• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
You know it won't. People dropping like that in ranked couldn't give a shit if they were in ranked or casual. They just want to drop, try to fight asap and then queue again. No demands no problem to them, even when they've got rp buffers

This is normally completely not my style but I actually just spent the last two days hot dropping Fragment in ranked (I'm in silver because I had to restart after all these months) and I have to say there is a tiny bit of "addiction" to the feeling of barely escaping death and walking out of there alive. Almost like a thrill seeker type thing.....I kind of get it now although I definitely wouldn't be pulling this crap in Plat or above.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Between the map and legend rebalancing (especially Crypto) this might be the biggest meta shift we have seen since they dropped KC altogether. So excited for this.

Honestly unless I'm missing something I don't see Crypto getting picked more frequently. Scan legend slot is occupied by Valk now who is considered almost essential on Stormpoint because of the wide open spaces with little cover. Crypto's buffs don't change how he engages significantly.

The things that killed Crypto are three fold

1. He EMPs himself. So if you want to setup a drone push you need to do something like port into it, and Crypto has to arrive late.
2. Red shields significantly altered the advantage. It used to be that Crypto gave you a 25% hp advantage after EMP (200>150) but now only a 22% advantage (225>175 when red). Getting EMPed isn't that big of a deal and it really relies on you having equal or better shields already for it to even have any payoff (e.g. if you're purple and they're red taking them down to 175 so you can engage at 200 with a delay on Crypto's entry really isn't an advantage at all)
3. Good players often shoot out the drone to kill EMP plays and when you're betting everything on that play that can really suck (e.g. a portal setup and push for an EMP).

They're also making it harder to get an EMP play off by reducing the HP on the drone. Going down from 60 to 50 is significant, there are many occasions where I've hit the drone for 50 and couldn't get the last hit and the EMP goes off.

If anything it seems like what the updates might help with is it might stop encouraging the random Crypto's in pubs from sitting in drone until they're killed. Using it as a tactical more frequently makes his playstyle feel more accessible and stops bad players shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stoked for tomorrow. Gimme that 9v9 greatness. I hope you can somehow enter a queue and have a full 9 stack. Because I know 8 other people who play.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
The Volt has the best reload sound effects in the game. Love that satisfying "click tock" when reloading.

After many seasons of being LTTP, the Volt is my favorite auto weapon right now. It's god tier with the gold threat scope. I like running it with the Hemlock with 3X HCOG….Can pretty much deal with anything with these two guns.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
The Volt has the best reload sound effects in the game. Love that satisfying "click tock" when reloading.

After many seasons of being LTTP, the Volt is my favorite auto weapon right now. It's god tier with the gold threat scope. I like running it with the Hemlock with 3X HCOG….Can pretty much deal with anything with these two guns.

You've arrived just in time for it to go in the package, lmao.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Fuckkkkkkkk! 🤬🤬🤬🤬
lmao, don't worry, it will be extra special now when you manage to pick one up.

I'm so ready for some 9v9, been craving a quick-respawn mode forever now and this is looking like just what I wanted. Please be good, and please come back as permanent. And when it comes back as permanent, please allow me to queue with my four other friends for once.

Ended the season with 69 wins as Loba, all is right in the world.

Nice

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Yup I'm excited for the 9v9 mode for sure. Hopefully since its a LTM it doesn't have enough time to become a full sweat fest, I just want a "solo" mode where I can jump in and play a bit of apex and shoot dudes without having to do all the extra stuff that a BR entails.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Never learned to tap strafe but used it last night in Firing Range just to see what I was missing out on before they nerf it.

Strange they are cutting the high end mechanics like this, but am very excited for the 9v9 mode.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Honestly unless I'm missing something I don't see Crypto getting picked more frequently. Scan legend slot is occupied by Valk now who is considered almost essential on Stormpoint because of the wide open spaces with little cover. Crypto's buffs don't change how he engages significantly.

The things that killed Crypto are three fold

1. He EMPs himself. So if you want to setup a drone push you need to do something like port into it, and Crypto has to arrive late.
2. Red shields significantly altered the advantage. It used to be that Crypto gave you a 25% hp advantage after EMP (200>150) but now only a 22% advantage (225>175 when red). Getting EMPed isn't that big of a deal and it really relies on you having equal or better shields already for it to even have any payoff (e.g. if you're purple and they're red taking them down to 175 so you can engage at 200 with a delay on Crypto's entry really isn't an advantage at all)
3. Good players often shoot out the drone to kill EMP plays and when you're betting everything on that play that can really suck (e.g. a portal setup and push for an EMP).

They're also making it harder to get an EMP play off by reducing the HP on the drone. Going down from 60 to 50 is significant, there are many occasions where I've hit the drone for 50 and couldn't get the last hit and the EMP goes off.

If anything it seems like what the updates might help with is it might stop encouraging the random Crypto's in pubs from sitting in drone until they're killed. Using it as a tactical more frequently makes his playstyle feel more accessible and stops bad players shooting themselves in the foot.

In ALGS there are aggro plays you can make that you couldnt before though.

If you are forced to push a team that is Caustic bunkered, the emp will destroy traps, you could do that before as well but it had to be a 2v3 push, now it can be a MUCH faster 3v3 full send. Same for sending a gibby bubble.

You can also throw it where it cant be shot that easily, like under the edge of a house or something. It is like aiming a grenade and pretty fast to do. To do that previously would take way too much set up time, you just couldnt do it.

But I think one place where it can be really great is when you Valk ult and land out of bounds. Out of bounds gives you enough time to maybe pop a cell and then drop, you certainly cannot set up a crypto drone while you are up there. You can now do a crypto emp as you are dropping on a team from OOB. Scary combo.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

If you are forced to push a team that is Caustic bunkered, the emp will destroy traps, you could do that before as well but it had to be a 2v3 push, now it can be a MUCH faster 3v3 full send. Same for sending a gibby bubble.

You can also throw it where it cant be shot that easily, like under the edge of a house or something. It is like aiming a grenade and pretty fast to do. To do that previously would take way too much set up time, you just couldnt do it.

But I think one place where it can be really great is when you Valk ult and land out of bounds. Out of bounds gives you enough time to maybe pop a cell and then drop, you certainly cannot set up a crypto drone while you are up there. You can now do a crypto emp as you are dropping on a team from OOB. Scary combo.

Interesting. Can the drone scan if it's below a house? Doesn't its scanner need to be able to see enemies or is it like Seer's ultimate where it just goes everywhere?

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Any OT suggestions?

Season 12: 9v9 is here. This is not a Drill.
Season 12: She's coming with a Wrecking Ball
Season 12: EA's last shooter

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Season 12: Replace Elimination with Control Permanently In Arenas And Bring Back The Volt To Supply Bins And Nerf Maggie She's Too OP

Think this has a nice ring to it.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Interesting. Can the drone scan if it's below a house? Doesn't its scanner need to be able to see enemies or is it like Seer's ultimate where it just goes everywhere?

Yeah, it cant scan if you do that.

But I was talking more about using it as an Emp grenade rather than use it for intel. Chuck it where it cant be shot and then full send a team while it goes off. At that point you are essentially fighting a 3v3 against a team that will have no bubble, no caustic traps and down 50 shields each person.

I think the main difference to me now is that Crypto can be played by edge teams and teams that fight more because he has offensive capabilities now.

EDIT I think it also moves faster now if you just tap Q to throw it. Or at least it looks like it in the videos I was watching.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Any OT suggestions?

Season 12: 9v9 is here. This is not a Drill.
Season 12: She's coming with a Wrecking Ball
Season 12: EA's last shooter
I like the 2nd one, even just copying the song would be perfect, she came in like a wrecking ball haha.

Even crypto based maybe as he is quite well adjusted now this season

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

But if you do a crypto emp as you are dropping from above in this example, do you not stun your whole team? To clarify, crypto requires the setup with a Wraith portal so that he does not adversely affect his team, as soon as you are emping your own team it becomes useless because the team your attacking can heal during the time you're all stunned. Feels like all you'd get out of that would be two ults used for a 50/50 (at best) and generally a big risk as if they shoot the drone you're landing with a steep disadvantage.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Nooooooooooo

They added a VO calling out when shields are cracked. I just used to say one shot when that happened to get my squad to ape. Cant have them calling out my bullshit now. :(

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
They're seriously doing the dumb as shit thing where we have to play a single map for an entire week? Fuck off