• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GalaxyPixel

Jun 21, 2021
I want to know who at Respawn though it was a great idea to put Storm Point up for a whole week. I want to play on Worlds Edge again. Please Respawn. Storm Point is terrible I'd be happy if they flat-out removed it from the game.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Kinetic Feeder the most pointless hop-up? Has anyone had a play where they were like "oh fuck yeah, the kinetic feeder saved my ass on that one"?
Facts. Worst hop-up.

Best day 1 of any season ever for me. What a blast. My KDR is 4 lol after 16 games and 4 wins. I haven't gotten to play as Newcastle yet but he seems like a strong character so far.

When will this game release me from its grip? I truly do not know.

Edit: Storm Point is my favourite map. 🥺

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I tried the game on seriex x too and the stuttering is there just like on PS5. The hell they did with the performance on console again

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
r19nzh6lfry81.png

This was posted as a "BUG" in the Apex Legends subreddit lmao.

So many braindead Silver players who W keyed to Plat are gonna be so mad this season. I am all here for it.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
r19nzh6lfry81.png

So many braindead Silver players who W keyed to Plat are gonna be so mad this season. I am all here for it.
Wait I knew Ranked as getting a rework this season. Seems I need to go read up on that. Dude got 4 kills in Bronze and still lost RP?

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
They need to make it so you can steer yourself in mid air after you use a gravity cannon. Or at least a double jump. If there's enemies waiting on the other end you're screwed.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
r19nzh6lfry81.png

Man, I agree. I'm not the best player in the world but the teammates I had in Plat had no business being there. Octanes running straight into a fight solo or people hot dropping and getting melted in the first 5 seconds. This new ranked system will ensure that the people in Platinum or truly "plat" players and the other scrubs will fall back to silver and bronze where they belong.

I de-ranked from Plat 1 to Bronze 2 and I already made it to Silver 4 in a few hours yesterday which was around 900 RP.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I agree. I'm not the best player in the world but the teammates I had in Plat had no business being there. Octanes running straight into a fight solo or people hot dropping and getting melted in the first 5 seconds. This new ranked system will ensure that the people in Platinum or truly "plat" players and the other scrubs will fall back to silver and bronze where they belong.

I de-ranked from Plat 1 to Bronze 2 and I already made it to Silver 4 in a few hours yesterday which was around 900 RP.

lucky. I've had nothing but wastemen players on my squad meaning I've played 80% of my ranked games solo because they either drop dumb or pick dumb fights and then get mad and spam ping their banners that i'm never going to dive 2 squads to collect. "We CoUlD hAvE kIlLeD tHe WhOlE sQuAd" yeh gg enjoy your 3KP after the other squads in the hotdrop rinsed you straight after for a 19th place finish.

Slow af getting through bronze for me rn because of it.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, kills without placement means nothing now + It depends who you killed and whats their rank

Also these new participation points seem to be reward kills on enemies that your other teammates also did damage on, but not quite enough to count as assists? Basically rewards team kills over individual kills, I like it.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Wait I knew Ranked as getting a rework this season. Seems I need to go read up on that. Dude got 4 kills in Bronze and still lost RP?

Your kills count for nothing if you die early. The higher you place the more those kills are worth.

lucky. I've had nothing but wastemen players on my squad meaning I've played 80% of my ranked games solo because they either drop dumb or pick dumb fights and then get mad and spam ping their banners that i'm never going to dive 2 squads to collect. "We CoUlD hAvE kIlLeD tHe WhOlE sQuAd" yeh gg enjoy your 3KP after the other squads in the hotdrop rinsed you straight after for a 19th place finish.

Ideally smart players will soon outplace the braindead so you should start seeing better teammates as you rank up.

Solo q will be brutal though. More than before I think.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

I did get lucky on my run yesterday. Won my first game and got around 260 RP. Then I met up with a Lifeline main who was very good and her and I ran like 8 games and won 2-3 more. So yeah - we'll see how today goes but I'm hoping to get to gold in the next few days......Hopefully.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Castle's shield drag is pretty cool. But I dislike how useless they made Lifeline. It's so much better than the shield heal she used to have.

I hope this game doesn't follow Siege's footsteps, where new operators they release basically did the same shit the OG cast could do. But a lot more. (Thermite in shambles)

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Castle's shield drag is pretty cool. But I dislike how useless they made Lifeline. It's so much better than the shield heal she used to have.

I hope this game doesn't follow Siege's footsteps, where new operators they release basically did the same shit the OG cast could do. But a lot more. (Thermite in shambles)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - but Lifeline is going the way of Mercy in Overwatch. Both were "iconic" characters in the first few seasons of the game's release and now they've either created better alternative characters or nerfed Lifeline and Mercy to death so they're useless.

The Lifeline I played with yesterday was essential to winning those matches where she pulled off the revive just in time for us to kill the remaining enemies in a fight. But that's a rarity that Lifeline's play that well these days. Same thing goes for Mercy in OW.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Newcastle FR testing with his ULT.
You can place it vertically at an angle, still testing distance, 12meters highest so far.
Throw it horizontally about 35meters.
You can also change directional placement mid jump, so while NC is jumping to place the ult, look at the new direction you want to place it...

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Had half an hour to play.

Code net + disconnect + Abandon penalty twice in a row. Back to back.

Somethings never change lmao.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This game has such a low population in Australia, it's far worse than when I played in 2019-2020. Finding a match takes like 5 minutes minimum, crossplay enabled and everything. 300k online on Steam alone and theres not enough players for a single match..? Crazy.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Your kills count for nothing if you die early. The higher you place the more those kills are worth.

Ideally smart players will soon outplace the braindead so you should start seeing better teammates as you rank up.

Solo q will be brutal though. More than before I think.

Yup it's been brutal. I've been playing sensibly but every game is literally just me vs lobby after 2 minutes. So here I am sitting at a .33 K:D averaging 1.5k damage and finishing around top 5. Last round was a pair of racist Russians calling me the hard R and spamming rap down the mic.

It doesn't help the map is just a big shitty wedge.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to judge the rank changes. Give it a few weeks. We'll see how it goes.
This kind of stuff needs some time to balance/play itself out, especially early in the season when you have Master and Pred players running around in Gold and Plat.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I enjoyed watching the streamers start ranked after not playing apex for 12 months and being so excited to see Storm Point only to see their enthusiasm start to drop and eventually lead to them questioning why the map even exists all in the span of 2 hours.

Last edited:

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
I enjoyed watching the streamers start ranked after not playing apex for 12 months and being so excited to see Storm Point only to see their enthusiasm start to drop and eventually lead to them questioning why the map even exists all in the span of 2 hours.
I do my dailies and quit, not playing more than 20mins a day until rotations have return..

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
What are your gripes with Stormpoint exactly? Just curious. I feel it's just too big, and a lot of the POIs aren't that interesting to me.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
From a perspective of playing pubs with friends (not randoms), Storm Point is actually my favorite map. We can choose to jump as hot or cold as we want and the POIs and the areas between them are all pretty fun to have fights in. Finding other players isn't that hard either if you watch the drops, just make your way toward the hot drop/circle and you're bound to find teams.

Now as far as ranked goes, I'm too scrubby to speak to the strengths or weaknesses of these maps, so I won't argue if someone says it's terrible for ranked.

And as far as solo pubs or solo ranked, let's be real; all the maps suck when you're solo queueing :p

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The matchmaking is so sweaty now. I don't know if that's just early season stuff but my lobbies are only master/pred all day.

Highest kill game I've gotten is 9. Mostly kill a team or two then die.

I'm not playing in a 3 stack, I'm playing alone or with one other guy in trios.

I might take a break for a few weeks then come back.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously just one person versus potentially many others that you may have seen, but NiceWigg has said SP is his 2nd favourite map to World's Edge.

And more anecdotal examples, but my 3 friends that I play with regularly prefer it over the others as well. They mostly just play trios/duos, but I enjoy it in ranked. I've put thousands of hours into apex though so I think I'm driven mostly by being tired of the other maps and SP feeling different from them. All the maps feel unique to me really.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Obviously just one person versus potentially many others that you may have seen, but NiceWigg has said SP is his 2nd favourite map to World's Edge.

And more anecdotal examples, but my 3 friends that I play with regularly prefer it over the others as well. They mostly just play trios/duos, but I enjoy it in ranked. I've put thousands of hours into apex though so I think I'm driven mostly by being tired of the other maps and SP feeling different from them. All the maps feel unique to me really.

Yeah I don't hate SP at all. I quite like it. I'm still getting used the map flow but that's going to take awhile with learning every nook and cranny of it since it's so big.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021

Yep. Every streamer I follow was happy as fuck to say goodbye to KC ranked and is happy as fuck to say hello to Stormpoint ranked.

But to clarify, the ones I watch are either pros or Pred level ranked players. I am sure pub stompers hate the map though.

Oct 31, 2017
Haven't played the game at all in well over a year now but I keep some tabs on it/read this thread but wanted to pop in here and say a few things.

Lifeline was my main character from day 1 and her neutering and redundancy was one of the big things that really hurt my interest. That + the move towards bigger maps, away from King's Canyon and the pace it gave the game.

I know it's controversial, but taking away her fast heals really hurt/killed her. Why can't a character who (used to) provides a ton of aid to the team also have a potent individual power too? One that wasn't even that egregious when you consider all these other legends who can straight up see through walls or disregard the game's map geometry wholesale.

With the abundance of heals and general ease of loot gathering ability as the game's aged too, why would anyone pick a character that is hard stuck on the ground, has no edge in combat other than a slow stationary heal that's incredibly situational, an ultimate that's basically worthless/more risk than reward, and her biggest use case is something that's only good if your team is in a disadvantageous situation (slightly nicer revives on knockdowns)? All of her abilities are more risk than reward/only really have use when a team's behind the 8-ball, which good teams/players should be striving to avoid.

Lifeline when she had fast heals and low profile made her both a serious threat in actual gunfights making her the most potent "gunfighter" of the legends IMO (aside from Wraith), while the game around her also wasn't ballooned to the point that her abilities also had much more direct potency. Skilled Lifeline players could keep their team in it with high individual play + her supportive abilities, a team's literal lifeline in intense fights. She empowered the individual who would naturally in turn empower their team and the best Lifeline players were great at striking the balance of being a squad's support AND IGL. She allowed for much more aggressive, yet on foot, play.

Also, I haven't played that Storm Point map at all and I'm not super familiar with it from an observer position either (as I've also stopped paying as much attention to ALGS), but yeah it seems not great to me. I also am one of the people who loves the smaller, tighter, more intense King's Canyon and have thought that the game actively got worse as they ballooned up the map sizes and amount of open field traversal/dead spaces.

Yeah I know that the pros/top level end of the community (probably their most important audience tbh since they influence perception on the game and are more likely to be whales) prefers these larger maps due to high end play, but they straight up just aren't as fun IMHO as the more compact KC. People complain about third (and fourth/fifth+++ partying), but that's some of the best fun of the game IMO. Getting in multiple team crossfire chaotic gunfights is great fun and KC naturally lent itself to more of those situations for more of a matches length. World's Edge and Olympus in my experience had far more downtime game to game and just much less combat in general as well as containing the multi-squad/third party+ fights to more very early game or late/end game situations with the large middles of matches being far more lull heavy/or limited to isolated 1-to-1 squad fights which aren't as compelling to me.

So yeah, a bunch of words, but I saw people talking about things in here which are basically two of my big game design reasons for losing interest in the game.

Since Halo Infinite has been so disappointing for me, I've been considering dipping my toes back in this but eh. The game just made me so mad when I swore it off + things haven't really progressed with its design in a way that really interests me personally, so it's still kind of hard to feel like returning.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Stormpoint and Worlds Edge are good if you have a vested interest in consistently performing well. If you want to eliminate as much unpredictable variability as possible, then Stormpoint and Worlds Edge provide the best loot and rotations.

But what percentage of the player population does consistently winning matter to really? Probably the majority of streamers since there's huge overlap between pro and high ranked players, and stream popularity. But I don't think the lay person is thinking like that.

We shouldn't weight the perspectives of popular streamers too highly. For the most part they are not playing this game from the same perspective, or with the same mindset as the vast majority of the player base.

Also, I haven't played that Storm Point map at all and I'm not super familiar with it from an observer position either (as I've also stopped paying as much attention to ALGS), but yeah it seems not great to me. I also am one of the people who loves the smaller, tighter, more intense King's Canyon and have thought that the game actively got worse as they ballooned up the map sizes and amount of open field traversal/dead spaces.

Yeah I know that the pros/top level end of the community (probably their most important audience tbh since they influence perception on the game and are more likely to be whales) prefers these larger maps due to high end play, but they straight up just aren't as fun IMHO as the more compact KC. People complain about third (and fourth/fith+++ partying), but that's some of the best fun of the game IMO. Getting in multiple team crossfire chaotic gunfights is great fun and KC naturally lent itself to more of those situations for more of a matches length. World's Edge and Olympus in my experience had far more downtime game to game and just much less combat in general as well as containing the multi-squad/third party+ fights to more very early game or late/end game situations with the large middles of matches being far more lull heavy/or limited to isolated 1-to-1 squad fights which aren't as compelling to me.

So yeah, a bunch of words, but I saw people talking about things in here which are basically two of my big game design reasons for losing interest in the game.

Since Halo Infinite has been so disappointing for me, I've been considering dipping my toes back in this but eh. The game just made me so mad when I swore it off + things haven't really progressed with its design in a way that really interests me personally, so it's still kind of hard to feel like returning.

I agree with you on all this. Honestly I think Stormpoint is the worst map in the game. I dislike Worlds Edge some of the time but Stormpoint makes Worlds Edge seem compact and busy.

If you were looking to dip your toes back in I think it's still worth learning Stormpoint though, and there will be a new map rotation for by the end of the week.

I do personally think that if they keep pushing in this direction with map design, then I'm going to burn out on this far sooner than I otherwise would. I play shooting games for the action and while I understand pro players enjoy the predictability and consistency of these maps, they're just very boring. If they drop another huge ass map that's as big as Stormpoint it'll be hard to ignore how boring this game is much of the time.

Last edited:

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't played the game at all in well over a year now but I keep some tabs on it/read this thread but wanted to pop in here and say a few things.

Lifeline was my main character from day 1 and her neutering and redundancy was one of the big things that really hurt my interest. That + the move towards bigger maps, away from King's Canyon and the pace it gave the game.

I know it's controversial, but taking away her fast heals really hurt/killed her. Why can't a character who (used to) provides a ton of aid to the team also have a potent individual power too? One that wasn't even that egregious when you consider all these other legends who can straight up see through walls or disregard the game's map geometry wholesale.

With the abundance of heals and general ease of loot gathering ability as the game's aged too, why would anyone pick a character that is hard stuck on the ground, has no edge in combat other than a slow stationary heal that's incredibly situational, an ultimate that's basically worthless/more risk than reward, and her biggest use case is something that's only good if your team is in a disadvantageous situation (slightly nicer revives on knockdowns)? All of her abilities are more risk than reward/only really have use when a team's behind the 8-ball, which good teams/players should be striving to avoid.

Lifeline when she had fast heals and low profile made her both a serious threat in actual gunfights making her the most potent "gunfighter" of the legends IMO (aside from Wraith), while the game around her also wasn't ballooned to the point that her abilities also had much more direct potency. Skilled Lifeline players could keep their team in it with high individual play + her supportive abilities, a team's literal lifeline in intense fights. She empowered the individual who would naturally in turn empower their team and the best Lifeline players were great at striking the balance of being a squad's support AND IGL. She allowed for much more aggressive, yet on foot, play.

Yeah I know that the pros/top level end of the community (probably their most important audience tbh since they influence perception on the game and are more likely to be whales) prefers these larger maps due to high end play, but they straight up just aren't as fun IMHO as the more compact KC. People complain about third (and fourth/fith+++ partying), but that's some of the best fun of the game IMO. Getting in multiple team crossfire chaotic gunfights is great fun and KC naturally lent itself to more of those situations for more of a matches length. World's Edge and Olympus in my experience had far more downtime game to game and just much less combat in general as well as containing the multi-squad/third party+ fights to more very early game or late/end game situations with the large middles of matches being far more lull heavy/or limited to isolated 1-to-1 squad fights which aren't as compelling to me.

Good post here.

I think Lifeline and Bloodhound are super important to the "soul" of the game, for lack of a better word. I've been playing Apex since day one and these are two iconic characters that really define alot about Apex's personality and intention as a game. The difference between the two is that they buffed Bloodhound to a point where he's almost essential to most teams and nerfed Lifeline to the point where she's become totally non-essential.

KC is still the best map in Apex and it was a big statement for a BR game when it came out. Before Apex most BR matches were known for being long, tedious slogs where you loot forever and get into small skirmishes with enemies and if you got a won it'd take close to an hour to finish the match. Apex made a bold move and said, nope. Here's a fast paced BR that plays almost like an arena shooter but also is considerably smaller so matches were quicker. This is a big reason why it became so popular. With Storm Point and WE they went back on this philosophy and the only way I can see them fixing Storm Points is to up the number of teams that are dropping from 60 people to 80. Or maybe even higher to 100.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly think that in pubs, the size of Stormpoint actually encourages more teams to drop on top of each other. Because the points of interest are so far apart with really limited rotations (no balloons). So I always feel forced to either
  1. Contest a drop at a single POI with half of the lobby
  2. Land at a different POI and risk only seeing one or two fights for the whole game
Obviously I choose the first option but that leads to more RNG heavy situations than on other maps where it feels like you can take a nearby POI and still have a good chance of fighting a number of teams because you can rotate between POIs quickly.

I've had so many games on Stormpoint where we will drop at Barrometer with 10+ other teams. You often get a building for your whole team in a best-case scenario.

Perhaps it's time that they start offering different maps for ranked/unranked play. KC isn't a good competitive map, I can see why people feel that way, but I think Stormpoint isn't a good map in pubs where there's nothing to gain from landing on your own and walking around for 5 minutes. I think KC, Olympus and Worlds Edge could be available for pubs, with Olympus, Worlds Edge and Stormpoint available in ranked.

The other thing they could do, is just actively try fixing some of these issues. Kings Canyon was the smallest map in the game, so why did they delete two whole points of interest and plenty of space around those areas? Removing Skulltown didn't just serve as a rework, it significantly shrunk that area of the map and now it's really cramped trying to rotate through that space. They could work towards fixing stormpoint by removing some of the outer areas and increasing the density in other more central areas of the map.

Oct 31, 2017
Stormpoint and Worlds Edge are good if you have a vested interest in consistently performing well. If you want to eliminate as much unpredictable variability as possible, then Stormpoint and Worlds Edge provide the best loot and rotations.

But what percentage of the player population does consistently winning matter to really? Probably the majority of streamers since there's huge overlap between pro and high ranked players, and stream popularity. But I don't think the lay person is thinking like that.

We shouldn't weight the perspectives of popular streamers too highly. For the most part they are not playing this game from the same perspective, or with the same mindset as the vast majority of the player base.

I agree with you on all this. Honestly I think Stormpoint is the worst map in the game. I dislike Worlds Edge some of the time but Stormpoint makes Worlds Edge seem compact and busy.

If you were looking to dip your toes back in I think it's still worth learning Stormpoint though, and there will be a new map rotation for by the end of the week.

I do personally think that if they keep pushing in this direction with map design, then I'm going to burn out on this far sooner than I otherwise would. I play shooting games for the action and while I understand pro players enjoy the predictability and consistency of these maps, they're just very boring. If they drop another huge ass map that's as big as Stormpoint it'll be hard to ignore how boring this game is much of the time.
Yes exactly, these maps are "better" for people who have a vested, actual financial interest in succeeding within the game's framework(s). For people like the pros/streamers, these maps "work better" for them. But for people like us who are "high skilled" but not vested in the game like people who make money off of it, these people typically probably find these maps much less fun for the reasons we both describe.

Though I also imagine there's a big number of people who are less mechanically skilled and adept at the game design who also prefer these maps as they reduce their "pain points", similar to the top end players but in the casual play sense. So unfortunately, I have to think the number of people who fall into the "skilled players where intense action fun is the core motivator" demographic is probably disproportionately small compared to the demos of high end players who make money off of in-game success + average and lower skilled players who want the occasional gunfight but also glean a huge amount of fun from just being in game itself, even if it's just looting, moving or stealth/rat play.

I agree with you that if they keep putting out bigger maps for the Battle Royale, that'll just further hurt my interest in the game. After Olympus I was hoping that their next map would be a smaller map like KC, only for it to be a World's Edge successor instead which was disappointing from my outside perspective.

I'll be very (pleasantly) surprised if they return to a map with the design philosophy/scale of King's Canyon, unfortunately.

Good post here.

I think Lifeline and Bloodhound are super important to the "soul" of the game, for lack of a better word. I've been playing Apex since day one and these are two iconic characters that really define alot about Apex's personality and intention as a game. The difference between the two is that they buffed Bloodhound to a point where he's almost essential to most teams and nerfed Lifeline to the point where she's become totally non-essential.

KC is still the best map in Apex and it was a big statement for a BR game when it came out. Before Apex most BR matches were known for being long, tedious slogs where you loot forever and get into small skirmishes with enemies and if you got a won it'd take close to an hour to finish the match. Apex made a bold move and said, nope. Here's a fast paced BR that plays almost like an arena shooter but also is considerably smaller so matches were quicker. This is a big reason why it became so popular. With Storm Point and WE they went back on this philosophy and the only way I can see them fixing Storm Points is to up the number of teams that are dropping from 60 people to 80. Or maybe even higher to 100.
Yeah, I agree with you about Lifeline and Bloodhound's character importance to the game. Bloodhound became way too good while Lifeline became too useless, where both characters should be closer to their original power states.

How Apex was when it first hit was precisely why I gave it a shot. All the other Battle Royale games I didn't really care about precisely because of the long matches full of tons of downtime, that were only punctuated by bursts of intense action. That Apex came out and the game looked to flip the proportionality of "action" to "downtime" of the other BR games and that was great. But since then, they've stretched the battle royale out to be more similar to the others in that genre while essentially cordoning off the "consistently intense action" in tertiary modes separate from the battle royale, and I just don't find it as compelling.

The BR got less compelling and the few LTM modes/Arenas games I've played don't make up for this new normal in Apex for me personally.

You can't say Respawn doesn't listen to their audience though, because yeah, this is pretty much what most of the vocal people wanted. Less chaotic and intense action in the BR while giving the "action first" people (less compelling) outlets for their preferences. Basically they are trying to straddle the line and "have their cake and eat it too" which is understandable, but they've mostly lost me in the process, which from a top level financial perspective probably "makes sense" for them as a business.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont get the complaints about Lifeline's kit. She can revive two people at the same time while still being able to shoot. What people are struggling to grapple with is that with the roster getting larger year by year, certain legends are just going to become more conditional rather than be unequivocally good. The entire balancing philosophy at Respawn is about trade-offs. They want to reward smart play and want to punish bad plays. People want the game to go back to a time where every other ability and deployable is instant and theres no risk involved in using abilities. LL's kit is fine, and I can think of a dozen scenarios in which her revive is a better play versus a Newcastle (or Gibby or Mirage or w/e).

I get it that people want their favorite characters kit to be stronger, but in the grand scheme of things the arguments seem self serving, and not in the interest of the overall balance of the game.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
While I agree with the general sentiment in your above post, I think that this point

certain legends are just going to become more conditional rather than be unequivocally good

is easier said than done, and people saying that a character isn't good is just another way of saying, "I don't find their skills as useful game-to-game as those of other characters." Like, sure, Crypto's abilities have certain benefits over those of Bloodhound and Seer, and there are undoubtedly specific scenarios where his abilities would put him at a significant advantage over the other two. But his lower pick rate is likely due to those types of scenarios not manifesting themselves as often as those where Bloodhound's ability to quickly scan is a greater benefit.

Lifeline's abilities can come in clutch, but they require a specific set of circumstances in which to be useful, whereas picking another character may give you abilities that mitigate you finding yourself in that circumstance to begin with.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I like stormpoint for ranked but it is a really poor pubs map. The new armories push it even further in both directions too, as it's the exact type of thing that is incredibly lucrative to do, but time consuming alongside the rest of the general pve stuff on the map. I won a match yesterday where the only fight we got was the ending one, but it was us vs. 1 squad as the second circle closed so it actually took an extremely long time for the engagement to happen. We hit one of the armories around the edge, and were all basically at red without actually doing damage to players. We won the game but the match was a loot simulator.

I dont get the complaints about Lifeline's kit. She can revive two people at the same time while still being able to shoot. What people are struggling to grapple with is that with the roster getting larger year by year, certain legends are just going to become more conditional rather than be unequivocally good. The entire balancing philosophy at Respawn is about trade-offs. They want to reward smart play and want to punish bad plays. People want the game to go back to a time where every other ability and deployable is instant and theres no risk involved in using abilities. LL's kit is fine, and I can think of a dozen scenarios in which her revive is a better play versus a Newcastle (or Gibby or Mirage or w/e).

I get it that people want their favorite characters kit to be stronger, but in the grand scheme of things the arguments seem self serving, and not in the interest of the overall balance of the game.

It's that her only value is from a fail-state, and her other aspects are outright outdated/bad. She has the slowest charging ult in the game and has basically no impact now, it was designed during an Apex without crafting, without evo shields, etc. She got dinged by system wide changes even without talking about other characters like Loba just doing what her ult does 1000x better and faster.

Her res is really good still, for sure, but between her, mirage, gibby, and now newcastle the situations it's good or bad in can be so specific it's almost a wash at times. Down in an open area and her res is actively bad as the player being drone revived can't use their knockdown, down in a close range building fight and they can be easier to thirst, it's all super specific even if it can also work so well it feels outright unfair. It just feels more relevant as a topic now as Newcastle is very similar to her original revive shield, but it has HP and he can move along with them. I don't think tossing a shield in front of the drone that can be broken would tip the scales too much, but that still puts the entire onus of Lifeline's power during when teammates are knocked which still is not a great position to be in.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like stormpoint for ranked but it is a really poor pubs map. The new armories push it even further in both directions too, as it's the exact type of thing that is incredibly lucrative to do, but time consuming alongside the rest of the general pve stuff on the map. I won a match yesterday where the only fight we got was the ending one, but it was us vs. 1 squad as the second circle closed so it actually took an extremely long time for the engagement to happen. We hit one of the armories around the edge, and were all basically at red without actually doing damage to players. We won the game but the match was a loot simulator.

It's that her only value is from a fail-state, and her other aspects are outright outdated/bad. She has the slowest charging ult in the game and has basically no impact now, it was designed during an Apex without crafting, without evo shields, etc. She got dinged by system wide changes even without talking about other characters like Loba just doing what her ult does 1000x better and faster.

Her res is really good still, for sure, but between her, mirage, gibby, and now newcastle the situations it's good or bad in can be so specific it's almost a wash at times. Down in an open area and her res is actively bad as the player being drone revived can't use their knockdown, down in a close range building fight and they can be easier to thirst, it's all super specific even if it can also work so well it feels outright unfair. It just feels more relevant as a topic now as Newcastle is very similar to her original revive shield, but it has HP and he can move along with them. I don't think tossing a shield in front of the drone that can be broken would tip the scales too much, but that still puts the entire onus of Lifeline's power during when teammates are knocked which still is not a great position to be in.

This isn't a convincing argument, of course her value comes from when her team is down, that's the whole point of a combat medic! What's being argued here is that people feel like she should be able to get revives and heals off risk free. Of course no res shield limits the amount of situations in which is smart to revive but that treats the old status quo as inherently good. Why do people feel like they should be able to get revives and heals off in a fire fight so easily?

Edit: also you should still be focusing lifelines in team fights, you still have to respect How easy it is to get her team up, especially if she has a gold backpack. I just can't accept any suggestion that her value is appreciably diminished. She can easily turn a 1v3 into a 3v2 and is the only legend who can do it in the span of 1.5 revives (depending on how close your downed teammates are)

Last edited:

bry

Oct 27, 2017
i don't rly like stormpoint either but i feel like it's bc there's no poi on the map i like going to besides mill and that one place behind command center.
Now that they added downed beast i like going there too. those pois are so far on the edge of the map that unless they ship starts on that side no one lands there. which is cool for ranked but in pubs it sucks.

It just feels like all the poi's were made to be kinda boring looking to avoid the fragment problem on worlds edge.

also lifelines ultimate is just ass, there has to be a better ult they could think of for a medic/support character

i also always feels like matchmaking gets turned up a notch the first few days of a season, if i solo q i get absolutely rocked.
this season i didn't play too much pubs yet i went straight to ranked and hit gold lol last night but gold is literally a sky full of master/pred trails lmaao.
gonna have to sit out ranked for a few days so i don't tilt in gold

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

That's not a realistically valuable scenario though, reviving two people. Almost any scenario where Lifeline has two players down it does not matter because Lifeline will die as she is pushed by multiple enemies. I do agree that there's value in that Lifeline is able to revive someone and shoot her gun at the same time, but I think it's fairly contingent on the gold bag being in play to make that especially useful because there's no protection for the downed player when they're being revived, and they're still able to be instantly re-knocked when they get back up.

In a real scenario, where the Lifeline team has a player who goes down, Lifeline taps the revive but if another team push, there's a strong chance they get thirsted or instantly reknocked. If you want that person to actually get revived successfully in lobbies at a decent level of play, having some protection for the downed player is more important (e.g. a Gibraltar dome, or now, Newcastle's revive shield).

And beyond that, Lifeline has no other utility really. Her package now guarantees shield upgrades but it's become much less valuable ever since they added evo shields to the game as the default. Most players at end game already have purple or red shields due to damage dealt and a care package or two makes little difference in the grand scheme of things. Meanwhile Gibraltar and Newcastle have ultimates that can help them win fights and enable their team to stay in the game, that counts for a heck of a lot. Gibraltars ultimate is a game changer in end-game fights.

It's not that she's useless in all scenarios it's just that she's outclassed in most, and offers little to no utility in other areas.