• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a convincing argument, of course her value comes from when her team is down, that's the whole point of a combat medic! What's being argued here is that people feel like she should be able to get revives and heals off risk free. Of course no res shield limits the amount of situations in which is smart to revive but that treats the old status quo as inherently good. Why do people feel like they should be able to get revives and heals off in a fire fight so easily?

Edit: also you should still be focusing lifelines in team fights, you still have to respect How easy it is to get her team up, especially if she has a gold backpack. I just can't accept any suggestion that her value is appreciably diminished. She can easily turn a 1v3 into a 3v2 and is the only legend who can do it in the span of 1.5 revives (depending on how close your downed teammates are)

I think it's more that if a character's entire strength is to be a medic, she should be outright better at it than the characters that more incidentally have power there. Gibby isn't being picked because he can fast revive in a bubble, he's being picked because bubbles save people from going down in bad situations, creating cover to pass over flat ground while under fire, blocking off angles as a push happens, whatever. It's super versatile that also just happens to make him great at reviving, he also still has the gunshield passive and an incredibly flexible defensive/offensive ult. She lacks being adaptable and is more like a revive bot, it's her primary purpose but you can't manifest where and when people go down so she can fall behind over a variety of scenarios.

I do agree with you that this sounds like it treats the old status quo as good when it might not be. I'm not actually a huge fan of some of the newer characters that feel like a swiss army knife (Valkyrie has like 4 amazing abilities alone that are just passive to her). But if Respawn are doing that, old characters are going to get left in the dust more. I do like abilities being conditionally useful as it plays more into the BR aspect.

I primarily want to see an overhauled ult for lifeline. I'm not really sure what to do with it, but the care package is too slow now, and it would be the biggest change to what her character offers the team when she's picked.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's not this patch that has ruined Lifeline either just to clarify. It's not Newcastle that has diminished her viability to the point where she's not useful. She hasn't been played at high levels of play or comp for how many seasons? Maybe 8 seasons or more.

She's completely out of the meta. Mostly because people NEED Gibby, like Gibby is essential for high level play. Having the ability to create a safe space for your team even for a moment is just a must when you are playing in lobbies with 5-10 teams in the final circles because it doesn't mean shit that Lifeline is tapping someone for a revive, you will be getting frags and gunfire thrown at you from all angles.

So if you want to run LL, you have to run Gibby, LL and someone with movement, but then that really limits you because you also need beacons scans. Valk can provide Beacon scans and longer-distant repositioning but she's not great for shorter distances. As a result, people prefer to run a defensive legend + a scan character (valk, crypto, blood) and then they usually have someone else for smaller repositioning and making fast pushes like Wraith or Ash.

Lifeline just doesn't fit in that meta because she doesn't do enough stuff. If you pick Gibby instead you have a 3 second revive, plus defensive shield plus the best ultimate in the game. If you pick Newcastle you have the ability to create a safe space for your team, and pull your downed team mates out of a bad spot. These both help play end circle where Lifeline offers next to nothing.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Lifeline's passive is great as is, fast heals was broken af. Just fix her ultimate and we gucci.

Yep. Combo fast heals with her tiny hitbox and she was genuinely one of the most broken characters. Right up there with Wraith. Infuriating to fight against.

I would rather her be a dead character with shit pick rate than go up against that.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
What are your gripes with Stormpoint exactly? Just curious. I feel it's just too big, and a lot of the POIs aren't that interesting to me.
Played like 10 games this afternoon. either my team drops hot and dies within a minute or we land somewhere else and then literally walk around for 10 minutes to look for someone to shoot and then 3 teams converge on us and we die in a quick fire fight, and then i get like maybe 1 knock.

and this is why I fucking hate this map. there is so much dead zone. yeah there are gravity guns but you have to walk so far to get to them. like 90% of this map is just dead zone with nothing to do, and maybe 60% of it there is literally no cover or any POI.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yep. Combo fast heals with her tiny hitbox and she was genuinely one of the most broken characters. Right up there with Wraith. Infuriating to fight against.

I would rather her be a dead character with shit pick rate than go up against that.

I don't even think she's that bad overall. Just in the same boat as many other characters like Octane, Mirage & Pathfinder where they are outclassed by others.

They could also just nerf those other characters and avoid power creep. The worst case scenario is definitely buffing Lifeline to the point where she's incredibly annoying.

If they were to buff her though, I think making it so that the people she revived regenerated their health for 10 seconds (up to 90hp) would be a nice buff. It doesn't change much about how she plays or her vulnerabilities but it would allow her to be a bit more impactful when picking people up, and a bit less reliant on a gold bag to be useful.

Second I would just improve her drone with QOL features. I'm not sure why it's capped at something like 150 healing total, but it seems very low. It doesn't seem unreasonable if it were to heal a bit more than it does. Also the drone should be able to 'attach' to someone and follow them healing them for a short period of time. As is, you have to stand dead still to get it to latch on to you.

I think a few small buffs without a major rework could put her in a much better spot.

As for her care package, if you could guarantee it was ALL shield upgrades (e.g. 3 shields that were +1 tier on your team mates lowest) then I think that could be pretty handy. It could be a good tool to acquire shield swaps in high level play, and in lower levels it would just be more impactful in helping teams get good shields. A stronger ability but not altogether game changing I think.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I primarily want to see an overhauled ult for lifeline. I'm not really sure what to do with it, but the care package is too slow now, and it would be the biggest change to what her character offers the team when she's picked.

I'd be okay with her care pack dropping 3 purple armors guaranteed, but then it'd be useless if everyone on your team already reached a point where they had purples or better. Giving her ult a guaranteed red weapon would be cool, but it'd also go against her character's intent (medic) and would be super busted very quickly because you'd just feed her accelerants and have a team fully loaded with red weapons very quickly.

I think if they even just radically sped up her ult recharge time, it'd be a big improvement. Make one side of it an upgraded shield, one side of it shield batts and med kits, and one side of it purple weapons attachments.

Maybe make her healing bot also have a built-in heat shield, she she can use that slot for a respawn beacon instead. Right now her support is solely focused on healing players who are downed or badly hurt, but if they could add to her kit in a way that let players be more proactive, that'd be cool.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'd be okay with her care pack dropping 3 purple armors guaranteed, but then it'd be useless if everyone on your team already reached a point where they had purples or better. Giving her ult a guaranteed red weapon would be cool, but it'd also go against her character's intent (medic) and would be super busted very quickly because you'd just feed her accelerants and have a team fully loaded with red weapons very quickly.

I think if they even just radically sped up her ult recharge time, it'd be a big improvement. Make one side of it an upgraded shield, one side of it shield batts and med kits, and one side of it purple weapons attachments.

Maybe make her healing bot also have a built-in heat shield, she she can use that slot for a respawn beacon instead. Right now her support is solely focused on healing players who are downed or badly hurt, but if they could add to her kit in a way that let players be more proactive, that'd be cool.

It would still be valuable in late-game scenarios because you would be gauranteeing three shield swaps for your team available at a particular space.

It might actually be a bit frustrating. Then again it's not as though the team wouldn't be able to see it coming, since there'd be a big lifeline package next to them.

I think your idea about having her drone work as a heat shield is interesting. Ultimately it highlights there's a tonne of good ideas for Lifeline. Perhaps you could even have her care package double up as a mobile revive beacon? I don't think they're short on ways to buff her substantially without having to rework her kit.

Reworks are a lot of effort that they could use in building new characters, ultimately. So I'd rather they kept her as is. Her previous fast heal was broken, so that re-work made sense in my opinion.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a realistically valuable scenario though, reviving two people. Almost any scenario where Lifeline has two players down it does not matter because Lifeline will die as she is pushed by multiple enemies. I do agree that there's value in that Lifeline is able to revive someone and shoot her gun at the same time, but I think it's fairly contingent on the gold bag being in play to make that especially useful because there's no protection for the downed player when they're being revived, and they're still able to be instantly re-knocked when they get back up.

In a real scenario, where the Lifeline team has a player who goes down, Lifeline taps the revive but if another team push, there's a strong chance they get thirsted or instantly reknocked. If you want that person to actually get revived successfully in lobbies at a decent level of play, having some protection for the downed player is more important (e.g. a Gibraltar dome, or now, Newcastle's revive shield).

What do you mean there's no protection for a downed player? Revive behind cover and shoot back? Or, if you dont have time, revive and shoot back anyways. I tell that to my apex group all the time when any of us plays Lifeline. Knowing when to revive is a core aspect of a player's toolset, and especially so for Lifeline. If anybody goes for a revive, you risk a team pushing because revive sfx is loud as hell. "if another team pushes" -welcome to apex legends! The solution is not to provide lifeline (or other legends) with a kit that can 100% get off safe revives, its about playmaking and smart use of abilities and coordination.

The best defense you have is being able to aim.

And beyond that, Lifeline has no other utility really. Her package now guarantees shield upgrades but it's become much less valuable ever since they added evo shields to the game as the default. Most players at end game already have purple or red shields due to damage dealt and a care package or two makes little difference in the grand scheme of things. Meanwhile Gibraltar and Newcastle have ultimates that can help them win fights and enable their team to stay in the game, that counts for a heck of a lot. Gibraltars ultimate is a game changer in end-game fights.

Her CP gives you gold items so idk what yall are talking about LOL. Gold shields, backpacks, helmets idk what yall mean that theres no utility. Ping Ultimate Accelerates and chain her ults back to back.

I think it's more that if a character's entire strength is to be a medic, she should be outright better at it than the characters that more incidentally have power there. Gibby isn't being picked because he can fast revive in a bubble, he's being picked because bubbles save people from going down in bad situations, creating cover to pass over flat ground while under fire, blocking off angles as a push happens, whatever. It's super versatile that also just happens to make him great at reviving, he also still has the gunshield passive and an incredibly flexible defensive/offensive ult. She lacks being adaptable and is more like a revive bot, it's her primary purpose but you can't manifest where and when people go down so she can fall behind over a variety of scenarios.

I do agree with you that this sounds like it treats the old status quo as good when it might not be. I'm not actually a huge fan of some of the newer characters that feel like a swiss army knife (Valkyrie has like 4 amazing abilities alone that are just passive to her). But if Respawn are doing that, old characters are going to get left in the dust more. I do like abilities being conditionally useful as it plays more into the BR aspect.

Listen Idk how to tell yall that its okay for Legends to have different purposes. You're right, Gibby's bubble is very versatile which is why its so strong and why hes picked so much, but its also a half minute cooldown, and the moment you use it you signal to every coordinated team with a brain that they have half a minute to make an opening and push the shit out of the gibby team. Does that make either of those kits perfect, no. But its not mutually exclusive. You can have both a Gibby and a Lifeline. Its a team game, different comps will have different matchups and certain kits will be strong in any comp and others less so. Thats just the way it is.

Valkyrie isnt real real power creep but she does have a strong kit. The nerf to her ult was absolutely necessary, and it probably would be better to raise the CD on it too. I dont mind her kit, its strong its very easy to shoot her out of the sky.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Her new ult could be a small solar flare similar to the LTM mode where it heals everyone in it. Pop it in the middle of a fight to keep everyone going longer.

Also - maybe make her passive the ability to grab a teammates banner even after it's expired and only she can revive them….Like a literal life line.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Give Lifeline a shoulder mounted turret. No but really, I wish they would lean into more of the battle medic thing. At the bare minimum why can't she stack syringes or Medkits? Leave the loot distribution stuff to Loba. Maybe let her ult be a roaming drone heals auto heals nearby teammates or something. I don't know. Her ult is lacklustre. I'm fine with no revive shield. Especially with smart loot bins now.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Give Lifeline a shoulder mounted turret. No but really, I wish they would lean into more of the battle medic thing. At the bare minimum why can't she stack syringes or Medkits? Leave the loot distribution stuff to Loba. Maybe let her ult be a roaming drone heals auto heals nearby teammates or something. I don't know. Her ult is lacklustre. I'm fine with no revive shield. Especially with smart loot bins now.

I think she should have a slow healing AoE heal or something.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I've really come to love Storm Point in the last 48 hours. Maybe it's because I've finally figured a good drop area and I'm not getting any stupid hot drops from team mates. The map just lends itself more to my play style which is to basically chill and find good gear for the first circle then go pick fights. I'm climbing almost at the same rate as previous seasons even with the new scoring system — which btw will do wonders for separating the trolls from serious players.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Definitely enjoying seeing the interactions between Newcastle and Bangalore, different finishers, lobby animations etc.

Hopefully they'll add in more for other character pairings, Loba/Rev, Fuse/Maggie, Ash/Horizon etc. Lots of opportunity to add more character to the game.

TraCuz-

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 9, 2021
Who at Respawn thought it was a good idea for the Spitfire to go back on the ground without nerfing its fire rate??

Fighting a 3 stack that all have Spittys is fucking miserable.

Apex was a better place with it in the care package.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
When the Volt comes out the Care Package I think I'll cry. I miss it so much lol.

Then they want ahead and put my R-301 in the Replicator, but at least that one's not so bad.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Man this game is a mess on PS5 after the patch. Constant stutters and even fast white screen flashes wtf

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
When the Volt comes out the Care Package I think I'll cry. I miss it so much lol.

Then they want ahead and put my R-301 in the Replicator, but at least that one's not so bad.

I hate how my favourite weapons always go into the replicator/care package. Triple Take, Spitfire, Volt, Rampage, and knowing my luck, C.A.R. is going in there too since I've been mainly using that for games these days lol

Good thing some of them are out now though

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
FYI Rampart's Amped Covers work really well in tandem with Newcastle's ult. She can place her cover in between the open spaces of Newcastle's wall.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Won 4 straight in ranked today as Newcastle. Had a great Fuse and Valk with me

They invited me and we continued together and we had great games

Fuse was a pain in the arse for every Newcastle we faced. Such a great counter!

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I stopped playing until they fix the performance issues and the white screen flash on PS5. Feels like my game is gonna collapse in any minute...
The servers are shitting the bed on PC too. I don't need to tell you the amount of times I queued for trio's just to get in alone

Dylan Dogood

Aug 13, 2019
Sweden

My aim is slowly coming back after a long break from Apex. Thank god, the first days were ROUGH.

Also, Valk is an absolute blast to play. But she might be a little OP? She does everything, beacon, damage, in-fight mobility, rotations, you name it.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
never understood why it's got to matchmake for the firing range. 3 minutes with 36 people in queue.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
and i just took 3 nades through a floor. what the fuck lol.

God this is shit. Every other squad plays properly, i get the 2 low iq melts who don't know wtf they're doing, so every ranked game is just me ratting solo because they died asap or picked shit fights.

Really dropping everyone 2.5 levels was a ballache idea. I've played 25 games and only 2 of them have been actual games with actual players. Shit return on time invested so far.

Last edited:

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Three ranked wins in a row with the final circle in the exact same spot way out in the NW portion of the map where the big long ziplines and the circular pods are. I don't yet understand the points but assume I need to make top 10 then go for kills. Teamwork has been much better in each game so far with two randoms.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped playing until they fix the performance issues and the white screen flash on PS5. Feels like my game is gonna collapse in any minute...
This might not be very helpful depending on your internet/bandwidth cap situation, but have you tried reinstalling the game? I haven't noticed any performance issues or screen flashes on PS5, so I wonder if your install got messed up somehow.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
My game has been stuttering too on series x.
Going by the performance display it's the frame rates spiking to 65-70 suddenly and dropping back down to 60

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Man, coming back to this after playing Halo for the past 7 months really makes me realize how badly I wish Apex had a TDM mode. Arenas doesn't scratch the same itch, and BR takes way too long to fully get into a match let alone an engagement. And if you die you do it all over.

That said, after a long hiatus I solo queued my way to top five as kill leader, dying to some loser that clearly spent the whole match holed up in this one room with caustic traps.

Also, since when do you have to queue to get into training? And why are queue times so long? I figured it would be FASTER to find a game in Apex than it is in Halo.

Edit: wow its actually unacceptable how long it takes to find matches. Solo queueing and it takes an upwards of 5 mins to find a match.

Last edited:

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
This might not be very helpful depending on your internet/bandwidth cap situation, but have you tried reinstalling the game? I haven't noticed any performance issues or screen flashes on PS5, so I wonder if your install got messed up somehow.

my friend are having the same issue and i saw this on the subreddit too and its doing it on my series x aswell

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Going to be interesting to see how the ranked system affects how high people climb this season for sure. On the one hand, it should definitely weed out the dumbasses who hot drop and die within 5 seconds but then it could create a power shift where Gold ends up becoming the new Platinum. I'm Silver 3 and it's -30 RP. Is Plat going to be -50 RP?

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I see where they're going with the Ranked changes. It's a step in the right direction.

I still feel like they nerfed KP way too hard though. The ranked changes make for interesting endgame (with 5 squads in a tiny circle), but really lackluster early to mid game. Fights are pretty pointless until there's like 5 squads left to gain any meaningful RP. This encourages ratting, which I thoroughly hate. I'd rather die and start a new game than rat all the time. There are situations that call for ratting, but I don't want it to be the new meta.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I am absolutely loving the new ranked system. Almost every game is going down to the last circle with ~4 teams alive. It is SOOOOOOOO much fun.

I made diamond every split, every season but there is no shot I will make that this time. I think Plat is as high as I will get. Which is probably a fair estimation of my skills in this game.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why not make the matches ~15 minutes, start ring one closing much earlier and force the end of the match up

I also think the damage of the circle should be higher. That or make it did you can't use abilities outside the zone. Allow healing, but a valk shouldn't be able to loot forever and then got to safety with no real consequences.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I see where they're going with the Ranked changes. It's a step in the right direction.

I still feel like they nerfed KP way too hard though. The ranked changes make for interesting endgame (with 5 squads in a tiny circle), but really lackluster early to mid game. Fights are pretty pointless until there's like 5 squads left to gain any meaningful RP. This encourages ratting, which I thoroughly hate. I'd rather die and start a new game than rat all the time. There are situations that call for ratting, but I don't want it to be the new meta.

The only thing I think they need to tweak is Valk's ult where she can track enemies. I thought this was OP to begin with but now with the new system, she can find rats super easy and as you said, there will be many rats in the last circle. I also don't think it's fair that Valk has any scanning when she already has so many strong points like her mobility. Seems just overall a tad OP.

I am absolutely loving the new ranked system. Almost every game is going down to the last circle with ~4 teams alive. It is SOOOOOOOO much fun.

I made diamond every split, every season but there is no shot I will make that this time. I think Plat is as high as I will get. Which is probably a fair estimation of my skills in this game.

I'm loving it too. And I have enough realistic expectations that Diamond will just never happen for me....Atleast not in this new system. And honestly, it's okay. I'd rather the state of ranked be in a better place then whatever ego issues I have over never hitting Diamond.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Haha sorry you died but that brings me back to KC bunker

That team actually ran from us earlier in the game too. They just kept backing up and running away. We didn't see them for 3 minutes and then we suddenly see them there.

My immediate reaction was to pad into them because I saw the enemies in front and also usually when you get shot in the back like that it's because they are alone, not two. As soon as I saw the two of them I knew I was dead.

Also I'm not sure how or why but the door was suddenly closed too. I would have padded through it, slid down and tried to get a battery as I ran away if I could. Not a chance with the door closed.

Just terrible circumstances really. If I hadn't just seen a team in front at the same time, we could have just moved away from that. It's not as if they were beamers. They hit me for 100 while I was stood still.