• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
stupid leavers. I really do hope they implement a notification for the leaver when their team wins, while not crediting them.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
Mates.

I haven't played a competitive shooter in at least 5 years; and have never touched a battle royale. I do wanna give Apex a shot, though (and my FPS chops in general are decent). So...

1. what character/gun/whatever should I go with to suck the least?
  2. what's the objective?
  3. are there any extraneous mechanics I need to know in addition to, ya know, killing?
Also, I won't be mic-ing up under any circumstances; talking during gaming is just not my jam at all.

Thanks!

1. Try the medic, if that's taken, pathfinder
2. Stay alive and find better weapons and gear as a large barrier begins to shrink the map down
3. Sliding seems important, and you can mark things on the map with no mic for each other very easily

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
Mates.

I haven't played a competitive shooter in at least 5 years; and have never touched a battle royale. I do wanna give Apex a shot, though (and my FPS chops in general are decent). So...

2. what's the objective?
  3. are there any extraneous mechanics I need to know in addition to, ya know, killing?
Also, I won't be mic-ing up under any circumstances; talking during gaming is just not my jam at all.

Thanks!
Do you have any idea of the basic idea of battle royale games? If not you might want to watch a youtube video or watch some twitch of the game first.
Pick any character at the start. You don't start with a gun, you get them out in the battlefield. Yes there are mechanics of BR games you should know before entering. How the circle works, how teams work (mic not needed so you are fine there), etc.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there anyone good with the wingman on console and if so, what is your strategy when using it? I want to get good with the weapon but it seems to never connect with hits when people are right in front of me.

I use the Wingman a fair amount on console. I think the trick for me is the timing behind each shot, and naturally the precision of aim. Don't rapid fire it because the recoil or kickback makes managing the direction of your reticule and aim much harder and less accurate, but then you don't want to fire too slow as you're losing out on precious dps. The trick is finding the correct constant firing rate, roughly 2.5 shots a second off the top of my head.

Also, unless you're accurate with headshots, it may not be an ideal weapon to use. The hop up only increases headshot damage, so to maximise dps and kill times you really need to have headshots and constant strafing on point.

For more flexible medium to long range success if your headshots aren't dead on, I'd recommend the Hemlock. Use burst fire at medium range distances, and just aim for the chest because the burst recoil will automatically take a bullet or so to the head. Then for long range engagements, simply switch it to single fire and use a good scope zoom. You can fire it faster than the Wingman without as much kickback or recoil in single fire.

It's a similar thing with the R-301 too, since it can also be switched from full auto to single fire. The R-301 isn't quite as effective at longer range, but closer to medium range it is deveststing, especially coupled with a magazine extender and barrel stabiliser, where it essentially becomes a rapid firing laser beam.

If you prefer long range engagements, I'd try out the Longbow or G7 Scout too.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, just lost a 10 kill game because my teammate got glitched into an area he couldn't get out of from a redeploy balloon (and his duo partner went AFK to "do something important" in the final squad v squad). He couldn't even get out with Pathfinder's grapple.
I almost 1v3'd the final squad, but couldn't quite do it, so it would have been a for sure win if that didn't happen to him and his friend didn't leave. That's like impossibly unlucky.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I need to clarify. The mtx loot boxes are the worst system Ive ever seen in a game. Not the actual loot you get from dropping in game to get geared up. The frequency for which you get packs is absurd and the loot is mostly filler garbage with no real way to get skins you want. I would gladly be spending money in this game if they made it reasonable to get skins I want. As of now I'm not spending a dime on this syetm until they fix it. Its gross.
Oh yeah, it's bad and needs improvements.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does "top 3 finish" stat just count when you get 2nd or 3rd? Or does it count all ur wins with that character as well?

Im assuming it counts all, but i could have sworn when I won one once, i looked at that stat and that stat didnt increase

Tango-Pirate

Oct 29, 2017
UK
...Like I said, I would gladly spend real money on this stuff if there was actually a path to get what I wanted. Right now there isn't, which is an intentional design decision on their end to get us to spend money...

There is a path to get what you want. It might not be the kind of path you want but it's there. Also the fact there are no duplicates in these loot boxes makes them better than most too.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing all the talk about a potential Wingman nerf makes me hope they'll separate console and PC balancing. I don't think there's a universe where that thing is balanced on PC and consoles with the same stats. It might need some adjustments on console as well, but the PC crowd makes it sound like it needs its damage halved or something. Very different on consoles where you can't snap headshots like it's nothing.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hearing all the talk about a potential Wingman nerf makes me hope they'll separate console and PC balancing. I don't think there's a universe where that thing is balanced on PC and consoles with the same stats. It might need some adjustments on console as well, but the PC crowd makes it sound like it needs its damage halved or something. Very different on consoles where you can't snap headshots like it's nothing.

Am I the only one who feels like wingman and other guns are fine? They just need to improve the more garbage guns imo

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Had a decent day with the game today. A few top 3 finishes and finally my first time getting a win! Even got to be kill leader for a bit in a match. Learning the ins and outs of this game as a person who sucks at shooters and has never played BR before is really interesting. Kinda understand why people get addicted to these games now.

One thing I wish People would stop doing is quitting while their respawn banner was still available :( Winning the final encounter is damn hard with only two people. That said random people tend to be pretty cool on average.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is a path to get what you want. It might not be the kind of path you want but it's there. Also the fact there are no duplicates in these loot boxes makes them better than most too.
You stop getting loot boxes every level once you hit 50 so no duplicates isn't this incredible feature we should be grateful for. The grind to get an apex loot pack is insande. And then when you do get it, it contains TONs of useless items like character boarders, and shitty skins for weapons you will never use (I got a legendary mozombique, yay). How is there a way to get a specific legendary skin? RIght now you need materials to get it. The only way to get crafting materials is to get apex packs. Crafting materials rarely are in my packs and when they are I get a measely 15 of them. I'm level 70 and have 345 crafting materials for a 1200 legendary skin grind. That is not a legitimate path to getting what I want, thats incredibly stingy design which is intentionally attempting to get me to buy packs.Which I would, if packs werent complete shit. But they are.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Had a decent day with the game today. A few top 3 finishes and finally my first time getting a win! Even got to be kill leader for a bit in a match. Learning the ins and outs of this game as a person who sucks at shooters and has never played BR before is really interesting. Kinda understand why people get addicted to these games now.

One thing I wish People would stop doing is quitting while their respawn banner was still available :( Winning the final encounter is damn hard with only two people. That said random people tend to be pretty cool on average.

Lul, did we just play together and get a win as a duo cause someone left?

I just had the same scenario happen with a good pathfinder

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Why should I have to sit there when 9/10 times the guy is gonna lose anyway. I'd rather just get into another game.

Because that person can clutch it out. U literally only gotta wait like a minute and a half before ur shit expires. You are basically shitting on your squadmates chances by doing that. Its pretty selfish

Smh.

The respawn factor is a huge wrinkle added to BR that can really pay off sometimes and its worth seeing if it pays off.

Ive clutched a bunch of times but the teammates already left

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Lul, did we just play together and get a win as a duo cause someone left?

I just had the same scenario happen with a good pathfinder
Nah deffo wasn't me lol. I've only been using Bloodhound (and Lifeline when someone else gets him, swear that happened like 6 times.)

Can't wait till I'm comfy enough to try out different Legends, thinking I'll try the shield guy.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Mates.

2. what's the objective?

Thanks!

Stay with your squad and use the ping system, its pretty usefull. Go Bangalore. After a few matches you will understand whats going on. Basically stay inside the ring.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one who feels like wingman and other guns are fine? They just need to improve the more garbage guns imo
Yeah, I'm there with you. The Wingman is pretty nuts in a pro player's hands, but for 99.9% of people, it's not some superweapon. And even in a pro's hands, it's not particularly better than a R-301/R-99 lasering someone or a Spitfire's endless barrage or a Peacekeeper at Peacekeeper ranges or anything else. That being said, with the way that it works, they could nerf 5 damage of its 45 base and it really wouldn't be much of a big deal at all.

I do wonder how they could improve the garbage guns, though. I think it'd be interesting to see some new strong as hell hop ups for them.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
Nah deffo wasn't me lol. I've only been using Bloodhound (and Lifeline when someone else gets him, swear that happened like 6 times.)

Can't wait till I'm comfy enough to try out different Legends, thinking I'll try the shield guy.
I'm also playing only with Bloodhound, tried two rounds with Lifeline and Gibraltar didn't liked it.

Oct 25, 2017
Had a match where the jumpmaster made the attempt on the dropship...myself and the other teammate immediately got ganked and tried to bounce off the ship, but the jumpmaster was long gone and made no attempts to even come back for the revive as we dragged our carcasses off the ship and onto the ground. I decided to spectate the entire match with the jumpmaster and watched him proceed to get 22 solo kills with nothing but a wingman and win the entire match all by himself. I'm pretty sure he had some kind of cheats enabled, because he had dudes heads lined up behind rocks and cliffs and would just wait for them to walk out from cover and they'd be dead within a second.

When he won and realized I had been spectating him the entire time, he was angry that I "stole" the win without doing anything and started swearing at me on mic. Is there any way to report cheaters in the system currently?

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You stop getting loot boxes every level once you hit 50 so no duplicates isn't this incredible feature we should be grateful for. The grind to get an apex loot pack is insande. And then when you do get it, it contains TONs of useless items like character boarders, and shitty skins for weapons you will never use (I got a legendary mozombique, yay). How is there a way to get a specific legendary skin? RIght now you need materials to get it. The only way to get crafting materials is to get apex packs. Crafting materials rarely are in my packs and when they are I get a measely 15 of them. I'm level 70 and have 345 crafting materials for a 1200 legendary skin grind. That is not a legitimate path to getting what I want, thats incredibly stingy design which is intentionally attempting to get me to buy packs.Which I would, if packs werent complete shit. But they are.
Its just cosmetics and this system is how they can justify releasing this game for free.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
If characters truly have separate hit boxes I feel like I'm at a disadvantage by default. Why should I play those characters? I can understand a game like Overwatch where this is fine but in a game like this it doesn't make sense to me.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Nah its not that, it was saying that solo and duo is coming soon, its probably in this thread somewhere so good luck to that who is interested enough to find it.
Probably better not to make statements that you can't back up, huh? That's how people get mad at Respawn when they don't drop solo/duo after "they said they would."

Oct 25, 2017
Yea if that kept happening. Thats suspect

It wasn't like other high-level play I've seen, where it's a lot of skill and reacting to things around you quickly. This guy was basically the Terminator walking across the map gunning down anyone who encountered him within seconds. I don't even remember him taking damage because people would die so fast.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because that person can clutch it out. U literally only gotta wait like a minute and a half before ur shit expires. You are basically shitting on your squadmates chances by doing that. Its pretty selfish

Smh.

The respawn factor is a huge wrinkle added to BR that can really pay off sometimes and its worth seeing if it pays off.

Ive clutched a bunch of times but the teammates already left
But the large majority of the players are unable to clutch and if I die with no good loot I would rather just get into a new game as soon as possible.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely loving this game. But I have to ask...

How the hell is that bug of slow movement after reviving still in?? It is widespread enough for them to notice it right?

It ruined a match that was going so well. Such a shame.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't want to complain much, especially because this thread is full of folks with 10plus kills every game
BUT
as a low kill dude that just wants to play 1hour here and there, it is pretty rough to go against squads where folks have 837 kills.
I understand that a range of skills is part of the BR thing, but holy hell, every other online shooter has ranked for a reason.

These 10plus kill streaks are build on the back of old dads and small kids!

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I love this goddamn game but these crashes are getting to bit a bit much. EA forums are full of people reporting the same message with no fixes. Sometimes it crashes within a minute of me loading into the map. Other times it will crash 20 minutes into a match when there are only 3 squads left.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Man, I can't buy a win in this game. Thought I finally had one in my sights but my remaining team mate and I got rushed by another duo. Swear I put enough bullets into one with the Spitfire to down him but nope. On the plus side I was kill leader for the first time.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Don't want to complain much, especially because this thread is full of folks with 10plus kills every game
BUT
as a low kill dude that just wants to play 1hour here and there, it is pretty rough to go against squads where folks have 837 kills.
I understand that a range of skills is part of the BR thing, but holy hell, every other online shooter has ranked for a reason.

These 10plus kill streaks are build on the back of old dads and small kids!
I think we'll see ranked. I don't think any BR out there has skill based matchmaking.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
It DOES matter if you quit or not because you have to play in squads of three. Quitting is actively making someone else's experience less fun. Honestly, you're also hurting your OWN experience. Coming back from the brink of death is one of the best parts of this game.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll see ranked. I don't think any BR out there has skill based matchmaking.
Fortnite has Pop-Up Cups, but that's about it. It doesn't have a global MMR, it just matches you up with other players near the same point total in the tournament. And those are tournaments specifically meant for the tryhardest of tryhards, people that find normal matchmaking too easy, not too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.