• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
I feel like I'm shooting airsoft guns at people.

The incredibly high TTK and the very exaggerated bullet travel time is absolutely killing my enjoyment of this game. Mix in the poor netcode and insane muzzleflash, and I'm already about to stop playing.

Half the guns feel completely useless unless you're fighting someone with the same weapon and zero shield. Outside of that, anything using light ammo is straight bad.

*brrrrrt. Reload. *brrrrrt. Reload. *brrrrt. Reload. Oh look, the guy I'm shooting at has had so much time to survive that he ran around the corner to heal and now his buddies are here.

Shooting people at ANY range is frustrating because of the crazy bullet travel time. I'm 15 yards away and I have to lead my target by that much? The high TTK plus that lead time has given way to a lot of people quickly dashing back and forth, left and right while shooting. And it works!

Every fight devolves into "who has more people shooting" and the people that have the better gear. Every time.

Long range engagements are frustrating. The bullet travel time and drop make sense at these ranges, but when you add the high TTK, people just hide and heal with the 8 thousand healing items they have and they're good to go. I stopped picking up sniper rifles and I've actually won more games because of it.
This is just my opinion, but I can't help but be frustrated when my skill takes a backseat to gear. I hate losing because the rando I'm forced to play with got 20 damage total before dying. That has happened a LOT.

At the end of the day, I don't feel empowered by weapons at all. Shields feel like the most powerful thing in the game. Not bullets.

I feel like it's going to take me a while to truly know if I agree with any of your opinions, but I do feel like i've gotten to the point where snipers suck to me. I fucking love sniping in games. It's all I do in Battlefield, PUBG, and Blackout, but yeah in this I don't know. Not a fan.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Anyone else noticing that games are becoming more sniper battley than before? At first I found Apex's close quarters focus refreshing, but now it feels like it's devolving into the same old, same old.

Still waiting for the competitive shooter that has the courage to just not have sniper rifles.

I haven't seen too many Sniper battles but I know personally the legit Sniper rifles are particularly hard to use. I don't even think I've died once from a Sniper and I'm like 60 games in or so.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen too many Sniper battles but I know personally the legit Sniper rifles are particularly hard to use. I don't even think I've died once from a Sniper and I'm like 60 games in or so.
Like every game now, final 3 is just long range potshot nonsense. I'm not talking specificly sniper rifles, but rather the long range play style in general. Fucking hate it.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
The only sniper I've gotten a kill with is the legendary one. It felt amazing to do though.

It seems like most final battles start long range but quickly become close range.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Saved by the ring! Came down to me and one guy who just downed my only squadmate. I was really low in health and apparently he was too because both of us got swallowed by the red ring and he died instantly and I was about 10 seconds away from dying lol.

Squad mate had 6 kills and I had 5! Game. Is addicting

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So I finally got around to play this game and I have to say I like it so far. Looks and plays very nice on my pc.

Are there any guns I should prioritise? In fortnite the shotguns where the way to go for me but I'm not sold on them in apex so far. Any op weapons here?

How about the characters? I like that bloodhound dude and the girl with healing abilities so far...

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
So I finally got around to play this game and I have to say I like it so far. Looks and plays very nice on my pc.

Are there any guns I should prioritise? In fortnite the shotguns where the way to go for me but I'm not sold on them in apex so far. Any op weapons here?

How about the characters? I like that bloodhound dude and the girl with healing abilities so far...

The Spitfire LMG is the best gun. Relatively rare though and the next best thing is the R-99 or the R-301 with extended magazines.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
All in favor of replacing all instances of the word 'toxic' with the word 'caustic' say aye

aye

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019

Don't sleep on the Wingman and Peacekeeper with their mods. Also any gun that start with an R is worth it
Spitfire is a great stable LMG and the Devotion isn't worth it unless you have the turbocharger mod
I love the Flatline but can't recommend it because my mates always complains about it
One last thing, anything gold is WORTH IT. Have fun!

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
did this happen after a revive? theres a revive bug where sometimes people will move at the speed of moving while downed. only way to fix it is for that person to completely die and respawn them. its stupid i know.
Yeah straight after a revive, Tense battle then revived him but he couldn't move at all. Didn't have a clue what to do, Pretty much cost us a win. Circle was too small to even mess about to try and fix it, Least we know now though what it was, Cheers bud.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
My own personal opinion on the weapons (favorite to least fav)

Wingman - feels the best, headshot damage is insane
Peacekeeper - great damage even mid-range, choke is a great but not necessary
G7 Scout - decent at all ranges, I'd usually take the wingman but this gun is great
Triple Take - best feeling traditional sniper
EVA-08 - second take for the shotgun, I sometimes prefer it to the peacekeeper
Hemlock - Single shot is extremely accurate
Longbow - not my first pick but still feels great to use
R-99
Prowler - must have full auto
R-301
Alternator - too much kick for me, needs barrel and mags
RE-45
Flatline
Mozambique - I would like this gun if it didn't suck
Melee
Dying
Suicide
P2020

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm shooting airsoft guns at people.

The incredibly high TTK and the very exaggerated bullet travel time is absolutely killing my enjoyment of this game. Mix in the poor netcode and insane muzzleflash, and I'm already about to stop playing.

Half the guns feel completely useless unless you're fighting someone with the same weapon and zero shield. Outside of that, anything using light ammo is straight bad.

*brrrrrt. Reload. *brrrrrt. Reload. *brrrrt. Reload. Oh look, the guy I'm shooting at has had so much time to survive that he ran around the corner to heal and now his buddies are here.

Shooting people at ANY range is frustrating because of the crazy bullet travel time. I'm 15 yards away and I have to lead my target by that much? The high TTK plus that lead time has given way to a lot of people quickly dashing back and forth, left and right while shooting. And it works!

Every fight devolves into "who has more people shooting" and the people that have the better gear. Every time.

Long range engagements are frustrating. The bullet travel time and drop make sense at these ranges, but when you add the high TTK, people just hide and heal with the 8 thousand healing items they have and they're good to go. I stopped picking up sniper rifles and I've actually won more games because of it.
This is just my opinion, but I can't help but be frustrated when my skill takes a backseat to gear. I hate losing because the rando I'm forced to play with got 20 damage total before dying. That has happened a LOT.

At the end of the day, I don't feel empowered by weapons at all. Shields feel like the most powerful thing in the game. Not bullets.

this is what people always say about non-cod multiplayer shooters

The high TTK plus that lead time has given way to a lot of people quickly dashing back and forth, left and right while shooting. And it works!

uhhh, you mean strafing?

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like it's going to take me a while to truly know if I agree with any of your opinions, but I do feel like i've gotten to the point where snipers suck to me. I fucking love sniping in games. It's all I do in Battlefield, PUBG, and Blackout, but yeah in this I don't know. Not a fan.

Someone hasn't used the triple or a maxed out long bow. I've downed someone within a couple shots with them. Once downed use your arc stars or other throwing items to finish them off if they go behind cover.

And to the other comments... I've seen two posts on this page conflicting each other. One saying snipers are ruining the game and another saying they do no damage and are not viable.. it's all in the match and it depends on the skill of players. I have more close quarters action in some matches and areas and snipers in others. Both are viable and both work. As the game ages the skill level and strategy is going to go up. What worked week one isn't going to work week 8. And before you ask for shield changes i'd take a look at blackout and the extreme route they went with TTK on a recent update. It's not going to fit into this game style at all. If you want short TTK you should check that out until they up it again.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
On console especially, strafing is so important in gunfights

2nd guy strafes, takes a while to kill

3rd guy doesn't, dies almost instantly

When people talk about the weapons in this game they always focus on the DPS, but the ads movement speed is critical and often underlooked. Weapons llike the spitfire and Devotion force slow ADS movement speed limitations and leave you vulnerable for easy headshots. A wingman will always have a faster time to kill then an LMG with headshots, so it's vital that you make those headshots hard to achieve.

If you're using light machine guns, and snipers, then you should be looking for angles that minimise your exposed hurtbox. Rooftops, corners to peek, and similar. Those weapons don't work well out in the open because of how much they restrict your mobility.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do wish the training mode had all the attachments as well. I feel bad stopping while playing with randoms to read over everything so I have no idea what is what most of the time.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
No. They're wiggling back and forth and it fucks with the travel time of the rounds. I'm spraying right on people and if they do this, a LOT of my rounds don't hit because the bullets are so slow you can't correct your fire. Happens at certain ranges.

You can still anticipate the movements just like in any other shooter. In Halo a BR burst requires players to predict the strafing patterns, and it's the same here. Strafing is part of the game and by anticipating the opponents movements correctly, you'll land your shots.

It works no differently at longer ranges, just lead your shots as appropriate.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
this is strafing, which is a very basic strat in shooters

source.gif

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
You can still anticipate the movements just like in any other shooter. In Halo a BR burst requires players to predict the strafing patterns, and it's the same here. Strafing is part of the game and by anticipating the opponents movements correctly, you'll land your shots.

It works no differently at longer ranges, just lead your shots as appropriate.

This doesn't apply, AT ALL to Halo or the BR. Those are hit-scan weapons. I have ZERO issue doming people in Halo. In fact, I was stupidly good at SWAT.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
this is strafing, which is a very basic strat in shooters
It's not just strafing. I know what strafing is. I've been playing shooters for 25 years. There have been several times where they wiggle like a foot back and forth. A VERY small distance. Even anticipating this and shooting where I know where they will be, it feels like half my bullets aren't hitting them at all. I will record it next time since people don't apparently believe me.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This doesn't apply, AT ALL to Halo or the BR. Those are hit-scan weapons. I have ZERO issue doming people in Halo. In fact, I was stupidly good at SWAT.

A burst hitscan still results in the successive shots in a burst, having a delay. Which means, you need to anticipate your opponents movement to hit the target.

Also, I haven't played Halo often since Halo 3. Halo 3 weapons are not hitscan, and there's much more depth to the gunplay in Halo 3 as a result.

It's not just strafing. I know what strafing is. I've been playing shooters for 25 years. There have been several times where they wiggle like a foot back and forth. A VERY small distance. Even anticipating this and shooting where I know where they will be, it feels like half my bullets aren't hitting them at all. I will record it next time since people don't apparently believe me.

What's the point in recording? I think we all believe you that you're missing your shots.

If you shoot where the target is going to be, you'll land the shots. Is this harder because of projectiles? Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that this is happening because of the players failure to anticipate the opponents movement. Strafing doesn't change how the projectiles work.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It could just be another glitch, or lag. I had people here telling me shooting while knocked down is a feature. People don't know what's really going on in your matches but you. I am interested in seeing a clip, tho.

Oct 25, 2017
TIL that this game has no aim assist on consoles no wonder my aim is trash.
Are you sure? either i'm subliminally doing it but iam sure my ret gets dragged by people running past
A burst hitscan still results in the successive shots in a burst, having a delay. Which means, you need to anticipate your opponents movement to hit the target.

Also, I haven't played Halo often since Halo 3. Halo 3 weapons are not hitscan, and there's much more depth to the gunplay in Halo 3 as a result.
What? No fucking way halo 3 br, ar, shotgun, and pistols are not hitscan. I thought only covenant and rockets were proj

dissa9

Oct 27, 2017
Because I don't have the patience to deal with a lot of the shitty teammates.

If I die in a battle and you loot me, I quit.
If I die in a battle and you loot every single box before you spawn me and the beacon is near by, I quit.
Yesterday I had no health and requested health. I watched my teammate pick up a medkit and run off. I requested again and he didn't drop so I quit

Tbh, numerous instances like the third one will cause me to quit.

I honestly don't care if it's a nice thing to do. It's a video game and I'll quit if I want to.

For one minute did you stop to consider that your unfortunate teammates are looting your items to survive long enough to get your sorry, self entitled beacon back to the respawn point?

Hope I'm never teamed up with you.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Are you sure? either i'm subliminally doing it but iam sure my ret gets dragged by people running past

What? No fucking way halo 3 br, ar, shotgun, and pistols are not hitscan. I thought only covenant and rockets were proj

If I remember correctly it's all hitscan in Halo 3.

Edit: I meant to say projectiles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.