• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I am such a noob....first two matches I die before I even have a weapon...seems i'll wait to play with my squad is online. Am I doing something wrong? Can you see weapons on the mini-map?

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Someone with a bigger jump would be obnoxious to fight against. Untold bunny hopping and kangaroo bounding.
What I did in Arms of Telos was let the player hold space to jump higher but make the jump trigger on release -- so they could jump real high, but not if they're spamming it. You basically charge it then go. Felt good.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
There's no magic bullet for getting better at this game. Play more, practice being aggressive, think about what your enemies are likely to be doing based on the information you have about them, think about what they expect you to do.

Also, try turning mouse sensitivity down.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Are you gearing up? What weapons are you using

I can't really name them, but generally I opt for one long/mid range weapon and one close combat, mostly shotgun (mostly I find the shotgun pistol and the auto shotgun). It's long/mid range where I seem to be struggling.

EDIT: Steady 75 Fps with v-sync on.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
So, I had been playing this game for a couple days on my PS4 Pro, and the first thing I did was slide the FOV up.

Last night after suffering through some very stuttery frame rate during battles, I set the FOV back to the default.

The game instantly became smoother and I immediately started doing better. My friends and I won the very next game.

DO NOT INCREASE THE FOV ON CONSOLES

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't really name them, but generally I opt for one long/mid range weapon and one close combat, mostly shotgun (mostly I find the shotgun pistol and the auto shotgun). It's long/mid range where I seem to be struggling.
Never use the shotgun pistol. Try the spitfire for medium range and G7 scout for longer. Don't bother with 4x + optics

Wingman is also very versatile at various ranges

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Wingman is basically a must have for me -- good for short/medium ranges. After that I look for something long range like Scout G7.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Kill tracker should be across characters. It doesn't really promote people to continue learning new Legends if it's going to show that they have zero kills. Also more badges should be across legends.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is the game running for everyone else on pc?

My currency on the main menu (top right) iosn't loading and I cant' switch tabs.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I found out I had an old EA account I could link so I took the plunge
This was my first real MP FPS shooting match in like 15 years.
One of the team mates dropped out before we started so I was paired with another of my level (level 3).

We landed a bit away from each other due to a missed "floating platform" or something and when I arrived the person was already dead. I picked up her banner to revive her (sounded like a girl from the chat) and I managed to do 100 damage to someone blocking my path to the respawn thing before getting mauled from behind by someone with 75 kills.

We died..
I lasted 1 minute, 30 seconds.. My teammate lasted 1 minute 10 seconds and I was not the first one to go which was what I was having angst about.

I might try a bit more :)

Edit: funnily enough the game DC'ed me during the tutorial but I managed to get through it in the end.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
So after a good amount of games, I'm really not getting better. Any advices on how to improve Because dying after just 5-10 minutes without killing is starting to become frustrating.
There's not much specific advice to give about the start of a BR round, because opening skirmishes usually just revolve around the luck of finding a decent weapon and standard deathmatch skills (awareness, movement, positioning, aim).

But one thing I can say is to not be afraid to disengage and try to heal up instead of 100% committing to every fight you start firing off shots into. If you fire off some shots and all of them miss, don't just stand in place and try to take aim again, move to another position and heal any damage you took before re-engaging. Top off your shields pretty much whenever you can. Running away never feels good, but it always feels better than crawling around in a knocked state.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I am such a noob....first two matches I die before I even have a weapon...seems i'll wait to play with my squad is online. Am I doing something wrong? Can you see weapons on the mini-map?

Not unless someone pings them for you.

Try not to land in the middle of nowhere. You'll have better chances of looting in and around buildings. There are supply caches out in the stretches of land in between, but they aren't nearly as reliable.

What I did in Arms of Telos was let the player hold space to jump higher but make the jump trigger on release -- so they could jump real high, but not if they're spamming it. You basically charge it then go. Felt good.

Yeah, that sounds better. Still usable but not as abusable.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Kill tracker should be across characters. It doesn't really promote people to continue learning new Legends if it's going to show that they have zero kills. Also more badges should be across legends.

Like I suggested a few days ago, they should just rename the old ones, make it more clear it's for the current character and introduce a brand new one, maybe in purple, that will be for kills in total.

Oct 27, 2017
My squad got a 0 kill win last night, didn't run into anyone all game, holed up in a house in the final circle and heard the other 2 squads fighting and then suddently You Are the Champion pops on screen, still don't know how it happened but it was great.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
Like I suggested a few days ago, they should just rename the old ones, make it more clear it's for the current character and introduce a brand new one, maybe in purple, that will be for kills in total.
This should be an easy enough change. Hopefully they will make it.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
My squad got a 0 kill win last night, didn't run into anyone all game, holed up in a house in the final circle and heard the other 2 squads fighting and then suddently You Are the Champion pops on screen, still don't know how it happened but it was great.

Since the weapons aren't hit-scan, it's possible to kill trade. Or maybe somebody just got stuck outside the wall.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Not unless someone pings them for you.

Try not to land in the middle of nowhere. You'll have better chances of looting in and around buildings. There are supply caches out in the stretches of land in between, but they aren't nearly as reliable.

Yeah, that sounds better. Still usable but not as abusable.
Thanks. Maybe I am not using the ping system enough.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So after a good amount of games, I'm really not getting better. Any advices on how to improve Because dying after just 5-10 minutes without killing is starting to become frustrating.

To add to what antitrop wrote, if you spot an enemy in the distance, don't shoot as you'll give your position away and turn an advantage into a long range duck and cover. instead, keep an eye on them and move up close to get the drop.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
This is something a lot of people overlook. It's common to think faster sensitivity = faster response times, but almost all the pros play on really low sensitivity and just have bigger mousepads.
Yeah, I actually would like to turn my sensitivity down considerably more but I don't have the desk space for it. I've spent the last few years wondering why I struggle so much flicking at close range in BRs—after fiddling with the sensitivity in this game I realized I've been playing at a totally unnecessary disadvantage.

dunno what the solution is. more desk?

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if some youtuber has made videos about actual firefight tactics using PUBG -- how to not be surrounded, how to cover each other's angles, etc. For Apex specifically, I've seen this tip sheet for Bangalore's smoke:

q1pdj2mnxh721.png

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Is there a beginners guide somewhere? Basically looking for which character to pick for run and gun type play.

Also, is there a way to quickly throw grenades or use health like in COD blackout? I have to hit up or right arrow to use an item?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
To add to what antitrop wrote, if you spot an enemy in the distance, don't shoot as you'll give your position away and turn an advantage into a long range duck and cover. instead, keep an eye on them and move up close to get the drop.
Ya, the geometry of the map in this game makes it really easy to advance on people while still staying in cover. Most other BRs have so much open space that anyone you're W-keying can see you coming from hundreds of meters away.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the game but I'm sick of it crashing to desktop without any warning or error. It even happened when we were about to win last night and there was only two teams left with us having everything we needed to win. It's frustrating as hell.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, the geometry of the map in this game makes it really easy to advance on people while still staying in cover. Most other BRs have so much open space that anyone you're W-keying can see you coming from hundreds of meters away.

It's literally the first BR I'm sinking time into and this is a huge reason.

Also being able to very quickly get behind players using all the various mobility options is so much fun.

There are loads of places near cliffs that you can climb that people don't seem to be aware of, I've snuck up on so many squads doing this.

Some days the TTK seems way off to me.
TTK took me a while to get used to. Muscle memory was making me miss kill shots all the time.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if some youtuber has made videos about actual firefight tactics using PUBG -- how to not be surrounded, how to cover each other's angles, etc. For Apex specifically, I've seen this tip sheet for Bangalore's smoke:

q1pdj2mnxh721.png

Are you sure the right way to use smoke isn't dropping it down the second you spot an enemy in the distance, thus drawing their attention.

I could have sworn...

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy Mirage but I seem to always die to Lifeline or Wraith in the final circle.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Well thanks to the bug allowing me to play Mirage without unlocking him I now have the achievement for a win with all 8 characters. Now time to work on the 5000 damage one.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy Mirage but I seem to always die to Lifeline or Wraith in the final circle.

Mirage is my favourite atm. Using the Decoy in close quarters battles almost always gives you a split second advantage as they check the decoy/fire at it first.

Not a huge fan of his Ultimate though. Sometimes it's a nice panic button, but not being able to interact with things makes it feel kind of useless a lot of the time. Usually I'm wishing for Wraith's.

My perfect Hero would be Decoy and Portal.

His passive has saved me a few times.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
Mirage is my favourite atm. Using the Decoy in close quarters battles almost always gives you a split second advantage as they check the decoy/fire at it first.

Not a huge fan of his Ultimate though. Sometimes it's a nice panic button, but not being able to interact with things makes it feel kind of useless a lot of the time. Usually I'm wishing for Wraith's.

My perfect Hero would be Decoy and Portal.

His passive has saved me a few times.
His ult has helped me out a bit. It is a panic button that I only use to get away and not get the jump on someone.

Deploying decoys while sky diving is such fun.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
How do you beat a Wraith + Bangalore + Bloodhound (or similar) rush comp? We always get overwhelmed before we can get our bearings and fight back properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.