• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, think I am going to transition back from PC to console...that lasted about a week :( I am going to try a few matches on Xbox and PS4 later this afternoon and see what feels better.

My thoughts on the event so far: fun, but it really emphasizes playing a lot to learn the idiosyncrasies of the loot distribution and then have the best possible jump to win the initial fights. Inventory changes so far feel good?

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I've enjoyed this mode but less for the static loot and more for the static circle

having every match ending in the same spot is great for planning a route and knowing the best place to position late game
had a match last night where my team took the tall building in the south of skyhook, right where the final circles are, and set up on the roof with an interceptor pylon and held the high ground and went on to win

that said, I'm not into the evo shield
the fact that you have to heal it up when it evolves is what makes it balanced but it's also annoying and I'd rather just stick to old reliable
an extra 25 shield isn't worth the benefit of a gold shield either imo

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
i want the weapon skins but i don't know if i can stomach playing enough of this garbo mode to get 10 top 10 finishes a day on it.

Oct 25, 2017
i want the weapon skins but i don't know if i can stomach playing enough of this garbo mode to get 10 top 10 finishes a day on it.
You can get 200 points for playing one game and 400 points for doing 4600 damage every day, which is more than enough for 5000 points during 13 days.

It's actually enough if you play and do 1000 damage for the first damage challenge tier every day.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
You can get 200 points for playing one game and 400 points for doing 3600 damage every day, which is more than enough for 5000 points during 13 days.

It's actually enough if you play and do 1000 damage for the first damage challenge tier every day.

ah it's 2 weeks? I'm looking at the 1 week timer and thinking "nah lol." That's ok then phew.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Opened one event pack for 700 as I figured I'd still have enough gold for the next battlepass and scored the legendary Octane skin....nice. out of all the even items the Pathfinder and Octane skins are the ones I liked the most, so I got lucky.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate these "drop at X location and get 3/4 knocks at five different locations" missions. Not only is it a huge timesink compared to previous weeks' "drop at X different locations", it's an enormous amount of work for a single battle pass tier.
Opened one event pack for 700 as I figured I'd still have enough gold for the next battlepass and scored the legendary Octane skin....nice. out of all the even items the Pathfinder and Octane skins are the ones I liked the most, so I got lucky.
I got the Legendary skins for Bangalore, the R301, and the Alternator. I used credits I got from the pass and buying the Lifeline pack. Considering Bangalore is my fave Legend, I'm hardly complaining (though I'd love to get that Caustic skin).

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Deja loot seems to be bringing out the worse players. I seem to be getting killed by guys camping hard in corners of rooms with the Evo shield.

I suppose the item encourages them to play super cautious when they first pick it up.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I did the same and got the Crypto skin, I'm pleased.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate these "drop at X location and get 3/4 knocks at five different locations" missions. Not only is it a huge timesink compared to previous weeks' "drop at X different locations", it's an enormous amount of work for a single battle pass tier.

If you can keep this pace without doing bad challenges, maintain your sanity and skip them. Laser-focusing to get 1 level or 6000 stars can take a lot of fun out of the game, at least for me:

dEvoW8Kl.jpg

Tango-Pirate

Oct 29, 2017
UK

I don't know why people get so hung up on these ones as I always find I've completed them passively by the end of the season.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
ya I'm almost level 50 (or whatever level you unlock the Wattson skin) and I've been ignoring weekly challenges beyond the character centric ones, and even then it hasn't been a big deal

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I think I'm like level 44 or so on the BP, I feel like I'll finish it before the seasons up.

I really like the cosmetics in Apex, but I wish they weren't so expensive.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I really like the cosmetics in Apex, but I wish they weren't so expensive.
There may be a correlation here.

As for the new mode, there is one location that has TWO purple shields in easy close proximity for a really nice starting location. Weapon spread is decent too.

The Evo Shield sounds great but in practice is made redundant by regular shields still being available in the game. If you remove blue, purple, gold from the game and only keep the white, then you have something. That would make those Evos really worthwhile. Maybe that's their plan?

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Im really liking the train tunnel near overlook that has the 6 loot bins in it. Nobody goes there and it has a purple shield, prowler and extended mag.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
The Evo Shield sounds great but in practice is made redundant by regular shields still being available in the game. If you remove blue, purple, gold from the game and only keep the white, then you have something. That would make those Evos really worthwhile. Maybe that's their plan?
That's my feeling too, I've only taken an Evo when I have no other option, because there's no scenario where I'd want to put myself at a 25HP disadvantage, even for the possibility of a higher capacity. Maybe they should drop with 50HP capacity but need to be recharged first.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That's my feeling too, I've only taken an Evo when I have no other option, because there's no scenario where I'd want to put myself at a 25HP disadvantage, even for the possibility of a higher capacity. Maybe they should drop with 50HP capacity but need to be recharged first.

I don't think they'd be all that crazy even if it started with 50hp ready to go. The pips need healed anyway, and you're likely to just armor swap whoever you fight. It's still asking a lot to heal up a fully broken evo shield over swapping a purple on someone's body even if you level it. White/Blue evo is just worse than the others until you hit purple, but given the fast pace of the game/abundance of third parties quickly swapping and saving the meds is just better. The payoff of 25 extra hp is nice but I don't think it's worth the rest.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly if they want to have an amazing BR experience they should replace all shields with the Evo shield and make it start with 25hp. Want more shields? Get aggressive.

It'd solve the shitty BR problem of "we have the same gun, similar skill level, but he found purple and I found white". Given their stance re:SBMM and keeping it there, I'd say it'd be a step in the right direction for the game. Fuck armour advantages and BS RNG.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if they want to have an amazing BR experience they should replace all shields with the Evo shield and make it start with 25hp. Want more shields? Get aggressive.

It'd solve the shitty BR problem of "we have the same gun, similar skill level, but he found purple and I found white". Given their stance re:SBMM and keeping it there, I'd say it'd be a step in the right direction for the game. Fuck armour advantages and BS RNG.

I still haven't tried the update yet but this is what I thought would happen. The entire playlist was evo and you had no choice but to fight if you wanted to upgrade.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
That would be a pretty bad idea and would incentivize only one style of (aggressive) play when there're legends that are meant to be defensive and hang back.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
My two cents on the Evo Shield after one play session: You're going to lose a lot more often early game being down 25 shield than you are going to win late game for having 25 more shield.

Evo Shield is something to pick up off a dead body if it's already evolved to purple. I've really only decided to pick it up if I have a Charge Rifle for safe chip damage. Even then, doesn't seem worth the risk or investment.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
If you can keep this pace without doing bad challenges, maintain your sanity and skip them. Laser-focusing to get 1 level or 6000 stars can take a lot of fun out of the game, at least for me:
Ah, thanks for sharing that chart. Good to see I'm ahead of schedule lol

That actually sounds like a good idea in theory. Would be interested to see how it plays out.

You can hang back and shoot people at the same time. They even said that evo shields were designed to give "poking" a place in the meta.
Yeah, I've really taken to sniping lately (happy for the little Sentinel buff), and the Evo is fine for that. Actually quite rewarding when you go up a level from some well-placed shots.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just before the patch dropped yesterday we ran a couple games and so glad I got this finally.

Nice one mate, that 4K badge jealously burns in me. I'm not likely to ever push 3K even.

Yeah, déjà loot is kinda lame after a few games. Once you find an optimal drop location and route to the final rings every game gets so similar.

I also bought Octane's heirloom. It's cool and all but they missed their chance of having it double as the regular Octane stim syringe.

We ran the same exact game 3-4 times last night, we had a run of 4 wins out of 5 games with a full squad. There's a nice strategy to be evolved game to game but it would get quite repetitive if you pushed to play 10 or 15 games of it. This is why the circle and flight path will alter daily too. I'm curious to see how that affects things. I think the final circle placement on the event launch day was brilliant, we had such great fights in the final closing circles.

My two cents on the Evo Shield after one play session: You're going to lose a lot more often early game being down 25 shield than you are going to win late game for having 25 more shield.

Evo Shield is something to pick up off a dead body if it's already evolved to purple. I've really only decided to pick it up if I have a Charge Rifle for safe chip damage. Even then, doesn't seem worth the risk or investment.

If you're sniping or have a safety such as Gibby's shield it's more tolerable or advantageous, you don't waste time looking or fighting for loot. I find it good being a support player, two squad mates or straight up killers so I'll give them the high quality loot on purpose, then have to scrap around for loot for myself. EVO helps that somewhat. I do think they should ditch white single level EVO though.

As for inventory and stack changes I have to agree this has really made you think further about what you're carrying and the final circles feel faster paced in a good way too. I'm enjoying Deja Loot so far immensely.

Also shout out to this one player's lag wiping our whole squad. That sucked.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
All shields being evo still wouldn't be great since you just trade damage with people and swap their shields. Still get a huge benefit from third partying and snagging someone else's leveled shield too, the armor quick swapping will always make evo shields not very good. But the alternative (shields being empty on a body) would make third parties even stronger.

The specific early game "I have white vs purple and died" wouldn't happen, but you would still get "I had a p2020 he had a select fire prowler". Or just finding attachments without a weapon, or no shield. RNG is pretty inevitable and frustration will always be part of it. I don't think this loot mode fixes much seeing how people all in and fight over the best stuff, and if you have to bail on it at the drop a squad that's kitted out is gunning right for you.

I could still see them trying an all evo shield mode though, seems worth a shot.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shit, this almost looks like it's being exploited on purpose, he was so fucking aggressive.

It's tough on that one to not just sit there and call out cheater. I'm outplayed constantly, generally my old man aim is what does me in more than positioning or anything but this player just had us dialed in with that lag.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Finally tried the LTM. Fixed loot can be interesting. You know what's not interesting? Solo queuing and ending up in final 3 with a full predator 3 stack playing this shit like it's ranked.

The community will kill this game. And also Respawn's inability to realize how dumb it is for solos to go against premades. Also, more fucking content and still no solos, which they've already made and know it works fine.

This game is dead to me.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finally tried the LTM. Fixed loot can be interesting. You know what's not interesting? Solo queuing and ending up in final 3 with a full predator 3 stack playing this shit like it's ranked.

The community will kill this game. And also Respawn's inability to realize how dumb it is for solos to go against premades. Also, more fucking content and still no solos, which they've already made and know it works fine.

This game is dead to me.

The skill level required in the final squads/circles is intense these days, as you say especially solos vs stacked teams.

Oct 31, 2017

I too have only had one play session since the update, and this is mostly my thoughts too. It's really not worth it until it gets up to tier 3 purple.

I think two things that could really help it would be lessening the damage requirements to move up levels by somewhere between 25-50%. Then, I think they could stand to be so when you proc the next tier, it would auto-regenerate shields, and perhaps not like an immediate fill, but the gradual fill akin to Halo's shield regeneration. This could make for some really interesting situations where someone is wearing one in a fight, is weak, but knows if they can just hyper-aggro to land more damage, then suddenly they are ready for more action. If they did something like this, they'd definitely have to make the "shield restore" visual effect more noticeable. There's already an effect that shows when people repair their armor, but if they made the Evo Shield recover at tier moves, I think they'd need to make it more standout, especially from a distance. And maybe give it its own distinct sound effect also. Think the Halo shield regeneration effects.

I think this could be a good way to make them more worthwhile, but then, it might swing them a bit too hard to too good. Not sure. I do think they are interesting on the whole though.

As it is right now, Level 1 -> 2 takes 100 dmg. 2 -> 3 takes 300 additional damage. Then 3 -> 4 takes 500 additional damage. Changing the damage requirements to 75, 250, and 400 might be a bit better. Picking up one at the start of a game and having to do 900 damage just to see an extra 25 hp at endgame has to be quite a tough ask for a large number of the playerbase. And even then, I still almost think I'd rather have gold armor with 50% faster heals than 25 hp extra in fight onsets.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone else ever tried both X1X and PS4Pro? I am considering moving from PC back to console, and X1X has the advantage of having a good amount of cosmetics, level 50 character, etc, while my PSN account is like 10 games in at level 8. However, I get consistently mediocre performance (both framerate and smoothess) on X1X, yet PS4Pro feels smooth and solid, which...makes no sense according to all the tech stuff I have read about the game. Might end up not bothering switching back, but curious what other people had seen.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
The Evo shield doesn't seem that bad. It definitely encourages an aggressive playstyle, and getting it to purple level isn't that hard.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
The numbers are pretty mad on the evo shield. You need to do something like 350 damage just to get it to the same level as a blue shield. Who is going to bother doing that? They aren't worth the risk as it currently stands imo.

SamSuperior

Nov 16, 2017
I think it's quite obvious that the EVO-Shield is meant to be a "Sniper-Shield". Poke the sh*t out of everyone. With the given ring-pattern it's even easier to set up a sniping spot and predict the movement of the enemies.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Does damage on downed enemies count toward the Evo shield? I've only used it once and easily got it to purple level. I was however packing a sniper in that game so was doing a lot of damage at long range.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
A new update was pushed on my PS4 this morning, and it fixed the battlepass tab error, thankfully.

I think it's quite obvious that the EVO-Shield is meant to be a "Sniper-Shield". Poke the sh*t out of everyone. With the given ring-pattern it's even easier to set up a sniping spot and predict the movement of the enemies.

Yet another attempt from Respawn to shake the meta towards more sniping but we're still not interested in the slightest, sorry not sorry, snipers aren't fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.