• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Between all the diamonds/master/preds in my lobbies and people that keep hot dropping. Ranked is just not fun anymore.

It's a totally different game, honestly. It feels more like a survival horror game in Gold 1. The worst are those insane teams that will chase you across the map even if you disengage in the fight. Which of course means you'll run right into another team and get sandwiched.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
It's a totally different game, honestly. It feels more like a survival horror game in Gold 1. The worst are those insane teams that will chase you across the map even if you disengage in the fight. Which of course means you'll run right into another team and get sandwiched.

I'm still wanting a breakdown of how the ranked changes have or haven't impacted pubs. I swear it feels like pubs is also sweatier/I'm seeing more higher level trails than I did even in my last season, but I have no firm data to back it up.

For ranked players, they'll definitely have to address what's going on, though. Remove the reset and/or be much more judicious with matchmaking, even if it causes wait times for higher level players to balloon. They can't cater their free to play game only to streamers.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still wanting a breakdown of how the ranked changes have or haven't impacted pubs. I swear it feels like pubs is also sweatier/I'm seeing more higher level trails than I did even in my last season, but I have no firm data to back it up.

For ranked players, they'll definitely have to address what's going on, though. Remove the reset and/or be much more judicious with matchmaking, even if it causes wait times for higher level players to balloon. They can't cater their free to play game only to streamers.
I don't know I feel like with masters/preds being placed in placed in gold lobbies along with demotion being a thing, you start to see some teams in Gold 1 that clearly don't belong there just bullying everyone else.

In any case, I got close to 3.5k in pubs and so I guess it can't be all that sweaty because I'm pretty bad.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

I'm sure all of the predators have quit ranked and just play pubs now since it's so hard. The changes affected everything.

Dylan Dogood

Aug 13, 2019
Sweden
Kinda managed to wipe the same squad twice:

... then the third party came and I got sent back to the menu with a -39 😅

I might actually be hardstuck gold this season.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Had my first ranked solo queue with a Wraith today and expected them to be super aggressive and get us killed within the first few minutes. I was half right, they were super aggressive and were constantly chasing fights on their own, but they were either 1v3'ing teams or at least keeping the fight going until we finally caught up. Ended up winning the damn match and I've never been so frustrated at a win before, why can't all Wraiths be like this?!

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Played a few pub matches and had the most fun I've had since the season began. Pushed every fight and in general just actually enjoyed playing the game again.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't have patience for random people being rude over voice chat. It really bothers me every time. I usually just instant-mute the whole party at the start of a match but occasionally I leave it to see if anything positive will come of it. I don't know why I keep having to relearn the same lesson.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Man these servers are trash, 5 games tonight had to Alt F4, soon as the game loads it's a slide show, with every server error showing up.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
i dont understand the peacekeeper. sure it does a lot of damage per shot, but its so fucking slow, you're better of throwing rocks. how is this gun even in the god damn game?

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I've started actually having more decent pubs games over the past couple of days. It feels like it's been closer to the typical experience of some good games, some bad games as opposed to all super shitty games. Not sure if something has changed with the matchmaking algorithm or what.

i dont understand the peacekeeper. sure it does a lot of damage per shot, but its so fucking slow, you're better of throwing rocks. how is this gun even in the god damn game?

I'm generally not great with it, but it's super useful in the right circumstances especially when you give it time to power up. I've found it most effective in close quarters combat where there's a lot of cover for you to take pot shots from and/or there are other players distracting the person you're targeting.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I've started actually having more decent pubs games over the past couple of days. It feels like it's been closer to the typical experience of some good games, some bad games as opposed to all super shitty games. Not sure if something has changed with the matchmaking algorithm or what.

I'm now treating pubs how others have treated pubs for the last 13 seasons. Land hot and push every fight and it's no big deal if you get wiped. Playing Caustic and hot dropping can be alot of fun seeing your canisters going off every 2 seconds.This is what S13 ranked has done to me. It's created a monster. 🤣

Facism

Oct 25, 2017

It's really good when you're fighting around obstacles. Peek and hit, you land 99 dmg with a hit, the other guy is shook. Plus you see the PK a lot comp games because it's great to peek around gibby domes with it. But then those games go to the last circle with 10 teams left so they need that sort of sauce.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Some ideas from a player frustrated with no one ever respawning in solo q-

1) Lifeline/Crypto/Medic-class auto-acquire your banner once per game. I'm tempted here just to say let everyone do this once a game, but I'm sure that would anger the predators and streamers too much.
2) Lifeline/Crypto/Medic-class drop with mobile respawn beacon, they get 2 survival slots.
3) Eliminate banner deathbox timeout. Introduction of heat-shields has increased death box camping too much.
4) Reduce mobile respawn time by half. Either have the beacon call the ship automatically, or reduce the time it takes the stupid thing to land.
5) Put the Predators and Masters players on a separate island. They have to craft and build life rafts in order to sail over to the main map and fight sea dragons and great white sharks on their way.

Data from a post on Reddit about soloq. https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegend...o_q_100_public_lobby_games_in_depth_analysis/
w5qhz4z2hw391.png

Last edited:

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Kinda managed to wipe the same squad twice:

... then the third party came and I got sent back to the menu with a -39 😅

I might actually be hardstuck gold this season.

I recently learned you can actually climb those thin metal wires that connect the building the fight was in to the outer ring to get from the bottom area back into the building easily

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Got paired with uh a pretty good pair last night

We won the ranked match. I got a bit over 1000 damage and 3 kills. One partner got 7 kills and 3000 damage. The other one had 17 kills and 5000 damage.

Yep.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Did two games with somewhat lower ping and was fine but the 3rd went to hell a few minutes in. Billion dollar game but guess the servers can rot huh?

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
man it's disheartening when you get 2 randoms who make all the right decisions until the last 5 squads. We're literally surrounded with one of those spherical buildings free in the middle. Very defensible. I ping it, they decide to stay in the open and get thirsted by every other squad around us. I down 4 guys peaking from the building but can't finish, but that's not the point. I want the other teams to thin each other out before i get a zip to the last circle. Painhub. Could have been a win if they played the last 2 minutes of the game prudently.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Game has so many cheaters, Respawn does nothing, not surprise, it's a EA company. all they care about is money, cheaters in your game, good luck..

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
So, long post here.....But the TL;DR is that I'm going on a self imposed break from Apex for awhile. It's not because I'm not enjoying myself. It's actually the opposite.

I've recently unlocked a part of the game that I've been dreadfully avoiding since launch: The Hot Drop. Since launch, I have always played Apex like a traditional BR. I land uncontested, find good loot around the map and then pick strategic fights to get a win. Essentially, play slow and go for the win. I continued this in Season 13 ranked on Storm Point until I reached Gold 2 where I am hard stuck with Predators in the final circles. Every single match I would try to land uncontested and then essentially camp until the final circles trying to get RP and the win.

The problem with this playstyle besides being a grind and inherently un-fun, is that this is clearly not how Respawn designed the game to be played. But let's forget about ranked for a moment and talk about pubs, because this is where my point lies in this post.

Flat out, if you're playing in pubs and not hot dropping, then you are missing out on one of the best and most exhilarating gaming experiences out there. All you need to do is let go of the frustration of playing with some randoms that are idiots and just be aggressive as possible and go for the kills. If you get wiped, so be it. Re-cue back into a new lobby and go again. And again. Focus on your own performance, help the team when needed and jump from one kill to the next as fast as possible. Oh and forget about winning. Just go for the moment to moment fights and being forced into difficult situations because if you pull them off, you will literally get an endorphin rush that I haven't felt since maybe first season of Overwatch when the game went into Overtime.

There's a reason why pub matches only last until the 2nd round these days. Everyone is hot dropping and playing fast. The kill feed just goes off for about 90 seconds straight and then it's basically 5 squads left. Honestly, its actually weird when your jumpmaster goes way OUT far away from the action.

Apex pubs is almost not even a BR mode anymore - it's more like a one life elimination deathmatch.

The problem here and why I know I need to stop is that I've been going overboard with the hot dropping and I can already tell that's it's triggering some of my own addictive personality traits in gaming that I have to manage or it will take over. That sounds funny at first but that's just me being honest and being an adult here. I'm actually having too much fun. More fun then I've ever had playing Apex in the last 2 years.

So for now I'm taking the summer off Apex and see how things go. The weather is beautiful outside here in NYC. My son is playing basketball in the backyard. People are grilling BBQ and chilling. I don't want to be thinking in the back of my head about my next hot drop. Lmao. Better to just stop for awhile and keep up with the game through ERA, watch Timmy and the ALGS etc... similar to my NBA / basketball addiction. :)

I will say this - if you do decide to jump on the hot drop bandwagon just beware that it's addictive as hell.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
If you get wiped, so be it. Re-cue back into a new lobby and go again. And again.

This is why I continually bang my drum for a TDM in this game. I'd be 100% happy to hot drop, but dying, going through the results screen, re-cueing, going through character select screen, and dropping again is long enough of a process that it gets fucking tedious to go through if I'm going to just die within 30 seconds dropping on Fragment.

A game in which I can respawn close by, or on teammates, and just get back into the firefight again and again? Yeah, I'm there.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Apex Mobile has TDM but I don't think it scratches the same itch. 2 teams of 6 isn't the way to go.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Yep we're all craving a decent low-stakes mode that removes the process of going back to the menu. Control was decent. Bring deathmatch. The sandbox is too fun.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather a Last Man Standing mode like Unreal Tournament. 10 lives, spawn with every gun etc.

But then they'd have to make good arena maps for it.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
This is why I continually bang my drum for a TDM in this game. I'd be 100% happy to hot drop, but dying, going through the results screen, re-cueing, going through character select screen, and dropping again is long enough of a process that it gets fucking tedious to go through if I'm going to just die within 30 seconds dropping on Fragment.

A game in which I can respawn close by, or on teammates, and just get back into the firefight again and again? Yeah, I'm there.

This is the thing, though- If you hot drop often yes you will have a few stinker games where 30 seconds later you're back in the lobby. But I'd say that's like 1 out of 4 hot drops for me. The rest we usually wipe a squad and move on to the next fight one building over. This could also be since I started running Caustic again though since he's great at securing areas. Since hot dropping I'd say I'm getting way more kills per match then normal and I've gotten way better with using almost any weapon. Go to is still my CAR though.

The re-cueing almost becomes invisible when you really get rolling. I'm usually back in a match within 1 minute tops.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Yep we're all craving a decent low-stakes mode that removes the process of going back to the menu. Control was decent. Bring deathmatch. The sandbox is too fun.

I wonder if players doing these hot drop speed runs every match in pubs will end up giving Respawn the data they need to finally move on TDM. Because nobody is playing core Apex like a BR mode anymore. Clearly whatever they originally designed to be a BR isn't really that anymore. It's morphed into something else.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I would rather a Last Man Standing mode like Unreal Tournament. 10 lives, spawn with every gun etc.

But then they'd have to make good arena maps for it.

I'd be down with a limited lives mode. And maybe it'd give streamers another avenue for high stakes content.

I'd play arena more, but I hate its round based / start-stop cadence. I just wanna respawn.

This is the thing, though- If you hot drop often yes you will have a few stinker games where 30 seconds later you're back in the lobby. But I'd say that's like 1 out of 4 hot drops for me. The rest we usually wipe a squad and move on to the next fight one building over.

I don't know if that 1 in 4 number has been my experience when solo queuing. And even when you wipe a team, it's super easy to get immediately wiped before you even make it out of the building.

I like Apex firefights a lot, but find the often brief game times with hot drops when paired with loot randomness and no respawns to often be annoying. Those games where you got drop and hold your own are great, but they're not the norm for me.

I mind hot dropping less when playing with friends because we can laugh about it, but solo? I dunno.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
The hot drop problem has been supercharged this season. There's no one left after the 1st ring. Is it fun? Yes. Is it battle royale? Definitely isn't on World's Edge. World's Edge is just fragment at this point. The other . Also are a little better as there are three hot drop spots per map.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
The hot drop problem has been supercharged this season. There's no one left after the 1st ring. Is it fun? Yes. Is it battle royale? Definitely isn't on World's Edge. World's Edge is just fragment at this point. The other . Also are a little better as there are three hot drop spots per map.

It's a direct response to ranked being so insanely grindy. People are over it. You can't make a game where there's this much mobility and then ask people to camp in a building for 15 minutes. That's never going to work and it's antithetical to the whole thing. Respawn is clearly trying to slow things down with the new ranked scoring and huge size of Storm Point but no one gives a shit because it's way more fun to just jump into fights using all the mobility options all the characters and maps have.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing more Pathfinder lately and he's pretty fun. Love zipping around everywhere.

Thinking about finally unlocking a new character soon. Any recommendations? I only unlocked Octane and Valk for the 200+ hrs I've played already lol

Or maybe I'll try to get good with Octane first before unlocking

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Been playing more Pathfinder lately and he's pretty fun. Love zipping around everywhere.

Thinking about finally unlocking a new character soon. Any recommendations? I only unlocked Octane and Valk for the 200+ hrs I've played already lol

Or maybe I'll try to get good with Octane first before unlocking

Totally depends on how you like to play. I think Ash would be a solid all around option, and Caustic, Wattson, and Rampart are good options if you like to play more defensively.

He seems to be considered one of the more useless characters, but personally I find Mirage to be one of my favorite characters to play as. A lot of it is due to liking his personality, but also the glee I get out of frustrating players when I use his abilities well.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Caustic gets big results with little thought so I love him. Loba being able to loot up quick is super useful for her and the team. Those are my two mains and who I recommend first.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
I recommend Ash. Really useful tactical, great ult and even her passive gives you a useful advantage.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
This video goes back to my earlier post about how insanely fun hot dropping is. Granted this is Aceu and he's got ridiculous aim with a gold shield. He basically hot drops and stays in one building for the majority of the game and gets 7K damage. Some of the moves he's doing here are just nuts.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
fucking lag bug over and over. Respawn need to do less to appease the 1% Tory apex pros and fix their fucking game for the rest.

yayh 1 game without the lag but and the team picks a fight without me being there, as a newcastle, with my ult ready. Both downed. Just fucking quit then and there. Game is trash rn.

Last edited:

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Banner camping is out of control right now and this is needed. I still think you can keep Lifeline, Crypto and future medics relevant by giving them two survival slots, or automatically giving them one of these each match. There are fairly easy tweaks to medic-legend kits that can make them much more valuable.

I don't think banner cards need to timeout as quickly either. The flow of the game already makes it more and more difficult to respawn as the circles close.

Last edited:

Dylan Dogood

Aug 13, 2019
Sweden
This video goes back to my earlier post about how insanely fun hot dropping is. Granted this is Aceu and he's got ridiculous aim with a gold shield. He basically hot drops and stays in one building for the majority of the game and gets 7K damage. Some of the moves he's doing here are just nuts.

I get you completely. I've gone from absolutely hating World's Edge because of people hot dropping in Fragment, to doing nothing but hot dropping there myself this season. And I am having a blast. Sure 9 times out of 10 you're going to have a pretty mediocre showing, but then there are games like this that completely makes up for it:

As you said earlier, it's addictive.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I get you completely. I've gone from absolutely hating World's Edge because of people hot dropping in Fragment, to doing nothing but hot dropping there myself this season. And I am having a blast. Sure 9 times out of 10 you're going to have a pretty mediocre showing, but then there are games like this that completely makes up for it:

As you said earlier, it's addictive.

Oh yeah man. Nice clips. Those clutch nail biter shield bats in the middle of a hectic fight are nuts when you pull em off.

And as you said, I really hated hot dropping fragment until I let it all go just enjoyed the rush. I usually drop two buildings over to the blown out building in the first clip. I get a gun, usually fight off a squad or two and make my way over to this building and clean up (or get wiped).

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
My friends and I were looking forward to playing some last night together for the first time. Unfortunately, one of my friends was getting an EA 'log in credentials have expired' message and no longer has access to his university email address from a decade ago. It sounds like it's a nightmare to either restore the EA account or unlink it from a gamertag. It's incredibly infuriating, especially when he doesn't care about his EA account at all and would gladly nuke it for a fresh start.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Agreed with the thread here, all my best games this season have been hot drops, or at least very warm drops. I'm also playing my best season since launch, just embracing the chaos and letting the hate flow through me and my Wingman. Good shit.