• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
They have killed ranked for solos, right? I do wonder if they will have to change something soon.

Encouraging decent players to abandon their teammates and solo rat for RP is not a good design for ranked.

Last edited:

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Still early in the season, but I think they might look into lowering the RP requirements by 10-20% to make a ranked split a little less grindy. Because you're almost required to make it at least 15 minutes to get positive RP per match, the time sink is much higher than before. Keep the scoring as is, or tweak it a little if necessary, keep demotion, but lower the levels of RP needed to rank up a bit.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Apex Legends Mobile is now available on iOS. I hate touch shooter controls but I gotta say, the interface and tutorial in this feels pretty slick. They didn't half ass this release.

apps.apple.com

‎Apex Legends Mobile

‎Read on for important info below! Launch yourself into the immersive Apex Legends™ universe! Team up in a strategic battle royale shooter game that features Legendary character-based gameplay and fast-paced combat. Join forces with up to two friends and compete with other mobile players. Comb…

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Still early in the season, but I think they might look into lowering the RP requirements by 10-20% to make a ranked split a little less grindy. Because you're almost required to make it at least 15 minutes to get positive RP per match, the time sink is much higher than before. Keep the scoring as is, or tweak it a little if necessary, keep demotion, but lower the levels of RP needed to rank up a bit.

I fear they might do this but I really hope they dont.

If you arent even finishing top 10 in a 20 team game, you absolutely deserve no RP. And you deserve to constantly rank down till you figure out what you are doing wrong.

15 minute per game is also fine. It is significantly lower than any other competitive ranked game type would cost you in terms of time sink (CSGO, LOL and DOTA go well above that). I feel like they finally took the training wheels of Ranked to make it more in line with what a competitive ranked game should be but the userbase is too stubborn to learn to play smarter.

If you want faster games and instant gratification, there is always pubs. Drop with 10 squads and get it out of your system.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I fear they might do this but I really hope they dont.

If you arent even finishing top 10 in a 20 team game, you absolutely deserve no RP. And you deserve to constantly rank down till you figure out what you are doing wrong.

15 minute per game is also fine. It is significantly lower than any other competitive ranked game type would cost you in terms of time sink (CSGO, LOL and DOTA go well above that). I feel like they finally took the training wheels of Ranked to make it more in line with what a competitive ranked game should be but the userbase is too stubborn to learn to play smarter.

If you want faster games and instant gratification, there is always pubs. Drop with 10 squads and get it out of your system.

That wasn't what I said, or was trying to say. I don't want faster games, I want overall RP requirements to reflect the longer games. The normal person can get less positive RP games in this season on any given day due to the point change. I think the new system is good but there isn't enough time for people to rank up. Before, you could get the same points with kills/assists in 8-10 minutes. Now it's 15+. It wouldn't change how the scoring system encouraged longer games and less hot dropping, would it?

Basically remove this change:

To account for the increased influx of RP, we are adjusting RP thresholds for each tier and division to keep the difficulty and effort to achieve them relatively the same.

Modified: RP thresholds for all tiers and division adjusted. Length of each division is increased by 200RP

So far, I think they over compensated for this, at least in my experience. Maybe it winds up not being a big deal as the season wears on. We will have to see how the player base winds up distributed between ranks at the end of the split.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Apex Mobile just makes me wish Worlds End would be back in rotation. Not the biggest fan of the island map. There also seems to be an exclusive hero the game?

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
We will have to see how the player base winds up distributed between ranks at the end of the split.

At the end of the season, it should in theory, work out that serious players climbed to a much higher rank then the trolls who hot drop and die instantly. This is sort of like Elon Musk trying to weed out the fake bot accounts from Twitter - the new system should greatly minimize the trolls from being a problem with good players.

I still don't understand why they even bother in ranked when they have the exact same game minus the scoring system in pubs.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the season, it should in theory, work out that serious players climbed to a much higher rank then the trolls who hot drop and die instantly. This is sort of like Elon Musk trying to weed out the fake bot accounts from Twitter - the new system should greatly minimize the trolls from being a problem with good players.

I still don't understand why they even bother in ranked when they have the exact same game minus the scoring system in pubs.
I wonder if 95% of the playerbase will end the season at silver/bronze because they either can't play for placement in the new system or they get too frustrated with their random teammates not playing for placement. Should be interesting for sure.

I think it needs a little work with solo queuing at the lower ranks but I do still think it was a good idea to change up ranked. I do also wonder if it might be too much to expect of a playerbase to completely change how they've played ranked for the past 3 years though. How many casuals even read about the ranked changes? What if it actually turns a lot of people off ranked and then off the game in general? It's risky, that's for sure. Hopefully it works out and it ends up tuned right.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I feel like having matchmaking preferences would help out solo queue frustrations a lot.

Check a box to get matched with team mates who play slow, craft and take isolated fights.
Check another box to get matched with team mates who like to drop hot and W key everything.

It wont make Soloq'ing a flawless experience (in a game like this, nothing ever will) but it should definitely reduce the number of awful games you have. I dont know how complicated that would be the implement though.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Ranked feels like a non-starter for me as a solo-queuer with the update. Even in bronze, I've been de-ranked once because of the teams I land with. And yeah, the sensible play would be to break off from them and land on my own, leave them to die, and then rat it out, but it's hard for me to do that. And although I'm not looking to pick fights with everyone, the idea of ratting it out for an entire game isn't very appealing either. Ranked was never something I played regularly in the past though, so I'm probably not the target demo.

I'd usually hop in ranked every so often when my pub games were too volatile so that I could at least be more likely to be paired with players who played strategically. I feel like the way people are playing isn't taking into account the new system though, hence losing RP.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, as a solo queue person myself, ranked is way more miserable. I'm still progressing slowly up the ranks, but I have to play a way that I really hate. Dunno why I'm even doing this to myself lol. But since we were locked in Stormpoint for a whole week (still feel like that is absolutely stupid), I figured that I might as well play ranked instead of pubs. Now, once it's Stormpoint in the map rotation, I'll play ranked, but once it's World's Edge or Olympus, I'll play pubs. I never thought it would be possible, but I think I dislike Stormpoint even more than World's Edge, which is saying something...

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Honestly, as a solo queue person myself, ranked is way more miserable. I'm still progressing slowly up the ranks, but I have to play a way that I really hate. Dunno why I'm even doing this to myself lol. But since we were locked in Stormpoint for a whole week (still feel like that is absolutely stupid), I figured that I might as well play ranked instead of pubs. Now, once it's Stormpoint in the map rotation, I'll play ranked, but once it's World's Edge or Olympus, I'll play pubs. I never thought it would be possible, but I think I dislike Stormpoint even more than World's Edge, which is saying something...

You're pretty much me, haha. I never had a strong feeling about Stormpoint until this season where I played it far more back to back than I ever have. I think in general I struggle with seeing people, so all the foliage and color on Stormpoint just exacerbates this issue for me. I think it's why I like Olympus (flat, open environments) and Kings Canyon the most.

I don't think my faculties are poor until I play Apex and I get beamed by a 30x30 pixel blur ducking behind a rock formation or someone who I didn't hear runs up behind me and shotgun blasts me.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Ranked was already ass for solo queue before the changes. Really wish the player base was big enough to separate parties and solo into their own lobbies.

Lost the dub earlier when I noregged an entire mag into the last wraith, only to get turned on and clapped with her wingman.

Feels like 1995

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
You're pretty much me, haha. I never had a strong feeling about Stormpoint until this season where I played it far more back to back than I ever have. I think in general I struggle with seeing people, so all the foliage and color on Stormpoint just exacerbates this issue for me. I think it's why I like Olympus (flat, open environments) and Kings Canyon the most.

I don't think my faculties are poor until I play Apex and I get beamed by a 30x30 pixel blur ducking behind a rock formation or someone who I didn't hear runs up behind me and shotgun blasts me.

Not sure if you saw my post a few pages back but as an "older gamer dad" I need all the help I can get at seeing enemies so I upgraded to a 32 inch ultra fast monitor for my Xbox Series S and I sit about 2 feet from it. I've never been able to see enemies in the distance or even spot them behind rocks before I got this monitor, honestly. It has changed my game fundamentally and as long my aim doesn't completely go off course I can definitely smoke people now. The big one is the input lag too which is just so much faster compared to my TV. Something to consider!

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind ranked being slower, but I really hope the mid season resets aren't as brutal as before. If a lot of people stay in bronze/silver and you get to gold but the reset kicks you back down to bronze where everyone clogs up the time investment would start to really not feel worth it.

I am curious if they change RP entry fee for solo or anything, there's a lot more noise around it than usual but Apex has honestly always been rough to solo. Even in pubs you're still fighting triple stacked master/pred teams which should always roll over an uncoordinated team no matter the skill level.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't even mind RP entry cost to scale with how many people you have in the party. Minimum for solo lads, max for 3 stack thirstbeasts.

RC0101

Oct 27, 2017
I'm never get out of Gold as a solo. Too many dumb drops from these guys who think they are going to 1 vs 12

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Ranked is tough solo but good comms helps a lot. Finally turned comms back on with randoms midway through gold and minimal but solid comms has got me a few dubs with high plat /Low diamond randoms. Used to get to D4 with absolutely zero comms so may just have to bite the bullet and do it, at least during minimal children hours.

However, the time sink is crazy and def won't be able to climb when I'm back on regular hours/time amount. They def need to scale back for solo queuers, give em a discount or something.

Also if ppl are Midwest area console lfg I'll play. Pretty sure I connect to st Louis at 28 ping or something.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Apex Legends Mobile is now available on iOS. I hate touch shooter controls but I gotta say, the interface and tutorial in this feels pretty slick. They didn't half ass this release.

apps.apple.com

‎Apex Legends Mobile

‎Read on for important info below! Launch yourself into the immersive Apex Legends™ universe! Team up in a strategic battle royale shooter game that features Legendary character-based gameplay and fast-paced combat. Join forces with up to two friends and compete with other mobile players. Comb…

I don't play in mobile shooters at all, but this seems really fully featured. It's full fat Apex.

I also got a win on my first match, which makes me skeptical. Wonder if they're all bots you're playing with early on.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
An entire week of SP no wins, first 3 games on OL, 3 wins lol... the distance between POIs is short and you can always find a fight, SP land hot win that battle, aimlessly run around for 10 mins with no battles..

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Not sure if you saw my post a few pages back but as an "older gamer dad" I need all the help I can get at seeing enemies so I upgraded to a 32 inch ultra fast monitor for my Xbox Series S and I sit about 2 feet from it. I've never been able to see enemies in the distance or even spot them behind rocks before I got this monitor, honestly. It has changed my game fundamentally and as long my aim doesn't completely go off course I can definitely smoke people now. The big one is the input lag too which is just so much faster compared to my TV. Something to consider!

I saw that post and was a little envious of you, haha. It sounds like the ideal setup for Apex, but it's really the only game where I have this issue (admittedly, it's really the only battle royale game I play), so I can't really commit to that sort of setup for it.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I feel scared to try this new ranked scoring system on a small map. I've got a good system going on SP because it's so spread out I can easily survive to top 8 and then go wild.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017

apps.apple.com

‎Apex Legends Mobile

played it with my Backbone and had a blast. Really well done, runs better than the Switch version lol.

A friend and I were literally talking about this. He was like "is my eyesight getting worse? i can't see anyone" and i'm like nope, this map is just so colorful and Apex's visibility is horrible to begin with.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Ranked is getting better for me each night as the sweats and three stacks finally start to move out of the low rank lobbies. Really enjoying how tactical and patient my random third teammates have been lately.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been getting mostly 2-stacks when I soloQ and they've had a similar mindset of playing for placement and/or knowing when to take fights and run away, which is a trait I very rarely saw before this patch. Don't know how long that'll last or if it was all luck but had some fun games so far!

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Played 6 games today solo in Bronze 3, -15-18 on all of them.
4 of those were hot drops, 1 was my 2 teammates having their W-key glued down, the last was a 3stack with all masters badges, I'm guessing they skipped ranked last split.

I'll probably give it a week or 2 before I bother trying again, though I can already feel this new system is going to be even worse when better players hit their ceiling and start smurfing, before it was just annoying, now it's going to be infuriating. I guess I can always stick to their perfectly balanced matchmaking pubs that decide to match me with Preds because of that 1 3000dmg game I got 3 seasons ago.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
How are rookies allowed anywhere except rookie lobbies. dude full sends solo and then cries about dying vs a full squad. Arsehole.

Last edited:

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Played 6 games today solo in Bronze 3, -15-18 on all of them.
4 of those were hot drops, 1 was my 2 teammates having their W-key glued down, the last was a 3stack with all masters badges, I'm guessing they skipped ranked last split.

I'll probably give it a week or 2 before I bother trying again, though I can already feel this new system is going to be even worse when better players hit their ceiling and start smurfing, before it was just annoying, now it's going to be infuriating. I guess I can always stick to their perfectly balanced matchmaking pubs that decide to match me with Preds because of that 1 3000dmg game I got 3 seasons ago.

New ranked is even more of a ball-ache when you're a solo player. It's not going to force any of these players who hot-drop or take bad fights to play better or more intelligently, and you get punished by having to play the game alone after they invariably die below top 15, plus the fucking grind of it all.

Must be great if you run a full squad, though.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Ranked is getting better for me each night as the sweats and three stacks finally start to move out of the low rank lobbies. Really enjoying how tactical and patient my random third teammates have been lately.

Me too. I did have one crummy match in Silver 1 yesterday but the rest were really good. Should hit Gold today assuming I climb at the rate I'm going.

I feel scared to try this new ranked scoring system on a small map. I've got a good system going on SP because it's so spread out I can easily survive to top 8 and then go wild.

It's going to be horrible on Kings Canyon where it's virtually impossible to land in an uncontested part of the map. It does work very well on Storm Point, which is quickly becoming my second favorite map because of how big it is. KC is still my favorite though.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
New ranked is even more of a ball-ache when you're a solo player. It's not going to force any of these players who hot-drop or take bad fights to play better or more intelligently, and you get punished by having to play the game alone after they invariably die below top 15, plus the fucking grind of it all.

Must be great if you run a full squad, though.

Teammates seem to fall into 2 categories.

Idiots who hot drop and W-Key into every noise.
Cowards who run as soon as the first shot is fired, even if we're in a better position, had an octane throw his pad and go the opposite direction when we thirded today, went from 3v2 to 2v2, still won but he went 200m away and hid in a corner while we fought... They didn't want to be 4th partied and drop out at 13th...

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yes. It's me. It's me the one who hot drops all the time.

Well, maybe not all the time, but I feel that the matches where I have the highest chances of winning are those where I start fighting as fast as possible. There are several matches when I'm the jump master and decide not to hot drop, for example is on WE, I try not to hot drop into Fragment because it's too many squads at the same time. But areas where there are usually 2 or 3 other squads, tops, yeah that's a viable option up until gold probably. If you succeed there, you'll end up with good loot, high shields, and already in the mood for blood.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Yes. It's me. It's me the one who hot drops all the time.

Well, maybe not all the time, but I feel that the matches where I have the highest chances of winning are those where I start fighting as fast as possible. There are several matches when I'm the jump master and decide not to hot drop, for example is on WE, I try not to hot drop into Fragment because it's too many squads at the same time. But areas where there are usually 2 or 3 other squads, tops, yeah that's a viable option up until gold probably. If you succeed there, you'll end up with good loot, high shields, and already in the mood for blood.
Yep, you gotta drop with a little heat. Not directly into the fire, but action from the jump.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Teammates seem to fall into 2 categories.

Idiots who hot drop and W-Key into every noise.
Cowards who run as soon as the first shot is fired, even if we're in a better position, had an octane throw his pad and go the opposite direction when we thirded today, went from 3v2 to 2v2, still won but he went 200m away and hid in a corner while we fought... They didn't want to be 4th partied and drop out at 13th...

:O

You found the ONE Octane in the world that doesnt W key into everything he sees. Next, you will play pubs and find a wraith that doesnt quit when she is down.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They should've used this ranking system in KC. The high buy in and tier demotion would probably scare people from playing how they usually play on KC. Imagine all the teams hiding until the final circle lmao.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Oh huh there's TDM in Apex Mobile. Now bring it to the main game

Yeah, I heard about that and had the same reaction, haha. I know that TDM may not interest people, but I don't see what it hurts to at least try it out as a LTM. If it doesn't work given the characters' abilities, then no harm, no foul.

I'm a bit salty to hear that the mode supposedly includes a spawn-on-squad mechanic too, which we didn't even get with Control.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I need control. I just want a low stakes environment to have fun in.

If they bring it back, they need to at the very least include a spawn-on-squad mechanic and add re-balancing. I had too many games last season where our team would be losing, and players would bail on the game, further exacerbating things.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I heard about that and had the same reaction, haha. I know that TDM may not interest people, but I don't see what it hurts to at least try it out as a LTM. If it doesn't work given the characters' abilities, then no harm, no foul.

I'm a bit salty to hear that the mode supposedly includes a spawn-on-squad mechanic too, which we didn't even get with Control.
Is it spawn on squad? When I played last night, all I saw were base spawn (like the arena base for a team) and random spawn.