• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Hm I don't own it but I've never really heard anyone say to me that it does. Might be loose I guess.

Edit: Oh, it seems like it's a somewhat recent change?

It may be recent. I haven't played PUBG in ages. I won like my first game in PUBG so when people said it was hidden, I just assumed it must be hidden and I didn't notice haha

And I'm not even saying the skill based matchmaking in Apex would have to be very strict just as long as it guides and leads to more games where everyone has a chance.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
It may be recent. I haven't played PUBG in ages. I won like my first game in PUBG so when people said it was hidden, I just assumed it must be hidden and I didn't notice haha

And I'm not even saying the skill based matchmaking in Apex would have to be very strict just as long as it guides and leads to more games where everyone has a chance.
Surely with skill based matchmaking you'd have less of a chance though? Everyone being on the same level means encounters would be more of a struggle and then it'd actually just fall down on luck a bit. Especially with how loot can be in a battle royale. Where as the randomness of no matchmaking means you could feel like a god one game to a noob the next.

Like I dunno I went through the learning experience of Fortnite early last year, where I'd basically not had much competitive shooter experience in general so I was learning both building and shooter skills at the same time and I'm not sure I ever wanted matchmaking to make it feel easier. Probably because I just don't think it would be easier. I think when they added the casual modes it made it a lot easier to practice since there was often bigger teams with less focus on individual skill. Since then they've also added rotating competitive modes that people can play if they want the extra challenge(can't say I'd want to but there you go).

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Surely with skill based matchmaking you'd have less of a chance though? Everyone being on the same level means encounters would be more of a struggle and then it'd actually just fall down on luck a bit. Especially with how loot can be in a battle royale. Where as the randomness of no matchmaking means you could feel like a god one game to a noob the next.

Like I dunno I went through the learning experience of Fortnite early last year, where I'd basically not had much competitive shooter experience in general so I was learning both building and shooter skills at the same time and I'm not sure I ever wanted matchmaking to make it feel easier. Probably because I just don't think it would be easier. I think when they added the casual modes it made it a lot easier to practice since there was often bigger teams with less focus on individual skill. Since then they've also added rotating competitive modes that people can play if they want the extra challenge(can't say I'd want to but there you go).

With skill based matchmaking you may have less of a chance early on, but without it the deeper you get into it, the more skilled players you'll face. As a result, you'll have less of a chance actually winning because you weren't put in a game where skill was taken into account because the most skilled players will make it to the end almost all the time.

In Fortnite the only way I've won is by using the strategy of hiding in plants. I don't even attempt it because no skill based match making means that there are going to be people who just completely destroy with the building mechanics.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
With skill based matchmaking you may have less of a chance early on, but without it the deeper you get into it, the more skilled players you'll face so you'll have less of a chance actually winning because you weren't put in a game where skill was taken into account.

In Fortnite the only way I've won is by using the strategy of hiding in plants. I don't even attempt it because no skill based match making means that there are going to be people who just completely destroy with the building mechanics.
Not always though because sometimes you'll get put in games where the best players got tragically taken out due to getting jumped by two people, get bad loot or something. Or you'll get put in games where somehow everyone else is worse than you.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Not always though because sometimes you'll get put in games where the best players got tragically taken out due to getting jumped by two people. Or you'll get put in games where somehow everyone else is worse than you.

In Apex it's a bit different with the revive mechanic - and I've already predicted how games would go by just seeing the champion squad lol

I'm not calling for a super strict skill based matchmaking system, just one that makes games more fair by creating some level of skill floor and ceiling for when matches are created with players so it's not extremely unfair.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This is how I feel. I think the squad format is perfect, and I don't mind if that means some bad games here and there.

I'm at this opinion as well, even though I came into the game wanting solo. Forcing the team utilizes the strengths of mobas where people are less likely to quit playing because they'll shift the blame onto teammates when they lose. It's stupid reasoning, but it keeps the game's population healthy and more diverse.

Hell you can see it in action in this thread, it's always *their* fault.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
In Apex it's a bit different with the revive mechanic - and I've already predicted how games would go by just seeing the champion squad lol

I'm not calling for a super strict skill based matchmaking system, just one that makes games more fair by creating some level of skill floor and ceiling for when matches are created with players so it's not extremely unfair.
Can't say I've done that. I mean occasionally I'll come across the guy with over 1000 kills and die to them, but just the same I've managed to kill those kinds of champs because we've managed to get the jump on them after a fight or something and it feels so good when you manage to do that.

I dunno if they were to add in mm it'd have to be quite loose because otherwise I feel like it'd just take away some of those great experiences. I'd rather it be in a separate mode if I'm honest.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
does the ping system help a lot for silent solo play?

Big time! 14 out of my 17 wins have been with random players with no mic usage whatsoever. Just like any game you'll get some players that don't provide a good experience regardless, but most of the people I play with are good about using the ping system and sticking together.

Last edited:

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I've done that. I mean occasionally I'll come across the guy with over 1000 kills and die to them, but just the same I've managed to kill those kinds of champs because we've managed to get the jump on them after a fight or something and it feels so good when you manage to do that.

I dunno if they were to add in mm it'd have to be quite loose because otherwise I feel like it'd just take away some of those great experiences. I'd rather it be in a separate mode if I'm honest.

We'll just have to wait to see how they do it. I think they're going to try to appease both types of players, but then there are other concerns such as diluting mode populations.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Tonight I upgraded my GPU, installed the new AMD drivers, updated Apex, and...it's crashing shortly after boot every time now.

I've tried Artifact and Return of the Obra Dinn, and both run perfectly fine. Is there a recommended AMD driver for this game? I installed 19.2.2

Last edited:

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
I just unlocked the skin called The Glorious One for the Hemlock. My Baby is now as pretty from the outside as it is from the inside. Pretty sure I got atleast two thirds of all my kills with the Hemlock.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Circle finished at thunder dome and my squad managed to get into the skybox. GG to any other team.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you're the jump master and you can't wavedrop to the other end of the map...I just might break off from you because I am not trying to land hot every single time.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Made another digital watchface today..

ux7qjs17ilg21.gif

Get it here:
https://www.facer.io/watchface/MxFdSXvvKL

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got any tips for how to do that?

Try to keep your velocity a little above 140. If you start slowing down to around or lower than 130 I do a quick dip down to 140 then level out again. Basically doing the wave with your character. I've been able to make it across the map at those speeds.

Dr Shasta

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Try to keep your velocity a little above 140. If you start slowing down to around or lower than 130 I do a quick dip down to 140 then level out again. Basically doing the wave with your character. I've been able to make it across the map at those speeds.
Dumb question..... where do you see your velocity?

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Team based game and peeps with no mics. Reminds me of Overwatch comp for a few seasons.

No mic'er here. I don't want to talk to you, and I would solo queue if it were an option. However completely understand that Respawn designed this to be a 3 player squad based game. Thankfully the ping system means I can tell you anything I would have said over the mic.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No mic'er here. I don't want to talk to you, and I would solo queue if it were an option. However completely understand that Respawn designed this to be a 3 player squad based game. Thankfully the ping system means I can tell you anything I would have said over the mic.

Not true. Great system, but combined with a mic it's even better.

Why don't you want to talk to people?

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I spoke on mic was the easiest win I ever had.

The pings are legit but it's kinda hard to ping something like (don't give up position to chase that squad getting killed by being out of zone)

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Good. Was just checking if all is well. Been playing Wraith today a lot myself! All her stuff are great. Passive, ability and ultimate.
Honestly though, today was kinda garbage, had a bad streak of bad teammates and loses, just started to get better in the last hour or so. Changing up which legends I use helped, think I was getting fatigued with Bangalore and Lifeline.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

The ping system isn't enough for communication.

Dec 28, 2017
I had some really good games being kill leader till the end and greed of my teams sealed our fate. Always died because of looting.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Its when you fight a team, and then after or during, another team comes at you
So far I haven't saw this here
Honestly though, today was kinda garbage, had a bad streak of bad teammates and loses, just started to get better in the last hour or so. Changing up which legends I use helped, think I was getting fatigued with Bangalore and Lifeline.
I feel you. If I'm playing with randoms I just hope to be 3rd pick so I choose the character that's needed. Everyone is either Wraith or Bangalore smh

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The ping system is great but its not a replacement for a mic. Your pings dont tell your team the enemies shields are popped and to push them. Teams working together in voice chat have a massive advantage.

I dont think the ping system is intended as a replacement for game chat but more as a supplement to callouts.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
How do you guys feel about the 3rd party teaming in this game?

It's good and yes it can get you killed but it makes for some crazy intense battles and can also work out in your favor. You can be pinned down only for that team to get jumped so you can escape. Goes both ways.

I like the hectic action and the ability to respawn makes it less annoying since your team isn't always finished off.

The map design not the size is what helps create this action with the choke points and layout.

Pathfinder is a really fun pick for anyone wanting to mix up their regular picks. Dude can cover ground and close down on a damaged team in no time. He's also pretty funny to listen to. His ult charges really quick and good to change positions in battles. Especially if you worries about multiple teams in battle

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is it bad to quit out of the match if you are left with someone that literally splits from your team while the other two of you are fighting and after you both die just leave that lone person playing alone?

It really pisses me off when you drop and see that one guy decide "hey, I'm gonna go over here and not stick nearby my other two teammates."

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Was just checking if all is well. Been playing Wraith today a lot myself! All her stuff are great. Passive, ability and ultimate.
I have zero clue how to use her ultimate effectively. Artillery strikes, care packages, and ziplines make sense, but Wraith's portal is harder to work with for me.

Is it bad to quit out of the match if you are left with someone that literally splits from your team while the other two of you are fighting and after you both die just leave that lone person playing alone?

It really pisses me off when you drop and see that one guy decide "hey, I'm gonna go over here and not stick nearby my other two teammates."
How far away is away? If he's going to try to get the banner retrieve, I'll stay. If he is literally too far for it to be possible, I'm not going to stick around though.

Status
Not open for further replies.