• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I have discovered the joys of playing Lifeline, but on an unrelated note - is Ranked any fun? Worth playing?
The nice thing about ranked is that your teammates generally don't bail right away. Public matches can be brutal for that if you're playing solo. I find ranked can be pretty fun until you start getting to the rank that you probably belong at, and then it starts feeling like every game is a brutal grind, like you've hit a wall.

You do get cosmetic rewards for hitting the higher tiers in ranked but I don't really think it's worth stressing over.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
Did they remove Ranked Point (RP) challenges? I haven't gotten one in a while and was just wondering.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
fuming. Lost a game because the enemy Banga had 0 reg in her smoke. Landed 5 Eva hits on her for a grand total of 0 damage. Got audio and visual indicators of hits, they were hits on my end.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Ranked is a mixed bag when you're queuing solo. Sometimes you get teamates that play it like it's the open lobby where they're running full on into the middle of a 4 team fight, sometimes you get the ones that are too passive to engage even in a 1 team v 1 team fight... and sometimes you get a team where everything gels and works together incredibly smoothly. And that mix stays true all the way through Platinum ranks. I really haven't seen a big difference between the quality of teammates or the quality of opponents in terms of skills or even tactics until you hit Plat. Primarily... the lower ranks are filled with far more straight forward aggressive players and the higher ones, more opportunistic ones (looking to take advantage of 3rd or more partying).

Generally though, Solo queuing Ranked really just requires that you can either carry like hell or come to accept that you're going to be frustrated with your squad half the time.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Through my limited experience with playing in ranked, it seems that while the quality of your team mates still vary, you at least get less people instantly leaving the match after dying. Which for me, is enough of a reason to play it more than regular.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
Ranked is a mixed bag when you're queuing solo. Sometimes you get teamates that play it like it's the open lobby where they're running full on into the middle of a 4 team fight, sometimes you get the ones that are too passive to engage even in a 1 team v 1 team fight... and sometimes you get a team where everything gels and works together incredibly smoothly. And that mix stays true all the way through Platinum ranks. I really haven't seen a big difference between the quality of teammates or the quality of opponents in terms of skills or even tactics until you hit Plat. Primarily... the lower ranks are filled with far more straight forward aggressive players and the higher ones, more opportunistic ones (looking to take advantage of 3rd or more partying).

Generally though, Solo queuing Ranked really just requires that you can either carry like hell or come to accept that you're going to be frustrated with your squad half the time.

A lot of advice I see from Apex content creators and such is that in solo queue, just don't care about your teammates, if they do something stupid and get themselves killed that's on them, if your goal is to rank up prioritize yourself.

Sounds like advice I should take myself tbh...

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
A lot of advice I see from Apex content creators and such is that in solo queue, just don't care about your teammates, if they do something stupid and get themselves killed that's on them, if your goal is to rank up prioritize yourself.

It is the way yes, that's the only way to make it work as a solo player grinding ranked.
Doesn't mean it's easy though. I always have the internal struggle of letting things go, and sometimes I can't quite shake it up and still try to save my teammates, to my own demise. I'm a dumb one, I never learn.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
It is the way yes, that's the only way to make it work as a solo player grinding ranked.
Doesn't mean it's easy though. I always have the internal struggle of letting things go, and sometimes I can't quite shake it up and still try to save my teammates, to my own demise. I'm a dumb one, I never learn.

I'm right there with you, I don't like to leave people behind either, even when they are essentially dead weight lol

Edit: I know that adding this feature would cause more problems than what it's worth, but I'd like to see my teammates damage during a match as well, just to see if going for that mid fight rez is actually worth it, would also help to shut up the the more toxic players who are actually ass at the game.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
fuming. Lost a game because the enemy Banga had 0 reg in her smoke. Landed 5 Eva hits on her for a grand total of 0 damage. Got audio and visual indicators of hits, they were hits on my end.

Next game we won clownshoes. Caught in the middle of the other 2 squads in a top 3, one squad decides "lol k" and leaves through bunker to the ring's edge (!), i'm downed, too. Easy pickings.

Nope, hero lifeline drops her res on me, they keep the squad back long enough for me to get up and YOLO 2 Longbow hits onto their red shield Wraith that downs her, clean up the rest as they're caught trying to heal lol.

Rotate around the cliff to the other side of bunker, catch the coward squad in the open. They retreat to a little nook behind the cliff, but i'm a Caustic and have my ult ready, so roast all 3 with it and then land Anvil hits as they all try to scramble out of it lol. 2 knocks, other runs to the ring wall as it's closing and has nowhere to go, with 3 of us just chucking out holo sprays waiting for him lol.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I'm a Lifeline main, so just leaving teammates to die is a hard habit to break. There's also the aspect of, whether our playstyles gel or not, having your squad up increases your chances of survival significantly. Especially given the prevalance of 3rd partying as an entire playstyle.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a Lifeline main, so just leaving teammates to die is a hard habit to break. There's also the aspect of, whether our playstyles gel or not, having your squad up increases your chances of survival significantly. Especially given the prevalance of 3rd partying as an entire playstyle.

Oh for sure I agree with that, but if they are down and out that's when the you gotta do the math. You get more points ratting to second or third than dying to a huge fight your teammates full sent into and died immediately at 15th

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Octane players may have dethroned Wraiths for worst teammates IMO.
Oh, for sure. The jump pad buff has made them more viable for team play but it's seldom i'll come across a octane that uses it in such a fashion. They either land hot, stim all the loot whilst the other two teammates are trying to survive, come back to the fight once rest of teammates are downed and die anyway, or stim rush into battle and die only to rage at other teammates despite giving no prior warning of engagement. 90% of Octane's i come across are toxic af and awful team players.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Which leads me onto the follow statement :- Can we all agree that Octane players are the fucking worst?
Octane players may have dethroned Wraiths for worst teammates IMO.
90% of Octane's i come across are toxic af and awful team players.
octane players are usually 11-14 year olds who think they're the shit, but they're not.
wraith players are usually 15-17 year olds who think they're the shit, but they're not.

if there's a wraith or octane jumpmaster on my team and they drop hot, i just leave the match.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
90% of Octane's i come across are toxic af and awful team players.
if there's a wraith or octane jumpmaster on my team and they drop hot, i just leave the match.

I honestly feel bad for both of you (not saying this in a patronizing way) as if played well, having an Octane in your team can really be fun if coordinated well, or just seeing one rushing to get your card if you end up downed and killed.

But yeah, from its ability and way of playing, and as the Dev already said, Octane is usually for players who rush and die quickly.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
My buddy uploaded a quick clip from one of our games today. I thought this was funny with all 3 players aping me hard near the end of the clip.

Also here's a fun clip

I'd love to see that play from the Pathfinders perspective.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

lol, just had this experience. I was in a team of 2 for trios (1 partner timed out), and my partner goes up one of those zip lines and tries to make it onto a ship, falls short, and his banner is on the ship. I think, "I don't know how to fly well. I've only not passed on being jump master once. I probably won't make the ship either if I try to go for the banner."

So, I go for the banner. And end up short. And die.

whoopsiedaisy.gif

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
haven't played since Rampart came out, kinda wanna go back in, just really curious about the current state of the weapon meta, has it changed that much?

Oct 31, 2017
haven't played since Rampart came out, kinda wanna go back in, just really curious about the current state of the weapon meta, has it changed that much?
Personally, I think the gun meta is the most balanced it's ever really been.

They added in the 30-30 Repeater this season, which is essentially a slower, heavy ammo G7 Scout counterpart. They also brought back the Anvil Receiver hop-up so the R-301 and Flatline have a bit more potential utility. These changes have brought the mid to mid-long range play back to the forefront in many ways, though close range assertive combat still succeeds.

They also did buffs to the Spitfire and the Alternator, both of which are absolutely worth trying out now. I've had games where I've shredded with both of them. Both of these went from "do not use" to "worth holding" IMO. Neither of them might be "Top meta" weapons, but I certainly think they are viable now.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention one of the biggest tweaks to the gun meta this season: the addition of gold magazines.

Gold mags have the same ammo capacity and physical reload speeds as their purple counterparts, but with the added perk of being able to pocket reload. Guns with a gold magazine will reload after 5.5 seconds of not being in your hands. Either swapping to your second gun, running around with no gun out, OR swapping to and/or using items (heals or ordnance) for that 5.5 seconds will trigger the gold mag reload.

Last edited:

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
I so badly wish for a replay function rn. I just had a lovely match where a duo of me and a random went up against a trio lobby and ended up with 14 kills total. We had one of those wonderfully hectic late rings where 6 squads are crammed into a single arena and everyone's firing, all at once, every team roughly matched and equally aggressive. Every kill paid for in effort and bravery... we didn't win but I can safely say everyone in those last 6 squads was having the time of their life. Just an endless 5 minutes of someone getting downed a couple times a minute, while the squad counter inexorably ticks down. It's gonna fuel me for the next 100 bad matches.

It also gave me a chance to properly appreciate Bang's kit. The potential on her smokes is crazy, you can smoke sniper nests, doors while you briefly open them to throw grenades towards enemies, to signpost lines of attack and then take an entirely different route. Her smokes are a whole extra limb, and you can use it to bluff.

The importance of abusing psychology in matches is kind of understated I think. I'm pretty sure I swung a few 1vs1 in my squaddie's favor by killing a downed enemy and rattling their adversary. She certainly did it for me.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
I miss the prowler, take the prowler out of the care package and put the devotion back in. I hate that gun

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Almost had a 3 win streak then I slid off the damn map on Olympus, lmao.

I guess I'm surprised it took me that long for it to happen but man that feels bad. Whole squad had red armor and we were absolutely kitted to fight the last two teams which were a solo and a duo.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Maybe it's because I ended up being on a team that won a couple of days ago, but the more I play Apex, the more I do think I'd like it more if it had a death match mode.

I don't care about winning BR, and I find the most satisfying matches the ones where I'm actually able to get some decent action in before I die. While the game isn't laborious to load back into, it's long enough where I'm growing a little restless with it.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Maybe it's because I ended up being on a team that won a couple of days ago, but the more I play Apex, the more I do think I'd like it more if it had a death match mode.

I don't care about winning BR, and I find the most satisfying matches the ones where I'm actually able to get some decent action in before I die.
Have you tried out Titanfall 2? If you like Apex` controls and how it feels to play, you should definitely check out TF2.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

I don't care about winning BR, and I find the most satisfying matches the ones where I'm actually able to get some decent action in before I die. While the game isn't laborious to load back into, it's long enough where I'm growing a little restless with it.

Yep. Bring on Arena. The shooting mechanics in Apex are so fun yet you spend 70% of the time looting vs actually shooting. Apex really needs an Arcade mode where people can take a break from BR. My hope was that one day they'd figure out how to take Titanfall and make it part of this but it's a pipe dream.

Jan 11, 2019
Some of the things I read in this thread... Octane bad? Dropping hot bad?

Octane rules and if you are one of these people who drop as far away from anyone as possible and make me wait until you're done looting a whole township and then die in the first firefight because that player has already got the best of 4 death boxes at their disposal then I'm not your friend. I always drop somewhat warm.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think Octane is one of the best characters in pubs right now. The only reason I think he's hard to use in ranked is because you're usually not one vs one against another team in the late game circles, so if you ever do attempt to use a bouncepad, you end up getting fried by a team on the side looking for an opportunity.

Even then, I think I could hit master with Octane pretty comfortably. I used to play ranked with Wattson but I don't think she's as useful now as when I used to play her. He's definitely not a bad character.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I had multiple ranked wins with Octane yesterday; he finally feels like a viable team player with the jump pad changes. Was able to rotate my team around a busy area with one jump pad, then another was used to gain height on a building that made it a super easy win where we could poke at pretty much everybody and retreat off of the building to heal before jumping back up to continue the pressure.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Yeah it's just perpetually loading for me. Pretty frustrating because I specifically woke up early today to play a bit before work.
Not sure if it's related to the Apex's server, but Steam was down as well when I was in a match. My pals and I were kicked out from the Steam voice chat.

That really sucks :/

I hope Respawn can fix the server soon. The past few weeks I encountered many problems with the server.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Have you tried out Titanfall 2? If you like Apex` controls and how it feels to play, you should definitely check out TF2.

Hah, I actually finally decided to give Apex a shot because I was re-playing TF2 and it's multiplayer mode. The problem is TF2 only has like 5000 concurrent players on consoles anyway, and it feels like the only people still playing it are super hardcore. I still had a blast replaying it last week, but I kept getting the same modes. There's also no straight TDM mode - I think the closest is attrition.

The maneuverability in TF2 still feels soooo damn good, though. I think it's what makes dying in it and Apex less of an annoyance. I can do better in CoD than either of them and still not have as much fun.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Hah, I actually finally decided to give Apex a shot because I was re-playing TF2 and it's multiplayer mode. The problem is TF2 only has like 5000 concurrent players on consoles anyway, and it feels like the only people still playing it are super hardcore. I still had a blast replaying it last week, but I kept getting the same modes. There's also no straight TDM mode - I think the closest is attrition.
I see. There`s Pilots vs Pilots which is the only straight forward TDM without Titans and Minions, but I don`t think it`s still super active.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
These comics are all over the place, I feel like they're really squandering an opportunity to tell interesting stories and expand the lore through these.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
These comics are all over the place, I feel like they're really squandering an opportunity to tell interesting stories and expand the lore through these.
Something feels off about how Respawn is writing these characters. It's like characters are just talking over each other and not conveying a coherent interaction with other people or things. The storytelling was way better when they were telling it through only text from season 5. Caustic having an unhealthy admiration for Wattson and the slow revelation of Ash being alive was really good.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This was a fun clip. Revenge for me because the Octane/Lifeline team actually killed my team mate two times. I revived him 2 times in the game and each time he died shortly after.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
This was a fun clip. Revenge for me because the Octane/Lifeline team actually killed my team mate two times. I revived him 2 times in the game and each time he died shortly after.

Quade hordak , see guys, it's worth staying with an Octane sometimes haha (just messing around with you guys, no offence I hope).

Beautiful clip btw, wish I would be that accurate with the Wingman.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Quade hordak , see guys, it's worth staying with an Octane sometimes haha (just messing around with you guys, no offence I hope).

Beautiful clip btw, wish I would be that accurate with the Wingman.
I have nothing against Octane and his abilities, they can definitely turn the tide of a firefight especially if you want to be aggressive, it just seems he attracts a certain kind of player that has an 'every man for himself' mentality. I just rarely have a good experience with an Octane player, but perhaps i've just been unlucky.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
BFSuA58.jpg

tenor.gif

Ranked, didn't get a third member at all. Whew.

(I've got potato quality clips if anyone cares :P)

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Beat me to it. Was gonna reply soon to a Homerbush.gif to your post above. And thanks. :P

To be fair the Wraith was a random Wraith and more or less went off with me trailing. But it worked out.
I probably came off a bit too strong originally, i was fresh off a few back to back games with some awful Octane's. I played with a great Octane earlier today whose jump pad pretty much won us a three way firefight and i did give him props for that. You're not all that bad ;) Also, post the clips!

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I probably came off a bit too strong originally, i was fresh off a few back to back games with some awful Octane's. I played with a great Octane earlier today whose jump pad pretty much won us a three way firefight and i did give him props for that. You're not all that bad ;) Also, post the clips!
Nah it's all jokes and you're right. Most Octane ranoms have a tendency to fuck off and do their own thing. Either out of desire to play death match or a woeful belief that they can overextend but make it back if the team gets into shit or they themselves sprint into bad news. I'm very much not an Octane main though, was playing him for challenges. :] Pathfinder main historically, but mostly trying Fuse and Horizon this season. Octane's new jump pad mechanics are fun though.
And as requested:

iCloud Photos - Apple iCloud

View, organize, and share photos and videos with iCloud Photos on the web. Changes will sync across your devices with iCloud.

View, organize, and share photos and videos with iCloud Photos on the web. Changes will sync across your devices with iCloud.

If these links aren't kosher lemme know and I'll try to up them elsewhere.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Nice plays there! Spitfire was definitely a good choice for the 3v2's with the clip size. I haven't tried it yet this season but the golden clip with the auto reload I really need to give it a shot. I'm loving the alternator this season, and just the weapon meta in general seems the healthiest it's ever been imo. Apex is in a really great place right now. Also, some nice clutch plays too, octane's repositioning is super effective when played right.