• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Crypto is still my favorite legend in this by a wide margin. He gels so well with how I like to play.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Ups and downs today. Got a Bangalore win, but I've also been grouped with people who are literally afk. What is up with that

Don't get isolated, prioritize survival, and avoid popular landing spots until you're confident you can win early fights. Being a trios noob is different from a solo BR - you can be a team player even if you're not the best at the whole shooting part.

I'm definitely planning to pass on being the jump master for a while. I'm okay at shooters in general, but the most intimidating part of BRs seems to be managing gear pickups. Thanks for the tips!

Biggest advice I can give is don't get discouraged, especially if you're someone that doesn't play a lot of shooters. There are a lot of systems at play, and it's simply going to take time and lots of bad games before you start to get a feel for how you play best.

When it clicks, though, it's the best FPS experience you can have right now imo.

Yeah, I think as long as I'm not spending more time in loading screens than on the map, hopefully I won't get too discouraged. I'm sure I'll die a lot before I start to figure out my preferred characters and play style, heh.

Thanks!

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
I'm going to give this game a shot today. I really enjoyed Titanfall 2 and even its multiplayer, despite not really playing online shooters in general.

Any tips for a noob? Will be playing with randos, I guess. Never played a battle royale before, either.
Gibraltar, Bangalore, and Bloodhound are all legends that are very easy to pick up and play without needing intimate knowledge of the game's systems and map layout. I would start with one of those three.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I often get carried, but sometimes I'm the one who carries, let's goooo! Pretty proud of the first three kills, cause holy hell were we off to a rocky start.
Thankfully my teammates were great, props to that horizon for giving me the gold backpack, and more importantly, for that much needed lift right at the end!

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I often get carried, but sometimes I'm the one who carries, let's goooo! Pretty proud of the first three kills, cause holy hell were we off to a rocky start.
Thankfully my teammates were great, props to that horizon for giving me the gold backpack, and more importantly, for that much needed lift right at the end!

That was a great final push/kill.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I'm okay at shooters in general, but the most intimidating part of BRs seems to be managing gear pickups.
Spend a little time in the firing range and get used to what the gun models look like in-game and play around with some to get a feel for what you like. Then when you're playing, you'll be able to ID guns quickly.

The rest of the loot is actually pretty straightforward. Gun attachments are virtually all straight upgrades, so it either fits or it doesn't. White > Blue > Purple > Gold. The interface will tell you if it doesn't fit your gun or if you already have something better, so just hoover up everything that fits. From there it's just ammo, nades, and heals.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Did they bork jumps from the ship? I've been attempting plain regular jumps to targets at ~600m away using the same angle I've been using for like 5+ seasons now since they changed jumpship/jumpmaster speed way way back, but I'm finding that about half the time I'm losing speed for no reason. I thought maybe I was not paying enough attention and drifting to the side a tiny bit by not holding directly up on the stick but I've been paying more attention now and I'm jumping like I always have.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Did they bork jumps from the ship? I've been attempting plain regular jumps to targets at ~600m away using the same angle I've been using for like 5+ seasons now since they changed jumpship/jumpmaster speed way way back, but I'm finding that about half the time I'm losing speed for no reason. I thought maybe I was not paying enough attention and drifting to the side a tiny bit by not holding directly up on the stick but I've been paying more attention now and I'm jumping like I always have.

You can easily manage to reach places that are 800/900 meters away if you make sure to do the waves (be a dolphin as they say). 600m shouldn't be hard at all. Just make sure to never go under 130, if you do, just harshly dip towards the floor in order to gain speed back up to 140+, and then quickly look up again... just keep doing that over and over, you'll see you'll be making "waves".

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
You can easily manage to reach places that are 800/900 meters away if you make sure to do the waves (be a dolphin as they say). 600m shouldn't be hard at all. Just make sure to never go under 130, if you do, just harshly dip towards the floor in order to gain speed back up to 140+, and then quickly look up again... just keep doing that over and over, you'll see you'll be making "waves".

Oh, I know how to jump 900+ meters. It's just that since last week I haven't been able to make simple diagonal jumps without losing speed. 600m away is about where you can make a diagonal jump straight to it and stay at about 145 but now I'm randomly losing speed and needing to dolphin, and at that point I usually come up short since the jump got fucked up.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Oh, I know how to jump 900+ meters. It's just that since last week I haven't been able to make simple diagonal jumps without losing speed. 600m away is about where you can make a diagonal jump straight to it and stay at about 145 but now I'm randomly losing speed and needing to dolphin, and at that point I usually come up short since the jump got fucked up.

Oh my bad for misunderstanding your problem there. I personally have not noticed that, but I'll pay attention next time I'm jumpmaster!

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017

This was happening to me last night. I came up short on 2 jumps I normally would have had no issues with making. Something was definitely changed.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Back to that matchmaking rut where i get the 2 thickest people in the player-pool vs divetrail chasers.

5 games deep now, dude runs past a dude to chase a squad, despite pings, gets about 50 metres from us and screams down the mic as he gets shot in the back.

Last edited:

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Back to that matchmaking rut where i get the 2 thickest people in the player-pool vs divetrail chasers.

5 games deep now, dude runs past a dude to chase a squad, despite pings, gets about 50 metres from us and screams down the mic as he gets shot in the back.

How's the Apex community mic/civility-wise? When playing with randoms do you find a lot of toxicity? I typically play with mics off (both incoming and outgoing), but don't wanna do that if it'll make it harder on my team.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
How's the Apex community mic/civility-wise? When playing with randoms do you find a lot of toxicity? I typically play with mics off (both incoming and outgoing), but don't wanna do that if it'll make it harder on my team.
They make it really easy to mute everybody before you even get into a match, but like with any game, there're gonna be people who are assholes. The ping system's so good that you generally don't even need mics involved unless you're going for higher, ranked play.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017

about 50% of my games end up really toxic. Racism and death threats. I wish the report system was reliable, I'd use it, but after seeing my bro cop a perm ban for cheating (doesn't cheat) i have no faith in the dev to do the right thing.

Zeroro is correct it's really easy to mute. Can do it with a single button press on the character select screen. Very useful.

Last edited:

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
They make it really easy to mute everybody before you even get into a match, but like with any game, there're gonna be people who are assholes. The ping system's so good that you generally don't even need mics involved unless you're going for higher, ranked play.

about 50% of my games end up really toxic. Racism and death threats. I wish the report system was reliable, I'd use it, but after seeing my bro cop a perm ban for cheating (doesn't cheat) i have no faith in the dev to do the right thing.

Zeroro is correct it's really easy to mute. Can do it with a single button press on the character select screen. Very useful.

Nice (not the toxicity and lack of moderation, but the ping system allowing for mic-free playing), I'm happy to hear that. Thanks for the speedy responses.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. I wasn't going crazy. Whenever my friends want to do a long jump, they give me jumpmaster because I can do the dip and glide really well. I was coming up well short on all of them last night and they were giving me shit about it.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
What's everyone take about the RE-45? Been using more and more since S5, and it's now my main weapon of choice.

I know it's not the most powerful weapon, but I don't know, I feel like there's a low recoil, good aim assist and it's really helpful at close range, and sometimes at mid-range as well with a blue or purple barrel.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
What's everyone take about the RE-45? Been using more and more since S5, and it's now my main weapon of choice.

I know it's not the most powerful weapon, but I don't know, I feel like there's a low recoil, good aim assist and it's really helpful at close range, and sometimes at mid-range as well with a blue or purple barrel.
I've always had a soft spot for a kitted-out 45.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

It's stronger than most people think. The RoF, Accuracy, and Handling are top notch. The only weakness is the smaller magazine. But it puts out enough damage quickly enough that it can make people panic and make mistakes/run. I still take the r99 over it in the long run if I'm looking for an SMG but early to mid game it's solid.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017

It has the best looking skins in the game and desperately needs a 1-season buff where we can all effectively use it for a change. I think it looks beautiful.

In terms of performance, I find it's decent at close range but terrible beyond that. The alternator (and obviously R301-R99) is way more effective/useful at multiple ranges and nearly just as common. I drop the RE45 for alternator every time. You can actually get so much range with the alternator.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
So is the 30-30 the first completely original weapon in the game? The rest have a Titanfall 2 counterpart, no?

Oct 31, 2017
I actually think all of the "lesser used" light ammo guns are kind of slept on honestly. The P2020, RE-45, and Alternator (especially the Alt this season after the buff) are all kind of underrated. They are OK when in a hot drop and are really contingent on landing precise shots that are meant to be aimed squarely at people's faces.

But if you can kit them up with good magazines and barrel stabilizers in the Alt/RE-45's cases, and nab a Hammerpoint hop-up for the 2020, they can all be quite nasty secondary firearms. Especially if you are running guns that can cover a lot of the ranges otherwise, like the Hemlok, Scout, and Triple Take; all guns that can excel from mid-long <- mid -> mid-short ranges.

I feel like the light ammo underdogs all can really succeed if you can get the attachments and you make sure to sit in their ideal use range, which IMO tends to be just outside of the shotguns

So is the 30-30 the first completely original weapon in the game? The rest have a Titanfall 2 counterpart, no?
I think all of the added guns except the Volt and the Charge Rifle are new to the universe. The Havoc, the Sentinel, and now the 30-30 are new.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017

My ideal gun because my aim isn't good enough to use the R-99. I only pick up the R-99 late into the round if I have a purple barrel, or the Volt if I can't find the RE-45. It's really easy to use.

Last edited:

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, Locked and Loaded should just be the default Apex mode. Landing with a Mozambique and body shield is awesome. There's no more excuses— you have a "gun", even if it sucks and a body shield. I would make the loot regular tier though so not everyone is getting purple armor on drop.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I've played maybe 15 games or so now and am enjoying it. I've only had one bad experience - ended up in a team of 2 (for trios) and the person I was with kept running out ahead, never taking time to scout out areas, look for gear, or wait to see what action came our way. Ended with them charging ahead into an area, getting shot, and then me getting outgunned moments later.

Besides that, it's been pretty solid. Just finished a game where we came first, largely due to another player on the team being really good, I'll admit haha.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
I've played maybe 15 games or so now and am enjoying it. I've only had one bad experience - ended up in a team of 2 (for trios) and the person I was with kept running out ahead, never taking time to scout out areas, look for gear, or wait to see what action came our way. Ended with them charging ahead into an area, getting shot, and then me getting outgunned moments later.
this happens to me about 20% of the time. If there's an Octane or Wraith on my team, the percentage goes up to like 75%. it's getting to a point that if Im playing late at night and there's an Octane on my team, i just quit the match. Saves a loooot of time.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
it's getting to a point that if Im playing late at night and there's an Octane on my team, i just quit the match. Saves a loooot of time.

Now that explains a loooot of thing haha.

Too bad, I've been a Octane main for 2 seasons now, and with the latest change made to the jump-pad, it's been easier and easier to be a team player with Octane, and it became really great for coordinate team pushing:

- Ping the enemy location
- Deploy the Jump Pad
- Ping the Pad
- Let's go!

Usually, even playing with randoms and no mic, they understand that move pretty well and I'm being mostly successful in my push.

My ideal gun because the my aim isn't good enough to use the R-99. I only pick up the R-99 late into the round if I have a purple barrel, or the Volt if I can't find the RE-45. It's really easy to use.

It's been to the point that nowadays, I'll drop my R-99 for a RE-45 if I happen to have everything equip to the R-99, just because I love the feeling of the RE-45, and find it more forgiving regarding the AIM than the R-99 and its recoil pattern.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The servers have been a hot mess for me the last two days. Went from my normal 20 - 30ms ping right up to 100 - 200ms.
But agree with the Locked and Loaded sentiment, the mode should just be the standard mode. I'd even say the mini purple/blue drops from the Pathfinder event a few weeks ago should also become just part of the main mode. They concentrate fights and provide cover in sparse areas of Olympus.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
According to the Apex Pack Calculator, I've now reached 50% of the way to the heirloom. FFS, I've been playing since the first minute the game was launched. I don't think there is even one I would get right now even if I did have shards.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Ugh, yesterday's KC was back at being a third party fest. First time this season I felt the map changes didn't amount to much. Had some casual games where multiple squads lasted until the last ring like it was a high level ranked match too.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Those who play on console: what are you sensitivity levels? I've been absolutely pitiful this whole season and I'm looking for something to blame :/
I've been playing around with the settings and so far I'm most comfortable with everything on default except for look sensitivity (ADS) on high. Though I'm curious what the better players use.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
A TDM mode in Apex would honestly be kinda weird. It's either keeping the shields and making it a ridiculously high TTK DM mode, or remove it and turn it into a dumbed down Titanfall.
I could see keeping shields with no health items. Puts it at Quake-ish TTK. They could play around with the starting shield strength too in order to adjust TTK as needed.

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
I imagine that they would make the Arena mode something of a different experience. It wouldn't surprise me if they found a reason for having no, or lower shields. Only white maybe?

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Nope. Any mode like that shouldn't even be attempted to be balanced for Arena/TDM mode unless those changes are 100% separate from the primary BR balance.

Oh I didn't mean they should change how legends work in the main mode to accomadate the Arena mode. I just don't know how it would work - maybe no Ults in Arena?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Oh I didn't mean they should change how legends work in the main mode to accomadate the Arena mode. I just don't know how it would work - maybe no Ults in Arena?

I wasn't assuming that you meant to include changes to the BR. My response is due to years of playing games where the primary gameplay balance seemingly can't be separated from other modes... so secondary mode balancing efforts end up changing the primary mode balance, which just leads to months of wildly swinging balance changes.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The servers have been a hot mess for me the last two days. Went from my normal 20 - 30ms ping right up to 100 - 200ms.
But agree with the Locked and Loaded sentiment, the mode should just be the standard mode. I'd even say the mini purple/blue drops from the Pathfinder event a few weeks ago should also become just part of the main mode. They concentrate fights and provide cover in sparse areas of Olympus.
They've been pretty bad for me the last week or so.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I have discovered the joys of playing Lifeline, but on an unrelated note - is Ranked any fun? Worth playing?

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Ups and downs today. Got a Bangalore win, but I've also been grouped with people who are literally afk. What is up with that

I had 3 ranked games in a row where one random landed afk and died, it was infuriating. I hate how one player can completely throw the match so easily in this game. Which leads me onto the follow statement :- Can we all agree that Octane players are the fucking worst?