• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I guess at some point I need to figure out what heirlooms are.

Anyway, finally got my Lifeline win last night. How exactly does matchmaking in non-ranked games work? IS there matchmaking, or just complete randomness? I've been in squads with people who seem to literally have just picked up the game (like me, but even fresher) and also with people who are like level 200.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

Anyway, finally got my Lifeline win last night. How exactly does matchmaking in non-ranked games work? IS there matchmaking, or just complete randomness? I've been in squads with people who seem to literally have just picked up the game (like me, but even fresher) and also with people who are like level 200.
There's supposed to be Skill Based Matchmaking in this game, but I have no idea how it works. I still get thrown in lobbies with a bunch of 20 bomb, 4k Damage, 3 stack squads, while I'm solo queuing and my teammates are level 50s or something. It sucks.
they're just 'skins' for a characters melee attack. tied to their backstory usually.

you have a chance of getting shards with every pack you open, i believe.
You have a chance but it's a very small chance. Like literally less than 1% chance. But if at some point you ever get to 500 packs opened and you still hadn't gotten an Heirloom by then, you get Heirloom shards guaranteed on your 500th pack. Perspective: I've been playing this game since the day it was released, have bought every Battle Pass (which all give out packs), and I'm level 500 (you earn packs by levelling), and I STILL have not gotten a single Heirloom pack as yet. I honestly have no idea how many packs I've opened by now, and I really think there should be a counter or something that lets you know how far away you are from the "pity" Heirloom. I've definitely opened hundreds by now though.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
There's supposed to be Skill Based Matchmaking in this game, but I have no idea how it works. I still get thrown in lobbies with a bunch of 20 bomb, 4k Damage, 3 stack squads, while I'm solo queuing and my teammates are level 50s or something. It sucks.

You have a chance but it's a very small chance. Like literally less than 1% chance. But if at some point you ever get to 500 packs opened and you still hadn't gotten an Heirloom by then, you get Heirloom shards guaranteed on your 500th pack. Perspective: I've been playing this game since the day it was released, have bought every Battle Pass (which all give out packs), and I'm level 500 (you earn packs by levelling), and I STILL have not gotten a single Heirloom pack as yet. I honestly have no idea how many packs I've opened by now, and I really think there should be a counter or something that lets you know how far away you are from the "pity" Heirloom. I've definitely opened hundreds by now though.

Ah, so it's the heirlooms that make streamers run with like a hatchet when they're playing Bloodhound, then. Right. Don't think I've ever seen those shards, maybe I'll just fork out for one if it catches my fancy. I don't think EA needs my money, exactly, but I've paid 60 dollars for games that have kept me entertained for a lot shorter than Apex has.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018

All of this is unproven, but a lot of Apex vets think there is "streak-based" matchmaking in the game. You may get slammed with 7 straight sweat lobbies, then the game will give you a "pity" lobby of low level players to keep you engaged with the game.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
crumbs!

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
You should be able to try out unlockable characters in the shooting range to see if you like them before you commit to buying them. I'm enjoying the game and would actually be open to buying a character or two, but refuse to do so blind.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
You should be able to try out unlockable characters in the shooting range to see if you like them before you commit to buying them. I'm enjoying the game and would actually be open to buying a character or two, but refuse to do so blind.
Honestly, if you stick with the game you'll have enough Red Tokens to buy everyone. I currently have a stupid amount. I can buy all future characters that they release 10 times over.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
You know that the characters can be bought with free currency, right? They don't need real world money.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
All of this is unproven, but a lot of Apex vets think there is "streak-based" matchmaking in the game. You may get slammed with 7 straight sweat lobbies, then the game will give you a "pity" lobby of low level players to keep you engaged with the game.

Interesting. Don't think my own experience is a big enough sample size to say anything about it, but if it is like that, it's a peculiar way of doing things. I had assumed they based it on things like K/D and placements average. Anyway, whatever is going on under the hood, I'm currently loving it - I've been getting matched into squads with people who are both competent and present all day, and thus have won several games over the span of an afternoon (that might be routine for some people but it's a big deal for me!).

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Interesting. Don't think my own experience is a big enough sample size to say anything about it, but if it is like that, it's a peculiar way of doing things. I had assumed they based it on things like K/D and placements average. Anyway, whatever is going on under the hood, I'm currently loving it - I've been getting matched into squads with people who are both competent and present all day, and thus have won several games over the span of an afternoon (that might be routine for some people but it's a big deal for me!).
When the game clicks and you and your teammates are in sync there isn't a better FPS experience out there. On the other hand, sometimes nothing goes your way and you just have to admit that it's not your day and log off. That may just be the nature of battle royales but getting used to those peaks and valleys can be an adjustment.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Finally made it to Platinum for the first time after a painstaking solo grind with randoms. I'm not sure whether to push on or to just drop ranked now as i've heard soloing platinum is even more frustrating and after the randoms i dealt with in gold i can't put my sanity through that.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Finally made it to Platinum for the first time after a painstaking solo grind with randoms. I'm not sure whether to push on or to just drop ranked now as i've heard soloing platinum is even more frustrating and after the randoms i dealt with in gold i can't put my sanity through that.
Good for you! Yeah the highest I've ever gotten to is platinum and I just didn't feel like it was worth the grind playing solo beyond that. You made it to platinum fairly quickly in the season though, so doesn't hurt to give it a shot and see how it goes.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Honestly, if you stick with the game you'll have enough Red Tokens to buy everyone. I currently have a stupid amount. I can buy all future characters that they release 10 times over.

You know that the characters can be bought with free currency, right? They don't need real world money.

:O

I never saw those red tokens shown on the menu screen, so I never realized I had them.

... I just accidentally bought Horizon, haha. Thanks for the heads up, guys.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Good for you! Yeah the highest I've ever gotten to is platinum and I just didn't feel like it was worth the grind playing solo beyond that. You made it to platinum fairly quickly in the season though, so doesn't hurt to give it a shot and see how it goes.
Thank you! I was really determined to finally breakthrough to Plat so I managed to persevere. I'll give Plat a shot but i lack the will power and skill to make it through to diamond after that.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Solo Q grind is probably the least fun in this game than any other ranked shooter I've ever played.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you! I was really determined to finally breakthrough to Plat so I managed to persevere. I'll give Plat a shot but i lack the will power and skill to make it through to diamond after that.

I hit plat early this season and so far I'm finding that I'm getting better teammates so far than I did in Gold on average. In the past I held off on the climb once I hit Plat, but I'm going to go for it this time. From what I"m seeing, Diamond and up is where things turn to quicksand.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Still having a rough season. I've got about the same KD as last season, but I'm grinding it out with one or two kills per game instead of popping off every few games with 5-10.

Oct 31, 2017
If you have even the tiniest modicum of skill, solo-queuing in Apex right now is just pure misery; ranked or pubs, it doesn't matter.

The matchmaking in this game at this point, especially when you're playing solo, feels borderline abusive with how it doles games out.

I feel lucky to even have the game give me teammates sometimes, but then once in game it instantly becomes clear why it's decided to "grace" me with some. They almost always are fundamentally opposite from my skill level (mostly way less skilled, but on occasion way above my skill) and/or desired playstyle. This is something like 9 out of 10 games where the match quality just feels deliberately awful and the table severely and deliberately tilted against you.

Then, after the game feels like you've endured enough suffering at its hands, it will suddenly place you into a game where conditions across the board couldn't be more perfect: coordinating teammates that match up well, very smooth connection, and a good breadth of skill distribution amongst enemy squads that are more comparable to your actual skill.

It's like it tortures you just enough, and then right when you're about to walk away, it gifts you and suddenly you're once again singing its praise.

Pretty shitty. And I'm sure it's all extremely deliberate and "analyzed" to death by them internally on how to best "turn the psychological screws".

Oct 27, 2017
If you have even the tiniest modicum of skill, solo-queuing in Apex right now is just pure misery; ranked or pubs, it doesn't matter.

The matchmaking in this game at this point, especially when you're playing solo, feels borderline abusive with how it doles games out.

I feel lucky to even have the game give me teammates sometimes, but then once in game it instantly becomes clear why it's decided to "grace" me with some. They almost always are fundamentally opposite from my skill level (mostly way less skilled, but on occasion way above my skill) and/or desired playstyle. This is something like 9 out of 10 games where the match quality just feels deliberately awful and the table severely and deliberately tilted against you.

Then, after the game feels like you've endured enough suffering at its hands, it will suddenly place you into a game where conditions across the board couldn't be more perfect: coordinating teammates that match up well, very smooth connection, and a good breadth of skill distribution amongst enemy squads that are more comparable to your actual skill.

It's like it tortures you just enough, and then right when you're about to walk away, it gifts you and suddenly you're once again singing its praise.

Pretty shitty. And I'm sure it's all extremely deliberate and "analyzed" to death by them internally on how to best "turn the psychological screws".
Sounds like Warzone sbmm lol

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Is there no sort of Apex matchmaking Google document or something for Era users? Given its popularity here I just figured most of you were pairing up with each other.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

Apex MM is not perfect by any means, but it seems like a stretch to say it's deliberately/maliciously designed to provoke and tempt you.
How would the game know your "playstyle", let alone where exactly your "tipping point" is?

Sometimes the connection is bad; sometimes team mates aren't the best; sometimes you land in a match full of preds...
That's just the way the cookie crumbles. It's easy to cherry pick the worst bits and formulate some sort of pattern, because our brains love patterns.
But you've just gotta train yourself to blot out the worst bits and amplify the good ones. Your gameplay and enjoyment will surely increase.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, the most frustrated I've been in Apex is when I personally am doing poorly. I get bad teammates sometimes (and sometimes I bet I'm someone else's bad teammate, though not deliberately), but that's how it goes.

I'll be in teams that wipe out after a minute and I'll chuckle about the way in which we wiped or just shrug it off. I'm not interested in winning games, just having fun along the way.

Ad long as people aren't griefing or running off on their own, it's hard for me to get too upset at anyone.

Oct 31, 2017
Apex MM is not perfect by any means, but it seems like a stretch to say it's deliberately/maliciously designed to provoke and tempt you.
How would the game know your "playstyle", let alone where exactly your "tipping point" is?

Sometimes the connection is bad; sometimes team mates aren't the best; sometimes you land in a match full of preds...
That's just the way the cookie crumbles. It's easy to cherry pick the worst bits and formulate some sort of pattern, because our brains love patterns.
But you've just gotta train yourself to blot out the worst bits and amplify the good ones. Your gameplay and enjoyment will surely increase.
Oh I know it's probably just frustration talking, but it really does feel like the frequency of no teammates and "not good match stylistically or skill-wise" teammates happens the majority of solo-queue games. That that's the norm of matchmade games and the exception is the game giving you close-in-skill and playstyle team members.

In my short session today, I had 1 game with only a single teammate at character select, and another where a Wraith complained about the jumpmaster and quit immediately after land. Both games I finished 2nd as a random duo and almost assuredly would have won if I'd have had even a semi-competent third player. Those were the only close games. The others were filled with teammates that would either die immediately off spawn or go out of their way to work as a pre-made duo, not caring about the third player at all (me).

Yeah, the odds of having poor games are naturally higher. But it is strange how you'll go several games getting just terrible quality teammates/none at all, then all of a sudden you'll get 1 game in a session where everything is more or less 'perfect', or close.

I agree with the one guy earlier who said some people think the matchmaking is deliberately "streaky"; that it tries to give you cold runs with lesser odds, but then will give you a higher odds at success game after the cold-streak.

It happens all the time.

And it's also crazy how often you'll get terrible conditions in this game, go to criticize it, then the very next game "voila!" it's suddenly a great time!

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Oh I know it's probably just frustration talking, but it really does feel like the frequency of no teammates and "not good match stylistically or skill-wise" teammates happens the majority of solo-queue games. That that's the norm of matchmade games and the exception is the game giving you close-in-skill and playstyle team members.

In my short session today, I had 1 game with only a single teammate at character select, and another where a Wraith complained about the jumpmaster and quit immediately after land. Both games I finished 2nd as a random duo and almost assuredly would have won if I'd have had even a semi-competent third player. Those were the only close games. The others were filled with teammates that would either die immediately off spawn or go out of their way to work as a pre-made duo, not caring about the third player at all (me).

Yeah, the odds of having poor games are naturally higher. But it is strange how you'll go several games getting just terrible quality teammates/none at all, then all of a sudden you'll get 1 game in a session where everything is more or less 'perfect', or close.

I agree with the one guy earlier who said some people think the matchmaking is deliberately "streaky"; that it tries to give you cold runs with lesser odds, but then will give you a higher odds at success game after the cold-streak.

It happens all the time.

And it's also crazy how often you'll get terrible conditions in this game, go to criticize it, then the very next game "voila!" it's suddenly a great time!
I get it. When this game clicks it's poetry, but there are often times when it doesn't and a lot of those times that's out of your hands which makes it even more frustrating. I guess it comes down to are the good times worth sticking around for.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Honestly the only thing I wish for with this game is I could unmute the mics and not have toxic people on the other side. I am a solo randoms pubs player and I cannot even get a single match in without abuse.

Mar 19, 2020
I feel crazy, but after two years of adamantly rejecting snipers, I've started to pick them up and now they're a staple of my preferred kit. Maybe they aren't meta, but as a solo que most of the time they've let me support my randoms running off trying their best to be killed.

And they're just fun. I don't understand it, most of the time I hate sniping in games, but here we are...

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
And they're just fun. I don't understand it, most of the time I hate sniping in games, but here we are...
All the sniper rifles have fantastic audiovisual feedback. Even the Triple Take feels good when you tighten the spread and nail a headshot, and the Charge Rifle has that great punchy burst at the end. And obviously the Kraber, Longbow, and Sentinel have fantastic effects and animations.

They may lack in DPS but they are all incredibly fun to shoot.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I feel crazy, but after two years of adamantly rejecting snipers, I've started to pick them up and now they're a staple of my preferred kit. Maybe they aren't meta, but as a solo que most of the time they've let me support my randoms running off trying their best to be killed.

I totally get what you mean. I generally dislike sniping in games but it definitely feels good in Apex. I don't usually run with one in Apex these days but I went through a phase of constantly using them. They can be really effective.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so awkward....I've gotten 2 friend requests tonight to play more, but I feel so uncomfy saying yes and playing with strangers.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Oh boy watch out

I just got 2k damage with robot

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Had a nice 4k game today on Octane.

v06OUp1.jpg

Super funny thing was I was up at 3850 and the last person left was a lifeline who I had already cracked. So I had to let her shield up to get the 4k, but she REALLY didn't want to heal herself. I kept throwing her batteries and eventually my buddy threw her a phoenix kit and she used it. It took about 5 minutes for us to get her to heal.

I was surprised she didn't figure out what I wanted her to do and just quit the game haha.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I'm so awkward....I've gotten 2 friend requests tonight to play more, but I feel so uncomfy saying yes and playing with strangers.

I feel you, haha. There's nothing awkward about it - in a game like this especially it seems tricky to find someone who you can probably vibe with.

Had a nice 4k game today on Octane.

v06OUp1.jpg

Super funny thing was I was up at 3850 and the last person left was a lifeline who I had already cracked. So I had to let her shield up to get the 4k, but she REALLY didn't want to heal herself. I kept throwing her batteries and eventually my buddy threw her a phoenix kit and she used it. It took about 5 minutes for us to get her to heal.

I was surprised she didn't figure out what I wanted her to do and just quit the game haha.

Damn, I'm happy if I get 3-5 kills in a game. You guys are over there wiping out half the total players.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Wait, is Revenant a robot? I just thought he was a guy in a dramatic costume

To be (kinda pedantically) accurate, Pathfinder is an android, while Revenant is a cyborg. Revenant used to be a human, so that makes him different from Pathfinder that way. Crypto is just a bionically enhanced human being. Not even sure he is tbh, but he's definitely a human for sure.

Usually, when someone says "robot", it's just about Pathfinder though.
Revenant is a toxic white guy trapped in a cyborg body that can never die, so heh, sucks to be him I guess.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Here's a funny 1 vs 3.

I shouldn't have won to be honest. The gibby wanted to melee me, or he was so tense he kept accidentally clicking R3. Either way I managed to trick him with movement, which is funny.

And here's a nice bit of movement also. Definitely worth investing some time into wall bounces and stuff. I like the wall climb mostly (the one I do on the gibby in the first clip) since it tricks so many people. The easiest way to do it is on a door as someone is pushing the door, climb the wall then flip backwards and you'll often get free shots on the person entering the door.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is Revenant a robot? I just thought he was a guy in a dramatic costume
Revenant is a Simulacrum. He was once a living person but they placed his mind into a robot and he thought he was human that whole time, while they kept his human head elsewhere. I forgot the name of the organization that did this to him. He was an assassin, and they have since used his "source code" (his human head) to place his mind into multiple assassin bots. On a mission, one of the bot's programing failed and he was able to "see" himself as the robot in a reflection. All the while before, what he saw in his reflection was a normal human being. This caused its mind to break and is now the crazy murder bot we know as Revenant lol.

Revenant's mission now is to find his source code, and basically kill himself.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I feel you, haha. There's nothing awkward about it - in a game like this especially it seems tricky to find someone who you can probably vibe with.

Damn, I'm happy if I get 3-5 kills in a game. You guys are over there wiping out half the total players.

It's just a different in playstyle, mostly. I'm looking to push as many fights as possible, as quickly as possible, and when I can get team mates who have the same playstyle then we often roll the whole lobby pretty quickly. Obviously I also die a lot, mostly because I make hard pushes that I can't escape from when another team show up to be honest with you.

My friend described our playstyle as 'playing for clips and fun moments', which I think is fair. Like none of us really care about winning (I only start to care about winning the match when it's the last 2 or 3 squads), I only think about the fight in front of me and ending it as quickly as possible so that we can get to another fight.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Revenant is a Simulacrum. He is a living person but they placed his mind into a robot and he thought he was human that whole time, while they kept his human head elsewhere. I forgot the name of the organization that did this to him. He is an assassin. On one of his missions his programing failed and he was able to "see" himself as the robot in a reflection. All the while before, what he saw in his reflection was a normal human being. This caused his mind to break and he's now a crazy murder bot lol.

Ooooh, then I was wrong! Heh, regardless I don't like him :D

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
To be (kinda pendantically) accurate, Pathfinder is an android, while Revenant is a cyborg. Revenant used to be a human, so that makes him different from Pathfinder that way. Crypto is just a bionically enhanced human being. Not even sure he is tbh, but he's definitely a human for sure.

Usually, when someone says "robot", it's just about Pathfinder though.
Revenant is a toxic white guy trapped in a cyborg body that can never die, so heh, sucks to be him I guess.
Revenant is a Simulacrum. He was once a living person but they placed his mind into a robot and he thought he was human that whole time, while they kept his human head elsewhere. I forgot the name of the organization that did this to him. He was an assassin, and they have since used his "source code" (his human head) to place his mind into multiple assassin bots. On a mission, one of the bot's programing failed and he was able to "see" himself as the robot in a reflection. All the while before, what he saw in his reflection was a normal human being. This caused its mind to break and is now the crazy murder bot we know as Revenant lol.

Revenant's mission now is to find his source code, and basically kill himself.

I should have guessed there was Lore. I have not sought out The Lore for this game yet. But thanks for writing it up! After watching some streamers opine about characters I get the impression Revenant is the Reaper of this game. Am I wrong?

Anyway, just got my first win of the day after a few false starts. Hilariously we didn't really do much at the end. We were low on ammo and one of us had just been respawned, so were prepared for a tooth and nail fight with the two other remaining squads inside the last circle - and then the other squads seemed to forget that they were outside the ring while fighting one another, and just all dropped dead while we waited for them. Lol.