• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
They really want people to play that.

maxresdefault.jpg

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Honestly I have no idea who Arenas was supposed to be for.

People wanted a mode that was low commitment and you could get right into the action over and over again. Arenas isn't that at all.

What we really needed was a 6v6 team deathmatch mode on the Arenas Maps.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I love Arenas. I really love how skill based is and you don't have to be looking for a third party

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I love Arenas. I really love how skill based is and you don't have to be looking for a third party
This is pretty much one of my IRL friends' experiences. He came from OW and while he enjoyed the BR mode, he has pretty much played Arenas exclusively since release. He cites the same lack of third-parties and relatively quick, consistent action as his main reasons.

I've come around on the mode a lot recently, though I still hate playing with randos. It's a lot of fun with two friends.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

People wanted a mode that was low commitment and you could get right into the action over and over again. Arenas isn't that at all.

I thought arenas would scratch my deathmatch itch, but it didn't. Miss me with buy phases.

But I get it - some people really hate being third partied. For me, I'll take that over waiting to jump back into the fray any day of the week - be it through buy phases or getting kicked back to the lobby after death in BR.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
so far my plat experience is basically gold but with the same dumb team-mates versus even more sweaty premades. Ranked is a fucking cesspit if you're solo. Put all these party twats into their own playlist ffs.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I do want a more relaxed TDM mode (without gear purchasing mechanics), but I think there's quite a lot of people that like Arena. I'm not one of them, but that mode has depth.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I do crossplay somewhat frequently from console with PC (got a friend on PC who takes us to their queue) and it usually works out fine. But man, Arenas is tough against kbm players who can laser you from 200m with a LSTAR.

Jul 27, 2021
United Kingdom
Most people wanted a casual TDM gamemode.

6 v 6, run, die, spawn, no real need to think and to jump on and have a blast. Have loads of fun.

But maybe they opted not to do that because a TDM gamemode would just make it even easier for the better players to steam-roll the other team?

Arenas just isn't it.

Oct 25, 2017
I get into a team with a console+pc duo quite often when I solo queue into unranked Arenas. Haven't done ranked yet, I don't really want to solo queue into either ranked mode.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Most people wanted a casual TDM gamemode.

6 v 6, run, die, spawn, no real need to think and to jump on and have a blast. Have loads of fun.

But maybe they opted not to do that because a TDM gamemode would just make it even easier for the better players to steam-roll the other team?

Arenas just isn't it.

My take is that they wanted to make it competitive like CS GO when they should've went with something more casual like either TDM or objective based like Overwatch.

Elimination is a horrible mode that I never enjoyed on any shooter, much less Apex.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017

My friends and I all love Arenas lol. We feel it's very complimentary to BR and swap between the two pretty regularly.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
My take is that they wanted to make it competitive like CS GO when they should've went with something more casual like either TDM or objective based like Overwatch.

Elimination is a horrible mode that I never enjoyed on any shooter, much less Apex.

It's this. In addition to wanting a more competitive mode, I'm sure they feel that the higher stakes of arenas makes for more active viewership online (I don't know if this is the reality, though... I feel like I don't see streamers playing it). The stakes are lowest in team deathmatch where death doesn't signal anything but a 5 second timeout. Arenas seems like a better fit for e-sports, too.

The issue is that I just don't find those modes all that fun. Even in BR, I never cared about winning until I was maybe one of the last 3 teams or so. It's not like getting wins is so elusive in Apex to begin with, so I just never could relate to chasing that win. I just wanna shoot people, die, shoot, die, rinse, repeat. I played Apex in spite of it being a BR, not because of it.

TDM would be a great mode for those people who are so afraid of engaging too because there'd be no penalty beyond a lower score ranking and a minor timeout as you respawn. Really hoping this rumor ends up being true.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it isn't communicated clearly enough, unless you watched his character trailer and shit before the season launched, that Seer's ult is countered by crouch-walking. Assuming I'm not out in the open, it's something I automatically do when it happens, but teammates still run around like crazy.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I feel like it isn't communicated clearly enough, unless you watched his character trailer and shit before the season launched, that Seer's ult is countered by crouch-walking. Assuming I'm not out in the open, it's something I automatically do when it happens, but teammates still run around like crazy.
Unless you're Revenant, why would you want to be crouch walking while another team is pushing you? Just leaves you vulnerable. It's not a viable counter.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Crouch walking is literally a death sentence in this game where everything is fast paced.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Yeah, crouchwalking should not be the only counter. It should only highlight sprint, shooting, and ability use.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Crouch walking only works if all of the following criteria meet, at the same time:

- You are close to an enemy
- You are on the same level as said enemy (meaning, not in another floor)
- Your teammates are fighting the rest of the enemy squad
- Said fight is not immediatly next to you
- The enemy you are going to attack is also shooting your teammates from a distance

If any one of those aren't met, crouch walking to avoid detection is useless.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
My God. Solo queue was garbage today. Absolute trash. Doesn't help that I missed my shots way too often.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Good programming on respawn's part, canisters can just vanish when you place them in front doors this season

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Crouch walking is literally a death sentence in this game where everything is fast paced.

Yep. Especially in a small bubble when you are surrounded by enemy squads. The only two realistic counters are - Break the drone or Stay out of the bubble.

And those two are not always viable.

Its almost like they didnt think this legend through lol.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else getting stuck on the match loading screen in ranked? Can't even choose my character half the time lately.

In other news - Halo Infinite out on December 8th. After this insane last week of ranked, I'm going to be taking a long break from Apex when it drops - especially if Respawn doesn't have some kind of casual TDM mode by then.

Last edited:

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Because of the Arena event the sound in this game actually works and does a great job, in BR it doesn't, player runs up behind me, no sound, i heard some one using the replicator who knows how far away...

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Because of the Arena event the sound in this game actually works and does a great job, in BR it doesn't, player runs up behind me, no sound, i heard some one using the replicator who knows how far away...
I'm convinced something is wrong with the sound engine in this game. I'm always hearing phantom sounds as well, like someone popping a shield cell or using a med kit.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I remember seeing that sounds video a while back and being blown away.

Sort of disappointed with these events. It's just arenas after arenas, no creativity. What happened to those events with all the different modes from a few seasons ago?

Been at Gold I for about a week getting just horrific teammates who think they are Apex predators rushing everything.

Last edited:

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I can't for the life of me understand how my random teammates don't understand that sometimes you need to run from a fight to survive.

All of us are low health and we are out of heals. Not to mention we're almost out of ammo as well. I'm trying to tell them, "Hey let's head back in the opposite direction to gather ourselves." And they just flat out ignore me. So I head in the opposite direction myself and not too long after my teammates get downed. At that point I just leave. Not worth the headache...

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I can't for the life of me understand how my random teammates don't understand that sometimes you need to run from a fight to survive.

All of us are low health and we are out of heals. Not to mention we're almost out of ammo as well. I'm trying to tell them, "Hey let's head back in the opposite direction to gather ourselves." And they just flat out ignore me. So I head in the opposite direction myself and not too long after my teammates get downed. At that point I just leave. Not worth the headache...

Why do you leave, you don't want to wait while they ping their banner 100 times before timing out?

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Been playing a ton of Apex lately, started out in comp and made it up to gold but the teammates are driving me nuts. I have a much better time in pubs because there's a chance I'll get paired with some decent teammates plus the map variety is nice.

I've been maining Valk since she launched, and have also bought Loba and Octane. I've got enough legends points for another character but I'm not sure who to use it on. Seer is obviously the best but I don't know if I actually want to play him.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Been playing a ton of Apex lately, started out in comp and made it up to gold but the teammates are driving me nuts. I have a much better time in pubs because there's a chance I'll get paired with some decent teammates plus the map variety is nice.

I've been maining Valk since she launched, and have also bought Loba and Octane. I've got enough legends points for another character but I'm not sure who to use it on. Seer is obviously the best but I don't know if I actually want to play him.

Once you hit Plat, you will definitely need a dedicated team to roll with. Unless you're a pro or just cracked, you won't be able to carry your team throughout Plat. It just gets too difficult.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

If you like Valk then maybe Horizon might be another good pick for you?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Fuse is in a really good spot imo, he's been one of my mains for a while now, and he's even better this season.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think Mirage is pretty fun. Seer's actually okay to use.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Once you hit Plat, you will definitely need a dedicated team to roll with. Unless you're a pro or just cracked, you won't be able to carry your team throughout Plat. It just gets too difficult.

If I deliberately wanted to kill my love of the game, I would continue to try to solo climb in plat.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I hope hope hope that KC is the split map, all my best games this season have been when KC is on pubs. There's just something about that map. Completely over WE again for like the 5th time.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I started playing with Fuse this season and have been having success. The knuckle cluster is quite effective and I'm a grenadier at heart.