• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
...your suggestion was to remove abilities and make them work as pickups. The abilities are themed to characters -- so, what, now Bangalore is hearing voices in her head? Gibralter can send out decoys? Wraith can deploy gas even though she doesn't have a gas mask? They'll create all the audiovisual assets to make that work with all the different characters? It just doesn't make sense.

And some abilities like Lifeline's res shield and speed only make sense in a team. If they support multiple modes, they'll be incentivized to make all the characters and abilities viable in all the modes -- if they supported solo out of the gate, Lifeline probably wouldn't exist as she does now. But because the characters are designed around teams, Lifeline can have those abilities. Her skills are the most obvious but a lot of the abilities synergize with teammates -- that's what makes the game special!

You're just dismissing all that and suggesting it's just a feature they can add because other games have it -- what you're not realizing is what those other games decided NOT to include in order to support those features.
Not all abilities need to be in the game: the zipline, smoke grenades, decoy are all possible to add in.

Why does having a gas mask matter? It's a game. No one questions why the same 6 characters are running into their clones or how we did and respawn from a ship. it's a pretty big reach to think someone is going to sit there confused why a lifeline through a smoke canister and lives.

Obviously a medic's revive shield wont exist because there is no revive system in solo. They dont need to balance characters in mind for solo if they can pick and curate what kind of abilities go into solo mode. Picking up Bangalore's smoke cannon makes sense. Picking up an item that lets you hear Wraith's voices doesnt.

Nothing is being dismissed, you're just making it seem like people are going to be mentally conflicted with the game not making thematic sense over someone lacking a gas mask. Lifeline has those abilities because she's a support character for a team. In a solo mode, her abilities are irrelevant outside the D.O.C drone, which would make sense as a pick up. But being irrelevant in solo mode doesnt impede on the squad mode, does it?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Two level 1s, a flank with Mirage's ultimate won the match.

03q5XKy.jpg

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm loving how tactical your Ultimate usage becomes at the end. We managed to force the other remaining squad from a superior position into the open using a perfectly timed airstrike.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Not all abilities need to be in the game: the zipline, smoke grenades, decoy are all possible to add in.

Why does having a gas mask matter? It's a game. No one questions why the same 6 characters are running into their clones or how we did and respawn from a ship.

Obviously a medic's revive shield wont exist because there is no revive system in solo. They dont need to balance characters in mind for solo if they can pick and curate what kind of abilities go into solo mode. Picking up Bangalore's smoke cannon makes sense. Picking up an item that lets you hear Wraith's voices doesnt.
If people like you prefer solo mode, they'll start demanding Respawn balance things for solo instead of team. And apparently you're fine removing abilities from the game. Fuck all that noise. You don't seem to mind compromised game design but I actually like what they've made and would be sad to see them weaken it.

Play the game as intended. There are other games if this one doesn't suit your tastes. Respawn clearly already has something good on their hands -- they should absolutely not take advice from the community if that advice basically amounts to taking out what makes this game special.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
r5apex_2019_02_11_22_8tkkq.png

Knowing where the circle is going to be is extremely useful
I disagree. Especially in this game, circle damage is next to non existent. I actually just posted a clip in my previous post where I was running in and out of it and healing in it with no issue so most of the times even if you get caught in it you escape rather easily. Especially compared to the other BR games.

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
I disagree. Especially in this game, circle damage is next to non existent. I actually just posted a clip in my previous post where I was running in and out of it and healing in it with no issue so most of the times even if you get caught in it you escape rather easily. Especially compared to the other BR games.

Uh it hits harder as the rounds go on....

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If people like you prefer solo mode, they'll start demanding Respawn balance things for solo instead of team. And apparently you're fine removing abilities from the game. Fuck all that noise. You don't seem to mind compromised game design but I actually like what they've made and would be sad to see them weaken it.

Play the game as intended. There are other games if this one doesn't suit your tastes.
All that really needs to be said on the topic. Every other BR game has solo modes. Lets not waste resources changing the fundamental design decision of one of the best BR games out to play like everything else. Characters like lifeline would lose so much utility from a solo mode.

Uh it hits harder as the rounds go on....
Not relative to any other BR game on the market. In blackout you die in 2 seconds in final circles. Final circle in this game gives you so much time to hangout in it. Circle is a total non issue in this game compared to the other BR games.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
There's no way you can heal successfully outside the last circles.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Not always, but sometimes it can definitely be valuable -- especially end-game. Depends on the environment circle is ending on -- we were able to secure a nice building in a circle one round that won us the game. Also great if you have a Caustic so you can set up fun traps around the last couple circles and own the space.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nope, the last rounds drain you in seconds. Still, it's not really difficult to avoid

Placement in circle is of course important still

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

Play the game as intended. There are other games if this one doesn't suit your tastes. Respawn clearly already has something good on their hands -- they should absolutely not take advice from the community if that advice basically amounts to taking out what makes this game special.

Haha what? Your issue is with the characters fitting into solo mode because of gas masks and character traits as if those things cant be mentally overcome in a game where you fight clones and respawn out of a ship after you die.

What balance decisions would I ask out of solo mode outside of the obvious? Do you think Im gonna ask weapons to be nerfed or something? Solo mode would obviously make certain changes-- Lifeline's abilities around reviving wouldnt exist for obvious reasons, and tactical items like smoke launcher makes more sense as a pick up. Suggesting that the game would be confusing because someone lacks a gas mask just seems like it's purposely missing the point.

What is actually being compromised for squads, in a mode that has no affect on squads? I dont get it. The game can still be marketed as a team game primarily, and new characters can still be added with the intent of appealing to the squad mode mechanics. I dont see how your implication of solo hurting design decisions for squads is true at all.

I enjoy the game as intended. I'm also likely to play more squads than solo. But adding solo seems pretty obvious. If it's not at all being considered by Respawn, then Ill respect that. Im operating under the assumption it's something they want to do because it makes them more money and adds more players to the game.

What is being "taken out" of the default team game (that would still exist unchanged), if solo mode is added as a separate mode for fans? I dont understand this stance at all and Im not convinced that solo mode would affect the design of squads.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
nope, the last rounds drain you in seconds. Still, it's not really difficult to avoid

Placement in circle is of course important still
Placement can be helpful. But usually I am just running to gun fights regardless of circles, especially towards the end where there are only a few squads left since jumping on a fight already happening means free kills.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Placement can be helpful. But usually I am just running to gun fights regardless of circles, especially towards the end where there are only a few squads left since jumping on a fight already happening means free kills.
I mean, that works probably most of the time right now but if you are facing a coordinated team that has considered placement....good luck

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people insist on abandoning high ground or key positions to go Rambo engage the enemy on their turf

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Hoping they can sort out the connection problems people are having soon, we were doing well right at the end then one of our guys got disconnected. :'(

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I made this watchface is anyone's interested:
https://www.facer.io/watchface/doByGXpOoC

8 randomly displayed characters on wake, dim mode presents you information on a end of battle banner.

EX: (square and round face watches - Wraith in this example.. will add new characters as they're added to the game)

xvct4gebg3g21.png

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
Not relative to any other BR game on the market. In blackout you die in 2 seconds in final circles. Final circle in this game gives you so much time to hangout in it. Circle is a total non issue in this game compared to the other BR games.

Just as others have said you're talking bullshit. Especially the final final circles are tough to stay alive in. There's no reason to compare here, I'm sure the design is like that for a reason (escalating damage).

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Keep finding myself running out of ammo, especially early on. Little more ammo would be nice with how many bullets it takes to down somebody.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people insist on abandoning high ground or key positions to go Rambo engage the enemy on their turf

We had perfect position last night with 3 teams left. A supply package dropped and my teammates rushed to it immediately. They were dead within 20 seconds, I held on and killed everyone except the last guy on the other team. We would have won if they hadn't bum rushed that damn supply drop lol . We all had good loot too!! They didn't need it.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
We had perfect position last night with 3 teams left. A supply package dropped and my teammates rushed to it immediately. They were dead within 20 seconds, I held on and killed everyone except the last guy on the other team. We would have won if they hadn't bum rushed that damn supply drop lol . We all had good loot too!! They didn't need it.

The mental aspect of the game is fun. I've won rounds where I didn't even get into a firefight at the end. Two of the three teams left decimated each other and the ring finished the last one off.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Played 10 more matches. Still can't hit anyone. Have 1 kill in 14 matches. At least I got a victory.

Dumb question how can u open ur backpack on PS4. Pressing touchpad on either direction opens up the map

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
I kinda hope they dont add a solo personally. I find the squads fun but I solo queue alot. If they add a solo and presumably a duo mode then squads will be a bunch of premade teams making it even harder for me to compete, which would be a bummer since this game is clearly designed to be squad based and the most fun in squads. But at the same time more game mode options is always good and if player count remains high then I'm sure their player base can support multiple modes like fortnite can. Basically I'm torn lol

More importantly I just got home to see my 10yo get 2nd with 11 kills. He is so much better then me :/

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Most people dont play the game to become better at them. Its not a useful skill you will need in life lol. Most people play to have fun and spend time with their friends.

There's a myriad of games that cater to those who put no effort into playing because of "useful life skills lol" or those who actually want to play but have real physical issues. Apex is one of them.

Apex has super powers to make people useful even if they are poor players and respawn beacons to bring them back when they die. Gibraltar can throw down a shield when getting surprised by a sniper. Lifeline can make sure the skilled shooters in the group are healed and properly armored. It's a great thing too.

One of my core squad mates is handicapped. His right arm doesn't function at 100% so playing at high levels is hard for him. It wasn't much of an issue over the years as games always let him respawn back into the action. When BR games first launched he was in a "watching everyone play when he died" cycle but in AL he lasts longer, helps us with powers and when we get jumped he can come back. It's a whole new world.

Dumbing down the core gameplay beats is a strict no no though. That's what almost killed Blackout and it's why you'll never see a weak player win a Fortnite match. BR games must reward skilled players/squads. If not they lose them and the games die.

The types of players you reference "life skills lol" casuals will screw around in popular games for laughs. Games only stay popular when they appeal to the correct demo though. Dumb Apex down and the players who make these types of games popular will move on to the next game and so will follow the goobers who they ruined the game trying to cater to. It's bad business.

I dunno; I thought COD was the most unfriendly BR game ive played, LOL. While its more forgiving than PUBG early in the match it quickly devolves to COD Bro gamestyle nonsense in the end game.

I do have a personal beef against high TTK games though; people say it's about skill but it's at the detriment to the strategy element because you can always 'twitch' your way out of a stupid situation you got yourself in. If I flank you from behind with a gun that takes two head shots to kill its a bit ridiculous for you to just ninja flip a quick scope headshot because yours takes one , lol.

I find it less annoying here because the fights themselves are generally a tug of war and the odds are in the favor in the better prepared, more strategic groups as opposed to someone weaned on twitch shooters.
Great reply man! Blackout is both friendly AND unfriendly to lower skill players because Treyarch unfortunately listened way too hard to the "life skills lol" crowd. The same crowd that's now meandered over to Apex because it's the new thing people talk about.

There's two parts to it:

1.) The low TTK means that a twitchy player will kill you before you even have time to see him. It also means you can get the jump on him the same way though.

2.) Treyarch buffing armor lowers the TTK on players who wear it theoretically to help them survive longer against more skilled players... But the more skilled guys are the ones who are going to get the armor first or take it from corpses. So you've now doubled down on your problem.

There's also the flashbang to consider. A gadget theoretically there to give you a tactical advantage that's again, abused by everyone to get total no skill kills.

Blackout has issues that all stemmed from trying to cater to the scubs but instead doubled down on the difficulty for everyone. This is the slope you slide down.

On high TTK games being +/- skill yeah it's not a science. I've always played both high and low TTK games and there's an adjustment period between them. I believe a game that allows you to have time to react to danger will ultimately favor a higher skilled player though. Halo Vs COD for example. I can usually kill the top player in a COD match multiple times because if for whatever reason I can catch their back turned, I can vaporize them without he/she being able to react. Shooting a seasoned Halo player will only get his attention on me and if he's a better shot than I am, I won't win. Period. This is Blackout vs AL in a nutshell. But adding in that if your fights take too long, other teams will get there to third party you. Or you run out of ammo. Or the wall creeps up on you.

Let me tell you, it took me a couple days to get into the AL groove. I was coming from Blackout having to play like a hyper, Coke addicted leopard to a game where I was literally running out of ammo fighting one other team on a hill. lol

I've grown to appreciate the differences a lot though. Our squad has to really work together now taking positions, pushing at the right time, focusing on those with the higher armor, synergizing abilities and etc.

And we still have Blackout for balls to the walls crazy fast fights.

Good times.

Last edited:

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
God randoms are arseholes. Their immediate focus after a firefight is to loot EVERYTHING, not revive or respawn you even though a spawn beacon is within 50 meters, once they do respawn you, they have already looted your corpse so you cant go back and pick your things up again and just get back into the match again, you have to now try and run around and loot new things.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
God randoms are arseholes. Their immediate focus after a firefight is to loot EVERYTHING, not revive or respawn you even though a spawn beacon is within 50 meters, once they do respawn you, they have already looted your corpse so you cant go back and pick your things up again and just get back into the match again, you have to now try and run around and loot new things.

Im curious how many of these posts are console players

The console conmunity is downright awful for games like thanks to the demographic

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've gotta start playing this with a group. It's unbearable with randos because NO ONE uses a mic. It's weird coming from

I quit a game earlier because I died next to a revive station and my teammate looted my body before reviving me.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, just quit a game cause dude wanted to loot 5 boxes before reviving me right next to him

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Hey breh. If you didn't want me to take your level 3 armor, kitted out Wingman, and all of your ammo, you should have stayed alive.

I just expect people to loot first before reviving since its the spoil of a fight. Typically if I am close enough to the firefight I died in I can still pick up the armor and weapons left behind and be set.

Like truthfully I don't think anyone does it to be an ass. If they are left alive they probably want to be ready for another firefight.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey breh. If you didn't want me to take your level 3 armor, kitted out Wingman, and all of your ammo, you should have stayed alive.

I just expect people to loot first before reviving since its the spoil of a fight. Typically if I am close enough to the firefight I died in I can still pick up the armor and weapons left behind and be set.
Looting your own teammates when they can be Respawned is grounds for them to quit the match. Don't be a dick

Status
Not open for further replies.