• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
nah he's talking about loot goblins rinsing boxes for everything whilst i'm talking about a half second swap lol

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Here's some top players and their sensitivities...

Snip3down = 4:3 classic
Nicewig = 6:4 classic
Daltoosh = 6:4 steady
Genburton = ALC (screenshot 1, screenshot 2)

The thing I like about Snip3down's is that essentially the games default, with a single increase in the hip aim sensitivity. It's easy to get to grips with, and it's easy to get consistent with. Higher sensitivities like 6:4 classic are definitely doable, but for me, I think the slower sensitivity just helps me be a lot more accurate at mid and long ranges. I think higher sensitives are doable for some players (might be a genetic quality that allows some people more fine motor control) but for me it just introduces a lot of inconsistency.

Tried Snip3down's settings today, definitely feels better for me than what I was using before (think it was 4:4 steady as written here). Like you said, much easier at medium range for sure. Your tips are always really insightful, man, thank you!

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Had a sensible chuckle just now when a team-mate pinged a Gold Mozambique and i dibs it with Fuse, "Save that for Fusey." Followed by an undibbing where he says "Nah just taking the piss."

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
It feels both good and bad to be on a team where one of your squadmates is so good they basically carry you, haha. I just imagine them sighing like a disappointed parent every time I get downed.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

The thing I like about Snip3down's is that essentially the games default, with a single increase in the hip aim sensitivity. It's easy to get to grips with, and it's easy to get consistent with. Higher sensitivities like 6:4 classic are definitely doable, but for me, I think the slower sensitivity just helps me be a lot more accurate at mid and long ranges. I think higher sensitives are doable for some players (might be a genetic quality that allows some people more fine motor control) but for me it just introduces a lot of inconsistency.

It's also the case that all of these players are using a controller, but on PC, where they have much higher framerates in Apex than we do on console. I think that makes the higher sensitivities and twitchier control settings, a bit more controllable because you're getting a smaller response time, so you get a more immediate on-screen reaction to your finer inputs. As is, I've tried playing with Genburton's control settings for days on end, and it's pretty much uncontrollable for me. I don't understand how he plays like that, but as I suggest, some players might just be built differently (some people have faster reactions, some people have better motor control etc).

As is though, I think the pro scene for controller players is actually super underdeveloped on Apex. Because there's no pro scene that specifically catered to console or controller players, so it's likely the case that none of these players are even the best controller players out there. Nevertheless, if you look at games like Call of Duty (where the comp scene for controller players is very well developed), almost all of the pro players play either on the default sensitivity (5-5) or just one notch above that with (6-6) which are pretty low sensitivities, akin to Apex's 3 and 4 (Apex goes up to 10 but Call of Duty goes to 20 so the scale is a little different).

Much appreciated, Joe!

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Only been playing for about 4 months, these servers are jekyll and hyde, one day EVERY SINGLE SHOT connects, straight beast mode, other days nothing connects, players are litterally running straight at me lol, today is trash, I got my dailies done, i am done for the day..

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

It's also the case that all of these players are using a controller, but on PC, where they have much higher framerates in Apex than we do on console. I think that makes the higher sensitivities and twitchier control settings, a bit more controllable because you're getting a smaller response time, so you get a more immediate on-screen reaction to your finer inputs. As is, I've tried playing with Genburton's control settings for days on end, and it's pretty much uncontrollable for me. I don't understand how he plays like that, but as I suggest, some players might just be built differently (some people have faster reactions, some people have better motor control etc).

As is though, I think the pro scene for controller players is actually super underdeveloped on Apex. Because there's no pro scene that specifically catered to console or controller players, so it's likely the case that none of these players are even the best controller players out there. Nevertheless, if you look at games like Call of Duty (where the comp scene for controller players is very well developed), almost all of the pro players play either on the 'medium' sensitivity (5-5) or just one notch above that with (6-6) which are both pretty low sensitivities, akin to Apex's 3 and 4 (Apex goes up to 10 but Call of Duty goes to 20 so the scale is a little different).
Thank you always for sharing your findings and such. It's really interesting and helpful.
I'm still using a slightly tweaked version of some ALC settings you shared previously, and since then I feel I've really gotten used to them. I'm not a beast, but on good days I really feel in control and that I have a good understanding of the curve.

However, seeing your 4:3 beaming makes me curious if I'm missing a trick. I may have to dabble in those simpler settings for a while and save the current ones just in case it doesn't work out.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
had one last "get top ten" to hit the final event reward
teammate drops us in a hot zone with tons of people and they both die/disconnect instantly, I run and hide and do granblue stuff in the meantime
later realize it's final three and the other teams have to be on the "wrong" side of the circle
wait for them to show up from the only viable path from the other side of the mountain, never see them and they die in the circle

0 damage victory baby #promoves

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think this game is hard because you're mixing different personalities and playstyles. I guess that can go for any multiplayer game really. But with Apex in particular, for me, I don't like standing around and looting all the time, but I don't want to push every single fight either. It's also important to know when to run and when to stand your ground, especially for someone like me where positioning plays a huge role into if I do good in a match or not because my aim/skill is average I'd say. I never remember to crouch spam lol in the thick of a fight lol.

I don't like to play defensively either. Getting a Caustic or Wattson teammate is something I rarely ever look forward to for example. I like to be on the move constantly. Videogames are hard. I also have developed a weird form of social anxiety where it's hard for me to party with people who I haven't played with in a good while. So when I get the occasional invite from GungJoe for example, it's either one of two things happening:

1. My son or wife is watching Netflix but for some reason the PS4 is showing that I'm playing Apex Legends. I don't know why it does that lol.
2. We haven't played together in a long time, and I get super nervous to join...

Yeahhhhh...

Agree with this totally, and it's funny because I've played a lot with Blades in the past and it often feels like I'm dragging him around because I have a faster playstyle. Nonetheless, everyone in pubs has a different agenda and if you're wanting to loot 3 pois before you start a fight, that's not going to gel with my playstyle. There has to be some acknowledgement of the fact that rushing fights is just a different playstyle, not a 'problem' with that guys playstyle or behaviour.

Most of the time, I play a little faster than the people I play with and I end up pushing fights ahead of them, but I make a point of not pushing too far, and I try to stay just ahead enough to encourage them to move forward with me. Often I'll initiate a fight and pull back to my team, so that most of the time everyone is involved. Of course sometimes it goes badly, and I get caught out by something I didn't see, and then I die, and in a lot of other instances I catch a third party at the right time, and kill everyone before my team even get there.

In any case, Apex is a first person shooter and I play it for the gunplay. I'm also very focused on self-improvement when I play, and that means that I usually want to get in as many fights as possible. My goal is always to kill the next team I can find, not to win the game, because I want to have a good time and put myself in lots of interesting gameplay scenarios.

In my opinion people just loot way too much in pubs and its really hurts the amount of action you get to see, and hurts their own experience of the game and ability to improve. Because you can't always be in the ideal perfect scenario before you initiate a fight, and at the same time as you're looting, someone else is snowballing from the gear of other players, and damage generated by evo shields.

Slow players are the team who end up at the end of the match with blue/purple shields and I call out to my team 'this fights free, they're still on blues', and we get to push them brainlessly because our gear has exceeded theirs, through fighting, because of our playstyle. Because of evos in particular as soon as I see the type of shield you have in the late game of a match, I get an impression of what type of player you are and that's going to make things really difficult for you very quickly.

Because of this, I just don't play with randoms anymore, because I don't want them to have a bad time. I respect that people have different playstyles, but I'm not interested in being part of a match that's slowed to a crawl because of someone's playstyle. So, the best thing for me to do is not to solo queue.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Most of the time, I play a little faster than the people I play with and I end up pushing fights ahead of them, but I make a point of not pushing too far, and I try to stay just ahead enough to encourage them to move forward with me.

And you often do that well, and know your own limits in order not to lose those fights before we all get there.
Most people think they can do that as well. But they truly absolutely cannot at all and end up dead before the entire team gets there.

I have a more cautious play-style, I like to analyze things and wait for the good opportunity to strike, I'm definitely not as aggressive as you. I try to keep up with you when I play with you though (granted that I'm not double-timing on Animal Crossing), cause I know that's how you play best, and because I feel I can rely on you in such cases. But that is absolutely not the case of the 95% aggressive randoms I play with in solo pubs.

It's also a good synergy for me, in the sense that I can learn a lot about pushing my play-style to be more aggressive if the odds are in my favor, and I think my journey in this game has been mainly about becoming more and more confident and aggressive as time went by. I still have a long way to go though, but it's interesting to see the progress made in that area over two years.

Also, my goal has always been Wins over Kills. I know sometimes I just wait strategically for the right time to strike, and I end up stealing a win from a whole team of 3 because of my good timing or my good positioning, and that is pretty satisfactory to me. It's making me feel clever than them, and that's the high I like to get from this game.

Like Wattson often says:
"You may be stronger, but I'm smarter!".
That's my whole shit right there. One may have a better aim than I do, but that doesn't necessarily mean one is gonna win over me.

Last edited:

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I don't mind someone poking around solo so long as they don't get themselves in too deep, which they inevitably do. The most common issue is not retreating when they are either outnumbered because we're not there yet, or one of us is down and we have the beacon yet they stay and fight and full squad with no shield as an octane or a wraith who could easily escape and be gone.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
How many cheats does this game have? I was sniping, down a player, and literally saw a Gibby pick up his parter in 1 sec, Gibby didn't bubble shield either, that rez was faster than Lifeline, too bad wasn't killed by them, can't report that shit..

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
I'm not one for blaming my shortcomings onto other people and will hold my hands up when i make a shit play, but i kid you not 90% of my deaths in this game are down to shit teammates and i just have to step away from the game after a while because i can feel the rage building. I just can't fathom how many people still don't understand the game. It's not as if most of these players are new judging by their ranks.

Dylan Dogood

Aug 13, 2019
Sweden
I was messing around with my sensitivity and whatnot at the start of this season, and it messed up my accuracy/overall game quite a lot. I switched back to 4:3 the other day and I've been beaming people again.

If anyone is unsure what sens to use on a controller then I think 4:3 classic is a strong bet. It's the sensitivity that's always done me well overall. Though some other options do have their advantages (like you can get better close range tracking on linear or faster sensitivities I think, but it also hurts your mid and long range game), I think 4:3 offers the best balance of long range accuracy and close range tracking. It's also the sensitivity and response curve that Snip3down uses, who is arguably the best controller player (at least in terms of his competitive results).

Got inspired by GungJoe's post and changed my settings to 4:3 classic.

I like it a lot. I found target acquisition and tracking easier, but recoil control a bit harder. I was previously using some custom ALC-settings that seemed to mirror the classic setting pretty close. I will definitely stick with it for awhile.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, what are 3 signs your random teammates will provide a terrible game/experience:

1. You drop into the exact building I do even though I ping where I'm going.
2. Your Jumpmaster drops immediately, doesn't ping any destination.
3. One or both get into a fight/shot at and don't ping any enemy location.

Within 30 seconds I can tell which way a match is gonna go. Probably 95% effective.

I cannot state how much 3 fills me with rage though. A team based game where information and mobility/location are vital, in which the developers crafted one of the best non-verbal communication methods in MP gaming, and you can't be assed to leverage it. I'd be livid were I a developer at Respawn. I mean, I'm livid now and I just play the game.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Alright, what are 3 signs your random teammates will provide a terrible game/experience:

Within 30 seconds I can tell which way a match is gonna go. Probably 95% effective.

I cannot state how much 3 fills me with rage though. A team based game where information and mobility/location are vital, in which the developers crafted one of the best non-verbal communication methods in MP gaming, and you can't be assed to leverage it. I'd be livid were I a developer at Respawn. I mean, I'm livid now and I just play the game.

I don't do number 2 or 3, but didn't realize 1 was frowned upon. Sometimes it's a pretty big building and/or I know there are enemies in close proximity, so I'm just trying to get any weapon.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I don't do number 2 or 3, but didn't realize 1 was frowned upon. Sometimes it's a pretty big building and/or I know there are enemies in close proximity, so I'm just trying to get any weapon.
I'd say those are fine situations, people just get pissed when a squadmate drops in the same 1-room building and now you're splitting like 6 items between the two of you.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what's going but for two days straight I've just been getting Lifeline teams mates who refuse to use her passive. Like, Lifeline's biggest strength is being able to pick up team-mates mid-fight and yet every single one I get either just runs off or continues to engage in situations where it would be much more beneficial to rez me.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
I don't know what's going but for two days straight I've just been getting Lifeline teams mates who refuse to use her passive. Like, Lifeline's biggest strength is being able to pick up team-mates mid-fight and yet every single one I get either just runs off or continues to engage in situations where it would be much more beneficial to rez me.
After season 8 patch and Wraith getting her Hitbox expanded, Lifeline is now the new hardest to hit character, so most of them think they are gods until my Mastiff hits them lol..

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience, most random lifelines appear to be oblivious to the passive revive.

I really wish they would highlight changes like that to players since I'm pretty sure none of my friends would even know about it without me reading all the patch notes every update. Of course, the Lifelines we are encountering may already know that ability but just don't think to use it, but it still seems like the game could explain it a bit more to people.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017

I sometimes do 1 on purpose and just pick up what my teammate leaves behind, especially if the drop is kinda hot. This way the other player at least has an immediate backup with a mozambigue, p2020 or some throwables.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say those are fine situations, people just get pissed when a squadmate drops in the same 1-room building and now you're splitting like 6 items between the two of you.
Yeah, this. If we for whatever reason landed in a super high activity spot I get it, but if it's us and crickets and a whole area for grabs, why? Spread out, cover ground and ping what's worth it.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

4. When an area is clearly looted but you stick around a couple of minutes longer than you need to. Made even worse when it's outside of the ring.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I'm so excited for season 9. Locked and Loaded is definitely the wave though and can keep me coming back to the game until Season 9.

Or even season 8.5 with the yet-to-come buffs. Should be a pretty good meta shakeup. I'm already liking the downfall of Wraith and the rise of Octane this season.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
The level of detail on Olympus is unreal. I can't get over the sheer scope of some of those areas. I still like KC the best these days, but Olympus is easily second place. WE can burn in a dumpster fire. 😂

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
The level of detail on Olympus is unreal. I can't get over the sheer scope of some of those areas. I still like KC the best these days, but Olympus is easily second place. WE can burn in a dumpster fire. 😂
I would be totally fine never seeing WE again and we just move on to a new third map.

I absolutely adore Olympus. If I could change anything, I feel like the POI with the two towers with skybridges should be closer to the center.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

Yeah, it's infuriating. Why pick her if you're going to ignore her skills?

One of the things players need to accept/learn is that there are battles you should run from.

Yuuuup. I like the thrill of combat, but sometimes you have to accept you're outgunned.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
you forgot #4. It's an octane with no mic :P

seriously, i play alot of Apex and those 3 things are good signs your teammates suck. If we drop hot and there's an octane and/or wraith on my team i usually quit the match. Prevents me from raging when they die and quit the match by themselves. I really want to find these ass hats after the match and tell them "I loved the way you ran into that room by yourself and viciously head butted all those bullets"

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, my last event loot tick was just an epic Spitfire skin and a non-event legendary Spitfire skin. :\

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Got my second event Loot Tick and got the Crimson Queen Bangalore Skin.

Fucking SWEET!

I got Hellcat Wraith from my other one :)

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017

It actually tilts the hell out of me, it's a literal game changing ability.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have been running into way more people doing the rev/octane pushes and wew that is disgusting as hell.

Oct 29, 2017

Feel this in my soul. Had a game this weekend where as we are dropping and getting close, I ping where Im going. A little off, but close enough where we can get to each other if a fight breaks out. As I land, a teammate lands beside me. Not super irritated, the building is big with a few paths, so my teammate is looting, I run ahead to let him have at so we aren't on top of one another. He literally is with me step for step, and as Im looking for stuff to grab, he keeps picking stuff up. THAT is irritating.

I hate hot dropping. I get wanting to get into the action, but as a solo player, this means Im heading back to the menu in about 15 seconds tops 97% of the time.

I hate that I feel Im always slamming the game, but it's out of love. I love gameplay, the weapons, the heroes, the systems at play, the graphics, the movement, etc., which makes it all the more frustrating that it seems like it's so hard to have a good game (not even talking about winning) or a game that takes longer than it did to queue up and select your character.