• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Just had a match with a hacker in it, or perhaps to be precise a bot, since the movement is really weird. It beat us early in the game, so I'm not really mad and I spectated the whole match from its perspective. It's able to hit all rounds with the R-99, even if the targets were far away. When it's inside the bunker in KC, it seems a bit struggling since there's Wattson with her fences.

Never cease to amaze me that some people enjoy playing and winning multiplayer matches without even play the game.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
I've actually been having fun playing as revenant recently. People are definitely reliant on the sound of footsteps in this game so creeping around silently is a lot of fun!

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
just got called a "f*ing noob" over and over again by someone who turned into a box because their sniping position was outside the match and they forgot to heed the timer. the box dropped right in front of the other team and the last respawn beacon was on the other side of the final ring, nevertheless they thought it well to keep on pinging. i had already revived them twice from their previous solo push mishaps. some people really need to learn to take the L.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
just got called a "f*ing noob" over and over again by someone who turned into a box because their sniping position was outside the match and they forgot to heed the timer. the box dropped right in front of the other team and the last respawn beacon was on the other side of the final ring, nevertheless they thought it well to keep on pinging. i had already revived them twice from their previous solo push mishaps. some people really need to learn to take the L.

I'm muting at character select every game now lol

[edit]and dropping solo to actually get firefights that don't end the game at 30 seconds in because the 2 smoothers I'm playing with have no strategic sense or aim. How many fucking 600+ damage 30 second games i've had to suffer through christ.

Last edited:

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Anyone else get really unlucky landing the killing blow? A lot of matches i'll have the most damage but the least kills. Just finished a game with 2.4k damage and 2 kills whilst Octane squadmate hhad 1.2k and 12 kills. Ofc winning the game is what counts so i'm not about to get salty over it, and it's usually a sign of good teamplay, but sometimes it feels bad man - especially when my kdr kinda sucks.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Anyone else get really unlucky landing the killing blow? A lot of matches i'll have the most damage but the least kills. Just finished a game with 2.4k damage and 2 kills whilst Octane squadmate hhad 1.2k and 12 kills. Ofc winning the game is what counts so i'm not about to get salty over it, and it's usually a sign of good teamplay, but sometimes it feels bad man - especially when my kdr kinda sucks.
This is why I rarely snipe haha

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I'm muting at character select every game now lol

[edit]and dropping solo to actually get firefights that don't end the game at 30 seconds in because the 2 smoothers I'm playing with have no strategic sense or aim. How many fucking 600+ damage 30 second games i've had to suffer through christ.

What the hell is a "smoother" 👀

I feel like some NBC News reporter in the 80s trying to learn this "rap music thing that's taking the world by storm."

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Got two dubs this morning before I went to work, managed to grind out the Mozambique charm as well.

I'm convinced that The Devotion is Schrodinger's weapon.

It is both Overpowered as Fuck and Fucking Worthless depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Mar 19, 2018
I'm back to this game since I think season 3 and holy shit I am so bad. Valorant & warzone have conditioned me to play so slow and campy I just get bull rushed every game it feels like.

Mar 19, 2020
I feel like there needs to be a thread of "Randos do the Darnedest Things!" Like, the amount of times they do something just entirely devoid of thought that it's almost comical are too many to count.

Like, don't hear me wrong, I make dumb calls too. But never in a million years would I run up to the top of one of those spinning farms without saying/pinging anything knowing the last squad is there with LMGs read to mulch me. Spoiler alert, they were mulched, Rando #2 decided that after Rando #1 got mulched was the time to run the exact same path to avenge them. Was mulched. I was almost not mulched. We lost a very good and winnable match.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This was one of my highlights of my matches today.

Also I have more than 15,000 kills on Octane now. Hit that milestone a few days ago. I have something like 37,000 on my account overall but I'm pretty dedicated to being an Octane main now.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
This was one of my highlights of my matches today.

Also I have more than 15,000 kills on Octane now. Hit that milestone a few days ago. I have something like 37,000 on my account overall but I'm pretty dedicated to being an Octane main now.

Rare photograph of Joe playing Apex.

lightningspeed.jpg

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I'm convinced that The Devotion is Schrodinger's weapon.

It is both Overpowered as Fuck and Fucking Worthless depending on which way the wind is blowing.

I've had some success with it. If I can't find a Flatline, Volt, R-99 or whatever I'll happily settle for one. I read some technical argument against the entire LMG class of weapons once, but I'm not clued enough in to the meta and technical details of the weapons to fully understand what it was about. If anybody wants to enlighten me feel free

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck. I'm addicted to Apex again.

Question: If I'm getting Bang, Crypto or Gibby ulted and I were to pop a shield cell to try and offset the damage during the ult, does it work? Or does it just wipe both the shield cell recharging and my shields regardless. In other words, is there anything to do during their units which can help mitigate damage besides hiding under cover?

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry why are you playing ranked if you won't use my death totem to push a fight and instead dive and get downed?

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017

Question: If I'm getting Bang, Crypto or Gibby ulted and I were to pop a shield cell to try and offset the damage during the ult, does it work? Or does it just wipe both the shield cell recharging and my shields regardless. In other words, is there anything to do during their units which can help mitigate damage besides hiding under cover?

You get the health you healed back, what I like to do often during a crypto ult is if I'm not at full shields I'll start using a battery before the ult hits me, then crypto takes his 50 damage, and then the battery goes off just afterwards, so while I might still be stunned I''ll at least be at full health for the enemy team to push.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I've had some success with it. If I can't find a Flatline, Volt, R-99 or whatever I'll happily settle for one. I read some technical argument against the entire LMG class of weapons once, but I'm not clued enough in to the meta and technical details of the weapons to fully understand what it was about. If anybody wants to enlighten me feel free
LMGs have slow ADS movement. That's their major downside. If you're at the right range and it works for you, there's nothing wrong with them. L-Star is kinda more like an SMG, and Devotion has wild DPS potential with a turbo, but between the slow movement and the middling DPS, Spitfire's gonna get the short end of the stick in most close range encounters.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
You get the health you healed back, what I like to do often during a crypto ult is if I'm not at full shields I'll start using a battery before the ult hits me, then crypto takes his 50 damage, and then the battery goes off just afterwards, so while I might still be stunned I''ll at least be at full health for the enemy team to push.

Niiiice. Will try that.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018

If you have a smidge of damage and get ulted and start using a cell/battery then whatever damage you incur while using it will be somewhat mitigated when you finish using it.

For example if I'm at 175/200 and start using a cell and get Crypto ulted then if the Cell finishes I'll be at 150/200 instead of 125/200.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Could also drop your armor before the drone pops. :P
Edit: Ignore this, am wrong, been fixed.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah it works, but obviously you need to have taken damage already to start the bat, plus I don't think it's worth it against a bang or gibby ult, you should just get out of the way.

Just because the Bang ult actually stuns you for ages and the gibby ult can outright kill you.

In ranked a strategy against crypto teams is to avoid healing to full so that when they EMP you can pre-bat.

For crypto it used to be that you could open your inventory then drop your armour and regrab it after the ult hits, but they patched that out and now the shields take damage even if they're on the floor.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
LMGs have slow ADS movement. That's their major downside. If you're at the right range and it works for you, there's nothing wrong with them. L-Star is kinda more like an SMG, and Devotion has wild DPS potential with a turbo, but between the slow movement and the middling DPS, Spitfire's gonna get the short end of the stick in most close range encounters.

I will say horizon specifically is amazing with the spitfire, since her passive air strafe inside her lift is the same speed with all weapons so it lets her ADS strafe much faster than the gun is designed for.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
That hasn't worked for like 3 seasons lol, they patched it.
They what! Good thing I haven't tried it in an important moment in forever. Figures I'd miss something in my general time away during S4,5 and 6. Thanks for the correction though.

I will say horizon specifically is amazing with the spitfire, since her passive air strafe inside her lift is the same speed with all weapons so it lets her ADS strafe much faster than the gun is designed for.
As someone who has been trying to give Horizon some love and attention, this is very good to know.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
As someone who has been trying to give Horizon some love and attention, this is very good to know.

This thing about Horizon and LMGs is the specific argument I saw the in the past, for the record. "Something something Horizon negates the downside of LMGs" and I was like but what??? is the downside??? So all this is good to know, thanks for clearing it up.

Was gonna unlock Horizon next anyway, though I am flip-flopping between her and Octane. I know I'll get them all eventually, but each unlock does represent a good few hours of playing, so the order in which I unlock them still matters a bit. Or at least it feels like it does - unlocking Caustic first because I enjoyed Gibraltar seems to have been a mistake. I've had a few good games with him, but I feel like his entire kit "engenders passivity", as the saying goes.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else just play like an idiot when ever they use revenants totem? I swear everytime I use one I just get immediately lasered and sent back without having done much of anything.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else just play like an idiot when ever they use revenants totem? I swear everytime I use one I just get immediately lasered and sent back without having done much of anything.
Yeah lol. I see the timer ticking down and I just panic and rush straight into the enemy like a headless chicken.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
If I'm playing solo I like to have a bit of fun with Revenant and just sneak around and see who I can ambush, I love it!

Oct 31, 2017
I am convinced that solo queueing in regular trios in this game, right now, is one of the absolute worst matchmaking experiences I've ever had.

It is unbearably bad.

I feel lucky getting a game with 2 teammates beyond the legend select screen, and they are almost always nowhere close to my skill/playstyle.

What happened?

I feel like in the first year this game was really enjoyable to solo queue. Now though? It's TERRIBLE.

Do I have to solo queue ranked?

I've played probably 30 games today.

I've probably had a full squad actually land and move around the first zone in perhaps 10 of those games.

In those 10 games, maybe 3 of them I had teammates that could deal over 100 damage and live beyond the first squad fight.

As someone who is competitive but plays casually, it is extremely unfun. And it's day in and day out for me trying to solo. If the game graces me with teammates solo 8/10 odds they are going to be far below my skill and pace.

It's seriously like the game has me handicapped deliberately, virtually every single game. Who would want to endure this?

The easy answer is to "party up", but really, the matchmaking is so unbelievably bad that I just have to constantly ask "why?".

Is it because of playerbase attrition? I would think this game's population would remain healthy and relatively diverse. but man, it just feels like playing this as a solo is a total burden and I don't know why, especially since it didn't feel this bad the last time I really played it solo a lot over a year ago.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
I am convinced that solo queueing in regular trios in this game, right now, is one of the absolute worst matchmaking experiences I've ever had.

It is unbearably bad.

I feel lucky getting a game with 2 teammates beyond the legend select screen, and they are almost always nowhere close to my skill/playstyle.

What happened?

I feel like in the first year this game was really enjoyable to solo queue. Now though? It's TERRIBLE.

Do I have to solo queue ranked?

I've played probably 30 games today.

I've probably had a full squad actually land and move around the first zone in perhaps 10 of those games.

In those 10 games, maybe 3 of them I had teammates that could deal over 100 damage and live beyond the first squad fight.

As someone who is competitive but plays casually, it is extremely unfun. And it's day in and day out for me trying to solo. If the game graces me with teammates solo 8/10 odds they are going to be far below my skill and pace.

It's seriously like the game has me handicapped deliberately, virtually every single game. Who would want to endure this?

The easy answer is to "party up", but really, the matchmaking is so unbelievably bad that I just have to constantly ask "why?".

Is it because of playerbase attrition? I would think this game's population would remain healthy and relatively diverse. but man, it just feels like playing this as a solo is a total burden and I don't know why, especially since it didn't feel this bad the last time I really played it solo a lot over a year ago.

Gonna have to say that I have had a very similar playing experience to yourself. It can be pretty hard to play in my preferred playstyle (being very aggressive) because if I do end up going down it's almost a foregone conclusion that my teammates won't be able to finish the fight.

Now I've heard speculation that the game has something called EOMM, not SBMM. That is meant to make you keep coming back to the game, instead of matching you with similarly skilled players. One example is that they give you an easy lobby for your first game of the day, and it's something I've noticed myself but I almost always win my first game of the day, and then it gives you sacks of potatoes for several games after that to make it so you don't win and get frustrated and that frustration fuels you to keep playing.

Apex as a game has gotten worse over time, like on a fundamental level I feel like. They've introduced a bunch of nice QOL stuff over time sure, but shit like audio issues, all the weird ass networking and connection problems (my average ping over the last 3 seasons has increased from avg 60ms to 100ms), plus all the jitter and packet loss, we covered the matchmaking, plus there always a bunch of new fun bugs everytime they update the game.

I love the game, but I think that's mostly in spite of what respawn does and not because of them.

Oct 31, 2017
Gonna have to say that I have had a very similar playing experience to yourself. It can be pretty hard to play in my preferred playstyle (being very aggressive) because if I do end up going down it's almost a foregone conclusion that my teammates won't be able to finish the fight.

Now I've heard speculation that the game has something called EOMM, not SBMM. That is meant to make you keep coming back to the game, instead of matching you with similarly skilled players. One example is that they give you an easy lobby for your first game of the day, and it's something I've noticed myself but I almost always win my first game of the day, and then it gives you sacks of potatoes for several games after that to make it so you don't win and get frustrated and that frustration fuels you to keep playing.

Apex as a game has gotten worse over time, like on a fundamental level I feel like. They've introduced a bunch of nice QOL stuff over time sure, but shit like audio issues, all the weird ass networking and connection problems (my average ping over the last 3 seasons has increased from avg 60ms to 100ms), plus all the jitter and packet loss, we covered the matchmaking, plus there always a bunch of new fun bugs everytime they update the game.

I love the game, but I think that's mostly in spite of what respawn does and not because of them.
I 100% believe that the matchmaking is designed to maximize engagement like you say and that it gives you a taste of "what it could be" but then does a total 180 for 90% of a play session.

Like you mentioned, I also tend to have extremely high frequency of "good games" and outright wins on the very first match played in a day. My friends and I had noticed this correlation early on in its life (odds are much better for a win/highly favorable conditions in the first match of a day).

And yeah, I agree that after that first match, it then shifts you into a "cold skid", where it'll deliberately hard skew your odds at any kind of satisfying games (no teammates, way outside of skill teammates, griefers, etc.).

Then it's like right as you're getting towards your wits end, suddenly it graces you with another game with favorable conditions, almost as if on cue.

It's what I was trying to get at in a post in here the other day when I said solo matchmaking in Apex right now feels "borderline abusive". I meant that it'll butter you up and make you feel loved/high like you never have, but then the majority of the time it is just outright dragging you through the mud. And then, right as you're about to walk out the door, suddenly the game cranks the charm and you feel the high again.

It's almost like being in an abusive relationship. Right as you're psychologically checking out, the game goes "hey remember the good times? don't you want more of the good times?". And boom you're stuck chasing the dragon again.

I love the game too. The core gameplay is incredibly satisfying and IMO, when it's working right, it's the most fun FPS multi on the market right now. But so much that surrounds that core, tight gameplay; in particular regarding MM and server/network quality, is absolutely infuriating.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
I 100% believe that the matchmaking is designed to maximize engagement like you say and that it gives you a taste of "what it could be" but then does a total 180 for 90% of a play session.

Like you mentioned, I also tend to have extremely high frequency of "good games" and outright wins on the very first match played in a day. My friends and I had noticed this correlation early on in its life (odds are much better for a win/highly favorable conditions in the first match of a day).

And yeah, I agree that after that first match, it then shifts you into a "cold skid", where it'll deliberately hard skew your odds at any kind of satisfying games (no teammates, way outside of skill teammates, griefers, etc.).

Then it's like right as you're getting towards your wits end, suddenly it graces you with another game with favorable conditions, almost as if on cue.

It's what I was trying to get at in a post in here the other day when I said solo matchmaking in Apex right now feels "borderline abusive". I meant that it'll butter you up and make you feel loved/high like you never have, but then the majority of the time it is just outright dragging you through the mud. And then, right as you're about to walk out the door, suddenly the game cranks the charm and you feel the high again.

It's almost like being in an abusive relationship. Right as you're psychologically checking out, the game goes "hey remember the good times? don't you want more of the good times?". And boom you're stuck chasing the dragon again.

I love the game too. The core gameplay is incredibly satisfying and IMO, when it's working right, it's the most fun FPS multi on the market right now. But so much that surrounds that core, tight gameplay; in particular regarding MM and server/network quality, is absolutely infuriating.

If only those thing were working at their best all the time, just feels like such potential being squandered. I wouldn't even complain about the 24 tick servers if they could just get the other stuff right.

Oct 31, 2017
If only those thing were working at their best all the time, just feels like such potential being squandered. I wouldn't even complain about the 24 tick servers if they could just get the other stuff right.
With how vocal many pros have been towards the server quality in this game, you'd think they'd really be pushing to invest heavily into that fundamental part of the game.

I mainly just wish matchmaking was a little more consistent/fair and less punishing as a (semi-skilled) solo player. I want to play trios and I want it to be competitive and engaging in at least 50-75% of the games I play where losses feel mostly as a result of my own failure, or, just simply being fully outplayed as a cohesively working team that's relatively close in skill and playstyle.

Instead it feels like the game gives you mostly games that are wholly unwinnable from the very onset then will occasionally chuck you the kind of 'stars aligned' game out of pity and desire to keep your engagement high.

Like you mentioned, they don't want you to feel 'too good' at the game and 'get bored', so it feels like as a solo it goes out of its way to kneecap you to ensure you wont have too much success running solo.

I was watching Snip3down's stream the other night and he was solo-queueing in pub trios and he had two games back-to-back where the game didn't give him teammates right in legend select. That kind of thing happens with me constantly; I'm guaranteed to have at least 1 game in a play session down one teammate at the selection screen or have none at all. And when it happens game after game it just is psychologically draining and not a fun experience.

Maybe I should go to Ranked honestly when I'm solo-queuing, which seems counter-intuitive. But maybe there the matchmaking fuckery is less pronounced.

It does feel like they are somewhat squandering this game's potential, but then they've done that since Titanfall honestly.

With how much success this game has seen though and how they've expanded support for the game within EA, you'd think they'd really be honing in on the fundamental core of the game.

Maybe we won't see large scale improvements, beyond the scope of support we've already seen, until the next gen update...

Jan 11, 2019
I should have guessed there was Lore. I have not sought out The Lore for this game yet. But thanks for writing it up! After watching some streamers opine about characters I get the impression Revenant is the Reaper of this game. Am I wrong?

Verily. Revenant is a bitter, gruff asshole. If you're looking for the 3dg3l0rd then look no further than caustic. (Though I like him for his nihilism very much)

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
With how vocal many pros have been towards the server quality in this game, you'd think they'd really be pushing to invest heavily into that fundamental part of the game.

I mainly just wish matchmaking was a little more consistent/fair and less punishing as a (semi-skilled) solo player. I want to play trios and I want it to be competitive and engaging in at least 50-75% of the games I play where losses feel mostly as a result of my own failure, or, just simply being fully outplayed as a cohesively working team that's relatively close in skill and playstyle.

Instead it feels like the game gives you mostly games that are wholly unwinnable from the very onset then will occasionally chuck you the kind of 'stars aligned' game out of pity and desire to keep your engagement high.

Like you mentioned, they don't want you to feel 'too good' at the game and 'get bored', so it feels like as a solo it goes out of its way to kneecap you to ensure you wont have too much success running solo.

I was watching Snip3down's stream the other night and he was solo-queueing in pub trios and he had two games back-to-back where the game didn't give him teammates right in legend select. That kind of thing happens with me constantly; I'm guaranteed to have at least 1 game in a play session down one teammate at the selection screen or have none at all. And when it happens game after game it just is psychologically draining and not a fun experience.

Maybe I should go to Ranked honestly when I'm solo-queuing, which seems counter-intuitive. But maybe there the matchmaking fuckery is less pronounced.

It does feel like they are somewhat squandering this game's potential, but then they've done that since Titanfall honestly.

With how much success this game has seen though and how they've expanded support for the game within EA, you'd think they'd really be honing in on the fundamental core of the game.

Maybe we won't see large scale improvements, beyond the scope of support we've already seen, until the next gen update...

I'm in the same boat with you buddy, as far as my own skill I'm fairly confident I could make it to Masters if a couple things about my personal situation changed, (mostly having to play off the moblie hotspot off my phone and having a data cap)

Loading into the game without a full team or just solo is not an uncommon occurence for sure, plus the frequency of people leaving as soon as they are downed.

Ranked would at least imply a base level of proficiency at the game depending on the rank, but you'll still get bad teammates even in plat, usually people hardstuck plat iv, who play like cowards and never know when to push a fight.

I feel like all the server and network issues actually only get amplified when playing ranked matches in my experience.

As for adressing the issues we've been talking about, the next gen update is really my only bastion of hope for them ever tackling those issues, if it doesn't happen then I don't think they'll ever do anything about it.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I have to ask again: is there not an Era clan, or spreadsheet of people on this community who are down to party up? Given everyone's frustrations, it seems like a decent remedy to this, especially with crossplay being supported in the game.

I remember when I played Destiny 1 back in the day for a little bit, there were 3rd party websites people could funnel their groups through. Does nothing like that exist for Apex?