• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's all concepts taken from the 2000 Japanese film Battle Royale turned into game form. In the film, the characters are given all of their stuff at random. Hazards like the shrinking zone comes from Battle Royale's characters having neck braces that will explode if they aren't in designated places at designated times, etc.

It's a good movie, I watched it 15 years ago and knew even back then it was a great concept for a video game, but the technology wasn't there yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(film)#Plot

Oh totally. I first saw BR years ago. Its just that It feels at odds with the very quick lethality of the game. I probably just need to watch a tutorial and spend more time with it.

It would be great if items were a bit more distinguished from the environments.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if some youtuber has made videos about actual firefight tactics using PUBG -- how to not be surrounded, how to cover each other's angles, etc. For Apex specifically, I've seen this tip sheet for Bangalore's smoke:

q1pdj2mnxh721.png
The only thing I would add to this is to mark enemy positions before you attack, otherwise you can get caught in the smoke as well and not know where the enemy is at.

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
Man I know my aim sucks sometimes but I honestly feel like the wingman misses for no apparent reason. Is there bloom I'm not aware of or something? I was trying to shoot a downed target barely moving and it missed like 3 shots, all using ads.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I would add to this is to mark enemy positions before you attack, otherwise you can get caught in the smoke as well and not know where the enemy is at.
Yeah you should be marking enemies all the time. It's way more efficient than trying to describe their location over voice. Sometimes I'm spamming F key while actively shooting at people.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad people don't know how good the prowler is. Now no one can Nerf my one of my favorite weapons this time around. Good. Stay away from my guns pls. Nerf that goddamn peaceklamper instead.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Sure that's part of it...The other part is that it's a good and fun game.

Also I'm thinking that "making a dent" may be putting it mildly.

didn't cliffy b announce he was producing a musical, but it really turned out his 'producing' was really just throwing a load of Epic Games cash he had left over at it?

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
The game is unplayable with randoms. I've got to wait for my friends to play. Nobody communicates, every man is for himself, and when people die they just quit instead of waiting for you to get their banner and respawn them.
God, this. Sometimes while you're literally carrying the tag to a respawn point. I guess impatience is what got them dead in the first place tho, so.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy to me that this game has so many skins for free on launch. Such an extra feature that goes a long way in personalizing the game

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy to me that this game has so many skins for free on launch. Such an extra feature that goes a long way in personalizing the game
Thats one of the big things that makes these games (AL and Fortnite) as successful as they are. The second you add paid only advantages it's over.

It's why Blackout will never have the success of these games and same for RDR2 of BFV...they'll never come close. They should be able to just look at the phenomenal success of Fortnite (and now AL) and see that if you make this shit free and it's good, people will flock to it.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
The more I play it the more it makes me think about Halo's BR mode that I expected to be coming with(/just before ) Halo Infinite. If 343 is indeed developing the game I expect them to be, the release of Apex has really taken a lot of possible momentum from them. As this is a more quick action oriented and momentum based battle royale, the game fills the itch to play Halo or games such as Overwatch more so than it does for Fortnite.

I still hope that there will be a Halo BR, but this being free makes the chance that that will be a huge success a lot smaller.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how happy streamers are to finally be able to play something other than Fortnite. I was watching Ninja earlier and there's a large segment of his audience just completely unfamiliar with games outside of it. Luckily he plays so spicy/well that the audience is enjoying it. He mentioned they paid him to play the first day but he's now just playing because it's a 10/10 for him and that seems like a really common theme with all the most popular streamers.

Good to see.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am actually looking forward to that TWITCH tournament. Gonna be fun to see if Shroud can Matrix his team to the big win.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Caustic with a final circle in the bunker is just plain unfair

and awesome

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When is that taking place?

The Twitch Rivals Apex Legends Challenge takes place on Feb. 12 and Feb. 19 and features 48 streamers competing for $200,000 in prizes, Twitch said in a blog post on Wednesday. Some of the online personalities participating in the event include DrDisrespect, TSM Myth, DisguisedToast, Shroud, and more.

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/twitch-apex-legends-challenge-announced-1203131577/

I am an idiot, I thought they were fighting each other.
This is way less interesting.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
WEW got a W in match where my two teammates got killed within the first minute of the game. was able to revive one. God damn that feels good.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Titanfall 2 had Happy Hour game modes right? That wouldn't really translate to Apex, so I'm thinking maybe there should be a 'Word of the day'.

Let's start with 'Strategy'. A lot of players on my team seem to be unfamiliar with it.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I got killed so I walked away from the computer for a bit, I came back to my computer a few min later and was pretty surprised to see that I'd been revived, my team was still nearby so I geared up and we went on to win! I wonder if the game doesn't make it clear enough when a team mate is still alive and you can still be revived?

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I really do hope they actively create and update in-game hooks. Being F2P, it seems impossible not to, but the continued support and challenges/world events/tournaments/stats/etc are part of what has kept Fortnite players engaged.

PUBG was so lumbering in their ability to update and keep the game fresh that it took me coming back after months to finally feel like things had changed and, by that point, I had already moved on.

I love this game and want more and more.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
According to some leaks, it is possible we might get a solo mode sometime (soon hopefully).

For every single good experience I've had with randoms... I've had several poor ones. Mostly because people just run off and make dumb decisions in general.

I'm down, and my team is 2v1,teammate proceeds to revive and get shot. 1v1 and the other loses. stupidity.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Me and my mate got our first win today on Xbox.

I got the final kill 😏

The random we were with was utterly fucking useless.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Can't close out a game today as Mirage, so many 2nd places. I'm finding I'm outkilling my teammates by a LOT today, there's obviously a lot of people playing for the first time this weekend. In the games I won I've normally been second for kills on the squad.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
That functionality isn't in the game.

For the majority of games esports is still for the marketing department, not the developers themselves.
Yeah I understand.

The competition doesn't reward who plays better, but who plays the longest. Everyone knows shroud can win a bunch of games if he puts his mind to it, it just becomes a matter of how long he is willing to play. Which if you trying to advertise your game is good, but not if your trying to find the best player.

All I'm saying is that it would be nice if there was a pro's only match.

Status
Not open for further replies.