• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Abandonment penalties need to be added in all modes. I'm so tired of getting to second place as a duo and losing to a trio. It honestly happens a lot for some reason and it drives me nuts.

I just played a match where we were top 5 and right next to a beacon, and the guy quits as soon as he goes down (the other person and myself still won the fight). Second place finish as usual.

Maybe they should rethink what the penalty should be for leaving. I'm guessing they'd never put leavers into queues with other leavers, since they can barely handle matchmaking fair teams as is haha, but maybe there is some other way to penalize people? Maybe disable custom skins for an hour or something, I don't know.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I'd argue a TDM with power weapon spawns would be a pretty good, tactical game mode.

That being said I'm really liking control. I think there could be some somewhat major tweaks here and there, but definitely a much better starting point than Arenas was at at launch.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Abandonment penalties need to be added in all modes. I'm so tired of getting to second place as a duo and losing to a trio. It honestly happens a lot for some reason and it drives me nuts.

I just played a match where we were top 5 and right next to a beacon, and the guy quits as soon as he goes down (the other person and myself still won the fight). Second place finish as usual.

Maybe they should rethink what the penalty should be for leaving. I'm guessing they'd never put leavers into queues with other leavers, since they can barely handle matchmaking fair teams as is haha, but maybe there is some other way to penalize people? Maybe disable custom skins for an hour or something, I don't know.

The answer is right there in ranked, there's no reason you should be able to leave in any BR mode until your banner is timed out.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
ranked matchmaking is still so bad. It's a bad thing when i can get 150+ RP dropping solo compared to -whatever with a dope pair of players every game.

1 out of 3 games has someone lagging the entire server, too. Can't heal, can't reload. Terrible state.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

My guess is the reason that they don't add abandonment penalties across the board (and most games don't) is that it likely increases your games churn rate.

If you think about the reasons people quit, it's often because they're frustrated about something that happened. Preventing them from quitting or punishes them for doing so likely makes them more annoyed and dissatisfied.

A penalty such as a timeout is likely to cause players to close the app and play something else. Ultimately that's not what you want as that risks players finding something they find more engaging in that time. Whereas preventing people from quitting altogether can create a lot of problems and exacerbate certain frustrations. For instance, my friends and I regularly quit a match if our friend is in the lobby waiting and our game has just started, or if the match is especially laggy out of the gate. Being forced to play those games is likely to increase the odds of people leaving.

You could argue that having people stay improves the overall experience for all players and therefore is likely to decrease churn. I think that's intuitive to assume but I don't think that's likely. If you make it so that people are forced to play they will often find ways to circumvent that system (e.g. by going afk or finding other ways to quit such as closing the game) or they'll stay in the game and behave in a way that's toxic to other players (e.g. instead of quitting because someone took your character, grief them for 15minutes).

There's not really a good option to solve this problem. The alternative is incentivising them to stay, but then it's not clear what kind of reward you could give for just staying in a game that wouldn't just become the norm anyway. You can adjust things like messaging and the overall UI flow of the quit to potentially make players reconsider but those approaches have quite limited effects.

Ranked gets to justify it's penalties because it really wouldn't function without a quitters penalty, and I think even those that want to quit are more understanding of why those penalties exist. Still, we've had 10 seasons of people finding exploits to quit ranked games and avoid loses. Then you have to start enforcing punishments to people that circumvent your systems (which they do, in ranked). But you also have some false positives when you do that... some people get banned just because their internet disconnects them too many times and whatnot.

If Apex had the same ruleset for quitting across the board, I would have already quit playing this game personally. In season 5 I used to have my game crash at least twice per day (due to a bug with a large friend list on PS4) and when I played ranked I would get a 15 minute penalty each time. That in itself was frustrating but the penalty would also double each time, so 15 minutes, then 30, then 60, then 120 etc, that's how the penalties work in Apex Legends. I was up at 6 hours or something like that and I decided to stop playing ranked.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be sad when Control leaves and I'll have no choice but to sweat on the horrible map that is Olympus. Thank goodness KC is coming back in split 2. Olympus is way too slow for my playstyle. I'm tryna go full unga bunga every match.

The horizontal shot on the mastiff feels awful to me now. I wish it was like the heatwave from Halo and you could change it to a vertical shot. I'd do damage much more consistently. But in its current state I don't know what to do with it. Hip firing, ADSing, all the pellets just don't seem to connect unless I'm damn near melee range. And at that point why would I pick that shotgun over the other 3 options lol

Last edited:

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Going to be sad when Control leaves and I'll have no choice but to sweat on the horrible map that is Olympus. Thank goodness KC is coming back in split 2. Olympus is way too slow for my playstyle. I'm tryna go full unga bunga every match.

The horizontal shot on the mastiff feels awful to me now. I wish it was like the heatwave from Halo and you could change it to a vertical shot. I'd do damage much more consistently. But in its current state I don't know what to do with it. Hip firing, ADSing, all the pellets just don't seem to connect unless I'm damn near melee range. And at that point why would I pick that shotgun over the other 3 options lol
Mastiff chokes to be much more clustered when you're ADSing.

Mastiff is my fav shotgun right now, it's more consistent for me than either the PK or the Eva.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
abandonment penalties in non-ranked doesn't make sense, annoying as quitters are. It's annoying that you wait minutes to get into a game only for mans to drop as soon as they get downed, wasting everyone's time, but i generally get more game playing away from squads than i do with them these days.

Wouldn't mind a mechanism that bans players from jumpmaster if they've got a volume of shitty drops, i.e. immediate drop >die in 20 seconds. Preferably those sorts of players uninstall the game and go play minecraft instead.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
One thing I would potentially like to see Respawn experiment with would be a faster pace battle royale mode with multiple lives or chances, akin to one of Warzones game types (I forget what it's called).

If players thought they had a stronger opportunity at a second chance then they'd be more likely to stay. So that could be in the form of a second life, easier revives (e.g. no banner recovery required) or some kind of buy back system. What if you could buy a team mate back for 100 crafting mats irrespective of whether you have a banner? Just an example but perhaps things like that could help certain players engage for longer.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't really excited about the new season arriving; I've been having plenty of fun with Halo and have been burnt out on Apex after playing it since Day One. FOMO meant I'd have to play the season though; I haven't missed a battle pass or major event yet. So I was kind of dreading this season.

With that said, I'm having a blast with Control. Them including some stars for completing Control challenges got me to try it but I'm liking it. I like playing games really defensively sometimes so being able to sit back and hold down a point as Wattson (especially if there is a defensive-minded Caustic on the team as well) feels good. I've won five matches this morning so far and am digging it.
The match that just ended was a loss but it was so close: 1250 to 1205, and I had a quitter on my team. I ran into B as Wattson during the initial brawl for it and was fencing as the battle raged, to try to set it up for defending and to deny entry from reinforcements.
Control is leading to some epic moments, something I haven't experienced much of in this game for a while.

EDIT: Just had another sweaty match. A loss, 1250 to 1239. I imagine that this game mode really pops off when you are not solo-queuing and have a team with decent comms. When a Pathfinder or Octane can throw down an Ult right off the bat at the closest zone so your team can rush the middle quicker and stuff like that.

Last edited:

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
One thing I would potentially like to see Respawn experiment with would be a faster pace battle royale mode with multiple lives or chances, akin to one of Warzones game types (I forget what it's called).

If players thought they had a stronger opportunity at a second chance then they'd be more likely to stay. So that could be in the form of a second life, easier revives (e.g. no banner recovery required) or some kind of buy back system. What if you could buy a team mate back for 100 crafting mats irrespective of whether you have a banner? Just an example but perhaps things like that could help certain players engage for longer.

All they have to do is make it so the banner doesn't time out. I think alot more people would stick around if they knew there was a chance of getting revived but after my box goes grey, I'm outta there unless it looks like my teammates are about to pull off a win.

Also, they need to keep the Respawn beacons in and not have them disabled after you use them once. Or maybe make it so everyone has a portable respawn beacon that comes standard.

Last thing - Maybe there should be some kind of incentive for teammates to revive you. So maybe your armor upgrades the minute you bring back someone. Or you get insta healed and all ammo replenished or something.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

I've had this thought for a while now. Agree with everything here. Picking up banners now, with everyone's skill being so high, is almost impossible. You either have to be very fortunate, or really skilled in movement to grab banners and survive.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love for there to be timeouts for quitting in casual, but it's not a realistic expectation. At most maybe there could be an XP penalty for the next X amount of games that increases the more frequently you quit, or to track disconnects and factor that into matchmaking so quitters are more likely to be partied together. Both of these wouldn't really kill the player base, but would give people some incentive to quit less.

All they have to do is make it so the banner doesn't time out. I think alot more people would stick around if they knew there was a chance of getting revived but after my box goes grey, I'm outta there unless it looks like my teammates are about to pull off a win.

Also, they need to keep the Respawn beacons in and not have them disabled after you use them once. Or maybe make it so everyone has a portable respawn beacon that comes standard.

Last thing - Maybe there should be some kind of incentive for teammates to revive you. So maybe your armor upgrades the minute you bring back someone. Or you get insta healed and all ammo replenished or something.

These are the real answers to lower quitting, lowering the barrier to respawn. Especially once you hit late game, the chance of even having a beacon in the circle is slim, let alone it not already being used.

Getting rid of banner recovery would be a good start since most teams are smart enough to banner camp if part of a team is still alive. I think something like still being able to manually grab the banner, but after 90 seconds you get it automatically and maybe by manually grabbing the banner you get some sort of bonus akin to a health/armor/ammo recharge for you or a better starting kit for the person revived.

Speaking of getting revived, there needs to be improvements for later-game revives. You should at least get a starting weapon and a Lv 2 armor if it's more than two circles in; you're basically dead meat if you can't find your/someone's death box. Not to mention, why are abilities still on cooldown when you respawn? You're already at a huge disadvantage with no gear, at least let me have a chance at survival if enemies are nearby.

Keeping the beacons active after a respawn is a good idea too, but maybe just prevent a team from using the same one more than once, it would be too easy for people to farm kills.

Last edited:

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
These servers stink since the new season, so many rubberbanding players, just now I aim Crypto drone into the air above some bins, i am hiding behind these bins, one sec it goes into the sky then rubberband back in the bin LOL

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why did they remove the red currency from the top right? I know I can unlock operators from playing this game so long but can never tell how much I specifically have.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017

I guess it's about time to retire for a few months, because all of my games filled with players like this. I'm playing with one other guy who has never hit higher than Plat…most games just feel like we're fodder for the other squads as the random we get is never on the level of these players, lol.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Why would they make B a damn fortress on every map in Control? Not a very well thought out mode, but fun. Definitely favors Valkyrie, Pathfinder, and Octane for mobility out of spawn as well as Wattson, Rampart, and Caustic for fortification. You should be able to spawn on your squad and on the backcap to shake B loose.

Shocker, the Olympus map is the worst play on in the mode.

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah the fact that defenders get a spawn advantage on B is weird.

If you win the initial teamfight you can just trade on B and never lose it, unless someone takes your initial spawn and breaks the spawn chain

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Why would they make B a damn fortress on every map in Control? Not a very well thought out mode, but fun. Definitely favors Valkyrie, Pathfinder, and Octane for mobility out of spawn as well as Wattson, Rampart, and Caustic for fortification. You should be able to spawn on your squad and on the backcap to shake B loose.

Shocker, the Olympus map is the worst play on in the mode.

I thought this way at first too but honestly I didn't understand the mode at the time. In actuality capping the rear spawn is vastly more valuable than it is in most games like Battlefield because of how the connected spawning works. Yes, you can't spawn on it, but capturing it prevents the enemy team from Respawning onto B. If you cap A it forces all respawning enemies to their original spawn. So capping A very much has the effect of 'shaking B loose' as it means all respawning players can't spawn onto B.

Also, I think it's perfectly reasonable that the objectives are generally indoors. It would be extremely frustrating to get shot off an objective by someone from a distance, by placing them indoors you force players to directly contest the objective if they want to claim or defend it. It also leads to lots of scrappy close ranged gunplay which is where Apex shines.

Last edited:

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
best thing about maggie's Q is that when she uses it, you just move out the way lol.
It's not great for damage as it's super avoidable but it's fantastic for pushing someone out from behind a rock or other small cover.

Also you can get lucky if someone is one-shot and tries to take cover.

Last edited:

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Control should only spawn you with a limited amount of ammo. I am sick of teammates sitting on height all game playing sniper. Force them to move around the map to pick up guns from dead enemies. Also enable auto pick up of grenades. Its not like you are killing 20 enemies in one life and will have enough grenades to spam.

And lastly, let us spawn on a teammate.

Oct 25, 2017
Control should only spawn you with a limited amount of ammo. I am sick of teammates sitting on height all game playing sniper. Force them to move around the map to pick up guns from dead enemies. Also enable auto pick up of grenades. Its not like you are killing 20 enemies in one life and will have enough grenades to spam.

And lastly, let us spawn on a teammate.
The bow is annoy as hell in Control. Infinite ammo, no reload, just constantly shooting.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
The bow is annoy as hell in Control. Infinite ammo, no reload, just constantly shooting.

I have a sneaking suspicion that all the pros that are posting screenshots of their 20-30 kill Control games are just doing that. Get on top of the central tower in Stormpoint, put up a Rampart shield and just go to town.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have a sneaking suspicion that all the pros that are posting screenshots of their 20-30 kill Control games are just doing that. Get on top of the central tower in Stormpoint, put up a Rampart shield and just go to town.

I've had a few 20+ kill games with prowler or CAR. If you want the most kills you just trap them in their spawn and hold the area near the closest point.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Control is fun but it can't replace BR. I find myself drifting back into it sooner and sooner each night, despite my lack of enjoyment of Olympus in general. Can't wait for KC tomorrow.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yep, it's great but it's just another mode. The three of them has their perks and faults, and you can switch between them and have fun in all of them.

Really reinforces my love for this game. It's probably one of the personal GOTG

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Welp. Back in the Plat 4 hell again. Lets see how long it takes to crawl out of it. Last split it was almost 3 weeks IIRC.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Welp. Back in the Plat 4 hell again. Lets see how long it takes to crawl out of it. Last split it was almost 3 weeks IIRC.

I only had the stomach to get to Plat 1 a couple of seasons ago. I do not enjoy ranked at all when it hits that point. I've got a couple of new dudes I recently started playing with who are Diamond so hopefully they can carry me over the finish line.

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently these Wattson special packs count towards the heirloom pity reward because I got heirloom shards from opening one.

Now the hard part is deciding whose heirloom I want. Already have Lifeline.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
So apparently these Wattson special packs count towards the heirloom pity reward because I got heirloom shards from opening one.

Now the hard part is deciding whose heirloom I want. Already have Lifeline.
Congrats on your second! I'd say hold out if you can, now that we're getting heirloom character skins too, it might be worth waiting a season or two to see how the shop shakes out.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
The energy weapons are in such a bad state right now. The Lstar got dumpstered when they nerfed it and is barely usable at any distance. Devo and Havoc are useless without a Turbo. Volt is in CP. And you need a sight to make the most out of Trip take.

I am walking past so many purple and blue energy mags cause no one is even bothering to pick them up.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
The energy weapons are in such a bad state right now. The Lstar got dumpstered when they nerfed it and is barely usable at any distance. Devo and Havoc are useless without a Turbo. Volt is in CP. And you need a sight to make the most out of Trip take.

I am walking past so many purple and blue energy mags cause no one is even bothering to pick them up.
I'll still pick up a Havoc more often than not because I feel like it still shreds without the turbo if you get the drop on someone. But I agree that the class in general is pretty anemic right now.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Got into my first session of the season last night. Really digging Control and Maggie. Controls definitely fills the "warm-up" mode better than Arena's for me, not to slag on Arena since I think it does what it sets out to do well enough.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
The Wattson skin is so good, hopefully I get it from one of my two free packs, otherwise I'm gonna have to break out the wallet I think.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Worked out the math, it's close to $200 Canadian if you want the Bloodhound skin and don't have the crafting materials. They're out of their minds.