• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soviet Bear

May 25, 2018
Got 37 Squad kills last night with some friends. Current record right now is 41?

CHXsg2K.png

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh my lord, did the mother of all clutches. Final ring, entire enemy squad left, and I'm the only one left, all my squad mates long dead and no respawn options. They used everything on me. Air strikes (two of them, Bangalore and Shield Guys), smokes, you name it. But I moved around just effectively enough, and had just enough Phoenix kits etc that I was able to survive each onslaught and flank and pick them off one by one. If anything their smoke grenades helped me as each time they used one I used it to reposition right beside each enemy, then dashed back around to the other side. They must have been confused as fuck lol.

3 wins already so far in today's games. Feels good.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I have to disagree, when using voice you don't pin point the location, the granular details, the levels, the weapon names, literally you don't identify as fast or communicate as effectively with specificity like this ping system does.

I do agree voice is invaluable for a range of communications but it's not a one trumps the other so broadly, they each have their advantages and disadvantages. For example 3 people talking at the same time, relative left and right etc. The ping system inherently removes many issues while maximising instant and clear data for you to decide what to do with.

Very damn effective and fucking brilliant game development and design. Repeatable, predictable, intelligent and at the push of a button or while I'm talking/listening. I wish for as much from the myriad of matchmade voice chatting players.

The ping system works amazingly well when you're calling out an enemy who is mid range to far distances away. Pinging an enemy on a hill is incredibly awesome. In this regard, it beats voice comms.

Where the ping system doesn't win is when you've got a team fight happening in a hut that has 3 levels and people are jumping from floor to floor trying out flank each other. In that situation, voice comms win ie: "I hear him below me....he jumped out the window and is running to the right side of the building...."

The other one is is when you flat out get jumped out of nowhere. The game's own voice comm usually jumps in here in that situation but never hurts to hear voice comms reiterating it.

Again, the ping system is fantastic but it should be complimentary to actual voice comms.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Respawn needs to up it's store game. These skins are lame, too pricey, and they don't switch it up enough. 5 days is way too long. I do like that once something comes up and goes from the store, you can still buy it through the legends/armory menu.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how the new NVIDIA drivers play with this? I had previously rolled back, but I need to update for Anthem.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
The (yes optional) micro-transactions prices are so ridiculous. 10 USD+ for an avatar?
Legendary skins are $20 in Fortnite and I paid for a few of those. I don't mind it as long as the skin is high quality. What they need to do is update the store more. More skins and maybe lower the prices for weapon skins. Being the same price as character skins is a bit much.

I much rather buy from the store than get Apex packs. I just don't like the rng aspect of that.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just got The Player silver trophy for hitting level 50, 0.3% of Apex players have it. The grind is real but the game is legit.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
One of my teammates left right after the drop and the other had to go mid-game. Still made it to top 3. I came up on a squad, downed two but pushed in to close with low health and couldn't finish the 3rd. He was level 2 and I almost killed him through his purple shield lol. We were fighting on top of the giant skeleton by skulltown. I've been playing pathfinder, fun as hell but I need to remember to use my grapple on people too. Does it stop people from shooting while they are pulled in or can they still aim and fire?

Jan 10, 2018
Is there any good video out that shows the damage and characteristics of each weapon? Like a video where they shoot another player that is standing still and and then they talk the viewer through everything.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how the new NVIDIA drivers play with this? I had previously rolled back, but I need to update for Anthem.

Before the latest update I was on drivers from December. The game was running perfectly.

Post-update I had some frame rate stutters and brief 1-2 second lock ups in fire fights.

Tried new drivers and had two full game crashes since and it only partially fixed the above issues.

On a 2080, and RTX cards are apparently dodgy here.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting better...at surviving at least, lol. Last night my squad and I got into the top 3 multiple times, and even got down to just 1 person from my squad and 1 person from another squad duking it out for the win a few times. Unfortunately we lost in each of those situations but man our blood was pumping.

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
Story time for my first (basically) solo win!

First teammate quit after the initial drop. Second quit after first down. Got myself a Longbow with a gold stabilizer and stuck to the outskirts. Got a handful of downs and kills but kept myself on the border of the ring and bounced if I was ever spotted (really easy when you main Pathfinder). Two teams left: me and a full squad. I had gotten into the ring with plenty of time to spare. Zipplined to the top of one of the military outposts that overhang the mid river. Perched at the top and just waited for my prey.

Blood pumping. Heart pounding. Targets spotted across the river — clueless of where I was. I had one frag. They clumped together behind a rock and I toss my grenade. 1 shield drops. !!Panic!! They're still clueless of where that came from but are now running to new cover. Still in my line of sight. Shot after shot, shields drop and enemies go down. Last man standing goes to rez his teammate, but didn't last long. Not a single shit fired in my direction.

YOU ARE THE CHAMPION

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Story time for my first (basically) solo win!

First teammate quit after the initial drop. Second quit after first down. Got myself a Longbow with a gold stabilizer and stuck to the outskirts. Got a handful of downs and kills but kept myself on the border of the ring and bounced if I was ever spotted (really easy when you main Pathfinder). Two teams left: me and a full squad. I had gotten into the ring with plenty of time to spare. Zipplined to the top of one of the military outposts that overhang the mid river. Perched at the top and just waited for my prey.

Blood pumping. Heart pounding. Targets spotted across the river — clueless of where I was. I had one frag. They clumped together behind a rock and I toss my grenade. 1 shield drops. !!Panic!! They're still clueless of where that came from but are now running to new cover. Still in my line of sight. Shot after shot, shields drop and enemies go down. Last man standing goes to rez his teammate, but didn't last long. Not a single shit fired in my direction.

YOU ARE THE CHAMPION
Foo king sweet man! Love this! Man I can just feel the adrenaline pumping right there!!! Yaaaaaaaaaooooooooowwwwww!!!

The longbow is great for sneaky shots because it doesn't leave a heavy amount of bullet traces like the triple take. I killed a Pathfinder just yesterday and he looked so crazy because he was panicking and couldn't tell where the shots were coming from.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
From what I've heard - there's indications that there'll be a ranked mode and Shroud apparently told Respawn to make it skill based over time played based.

Also bear in mind that pro-players aren't typically good game designers.

Something Shroud said to respawn likely holds no or little more weight than what other people said. They would have brought players like Shroud in to play the game because they need the game to be popular with influencers, and including them in that process also contributes to that.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Yesterday was a pain in the ass...every team mate of every match either launch solo, or if they are the jumpmaster they dont launch at all, they get dc'ed as soon as we launch, etc

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any good video out that shows the damage and characteristics of each weapon? Like a video where they shoot another player that is standing still and and then they talk the viewer through everything.

I haven't seen anything like that, but you can go back to the tutorial and hang out there at the gun range, it has every weapon available so you can see damage, recoil, etc. Doesn't have attachments though.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

Something Shroud said to respawn likely holds no or little more weight than what other people said. They would have brought players like Shroud in to play the game because they need the game to be popular with influencers, and including them in that process also contributes to that.

Supposedly he's testing new Legends for them too.

But regardless, your point is true but a ranked mode is a good idea, I feel. At least some sort of skill based matchmaking to close skill gaps.

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
Foo king sweet man! Love this! Man I can just feel the adrenaline pumping right there!!! Yaaaaaaaaaooooooooowwwwww!!!

The longbow is great for sneaky shots because it doesn't leave a heavy amount of bullet traces like the triple take. I killed a Pathfinder just yesterday and he looked so crazy because he was panicking and couldn't tell where the shots were coming from.

Thanks :) I'll probably post the clip later. Had to run to work!

And yeah, the longbow is definitely my go-to for long-range shots. Wingman and a Longbow is all I need.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they don't add a ranked mode. A ranked mode guarantees that your community becomes more toxic and the game becomes no more or less competitive that it was before. It probably increases engagement or whatever but the cost to community well-being is too high. It burns people out because it's not about having fun anymore.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Supposedly he's testing new Legends for them too.

But regardless, your point is true but a ranked mode is a good idea, I feel. At least some sort of skill based matchmaking to close skill gaps.

I don't know about respawn, but most game devs also tend to playtest with thousands of regular players.

Before a Battlefield or Call of Duty game comes out, hundreds if not thousands of players will have visited the publishers user research labs to playtest the game.

All these players tend to be NDAed, the fact that players like Shroud seemingly are not, strongly indicates that they bring these players in as influencers, more so than experts in game design. They want players like Shroud to get people excited about upcoming content, and feel included in the games development process.

I agree that a ranked mode seems like a good idea. I think the best fit for most games tends to be connection based matchmaking for regular matchmaking, then skill based matchmaking with a ranked mode. Another alternative is also to allow a sandbox mode and private games, so that players can organise their own competitive formats, privately.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Is the Jumpmaster badge not working for anyone else? I've won quite a few matches as Jumpmaster now but it's still not given me it.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about respawn, but most game devs also tend to playtest with thousands of regular players.

Before a Battlefield or Call of Duty game comes out, hundreds if not thousands of players will have visited the publishers user research labs to playtest the game.

All these players tend to be NDAed, the fact that players like Shroud seemingly are not, strongly indicates that they bring these players in as influencers, more so than experts in game design. They want players like Shroud to get people excited about upcoming content, and feel included in the games development process.

I agree that a ranked mode seems like a good idea. I think the best fit for most games tends to be connection based matchmaking for regular matchmaking, then skill based matchmaking with a ranked mode. Another alternative is also to allow a sandbox mode and private games, so that players can organise their own competitive formats, privately.

I know 343i has brought in pro Halo players and hired them on the development team to test Halo 5 before. I think it just depends.

They had streamers playing the game for months before it released and they were under NDA then - Dr. Disrespect was one of them. They probably use them more for guaging then developing though, like you said.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is the Jumpmaster badge not working for anyone else? I've won quite a few matches as Jumpmaster now but it's still not given me it.

You should have it, for sure.

My friend was saying that the badge was stupid anyway, as it even registers you as the jumpmaster when you give up the role.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got to play with 2 buddies last night. Won my second ever game and had a blast overall, even though we got eliminated early a few times too. I can confidently say now that I'll probably end up putting some real hours into this.

Oct 30, 2017
Had my first experience with awful randoms last night. Luckily it was just one match. But, it's been a long time since I've heard someone scream c**n and n-word because they didn't get first hero pick.

Then I teamed up with a guy with a constant hot mic. But, he was super chill and polite until his connection dropped.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Hopefully they don't add a ranked mode. A ranked mode guarantees that your community becomes more toxic and the game becomes no more or less competitive that it was before. It probably increases engagement or whatever but the cost to community well-being is too high. It burns people out because it's not about having fun anymore.
Yeap i really hope we never get it

Vexingsruzz

Oct 29, 2017
This is the first BR game I have enjoyed and I have to give kudos for Respawn for making the best F2P game I have experienced. My favorite victory was a duo win. I was Caustic, my friend was Lifeline and our third random dropped on their own and got themselves killed early on. We run around, grabbing guns supplies etc and not encountering other teams. Eventually it's late game, only a few squads left and the ring is closing around the bunker. My friend and I stand guard around an entrance to a large vertical staircase and I have enough time to set up 6 gas traps around the entrance. The ring closes and forces us to go down the stairs and I realize my gas traps have gone off. I chuck my ult at the base of the staircase and the enemy squad is trapped between pushing through the gas and being stuck outside the barrier. We gun them down as they emerge, take their stuff and engage in a tense firefight with the remaining squad and emerge victorious. It just felt amazing.

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first BR game I have enjoyed and I have to give kudos for Respawn for making the best F2P game I have experienced. My favorite victory was a duo win. I was Caustic, my friend was Lifeline and our third random dropped on their own and got themselves killed early on. We run around, grabbing guns supplies etc and not encountering other teams. Eventually it's late game, only a few squads left and the ring is closing around the bunker. My friend and I stand guard around an entrance to a large vertical staircase and I have enough time to set up 6 gas traps around the entrance. The ring closes and forces us to go down the stairs and I realize my gas traps have gone off. I chuck my ult at the base of the staircase and the enemy squad is trapped between pushing through the gas and being stuck outside the barrier. We gun them down as they emerge, take their stuff and engage in a tense firefight with the remaining squad and emerge victorious. It just felt amazing.

I love stories like this

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Shroud said that spray patterns were random until he told them to make it predictable.

pro-players may not be good game designers but that doesn't mean Respawn isn't taking their feedback very seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.