• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck do people always disconnect? Is there any consequence for doing so? I don't think I've played a single round where both of my teammates stayed the entire round.
I assume they're just crashing.

I had a crash a few days ago like 30 seconds after my two TwitchTV-named teammates respawned me and I'm sure they thought I just bailed on them for no reason after getting respawned.

Oct 28, 2017
Just comes off as thread shitting to spout a bunch of nonsense then declare that the game is in some honeymoon period because they're no good at it. It's sad people can't accept they're the problem and not the game.

I didn't really crap on the game as much as I did the scene that seems to be encroaching upon it. Sorry if you're sensitive to that.

I do think the game currently has a ton of hype that surrounds it. In my opinions as see this game going the way of many fighters or even DOTA: "Get guud or get out". That leads me to think that the game will be somewhat inaccessible over time leading to what I believe is currently a honeymoon phase for the game. I feel like your response to me is even more evidence of that.

I think most games go through this. I'm not discounting the quality of the game that is there for players that are apparently more skilled than myself.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was the champion last game. Made it to the end, then one of our teammates who died and got revived twice decided to quit out after his third death... One of the other full squads then got the drop on me and my other teammate. Really wanted the Champion Win >_<

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I didn't really crap on the game as much as I did the scene that seems to be encroaching upon it. Sorry if you're sensitive to that.

I do think the game currently has a ton of hype that surrounds it. In my opinions as see this game going the way of many fighters or even DOTA: "Get guud or get out". That leads me to think that the game one be somewhat inaccessible over time leading to what I believe is currently a honeymoon phase for the game. I feel like your response to me is even more evidence of that.

I think most games go through this. I'm not discounting the quality of the game that is there for players that are apparently more skilled than myself.
It's not. The game is in a genre that is highly competitive and well developed, it is also out for free, played by tens of millions of players, streamed with 200-300k viewers on twitch, if there are any gamebreaking issues, it will be exposed extremely quickly. Considering it is from EA and Respawn, it will also be actively examined under a microscope. The game is already out for a week, if it is broken, it would be widely known by now.

Ismailman

Oct 29, 2017
For people on Xbox that don't want to play with ransoms look at Looking For Group. Most people have mics and you can play with grown ups vs kids. I got a great group last night and we got a bunch of wins and top 10s.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Caustic being as fast as other characters is kind of mind blowing — animations really do make him feel slower

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the biggest learning curve for me is the gear. I have no idea what's what, what ammo it uses, whether it's burst or single or auto fire... and most importantly, what's good.

You'll see tier lists differ all over the place as a lot of it is preference.

Here are the basic tiers

Top tier
Mastif and Kaber
-- These are the golden (full yellow perks) weapons you can find in care packages and in the blue hot zone at the start.

Good weapons
Pretty much everything except the weapons below. Some are more dependent on mods than others, for instance the Prowler with Hop mod goes from pretty bad to bad ass. People are going to break these guns up into their own tiers, but most of it will be preference/mod based.

Bad weapons (bear in mind some will like these, but these are the ones you generally see in low tier brackets)
RE-45
P-2020
Alternator
EVA-8
Mozambique
Prowler
without hop up (full auto alt fire) mod.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not discounting the quality of the game that is there for players that are apparently more skilled than myself.
eh, when you say things like "I think the honeymoon is going to wear off in this game rather quickly," you kind of are discounting the quality of the game.

It's a competitive shooter. There's only so much a dev can do to make a competitive shooter fun for bad players. That doesn't mean the game is bad, it's just not for you. That's a "you" thing though, not a "game" thing.

That said, I do think a solo queue mode would be nice for bad players. I almost quit this game before I even started because there was no solo mode.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
You'll see tier lists differ all over the place as a lot of it is preference.

Here are the basic tiers

Top tier
Mastif and Kaber
-- These are the golden (full yellow perks) weapons you can find in care packages and in the blue hot zone at the start.

Good weapons
Pretty much everything except the weapons below. Some are more dependent on mods than others, for instance the Prowler with Hop mod goes from pretty bad to bad ass. People are going to break these guns up into their own tiers, but most of it will be preference/mod based.

Bad weapons (bear in mind some will like these, but these are the ones you generally see in low tier brackets)
RE-45
P-2020
Alternator
EVA-8
Mozambique
Prowler
without hop up (full auto alt fire) mod.

I'd have to see the data behind the RE-45 being the lowest tier. It's a number machine at close range.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I don't doubt that I'm not great. Like I said...seems like the community is already becoming toxic.

I understand the mechanics. I'm 39 and have been playing shooters for some time. The aiming just seems off. I don't record my play or I'd be happy to share with you. They're not invincible it just feels like after playing for a week I've made no forward progress towards anything.

Game looks great, runs great, sounds great, it's just apparent that it is unfortunately something I won't be able to keep up with with my mediocre skill set.
See this is a much more reasonable response to failure than blaming the game. It takes practice to get good at these BR games due to the amount of new game mechanics to learn on top of being competent at gunplay. Blaming the game for poor play isn't going to achieve anything.

Although now I see further down you're accusing me of being the toxic community for calling you out on your bullshit, sigh.

Jan 4, 2018
Just grabbed my 4th win, the ring got tight with 3 squads remaining and we were stuck between them. I dropped my shield as Gibraltar and instead of rushing us they decided to fight each other while we shrugged off the crossfire, then we mopped up the remaining squad

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's possible to throw in Titanfall 2 bots and create some kind of deathmatch mode for players to get accustomed to.

Or even do offline Battle Royale. Either that or expanding the training mode. It doesnt teach you about the other characters, shields, or inventory management.

Oct 28, 2017
eh, when you say things like "I think the honeymoon is going to wear off in this game rather quickly," you kind of are discounting the quality of the game.

It's a competitive shooter. There's only so much a dev can do to make a competitive shooter fun for bad players. That doesn't mean the game is bad, it's just not for you. That's a "you" thing though, not a "game" thing.

That said, I do think a solo queue mode would be nice for shitty players. I almost quit this game before I even started because there was no solo mode.

I'm discounting the ability of this game to attract more players overtime or reach a larger audience not the game design, art, etc. it's an extremely well made package that I think could be limited by a players ability to improve or feel a sense of accomplishment or progression.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm discounting the ability of this game to attract more players overtime or reach a larger audience not the game design, art, etc. it's an extremely well made package that I think could be limited by a players ability to improve or feel a sense of accomplishment or progression.
The upcoming Battle Pass will do that.

Also, the "toxic community" thing hasn't seemed to hurt League of Legends or Dota 2.

There are people who like competitive games. A lot of people. You don't. That's fine, but it's not the game's fault.

Oct 28, 2017
It's not. The game is in a genre that is highly competitive and well developed, it is also out for free, played by tens of millions of players, streamed with 200-300k viewers on twitch, if there are any gamebreaking issues, it will be exposed extremely quickly. Considering it is from EA and Respawn, it will also be actively examined under a microscope. The game is already out for a week, if it is broken, it would be widely known by now.

I don't believe the game is broken at all.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I'll try not to be so negative, maybe there are good reasons so many of my matches 1-2 of my teammates drop early. Though I think I realized the reason BR games don't have matchmaking is because people like me need to exist as fodder for those good at the game:) I had purple armor and was taken out by someone who I think had no armor based on the white damage markers. And I mean, last match I was killed by someone with like 500 headshot kills. WTF? How is that possible already... They really need to play on a harder difficulty.

I don't want solo queue. I don't feel bad for being the weak link on a team. I just wish the overall match was more balanced to like minded players...

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

Why? I don't see this as less assessible than Fortnite, and I'd say it has a stronger sense of progression.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if anyone wants to add me as a friend [PC] send an invite to 'Taswell-Joysword'.

I have mainly been playing Lifeline and Wraith, but down for whatever.

Fair warning I am terrible!

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018

I do think the game currently has a ton of hype that surrounds it. In my opinions as see this game going the way of many fighters or even DOTA: "Get guud or get out". That leads me to think that the game will be somewhat inaccessible over time leading to what I believe is currently a honeymoon phase for the game. I feel like your response to me is even more evidence of that.

I dont know, this game seems easier to win then fortnite. I'm not even that good and win somewhat regularly and get 2nd more then I like to admit lol.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite wouldn't be anywhere close to as popular as it is without the strong focus on completing daily and weekly Challenges to level up the Battle Pass. It gives all the players that will never get a single Victory Royale (Fortnite stat-tracking sites show that only about 50% of players have ever achieved just a single solo Victory) something to be engaged with.

So once Apex starts its first season and drops its Battle Pass, it will be even more beginner friendly.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
It's not going to stop any time soon. Toxic community and occasional server stability issue never stopped a game from growing. It is also being actively supported with new content.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Yeah the biggest learning curve for me is the gear. I have no idea what's what, what ammo it uses, whether it's burst or single or auto fire... and most importantly, what's good.

The ammo is easy... weapon has a red background -> red ammo, weapon has a green background -> green ammo and so on. Regarding good weapons... just test for yourself. astro mentioned some, but I have to say I like the alternator that he mentioned as a bad weapon very much. On the other hand I don't like the Hemlok, but others love it.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
2nd win in a row, this time with randoms and as the kill leader.

Seems the best way to do things in this game is to just be super aggressive. Run towards gunshots, flank the enemies and pick them off while they're weak and busy. Playing passive just means you'll miss out on the loot.

And the Peacekeeper is filthy.

Oct 28, 2017
The upcoming Battle Pass will do that.

Also, the "toxic community" thing hasn't seemed to hurt League of Legends or Dota 2.

There are people who like competitive games. A lot of people. You don't. That's fine, but it's not the game's fault.

Completely agree. However, I do think it limits the community growth. Which again, is completely fine. I don't really enjoy the negativity that comes associated with a game like this and I think there are lots of other gamers that would probably agree with this sentiment.

I'm going to bounce out of this conversation as I'm providing what appears to be a controversial opinion and I don't want to infringe on others enthusiasm over the game.

I'm sorry if anyone viewed this as thread crapping I was just attempting to share my take on the game. The responses here seemed to reaffirm what I was feeling.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The ammo is easy... weapon has a red background -> red ammo, weapon has a green background -> green ammo and so on. Regarding good weapons... just test for yourself. astro mentioned some, but I have to say I like the alternator that he mentioned as a bad weapon very much. On the other hand I don't like the Hemlok, but others love it.

I didn't say the were bad absolutely, just that more people seem to think so. I should have made that post clearer.

Ismailman

Oct 29, 2017
Telling noobs to drop hot is bad advice you're way too much at the whim of loot RNG and that's super frustrating. Noobs do need practice getting into fights though so here's my advice.

Drop late in a pretty far location so you're likelier to be on your own. This will give you time to loot up, and then go and play aggressive. When you hear shots run towards them and try and engage.

Even as an experienced player that is starting to get a good win rate and drops 4 kills on average I hate hot dropping.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

PUBG and Fortnite are good examples why I dont worry about this game's growth.

Both PUBG and Fortnite are difficult games for new players. Fortnite's skill gap grew significantly after launch. Whereas I could destroy people in the early days, I cannot play Fortnite anymore because I am outclassed by insane players. Yet it's extremely popular, particularly because so many people put in the time to get great at it.

I dont see why this should be different for Apex Legends.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I haven't seen many really off the wall/nasty people in my games so far, anecdotally

The voice to text and text to voice does help quite a bit too, this is probably one of the most accessible shooters ever, even moreso than Overwatch where you can be a credit to your team

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree. However, I do think it limits the community growth. Which again, is completely fine. I don't really enjoy the negativity that comes associated with a game like this and I think there are lots of other gamers that would probably agree with this sentiment.

I'm going to bounce out of this conversation as I'm providing what appears to be a controversial opinion and I don't want to infringe on others enthusiasm over the game.

I'm sorry if anyone viewed this as thread crapping I was just attempting to share my take on the game. The responses here seemed to reaffirm what I was feeling.
Well before you go, I just want to comment that there's no possible solution here that wouldn't "limit community growth" as you put it. I'm not sure what you have in mind for that, but whatever it is, it would likely make the game less rewarding for the highly skilled players, which would make the game less competitive overall. That would "limit the community growth" far more. Again, it's a competitive shooter.

It's not that you have an unpopular opinion, you're just... kinda wrong about how these games work.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So 1 guy crashes, I get respawned and the other guy just runs off so far away and dies... then leaves the match. Why are people like this.

Do you use a mic? because if I'm matched with people who don't have mics and aren't playing properly I just do my own thing.

If people can't be bothered to use mics sometimes I won't even res tbh. It depends if they look like they know what they are doing. I can usually tell on the drop if the players will be useless or not.

Last edited:

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the more I play the more I'm getting matched up with people who just kinda like to drop in bad places and botch the entire game.

I still don't have a win. :(

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I've finished 2nd 8 times today without a win. It feels fucking horrible . I don't think I've ever felt this bad about losing in a game in along while.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Drop late in a pretty far location so you're likelier to be on your own. This will give you time to loot up, and then go and play aggressive. When you hear shots run towards them and try and engage.
I agree with this very much. When I first started playing Fortnite, all I did was drop Tilted and honestly it didn't teach me shit, I would kill one or two people, die to some guy's pump shotgun and requeue. There was no learning experience there, just a few easy kills and then a death I didn't see coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.