• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
As Crypto, why do you even have to go into the drone to know how many squads are in the area? Have it always display that info and work with the number of towers and their coverage range to dial in the passive.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Crytpo needs a rework, he's the only legend without an active passive, he needs to get into the drone for passive, the rework should include an active passive that doesn't require a drone, his ultimate needs some help, if you see a drone you can easily shoot it down before the ultimate completes action, instead of 3 seconds should be 1 sec activate..

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Crypto. An elite badass hacker who's capable of using his hi tech drone to watch firsthand as his squad pushes the enemy in a 2v3 fight and get fuckin' melted. 😂

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
For crypto, increase EMP strength and decrease drone cooldown. I feel like those two would be enough to make him better without being OP. I mained him all season 8 and 9, but just can't do it for season 10 with the new Seer meta. Crypto is functionally useless right now

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
For crypto, increase EMP strength and decrease drone cooldown. I feel like those two would be enough to make him better without being OP. I mained him all season 8 and 9, but just can't do it for season 10 with the new Seer meta. Crypto is functionally useless right now

Maybe they should re-work him into a tech disruptor like a real hacker. He should be able to shut down other active tacticals like Seer's drones. Or throw some kind of defense matrix out to protect the team. Just shooting from the hip here. The manually controlled drone is a bad idea tho.

Edit: essentially make his EMP a tactical that doesn't do damage but shuts down other tacticals.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
They should let Crypto reposition his drone without controlling it. Like, press H to send your drone to the spot you're looking at. It *might* be too strong like that, but you could argue that keeping his ultimate tied to the drone would limit his overall power since if he moves the drone somewhere where it gets destroyed he's fudged.

I don't think it needs a big rework. His drone is what makes him unique and I'd be against removing it altogether or like, not letting him control it anymore. If they did something like that they may as well also gut Mirage and make him more viable, but presumably, they haven't because some people really like Mirage the way he plays.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
They should let Crypto reposition his drone without controlling it. Like, press H to send your drone to the spot you're looking at. It *might* be too strong like that, but you could argue that keeping his ultimate tied to the drone would limit his overall power since if he moves the drone somewhere where it gets destroyed he's fudged.

I don't think it needs a big rework. His drone is what makes him unique and I'd be against removing it altogether or like, not letting him control it anymore. If they did something like that they may as well also gut Mirage and make him more viable, but presumably, they haven't because some people really like Mirage the way he plays.

I main Mirage and he's definitely useful in this new wall hack meta even if the decoys aren't 100% effective. But he's not a team player by any means and doesn't really offer the squad anything than invisible revives. He's great for solo climbing.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I think they need to tune the OP legends down to bring them in line with people like Wattson, Rampart and Crypto. I dont think weaker Legends should get buffs. I think stronger legends should get nerfed. To the ground if needed.

I feel like the power creep just makes basic stuff like ingame positioning, knowledge, gunplay etc matter less and less.

Never gonna happen though.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Wondering if anybody's experienced what is, from what I can tell, a new bug where an enemy Crypto drone is completely silent, even as it's up in your face. Had that happen yesterday, and it ended up being more audible the further away it was. The audio's just breaking in new ways every season, lol.
As Crypto, why do you even have to go into the drone to know how many squads are in the area? Have it always display that info and work with the number of towers and their coverage range to dial in the passive.
Yeah, it's ridiculous how clunky it is to communicate squads in the area. If your drone's out, there should absolutely be an indicator on your entire team's screen automatically. That'd have incredible utility for knowing when it's safe to loot, especially after a fight.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Knowing how many squads are around you is the best option for preventing third partying in the game because the information should inform the actions of your team, if your team is any good. If you see "4 squads in the area" and you decide to wade into the middle of it you're probably going to get killed, especially in the current Seer meta. But if you see "2 squads in the area" and they're already fighting you can, with a decent amount of certainty, full send for some easy kills. After the fight you just pop into your drone for a second and see if the coast is clear. A drone sitting in sight of a champion banner is usually more useful than one where the Crypto is actively moving it around trying to get a visual on enemies.

I'm not saying that Crypto is OP. I think he needs a lot of work. Maybe start by giving him the Bloodhound treatment, triple the radius of his scans (a man can dream). I'm saying that having absolutely accurate information about the number of enemies around you can have way more impact than most people give it credit for if used correctly.

Decent squads know how many teams are in the area (or at least can approximate to an extent that's useful), that's what I'm saying, it's just not useful in the way that you describe most of the time.

Look at this as an example, I've timestamped the clip and it's exactly what I was saying before.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Crypto is the last one alive on his squad and the most valuable thing for him to do is to place the drone down at the door so that he can see if he is being pushed (and if so, very briefly delay it). If he scanned the banners at any point in this ring it would simply say '6 squads in the area' because there are 6 squads at that level 4 circle.

At high levels of play, almost all squads that want to win get to the level 3 ring close, at which point crypto's drone is always going to say that there are an insane number of squads in the area. Even in diamond ranked games, you usually have 10 squads in the level 3 ring close. Early on, you can see how many teams are in the area, because you can see their drops and likely rotations.

The other factor, is that because of Octane/Path/Valk (all of whom are pretty prominent picks), if you're talking about whether you should initiate a fight or not for fear of 3rd party, Crypto simply doesn't give you that information. Any team can push you from outside the drone range with a bouncepad, flight or zip very quickly. You should just always play as though there's a risk that you're going to be third partied. Play in such a way that if you do get third partied, it's more effort to push you than the other team you're fighting, and then you'll more often than not find yourself the beneficiary of the third party.

If your talking about low levels of play and pubs then sure, Crypto can tell you if you're about to get thirded taking some random fight at edge of map or something. But who even cares? There's nothing real on the line there and even if it says there's 3 or 4 squads in the area you're better off putting yourself in the thick of it because the only thing at stake is your own development as a player. Wasting time in drone or playing passively because there are too many squads in the area is counterintuitive to that.

As for buffing Crypto, I don't think they should buff anything to do with his scans. They're fine as they are and we don't need more wall-hack opportunities in the game. They could start by bringing his passive to his UI rather than the drone UI, so then he actually has a passive. Try to add a little bit more utility outside of drone too.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested to see what they change on her.
Rumour is she will be able to see enemies through buildings, fly under the map, and give out 1-year bans.
The Sentinel is now the worst sniper in the game. Charge rifle always has the benefit of not having to lead shots, so it's slightly better. The Longbow has a faster fire rate and nearly the same damage output as the Sentinel(uncharged). Plus, having to charge the Sentinel with shield cells is bad because they are so important and somewhat hard to come by. I don't know what they should do with this sniper.
Spoiler alert: it was always the worst sniper in the game lol.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I like the Sentinel :(

It's satisfying to use and when charged up it's a great poking tool. I even use it in arenas from time to time.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I know I'm gimping myself, but I stan Rampart. Her personality is just too fun, lol.

She's top tier in Arenas. The passive for extra bullets in LMGs + the covers for better positioning are really good in Arenas, since you pick your weapons before the match and you don't have to move around the map that much

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Rumour is she will be able to see enemies through buildings, fly under the map, and give out 1-year bans.

Spoiler alert: it was always the worst sniper in the game lol.

Negative, it was better than the Longbow until the Longbow got it's buff in season 9. Sentinel was actually good if you couldn't find a Kraber. The new Tempo attachment gets better fire rate, but it's still inferior to the Longbow at this point.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Decent squads know how many teams are in the area (or at least can approximate to an extent that's useful), that's what I'm saying, it's just not useful in the way that you describe most of the time.

Look at this as an example, I've timestamped the clip and it's exactly what I was saying before.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Crypto is the last one alive on his squad and the most valuable thing for him to do is to place the drone down at the door so that he can see if he is being pushed (and if so, very briefly delay it). If he scanned the banners at any point in this ring it would simply say '6 squads in the area' because there are 6 squads at that level 4 circle.

At high levels of play, almost all squads that want to win get to the level 3 ring close, at which point crypto's drone is always going to say that there are an insane number of squads in the area. Even in diamond ranked games, you usually have 10 squads in the level 3 ring close. Early on, you can see how many teams are in the area, because you can see their drops and likely rotations.

The other factor, is that because of Octane/Path/Valk (all of whom are pretty prominent picks), if you're talking about whether you should initiate a fight or not for fear of 3rd party, Crypto simply doesn't give you that information. Any team can push you from outside the drone range with a bouncepad, flight or zip very quickly. You should just always play as though there's a risk that you're going to be third partied. Play in such a way that if you do get third partied, it's more effort to push you than the other team you're fighting, and then you'll more often than not find yourself the beneficiary of the third party.

If your talking about low levels of play and pubs then sure, Crypto can tell you if you're about to get thirded taking some random fight at edge of map or something. But who even cares? There's nothing real on the line there and even if it says there's 3 or 4 squads in the area you're better off putting yourself in the thick of it because the only thing at stake is your own development as a player. Wasting time in drone or playing passively because there are too many squads in the area is counterintuitive to that.

As for buffing Crypto, I don't think they should buff anything to do with his scans. They're fine as they are and we don't need more wall-hack opportunities in the game. They could start by bringing his passive to his UI rather than the drone UI, so then he actually has a passive. Try to add a little bit more utility outside of drone too.

Here's the problem for Respawn: How do you make legends that can help players at low skill levels that won't break the game at high skill levels? To me, this is why Seer is such a big issue because a high level Seer player is a major pain in the ass while Crypto just doesn't even make it past the low / mid skill level use because everyone figures out quickly that there are better options (like Seer or BH).

In Titanfall 1 Respawn made the Smart Pistol. A gun that literally had auto aim, so it could help players who essentially suck at FPS's still enjoy the game. This is essentially what they're doing in Apex by bringing in another wall hack legend(s) where there should really only be one scanning legend in the entire game. You don't need 3 of them (and arguably a 4th with Valk's scanning ult).

Where it comes back to being a problem for Respawn is that on the one hand they want to make a serious competitive BR game and at the same time get more and more players of low skill (which is probably the majority of everyone playing the game) to buy into Apex and make them billions of dollars a year. So part of me gets the logic with all these wall hackers and maybe it's okay that one of the three totally isn't viable at high skill levels.

Last edited:

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
It's really fucking stupid that the quitting penalty isn't universal across the game. I'd say half of the games we play a day have a quitter before the match starts or quitting before their banner expires.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Proud member of the Sentinel fan club here.

I don't care that it's not as effective as other guns, landing an amped headshot knock is one of the most satisfying pieces of audiovisual feedback in the game, and I live for it.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018

I don't care that it's not as effective as other guns, landing an amped headshot knock is one of the most satisfying pieces of audiovisual feedback in the game, and I live for it.
GTWGSC.gif

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
I would like to thank the current Seer meta for giving me my best Mirage game. Lost my duo partner mid-top 5 and won solo, pretty sure every team had a Seer (with a BH and Crypto sprinkled in there). Back-to-back third partying with scan happy people, having decoys just made it pure chaos for them, LOVED IT. It's reminding me somewhat of how IQ from Seige was, a key factor in her toolkit becoming more valued was not just from direct buffs but from new characters being introduced that she could counter.

This 100 Percent

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
right fuck this. Ranked. i'm the only guy in my squad. game says finding players 58/60. Just fucking kick me back to lobby instead of forcing me into this shit. Fucking awful.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
right fuck this. Ranked. i'm the only guy in my squad. game says finding players 58/60. Just fucking kick me back to lobby instead of forcing me into this shit. Fucking awful.
I hate, and I mean HATE when this happens to me. Just say that matchmaking failed or something instead of putting me in these games.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I just started playing this again with my friends for the first time since around Octane's launch. What's the best way to earn Legend Tokens or w/e so I can try out some of the newer ones? Wattson and Valkyrie look really cool.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I just started playing this again with my friends for the first time since around Octane's launch. What's the best way to earn Legend Tokens or w/e so I can try out some of the newer ones? Wattson and Valkyrie look really cool.
No real way to earn tokens faster than just playing.

Wattson and Valk are fun, good luck.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah that has happened to me a few times but I just either immediately quit since you won't lost points or sometimes I'll rat it and squeeze out 6 RP over 20 minutes.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I hate, and I mean HATE when this happens to me. Just say that matchmaking failed or something instead of putting me in these games.

Don't you get loss forgiveness in these scenarios anyway? If so, not having team mates is a good thing, it's a chance to gain RP without anything to lose. Presumably, you did have team mates before the match initiated, but somewhere between the initial queue and the map loading screen they didn't make it.

As far as I'm aware, once the game is at the map screen it's no longer matchmaking, it's loading the 60 players selected from matchmaking into the game. So it can't go back and get more. Best thing they could do is either kick you back, or give you the loss forgiveness and let you play. Personally I'd rather play with the loss forgiveness because like I say, there's nothing to lose.

If I'm mistaken and you don't get loss forgiveness on those games then disregard that though, but I thought you do.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Don't you get loss forgiveness in these scenarios anyway? If so, not having team mates is a good thing, it's a chance to gain RP without anything to lose. Presumably, you did have team mates before the match initiated, but somewhere between the initial queue and the map loading screen they didn't make it.

As far as I'm aware, once the game is at the map screen it's no longer matchmaking, it's loading the 60 players selected from matchmaking into the game. So it can't go back and get more. Best thing they could do is either kick you back, or give you the loss forgiveness and let you play. Personally I'd rather play with the loss forgiveness because like I say, there's nothing to lose.

If I'm mistaken and you don't get loss forgiveness on those games then disregard that though, but I thought you do.

I like to go directly to Fragment and see how many third party kills I can get. Nothing to lose.

Oct 25, 2017
Only way is to get XP, where the majority of it is based on time played so you just have to play. Playing with friends will boost the Survival Time XP gained, and if you all have the battle pass your Top 5 and Win XP boosts from it will stack.

So if you play with friends at all times and you all have the battle pass that's as much XP as you can get.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

I just really hate playing the game solo honestly. If it were duos I think I'd feel more comfortable, but not trios.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
No real way to earn tokens faster than just playing.

Wattson and Valk are fun, good luck.

Only way is to get XP, where the majority of it is based on time played so you just have to play. Playing with friends will boost the Survival Time XP gained, and if you all have the battle pass your Top 5 and Win XP boosts from it will stack.

So if you play with friends at all times and you all have the battle pass that's as much XP as you can get.
I see, thanks for the replies. So these daily/weekly challenges don't help gain XP or anything like that? D:

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't get loss forgiveness today when a rando DC'd on map load-in, which was a minor annoyance.

I haven't played in a while and definitely pretty rusty, but I do notice that Ranked is a bit less of a Fragment-fest than unranked.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
general griping:

apparently someone got my email address and reached out to ea's italian customer service to switch accounts. i know this because the log of the conversation went to my email address and it was just as simple as the thief asking, "can i transfer my account? i lost access to my email" and the cs person going, "oh, ok."

so without asking for any additional information such as a birthdate or if a purchase had been made on the account, or what the password-protection questions were, the cs rep just went ahead and gave this person my account.

fortunately i got it back that night after about an hour dealing with my own cs rep and explaining the situation. okay. it sucks but fine. i went in, turned on 2FA, changed the passwords, all that good stuff.

today i saw the cs survey from italian customer support and let them know they were stupid assholes for doing this. but hey isn't it weird to get a customer service survey three days after the incident?

yep, locked out of my account again. this time because i had 2fa, i could actually try and get into my account via apex, but the game wouldn't load because of weird cloud shit. i think the thief was in my account at the time so it was butting up against that. they changed the email address though and i couldn't get in.

so i called customer service and the dude tells me he can't do anything. i let him know i have the chat log from monday and i know they did this very recently (as of now, about 5-6 hours ago). nope, can't do anything. i ask why, or if there was any information i could provide to him to prove it was me. nope, sorry. can't do anything.

look - i've worked in customer support, so i try not to blow up at cs reps. it's a hard job and sometimes you can't do anything about stuff. so i just hung up on the guy. i was pissed though. called ea back and explained the situation to a new dude. this time he actually sent me a verification code to my email (something the first guy didn't do) and once we were all clear that i was actually me, he proceeded with deactivating the account, and put a flag on it to other cs reps that only someone with my email address can access it. right now it's in a cooldown period for a couple days so the thief may get discouraged. i'll be checking in on saturday to reactivate it as instructed.

not sure if this has happened to anyone else. don't even know how you're supposed to protect against it if all it takes is just telling someone your email address is actually another email address.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
How anyone can hit things with the Longbow is beyond me. That thing purposely curves bullets around enemies for me.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
so my teammate was a pathfinder with 19k kills so i was like, fuck yeah we're gonna win

Of course from the start he wonders off by himself, gets killed immediately and then quits the game with barely any damage. good job, TCB_MementoMori!

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Solo queueing in Gold is a lesson in frustration. One of two things happens, fragment hot drop with some randos that can't hang, or a easy drop where two of us get wiped because the third is off looting then they decide to rat for 10 minutes.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
Solo queueing in Gold is a lesson in frustration. One of two things happens, fragment hot drop with some randos that can't hang, or a easy drop where two of us get wiped because the third is off looting then they decide to rat for 10 minutes.
Just assume your teammates are worthless until proven othewise, use them as meat sheilds and distractions for the enemy and try to capitalize, that's my advice.

Also be ready to abandon teammates if things go south fast.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Last week weekly such a slog and mess, i didn't finish until Monday, this week was easy and finish last night...
BP at 33, 4 more levels and i can purchase the BP and get my 1000 coins back for next season, the rest of coins in the BP is just icing on the top...

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I have definitely had games where I didn't get loss forgiveness when I had 1 missing teammate from the get go.

Did they remove the report function from PS4? I had it when it was released and used it, but now it's back to the old system where it takes you to PSN profile and not the Apex reporting screen. Maybe I reported too many people and was banned?