• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
World's Edge has not a lot of POI, a lot of open areas that'll make you feel like a sitting duck when you'll inevitably have to cross them, and very very brutal choke points that you just cannot avoid in a clever way, which reinforces the luck factor of having dropped in a good or bad location related to the ring position in the first place. Also, everybody drops at Fragments.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Annoying to navigate, sparse, everyone drops at Fragment.

Adding to this: The verticality and layout of the building structures is incredibly annoying to fight in; especially any of the buildings in Capitol City or Skyhook where you're running up and down 4 flights of stairs chasing the enemy until you die in a fuckin' stairwell from 1 of the 15 thermite grenades chucked into said stairwell. (atleast this is my experience, anyways.)

Also, getting caught in a bad area outside of the ring means certain death.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
All WE needs for more fun and less pro shit:

Cars because it feels like the biggest map with how sparse some spots are

Opening up of the absolutely brutal chokepoints across the map

Redoing fragment altogether. It doesn't work and 60% of the lobby goes there like it's fucking skull town. Delete it tbh

Bring back the s3 sky not this orange bullshit

--

All that said, hard to say if they update WE again or Olympus first. Justifications for both.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
All WE needs for more fun and less pro shit:

Cars because it feels like the biggest map with how sparse some spots are

Opening up of the absolutely brutal chokepoints across the map

Redoing fragment altogether. It doesn't work and 60% of the lobby goes there like it's fucking skull town. Delete it tbh

Bring back the s3 sky not this orange bullshit

--

All that said, hard to say if they update WE again or Olympus first. Justifications for both.

Easiest way to solve mobility issues on WE is probably just to add more zip lines across key areas. There's a zip on Olympus (can't remember the name of the area) that seems like it's 2 miles long. You can tell they were like "hmmmmm....this area is tough to navigate: ADD EXTRA LONG ZIP HERE."

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Annoying to navigate, sparse, everyone drops at Fragment.

It's weird because a lot of players also like it for these reasons.

The fact that it's annoying to navigate and 'sparse' makes it difficult to initiate third parties. Being third partied on Worlds Edge is arguably less common. But at the same time, finding fights is less common.

My big issues with it aren't really the pacing personally, I just think it has too many spots that are really poorly designed. The map has an over reliance on 3 and 4 story buildings where Apex's audio really does not hold up (I don't think any games audio would do this well). Chasing a Wraith around a 4 story building until we get third partied is not my idea of a good time, and dealing with all the Caustics that make it their life to try and hold these spaces isn't a tonne of fun either.

I think respawn know this is fairly shit design too, because you don't see this style of structure in Kings Canyon or Olympus. Everything is strictly one or two story, flat. Two story is readable because if you hear an audio cue and you don't see them you say 'oh, they must be above me' or if you hear them climb, then you know they're on the roof, but as soon as there are floors ABOVE AND BELOW you cripple the games readability. Unfortunately, since those buildings feature all over fragment and skyhook, which are two of the most popular drops, I'd say maybe 50% of the fighting in Worlds Edge involves fighting in these poorly designed spaces.

That design issue, and two key areas whose design that just fucking blows: train yard and harvester.

• Train yard sucks because all of the hanging train cars are near impenetrable defensive locations for any team that wants to play Caustic/Wattson. In late game circles you just can't do anything about a team that's up there. There's no route up that's even remotely safe, and even if you were to land on their roof, there's no way to force an engagement without dropping inside which is at best, a 50/50 (though these odds are much worse if you're dropping into Caustic gas).
  • Harvester sucks because line of sight is obscured in every angle, so you can't see anyone coming and the harvester itself makes non-stop noise making it very difficult to hear footsteps in this space. Meaning as teams rotate from fragment or sorting will roll up without any notice.
So between all that, you have a lot of fights, which in my opinion, are just bad by design mostly due to issues with obscured or hidden information. Apex audio (and headphone audio in general) and constantly obscured sightlines really harm fights at fragment, impacting their readability compared to almost any other space on any of Apex's maps, and then places like train yard are just annoying because they have positions of power that are easy to acquire, and very difficult to circumvent.

I think this design emerged because for whatever reason, a lot of the early S1 and S2 community were Titanfall players who had a tendency to idolise angel city. Angel city is a map design from Titanfall 1 and 2 that's packed with rooftops to sit on top of, and occasional 3/4 story buildings. In theory it's fun because have folks wall running all over the place in that game, so the movement is very fast and no one is sitting in one space for too long, but I think the design doesn't really work in Apex Legends because you just see teams sitting on rooftops, holding angles on stairwells and whatnot.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I totally get your view point, and I think it makes sense. Again, I just didn't know the state of the Era community (if there was one, what the goals were, etc). My goal is not to step on any toes or do anything redundant, and I'll admit to not having read the OT and seen this info when I initially started posting.

Based on a few responses I got in this thread, it seems like others may have missed this info, too. To copy and paste from the OT:

There is 1 member in the ApexEra club on PS4 that I found on the Iowa server. Is there another one somewhere on a different server with more people? I've sent a request to rejoin ResetEraEU since that seems to be the only one with anyone in it.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I totally hate Fragment and hope they blow that up again when they bring WE back. Or just make it Capital City again, I don't know. I don't remember hating that part of the map as much back then, but it was only there for a single season. The center of that map just sucks as is.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yeah, the lighting of the 2nd version of WE always bugged the hell out of me, it gets so exhausting to play in it for a long time.

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
Zealuu I've accepted your request to the Club, welcome!
CruJones33Rad you're back in too.

I think at this point there are several people from outside the EU so there should be a range of times when people are online.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The middle point of WE is my noº1 reason why that map sucks. Those choke points suck all the fun from the few places that actually are fun to play in. Also, there are a lot of places no one really goes to, specially towards the edges of the map. Few rings end there and they aren't that bad actually.

+1 to the Spitfire sentiment. It's a beast. I struggle to choose between the Spitfire and 30 30 for my heavy weapon. Spitfire + R99 + crafting a purple backpack early on is a winning combo.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Thanks Moksha.

I am loving the R99/Volt combo but will take a r-301 or the Spitfire it's there. I tend to hit about every 5th bullet with the purple mag, which is usually enough, but it's still too wild for my taste. I've started watching my clips in slow mo watching my tracking and I'm too slow to correct for it's spray.

The audio feedback and feel of the Volt is the best in the game for me.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
I have recently gotten back into this over the past week or so after not playing since it first was released. I sucked then, and I'm still not great now, but I've been enjoying myself. I jsut play with random people on the pc and have a good time pinging and sticking with the squad. I've got 6 wins over the past week which probably isnt great but it's fun.

I dont have anybody new since release unlocked, and I usually play and Bangalore. Who is good to unlock?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I have recently gotten back into this over the past week or so after not playing since it first was released. I sucked then, and I'm still not great now, but I've been enjoying myself. I jsut play with random people on the pc and have a good time pinging and sticking with the squad. I've got 6 wins over the past week which probably isnt great but it's fun.

I dont have anybody new since release unlocked, and I usually play and Bangalore. Who is good to unlock?
Depends on your play style, really. What do you like about Bangalore?

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Had a brilliant win last night where my entire team's ults all perfectly meshed to wipe the floor of the last squad. They had just wrapped up a fight alongside the wall of the warp tunnel on Olympus. Octane threw a perfectly-placed jump pad that got us in position to third party immediately. I threw my Horizon ult to their left, Fuse threw his ult to their right, and they had nowhere to go other than their death boxes.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I have now scientifically determined that Caustics are indeed the worst.
He is definitely overdue for a nerf. I watched ALGS last night and all I could see was gas. I think there is value in that character but it's hard to even be entertained by plays when you can't tell what's going on and people are dying from random gas instead of targeted bullets.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
New favorite combo: Eva + G7 scout with a 3X HCOG. Just did 2K+ damage and won a super sweaty match with these little bad boys.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
I think GungJoe mentioned this, but something looks markedly better about Kings Canyon this season. Did they improve the textures? It's like they removed a layer of film that was all over everything. I always thought KC looked OK but now it's up there with Olympus and WE in terms of the visuals.
I believe it's just some sort of color filter, last time they had a red filter, now it's blue.
I like worlds edge quite a bit. Upon release, I thought it was amazing. I definitely cooled on it a bit over time, but I think there is a good amount of diversity between key locations and visual style of the three maps that they make for a really good rotation.
However, it can be annoying if you have an hour to play and the rotation is not on your preferred map. I'm not sure what they plan to do with the rotation of the three maps in the future. There will be a fourth at some point too.

Saying that, I hate hot dropping into Capitol city, especially since the re-work.
I've got no problems with World's Edge, I think it's a fun map. I love Fragment as that place is always hot, but you can kinda pick how hot you want it depending, you can go the 7th layer of hell hot and land in the four story building, or you can pick some of the surrounding area for a little less intensity.

Skyhook is a nice alternative landing zone too. I can't stand landing away from everyone on WE though, might not see people for 10+ minutes.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Man I really fucking hate updates on the ps4.

400mb download? No worries 1 minute to download.

:SUPRISE: copying time ( 20 or more minutes...)

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I haven't played any today so I just downloaded this update on PS4 and I can't get past the main menu. I've tried restarting the game and and my console, and switching to another account and nothing. Tried to use a different server as well and that didn't seem to change anything.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I got the update on XSX, but I couldn't tell what was new. It sucks to hear that it's affecting some players' ability to actually play the game, though.

Unrelated: does anyone know what the currency is that looks like 2 pieces of paper side by side? I earned some of it for completing some objective, but couldn't actually tell what it was. It looked different from the rest of the currency I've seen (coins, crafting material, the red symbol).

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I got the update on XSX, but I couldn't tell what was new. It sucks to hear that it's affecting some players' ability to actually play the game, though.

Unrelated: does anyone know what the currency is that looks like 2 pieces of paper side by side? I earned some of it for completing some objective, but couldn't actually tell what it was. It looked different from the rest of the currency I've seen (coins, crafting material, the red symbol).
It's for the Anniversary event challenge track.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
There's good days, bad days, and days where the stars align in horribleness. Nothing was working tonight. Teammates going solo, teammates quitting when they die, teammates quitting before we hit the ground, and most of all my own mechanics. Couldn't land a shot on a stationary Trident from 20m. Just nothing was landing. Eesh.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woohoo, won two games in a row, that was fun. I knocked a team with a well-placed grenade -that's always fun. I never throw grenades (I find them finicky) but they were around a corner in a hallway so I thought "why not?"

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I had an interesting experience tonight:

I solo queued and paired with an Octane and a Pathfinder. Both the Pathfinder and I have the Black Lives Matter badge on. It just so happened that the Octane was the jump master. Using the text to speech option the Octane says, "All lives matter a-holes" and proceeded to try and suicide drop the squad. Luckily the Pathfinder and I caught on and disbanded from him early. Crazy...

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I had an interesting experience tonight:

I solo queued and paired with an Octane and a Pathfinder. Both the Pathfinder and I have the Black Lives Matter badge on. It just so happened that the Octane was the jump master. Using the text to speech option the Octane says, "All lives matter a-holes" and proceeded to try and suicide drop the squad. Luckily the Pathfinder and I caught on and disbanded from him early. Crazy...

That's fucked up, but not super surprising. I've been in groups before that suicide dropped us, although I don't know if it's because I also have a BLM badge (I keep chat muted and don't have speech to text enabled). I can't help but wonder if I sometimes get paired with people that are triggered by that badge, though.

Conversely, I always tend to think a little more highly of randos that I'm pared with that do have that badge.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
There's good days, bad days, and days where the stars align in horribleness. Nothing was working tonight. Teammates going solo, teammates quitting when they die, teammates quitting before we hit the ground, and most of all my own mechanics. Couldn't land a shot on a stationary Trident from 20m. Just nothing was landing. Eesh.

Ha, same. Had one of my worst days in Apex yesterday. First I couldn't hit anything, and then once I got warmed up and starting playing well, I was left with teammates who either quit before we even dropped, or just behaved completely inexplicably weirdly. One guy - who also must have had like 500 ping - would constantly pick up grenades and immediately throw them all over the place. (????)

Eventually I just grinded through the daily challenges and decided to come back the next day.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize there was a BLM badge, will have to try to remember grabbing it tomorrow if I can.

Had some internet issues the last month so been away from Apex until the other day when I resolved my issues and downloaded the season 8 update. Of course now I got the infinite loading screen bug going on my main account, so I had to make up a new PSN account to use until it gets patched.

So I've been slowly working my way back into this game. Seemingly being put into easier lobbies because they think I'm a rookie. Worked out well though, had maybe my best overall game. 15 kills, 3000 damage, an easy handling of the last few squads; all the while the randoms I played with held their own (neither hit half the kills or damage I had, but they weren't useless).

Feels good to smoke the competition without breaking a sweat.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
Had some internet issues the last month so been away from Apex until the other day when I resolved my issues and downloaded the season 8 update. Of course now I got the infinite loading screen bug going on my main account, so I had to make up a new PSN account to use until it gets patched.

Feels good to smoke the competition without breaking a sweat.
Huh, I myself am getting the infinite load bug and I also created a brand new account but the bug also occurs on that account as well.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I myself am getting the infinite load bug and I also created a brand new account but the bug also occurs on that account as well.
Damn, that's unfortunate for you.

I saw on the messages board on EA's site saying some people had success with making a 2nd account to use, so I did and got lucky.

Hopefully for both our sakes, the next update fixes it. I don't want to have to re-unlock every character.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
The more I play, the more I hate finding myself in a group that wants to set up a bunker somewhere when attacked. Whenever I find myself in a situation like that, I feel like all we're doing is slowing our inevitable death. Either falling back elsewhere or pushing up on the attacking team seem to get better results regularly, and even if you still die it's a lot more fun.