• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
This week I've been playing mostly without picking up a gun or any other type of weapon. It's oddly soothing to wander around peacefully and oblivious to any harm while the rest of the map is trying to kill each other. I usually make it to top three, even when I'm not making any effort to avoid the others. Often, people won't even see me. My squad mates seem cool with it - most of the time. I usually give them a heads up at the beginning of the match. One time I had a squad that stuck with me and tried to protect me. They even ran off into the storm to catch my banner. Very wholesome.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
This week I've been playing mostly without picking up a gun or any other type of weapon. It's oddly soothing to wander around peacefully and oblivious to any harm while the rest of the map is trying to kill each other. I usually make it to top three, even when I'm not making any effort to avoid the others. Often, people won't even see me. My squad mates seem cool with it - most of the time. I usually give them a heads up at the beginning of the match. One time I had a squad that stuck with me and tried to protect me. They even ran off into the storm to catch my banner. Very wholesome.
You do you but man I would be pissed if I was matched with you lol. I barely get time to play as it is, I don't need a teammate taking a peaceful stroll on one of my two games for the day.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
tenor.gif

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
You do you but man I would be pissed if I was matched with you lol. I barely get time to play as it is, I don't need a teammate taking a peaceful stroll on one of my two games for the day.
That's why I usually announce it at the beginning of the match, so people will know upfront what they are dealing with. I do revives and respawns, though, if the situation allows for it.

I can't. Sorry.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
65e.jpg

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Honestly, I can understand, the map is quite pleasant to stroll in, should you not be chased by blood-thirsty people wanting to kill you all the time.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Prolly the realest post in this thread.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde

Apex Legends has really nice ambient sounds. I can imagine this being pretty zen.

another ash

Feb 12, 2020
unknown.png

I wanted to share this with somewhere since I'm feeling pretty overjoyed by getting it on PC via solo queue. From someone that struggled to get a K/D ratio of 1.0 in season one this made me feel nice.

I usually give them a heads up at the beginning of the match. One time I had a squad that stuck with me and tried to protect me. They even ran off into the storm to catch my banner.
Honestly if I was paired with a friend, playing protect the president would seem like a hell of a fun twist.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
unknown.png

I wanted to share this with somewhere since I'm feeling pretty overjoyed by getting it on PC via solo queue. From someone that struggled to get a K/D ratio of 1.0 in season one this made me feel nice.

Honestly if I was paired with a friend, playing protect the president would seem like a hell of a fun twist.

We'll done mate. I know first hand of the grind once you starting hitting the higher gold's and platinum...

Im actually enjoying solo queuing in ranked. At platinum I'm at least getting matched with players that can fire a gun.... Normal queues are a totally different experience. Players that I'm pretty sure don't know how to use a controller properly, let alone a fast paced shooter like Apex.

I seriously think the game should have some sort of compulsory moderately difficult training session against bots that you are required to complete before you get to go in the arena.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Apex Legends has really nice ambient sounds. I can imagine this being pretty zen.
I can recommend the little bridge south of the fragments of Capitol City. It goes across the lava fissure. Nice sounds of upwind there.

If ranked his teammates should thank him for getting top 3. If they get a couple kills without him that's some points possibly on their end.
Just had a game in which I respawned one of my team mates two times and carried the team to #3. They kept watching me - probably because they got to witness the magic of staying invisible even though people ran right in front of me.

Here's a theory:
A lot of players initially detect enemies not so much by sight, but by aggression (e. g. getting shot at). By not shooting at them and acting peacefully, I more or less pass by their initial detectors.

Here's another theory:
The only true enemy is the ring. Even though the game system is nudging us towards an aggressive playstyle (the mere presence of weapons and shields, the initial training, the ranking system, the impossibility to verbally communicate with other groups outside of one's own), none of the players are actually forced to shoot at each other.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Are people still using this discord?

Yeah, we try! But it's not really active much, but I keep an eye on it and I know a handful of other people do as well.

Here's a theory:
A lot of players initially detect enemies not so much by sight, but by aggression (e. g. getting shot at). By not shooting at them and acting peacefully, I more or less pass by their initial detectors.

Honestly, this is why I often make at least top 4 in ranked if I'm all alone, because I don't shoot anything that moves, because my mobility is superior since I don't have my guns out, and I slide and jump a lot, and I'm aware of all the tinest advantages the map can offer. So often I've seen my teammates engage a team cause they thought it was gonna be fun to poke at them, only for us to become encircled by several teams alerted by the sound of their guns. So many times I've had to plea "please don't engage now no matter how tempting it is, or we'll just be open targets to everybody around and we don't know if our positioning is good enough to handle that". I'd rather wait silently until I hear a gunfight, and be the ones third-partying this. And if a fight takes too long for one team or the other to die, then disengage, retreat and reposition elsewhere, cause people ARE gonna third-party this for sure.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
hate saving my squad, ressing both, then them looting the fuck out of everything and leaving me nothing. Not even a medkit to heal my 15hp.

Left them to play on their own and went on to get 3rd place solo.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Who needs another energy weapon when you can loot a gold 301 laser rifle off a man and go on to get 10 kills and the win?

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Played 10 ranked games last night. Overall gained a bunch of points, but man, it was a frustrating experience. 6-7 games I was solo within the first 5 minutes because of teammates who don't know when to back off from a fight.

I feel like you should get a flat number of points when you down someone. Maybe like 5 RP per down, per player (so if you down someone once, and down them again, you only get the points once to avoid grinding). So many times I'll get 2 downs in a squad, get the last guy to 15 hp, and then my teammates completely drop the ball and get melted, so I don't get anything for all the work I just put in...

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When Kings Canyon was back for a few days, I found it very peaceful to hang out near the edge of the Airbase overlooking the water. You could hear the wind. The sound kind of reminded me of Big Shell from Metal Gear Solid 2.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
This is a great idea. Maybe I'll start making a habit of this to wind down after a hectic sesh.
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had the left stick at anything other than full tilt while playing Apex...

I like to think that if I saw you or any other pacifist player activity, I'd temper my trigger finger and just let you be on your way.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018

I did this once with a friend who never ever touched a videogame except for a bit of Just Dance. We just strolled far from the action, looking at the scenery. Very chill.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
And I like to solo drop to The Dome and stare at the ceiling in that one house. So relaxing and chill.

You weirdos are a part of why this game is actually unplayable solo.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Not sure I'm digging all those changes about the inventory, really. We have more space, but we can hold less things? Carrying grenades will really become difficult now, and meds will require more place too? Not excited at all about this nerf.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest change are the backpacks and item stacking. Hopefully this prevents grenade spam.

And a sentinel buff for faster chambering. I gotta try.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Not sure I'm digging all those changes about the inventory, really. We have more space, but we can hold less things? Carrying grenades will really become difficult now, and meds will require more place too? Not excited at all about this nerf.

Yeah this seems a little short sighted. I was stoked seeing 8 -> 10 and then was ok with grenade stacks going down, but then the health and ammo stuff... Seems kind of needless.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I believe Sentinal needed a much more substantial buff. They've essentially nerfed it by reducing shield battery stacks, so 1.85 to 1.75 reload with a slight damage increase seems weak.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, didn't expect the inv' change. But grenade stacking was a problem.
Wonder how the Sent' buff and prowler Red Dot will turn out.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah those are some good changes imo.

This is actually a wraith nerf on the muzzle flash in my opinion - she often disappears in certain ranges and environments while you shoot at her. Not so much now I hope.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Those are pretty big changes.

Inventory stuff is going to impact a lot. Gonna take awhile to adjust even if you have more slots.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Hope they tweak Revenant's ult in the next patch. Interested to see how the inventory changes pan out but this seems to be a good update.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
Ok, ranked matchmaking is completely fucked. I get gold teammates while playing against 3 stack pred squads.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Inventory changes sound good. One thing I was noticing recently is that I often ended up with few to none shield cells/syringes at the start of a match because my teammates hoovered them all up and I didn't have a chance to grab any. That may have been part of the reasoning for this change... by allowing you to carry less, everyone should have some on them, but will also potentially run out faster.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Inventory changes sound good. One thing I was noticing recently is that I often ended up with few to none shield cells/syringes at the start of a match because my teammates hoovered them all up and I didn't have a chance to grab any. That may have been part of the reasoning for this change... by allowing you to carry less, everyone should have some on them, but will also potentially run out faster.
Yeah this makes sense - same with ammo types. Also, the grenade stacks seems like the right thing to do. They get spammed so hard near the final few circles, and eliminate almost all ability to maneuver.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Seriously. The grenade spam had gotten totally out of hand in those smaller ending circles. It basically made your guns obsolete, so if you had to spam 'nades earlier to break through and were out, you essentially were going to lose no matter what.

Balance is always difficult, but this all seems like good changes that will make every consumable in the game more valuable.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
From today, I love grenades in this game.

This match was five minutes of searching everywhere for the last squad, which I can only assume was a Wraith doing infinite phases somewhere...

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Grenades being harder to stack is also a way to weaken Wattson at the top level. I'd guess that's their bigger reason since her ult is a massive swing in the late circles by making the spam one sided.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
This match was five minutes of searching everywhere for the last squad, which I can only assume was a Wraith doing infinite phases somewhere...

Damn, a few days ago I've seen a video of a ranked match in which there was a Wraith versus a team of three, and she kept infinite phasing around them for full 4 minutes, driving them mad, they couldn't hurt her or hit her in anyway (gas, melee, gunshots, nothing was working), until there was no ring at all and she ended up winning because of the constant phasing glitch. This is so infuriating tbh.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Had my first ranked win the other night. Playing with just one other random, no less.
He was Gibby, I was Path. Revenant went down and quit on us early on.
We ended up sneaking around, 3rd partying a big fire fight and barely surviving a clean-up attempt on us as the circle closed.
I managed to pull off one of those huge revives, grabbing his banner from outside the circle and using a bunch of syringes.

Much crouch-bowing and playful punch-thanking ensued.
Then we made a mad dash through the tunnel approaching Train Yard as the next circle closed, opening the vault and grabbing purple shields just in time.

We snuck our way into Train Yard, where another massive firefight was taking place.
We bided our time, and I zipped us to one of the far suspended containers where we sniped for a while, as other squads scrambled in from all directions.
Eventually we were pushed down to the large warehouse, where Gibby dropped a life-saving dome.
One final push to the fields using another zipline, where we battled the last squad around some vehicles.

I did some damage but went down. Started self reviving but then YOU ARE THE CHAMPION.
Gibby, that crazy sonofa came through! Cue more bowing, punching and shooting the sky.

Such an amazing and tense game. Awesome combination of timing, mutual trust and luck. I'm only Bronze 1 now but just had to share.
Best thing about it was my wife randomly decided to watch me play, and she got really into it, asking questions the whole time. (The only other games she's enjoyed watching/playing were the original Dark Souls and TLoU Factions, so this was a big deal lol).
We were both going spare at the end. The highs of Apex are truly unique.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The inventory changes sound amazing. The grenade spam can get ridiculous late game and it feels like poking is entirely irrelevant with everyone carrying half a backbag of shields. This patch reduces the overall carrying capacity quite a bit.

At the same time it makes carrying attachments easier, which is relevant early game when you're still looking for weapons. Also, smaller stacks are irrelevant in the beginning when you're unlikely to have more than 40 bullets or a couple of shields anyway. The 8 inventory slots have been obnoxiously punishing when you're already unlucky with loot, so good riddance.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
People on Reddit were complaining that this means this'll incentivize single-shot weapons like the Wingman over automatics like the Flatline.

I don't think that's the case. It's more that there's now a clear tradeoff for taking some guns versus others: you'll have more space for equipment and ordnance since less will be consumed by ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.