• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Twice today I was in one of the last two teams with my friends. Getting better but still lack tactical experience. Dangit I love this game.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I know I've played this game too much.

But I'm getting sick of levelling up over and over and receiving no real reward.

I've been sitting at level 100 for over 10 days now, and all I have for it is 60,000 Legend Tokens (the red currency).

I get that they might not have planned for people to level up so quickly, but it also wouldn't have been difficult to allow players to continue to unlock lootboxes every few levels.
I feel like this game is the first exposure to free to play for a lot of people because getting free lootboxes is just not something that happens. If you're not paying anything while playing Fortnite you don't really get much of anything, each season the free tiers get some scraps but it's next to nothing. I don't get the expectation of having them give away their money maker.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this game is the first exposure to free to play for a lot of people because getting free lootboxes is just not something that happens. If you're not paying anything while playing Fortnite you don't really get much of anything, each season the free tiers get some scraps but it's next to nothing. I don't get the expectation of having them give away their money maker.
Other games having shitty loot economies doesn't do anything to mitigate the problematic structure of the economy here. Most of us have no problem paying to support the game. The problem is the current system is incredibly stingy and doesn't feel worth supporting because most of the stuff you get is shit and no way in hell are these skins worth 20 dollars. Thats not even considering the special skins they advertise for red currency which you can't even buy unless youve unlocked the base skin which the advertised skin is just a reskin of. Its incredibly fucking stingy and I don't think any of us care that fortnite's system isn't great either.

TheJerkster

Feb 12, 2019
I'm getting better! Getting 2-5 kills a game now and won with two randoms earlier, as well as a tense second! Definitely feel like I know what to use now and I understand it more, shame none of my friends play it, I need team mates on PS4! :(

Add me on PSN: I'll be on this weekend.

PSN: JerkinsMania

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Other games having shitty loot economies doesn't do anything to mitigate the problematic structure of the economy here. Most of us have no problem paying to support the game. The problem is the current system is incredibly stingy and doesn't feel worth supporting because most of the stuff you get is shit and no way in hell are these skins worth 20 dollars. Thats not even considering the special skins they advertise for red currency which you can't even buy unless youve unlocked the base skin which the advertised skin is just a reskin of. Its incredibly fucking stingy and I don't think any of us care that fortnite's system isn't great either.
I don't think there's anything stingy about releasing a game that's this exceptionally well done for free.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If my respawn times out I should be able to leave while still getting experience for the round. It's bullshit that I don't. I don't want to sit around and watch my dumb teammate who refused to grab my banner for the next 10 minutes. Fix that shit, Respawn.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
If my respawn times out I should be able to leave while still getting experience for the round. It's bullshit that I don't. I don't want to sit around and watch my dumb teammate who refused to grab my banner for the next 10 minutes. Fix that shit, Respawn.
You do get XP once your banner times out.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there's anything stingy about releasing a game that's this exceptionally well done for free.
And no one is talking about the gameplay, were talking about its cosmetic loot system. Being free to play doesn't change anything. Acting like because its a good game and free to play alleviates it's loot system from criticism is silly.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
I swear the most fun thing in this game is getting a close range shot into someone with a Peacekeeper with precision choke on. It just feels so juicy.

I've been playing shooters for decades at this point and can honestly say that Apex is almost peerless amongst shooters from a gameplay/gunplay point of view. I don't even like the BR genre yet I keep clicking the matchmake button after getting continuously rolled in Apex for hours. It is so damn fun to shoot guns in this game. I haven't revisited FEAR in years to know if that game's gunplay still holds up but I feel like Apex (and perhaps DOOM) is the only game to emulate the same thrill of clicking a mouse button to shoot a gun as FEAR.

Can't wait for the battle pass. I'm also really hoping they expand the content with new maps, new game modes and perhaps a more traditional objective/arena style mode with respawns. I feel like this gunplay somewhat goes to waste on the BR mode where it can be 5-10 minutes between meaningful enemy encounters depending on the flow of the game.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait for the battle pass. I'm also really hoping they expand the content with new maps, new game modes and perhaps a more traditional objective/arena style mode with respawns. I feel like this gunplay somewhat goes to waste on the BR mode where it can be 5-10 minutes between meaningful enemy encounters depending on the flow of the game.

I'm pretty sure the gunplay came from Titanfall 2 which has a more traditional TDM but no one is playing it sadly .

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
And no one is talking about the gameplay, were talking about its cosmetic loot system. Being free to play doesn't change anything. Acting like because its a good game and free to play alleviates it's loot system from criticism is silly.
If anything expecting a free to play game to have the same kind of progression allowance as a retail product like, say, Overwatch, is silly. Context matters.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
It's so much easier queuing solo than with friends, the other squads don't know what they're doing at all.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
That's weird because I just left a lobby for this reason and it doesn't look like I got any? Maybe it's just not showing properly on my end.
It's weird, because I feel like that's happened to me, too, but I'm pretty sure as long as the game is displaying the "Press Space to Return to Lobby" prompt, you're not supposed to be penalized for leaving. And it changes from "Press Space to Ping Banner" to "Press Space to Return to Lobby" after the timer expires.

Wow, one of the coolest plays I've pulled off in this game.
The fadeaway shot was sweet. You can media embed Streamable clips, you don't have to link them.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If anything expecting a free to play game to have the same kind of progression allowance as a retail product like, say, Overwatch, is silly. Context matters.
Again that does not mean we cannot criticize whats currently there. It doesn't necessarily need to be like overwatch's system. But that also doesn't mean that it is impervious to criticism because its a free to play game. Most of us are pointing out that they would likely be seeing larger sales if their system felt less cheap and scummy. We want to pay them money. But this system is designed to take far more money from you than anything that its worth, let alone the 60 dollars it would cost if it were a normal release.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Again that does not mean we cannot criticize whats currently there. It doesn't necessarily need to be like overwatch's system. But that also doesn't mean that it is impervious to criticism because its a free to play game. Most of us are pointing out that they would likely be seeing larger sales if their system felt less cheap and scummy. We want to pay them money. But this system is designed to take far more money from you than anything that its worth, let alone the 60 dollars it would cost if it were a normal release.
I am not saying you can't criticize the system. I am saying that wanting the lootbox level up progression to be infinitely available, while it would be nice, is naive.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Twitch numbers are falling. Really can't believe they didn't release the battle pass. Theyre letting fortnite take back their throne.

I am not saying you can't criticize the system. I am saying that wanting the lootbox level up progression to be infinitely available, while it would be nice, is naive.
I don't think it is. Respawn has shown theyre listening to feedback. If we want a better system we can all ask for it and hopefully they'll listen and rework it (or rectify it with the battlepass system).

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lifeline has got to be the best.

Her passive is just too good. Feels cheap sometimes.

I'd agree with that. Hell, BOTH passives are nutty. You can actually get away with a lot of BS with that rez shield, on top of the passive heal.

For all the bickering about Wraith's hitbox, Lifeline's isn't much bigger. I'd put Lifeline and Bangalore at the top, with Wraith/Bloodhound a bit below. Though they're all great.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I won this match last night where at some point I grabbed a golden armor from a coffin and our Wraith starts shooting me, I asumed she wanted it and for a second I thought "screw it, it's mine" but then I realized that she was doing most of the work so I decided to give it to her.
The last shootout she dies first and I brought two enemies and a half down and won the match.

Felt good lol

At the 2:20 minutes mark you can see when she shoots me to get the armor (I was in a party chat but my friends left and I left it on, that's why you hear noise)

I mean, he was carrying you all for the most part tho

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Twitch numbers are falling. Really can't believe they didn't release the battle pass. Theyre letting fortnite take back their throne.
Counterstrike has double fortnite right now, Epic better release a 5v5 competitive mode quick before their left in the dust...

This is such a ridiculous stance. They'll release the battle pass when they are ready, that don't need to respond to something as arbitrary as twitch rankings or people's strange compulsion to spend money.

I can't play other people's embedded Streamable clips in Chrome for some reason, I assume it's the same for others so that's why I link them.
It's adblock.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Apex does not need to defeat fortnite to be successful.
Nor did I say it did. But if you dont think they aren't working towards overthrowing it idk what to tell you.

Counterstrike has double fortnite right now, Epic better release a 5v5 competitive mode quick before their left in the dust...

This is such a ridiculous stance. They'll release the battle pass when they are ready, that don't need to respond to something as arbitrary as twitch rankings or people's strange compulsion to spend money.

It's adblock.
Refer to above. But yes they don't care about twitch, which is why they probably paid millions of dollars to get the top twitch streamers to advertise their game for them when they announced or running tournaments through twitch with top streamers. So arbitrary.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Refer to above. But yes they don't care about twitch, which is why they probably paid millions of dollars to get the top twitch streamers to advertise their game for them when they announced or running tournaments through twitch with top streamers. So arbitrary.
It's not all or nothing. Their marketing isn't a failure because they aren't beating fortnite

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It just seems like a design oversight.

Because it doesn't make sense from a player psychology point of view, to remove all lootbox rewards from players. The reason games like Overwatch and FIFA Ultimate team let players earn packs slowly, is because these occasional rewards instil a positive feeling that becomes associated with the lootboxes.

If you take reward schedule away completely, it just harms that association, and reduces the affective incentive to buy boxes.

Apex's monetisation and reward schedules are far more stingy than a mobile gatcha game.

I hold hope that they just didn't expect to see players hit 100 so soon.

I imagine it's a horribly misguided attempt to get people buying coins.

Nor did I say it did. But if you dont think they aren't working towards overthrowing it idk what to tell you.

I'm not in software, but I strongly doubt that's an in-company stated objective. In a space dominated by PUBG and Fortnite, I imagine they're ecstatic they were even able to carve any room at all, let alone have the impact that they did.

They wouldn't be pouring millions in resources into twitch if they didn't care or take it seriously.

Taking it seriously and toppling a global phenomenon are mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not all or nothing. Their marketing isn't a failure because they aren't beating fortnite
Nor did I say it was haha. But they certainly WANT to be beating fortnite and their investments in it are not an arbitrary evaluation. They wouldn't be pouring millions in resources into twitch if they didn't care or take it seriously.

Oct 27, 2017
I just for the life of me understand the shooting in this game. Hit somebody 6-7 times, take out there armor, still I die after being shot 2-3 times while having level 3 armor.

Like I don't understand. Is the accuracy of bullets randomized?

I want to enjoy the game but it is just getting frustrating shooting somebody a half dozen times or more and them then turning around and killing me like nothing.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
I like this game

It's fun

I agree.

12461.jpg

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just for the life of me understand the shooting in this game. Hit somebody 6-7 times, take out there armor, still I die after being shot 2-3 times while having level 3 armor.

I want to enjoy the game but it is just getting frustrating shooting somebody a half dozen times or more and them then turning around and killing me like nothing.

Would need a clip to see what actually happened.
Hitting someone 6-7 times with P2020 is not the same as hitting 6-7 times with wingman.

Bullets usually go pretty much where you aim.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

No, the accuracy is exact and the recoil is predictable. I'd say just keep at it, sometimes you just get outshot and it's possible they're hitting you in the head or hitting you with something that does a lot of damage per shot like a wingman, shotgun or longbow.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas

You're probably getting Wingman'd.

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Under settings, I would turn on both floating and stacked damage numbers, to see if you're landing limb shots. Could you not be adjusting for vertical recoil and shooting their legs?

just_one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Drive-by trolling in a community thread.
Games like this, fortnite , pub g and so on are completly trash....shit like these will never enter my ps4 or pc. Just money grabbing crap ....

Its a real shame these are the games that millions play these days....

Status
Not open for further replies.