• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
Alright, first time I got proper bamboozled by a mirage, lost the game to him after clutching through. Well played man, well played. Also our Lifeline must have rezzed our Bloodhound 8 times, dude just kept dying.

HelloMeow

Oct 25, 2017
Are incendiary grenades good at anything? Sometimes they convince people to go find another piece of cover I guess... I feel like their area could be much bigger instead of being a flimsy line on the floor.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Surely some others more experienced with BR would have a better answer, but TTK is very low compared to Overwatch and individual skills can't really save you, plus Gibraltar as a tank isn't really a Reinhardt replacement

True but here's one way they could have good synergy - Lifeline drops her care package out in the open and Gibraltar could pop his shield around the care package so you don't get picked off grabbing the loot. Stuff like this.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Surely some others more experienced with BR would have a better answer, but TTK is very low compared to Overwatch and individual skills can't really save you, plus Gibraltar as a tank isn't really a Reinhardt replacement

Unless I understand you wrong here, TTK in Apex is very high compared to other BR games, and with a lot.

Compare to Overwatch then true.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do low level players who get jump master insist on jumping immediately into a hot spot given that their odds of survival for more than 30 seconds is nil. So boring to sit in loading screens...

Yeah this, that's why I've started splitting off if the intended drop point is stupid

EDIT: especially if you can see other teams landing there before you

billion

Dec 22, 2017
Amazingly the game is running off of Source 2 - Valve. Really surprised by what source engine can do!

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Unless I understand you wrong here, TTK in Apex is very high compared to other BR games, and with a lot.

Yeah I played some Blackout after playing Apex and forgot how unbelievably fast you die. It was shocking actually. I also really missed my knockdown shield from Apex.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Amazingly the game is running off of Source 2 - Valve. Really surprised by what source engine can do!
explains why it's buttery smooth, actually.

Apex Legends: Everything was shotguns
just snatched another dub with my shotgun.

but to be fair, it was at that point in the game. the circle was about as small as it could be and it was time for fast to face knuckles. no other weapon is appropriate at that point, and if you failed to prepare by having a short-range weapon available, you deserve what's coming to ya.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
True but here's one way they could have good synergy - Lifeline drops her care package out in the open and Gibraltar could pop his shield around the care package so you don't get picked off grabbing the loot. Stuff like this.

Definitely, it just doesn't fit into the Overwatch mold

Yeah I don't think the meta revolves around skills because of that, sure some legends like Pathfinder can have a different playstyle, but the core mechanic is still shooting, outmaneuvering, looting etc. so that the the three archetypes of Overwatch don't fit, and I was comparing the TTK of Apex to Overwatch (or you could even compare it to some ability heavy games like Paragon or LOL)

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm very optimistic about this game's feature. The roadmap they have seems to show they have the means and the tools to deliver meaningful content updates in a timely manner. It doesn't have to change up the game twice a game like Fortnite, but a couple interesting additions per month would suffice, or even a major update at the end of each season. EA and Respawn (the Apex team, anyway) have enough money and manpower to properly dedicate to this project, whereas something like Blackout is predictably harder to support as it's already like 1/4th of the entire game (there's multiplayer, Zombies, etc.), and plus they are already likely in full force on the next COD game as well, as Activision doesn't currently think of COD games as 5-10 years products like Overwatch, Siege, Rocket League and the likes. I think this could truly be the polished triple-A well supported BR experience we've all been waiting for, let's hope they don't screw something up in the process.

My personal wishlist:
- QoL changes like a replay system, killcams, being able to keep your team of randoms after a match, etc.
- different maps rotating like in PUBG instead of only one map slowly evolving like in Fortnite or Blackout
- more classes, weapons, skins, etc. - we know these are coming
- I can live with the game not offering solo modes and such, but I'd at least like a Mercenary playlist in which it's impossible to team up: everyone gets random teammates
- limited time game modes like in Fortnite, eg. a 30v30 mode, maybe one where a player (or a small amount of them) spawns with a Titan and others team up agains that, etc.
- an improved inventory - it's already great in many ways, but Blackout currently handles looting dead people's loot better
- bit of extra options for screwing around like a training ground for any class, private matches, etc.

I bolded what I'd most like to see in particular. What do you guys think?

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
If you run and open the map/inventory while running, the character will keep on running.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
- limited time game modes like in Fortnite, eg. a 30v30 mode, maybe one where a player (or a small amount of them) spawns with a Titan and others team up agains that, etc.
I really want that, that's the only time I boot up Fortnite basically, when they do TDM or 50vs50. I also had the idea that they could do a 30vs30 where respawns are limited to your team's respawn points and people fight to conquer them and stop each other from respawing (which is similar to Ut2k4's Onslaught)

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried running this combo yet but wouldn't an Overwatch approach to the team meta work well in Apex?

- One healer - Lifeline
- One tank - Gibraltar
- One DPS - Bangalore, Bloodhouns, Mirage, etc...

As the game progresses and people get better with these legends I'm guessing some kind of meta would eventually surface atleast high level play.

The concept of DPS is kinda lost in Apex Legends, because everyone uses the same weapons, has the same health, etc., and relatively few abilities concentrate on damaging, if anything what's there is a way to lure people out. In Overwatch you have weapons or abilities that take down the enemies in a fraction of a second regardless of their health, nothing of the sort here. I think a healer is practically a necessity, the rest is up to the individual playstyles. A defense class maybe to cast some shields, but other than that it's wide open in terms of options. I like having a recon, I absolutely adore playing as one too, but I don't feel that it's necessary to have one. The same goes for assault classes: they have useful abilities but none of them are mandatory in the meta as of now imho.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
There's something very pleasing to the eye about the look of death stash boxes in this game. They look like Pez littering the battlefield. Also love how they're colored based on the loot that's inside of them.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Bottom middle screen I'm getting a notification saying "Party leader quit" what's that? Is someone talking shit to me?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
There's something very pleasing to the eye about the look of death stash boxes in this game. They look like Pez littering the battlefield. Also love how they're colored based on the loot that's inside of them.
Yes, that's a very smart detail. If I'm stacked up with purples I don't even bother looking at anything below.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
The concept of DPS is kinda lost in Apex Legends, because everyone uses the same weapons, has the same health, etc., and relatively few abilities concentrate on damaging, if anything what's there is a way to lure people out. In Overwatch you have weapons or abilities that take down the enemies in a fraction of a second regardless of their health, nothing of the sort here. I think a healer is practically a necessity, the rest is up to the individual playstyles. A defense class maybe to cast some shields, but other than that it's wide open in terms of options. I like having a recon, I absolutely adore playing as one too, but I don't feel that it's necessary to have one. The same goes for assault classes: they have useful abilities but none of them are mandatory in the meta as of now imho.

Yeah I guess I'm just thinking that DPS in Apex would anyone that can flank well (wraith) or their abilities would be more skewed towards getting damage like Bangalore's ult, etc.

I actually think the next few heros should be tank and healer based since we only really have one of each right now.

VaeVictis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't explain anywhere but the kill stats are per character. If you switch back to the one you got the kills with, it should show 4.

I think the logic is because the game has banners showing the top team, and their stats....so in this game stat trackers are one of the unlockable customisation options. Good players will want them because they can choose what fancy stats to show off on the in-game banners as they decimate everyone on the server.

Me? I'll just be gazing at the banner thinking "Huh! I didn't know you could track tha *sniped in the head*

Thank you for the tip. I checked again and my kills are indeed tied to the character I got them with.
Playing on the PC, I get quite a lot of disconnects, mostly at the end of the match when I return to the lobby.

The problem with finding useful loot needs to be addressed quick. Getting killed while running around barehanded is not fun.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
It's possible that I'm missing something, but I hate how there isn't a way to keep squads together unless you win. I had a great group that ended in 2nd place, but I couldn't do anything but exit to the lobby afterwards. It was heartbreaking.

Game Fan

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Finally got my first win last night!

Killed 6 people total, five in the first two-three minutes (!) and the last one in the match. Teammate was the star, thought, killing 9 people total and being aggressive and leading the way. I managed to stay around, healing once in a while and scouting and pinging enemies. Other teammate got 3 kills.

When the team "clicks", the game is really awesome.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's one of the many awesome details this game has. It's insane how many little things they added that, in hindsight, seem obvious as hell, and yet other BR games don't have it yet:
- the advanced pinging
- the coloured death boxes based on what is the highest rarity item inside
- dropping together with one player controlling everyone
- the automatic management of attachments
- being able to ping your inventory to ask for specific stuff rather than messing around in a chat wheel
- your character automatically running in the direction you were pressing if you open the inventory while running
- the hit numbers popping up when you hit a player being coloured based on what armor level they have
- the game automatically telling you if the item you see on the ground is better than what you have or not, and not letting you pick it up automatically if it's not
- same goes for ammo, it shows if you have a weapon for said ammo or not

Nearly all these things sound like advanced features a game implements after months or years of intense playing by the millions of players. And yet they figured all this out in their internal (or very limited invitational) testing. Incredible stuff. And it makes it damn hard to go back to other BR games where none of these awesome QoL features are in. Good luck next time with randoms in Fortnite with everyone flying somewhere else. Good luck comunicating properly in PUBG without a headset. Good luck adding and taking off attachments in Blackout.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't tried running this combo yet but wouldn't an Overwatch approach to the team meta work well in Apex?

- One healer - Lifeline
- One tank - Gibraltar
- One DPS - Bangalore, Bloodhouns, Mirage, etc...

As the game progresses and people get better with these legends I'm guessing some kind of meta would eventually surface atleast high level play.
From my personal experience, a good Lifeline and Bangalore is all you need to consistently win, any other character is a plus, but doesn't matter at all.

The game favors an aggressive playstyle, especially if you have weapons that can consistently dish out big damage, if your shots are on point at close range - Peacemaker, Wingman, Spitfire.

Combined with Bangalore's smokes/missiles and Lifeline's revive shield, you can really get up close and personal with the enemy. Smokes to provide cover, fake rushes and whatnot, missiles to push the enemy into cover and then the other person charging in because no friendly fire, then retreating for a sec to revive the 3rd player while getting covered by the shield.

My friend and I have consistently been on a 5:1 w:l ratio the last two days since we started this combo. Consistently getting 15-20 kill games.

The 3rd person is usually some level 2 or 3 who runs off and learns the game at their own pace, so for us it's always a 2v3v3..etc.

e: Bangalore's passive speed boost is a game changer too. Enemy throws a grenade at you to push you back while they heal up/charge shields? Well, you just got a speed boost and can literally charge in with a shotgun before they even realize what's happening.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
"They're aiming right at you."
"You're not safe here."

Anyone else find this hype as fuck when you start hearing her coach you through a firefight?! She sounds so cool. I wonder who the voices are?

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't been able to play properly because of lag :( Sucks when everyone's talking about it and my mates are all playing it

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it's one of the many awesome details this game has. It's insane how many little things they added that, in hindsight, seem obvious as hell, and yet other BR games don't have it yet:
- the advanced pinging
- the coloured death boxes based on what is the highest rarity item inside
- dropping together with one player controlling everyone
- the automatic management of attachments
- being able to ping your inventory to ask for specific stuff rather than messing around in a chat wheel
- your character automatically running in the direction you were pressing if you open the inventory while running
- the hit numbers popping up when you hit a player being coloured based on what armor level they have
- the game automatically telling you if the item you see on the ground is better than what you have or not, and not letting you pick it up automatically if it's not
- same goes for ammo, it shows if you have a weapon for said ammo or not

Nearly all these things sound like advanced features a game implements after months or years of intense playing by the millions of players. And yet they figured all this out in their internal (or very limited invitational) testing. Incredible stuff. And it makes it damn hard to go back to other BR games where none of these awesome QoL features are in. Good luck next time with randoms in Fortnite with everyone flying somewhere else. Good luck comunicating properly in PUBG without a headset. Good luck adding and taking off attachments in Blackout.

Exactly. And you brought up a point that I forgot to mention - swapping a sight to a different gun takes the press of one button. Boom. So fast. In Blackout you have to detach or drop, pull up your other gun and then attach the new sight.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Hope there is a patch soon. It keeps telling me the party isn't ready when there is no party and that the party leader has left when in game. Also been juddering over the place in some matches since last night.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. And you brought up a point that I forgot to mention - swapping a sight to a different gun takes the press of one button. Boom. So fast. In Blackout you have to detach or drop, pull up your other gun and then attach the new sight.
The auto transfer of attachments that fit the new gun is probably one of my favorite parts about this game. It makes everything so quick and simple.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Finally managed our first two wins tonight after numerous second places. The really rapid SMG is my go-to. Some of the weapons just seem plain junk compared to others.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Last ten matches or so were completely horseshit for me: teammates running all over the place, not pinging anything, dying instantly.
Not a single match lasted longer than two minutes. Frustrating.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Last ten matches or so were completely horseshit for me: teammates running all over the place, not pinging anything, dying instantly.
Look at teammate's kills and level in the loading screen and set your expectations accordingly.

If they have less than 10 kills or less than 10 levels, they have no idea what they're doing yet. Expect failure and if you're the jumpmaster, try to get them someplace where other players won't be because they'll get shit on if they drop in a populated spot.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
From my personal experience, a good Lifeline and Bangalore is all you need to consistently win, any other character is a plus, but doesn't matter at all.

The game favors an aggressive playstyle, especially if you have weapons that can consistently dish out big damage, if your shots are on point at close range - Peacemaker, Wingman, Spitfire.

Combined with Bangalore's smokes/missiles and Lifeline's revive shield, you can really get up close and personal with the enemy. Smokes to provide cover, fake rushes and whatnot, missiles to push the enemy into cover and then the other person charging in because no friendly fire, then retreating for a sec to revive the 3rd player while getting covered by the shield.

My friend and I have consistently been on a 5:1 w:l ratio the last two days since we started this combo. Consistently getting 15-20 kill games.

The 3rd person is usually some level 2 or 3 who runs off and learns the game at their own pace, so for us it's always a 2v3v3..etc.

e: Bangalore's passive speed boost is a game changer too. Enemy throws a grenade at you to push you back while they heal up/charge shields? Well, you just got a speed boost and can literally charge in with a shotgun before they even realize what's happening.

Great strategy here for sure. I will try this with my squad today. If you can believe it, I haven't even tried Bangalore yet. I've been running Mirage and his decoy is very very effective in team fights. His ult during the end game is very helpful too. I had a couple of really good long range players on my team yesterday and we were in a sniper battle with another team. I kept popping my decoy and having it run into an empty field in the middle of us and every single time the enemy sniper would shoot at it revealing their position.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What can you spend the red currency on besides unlocking heroes or buying skins that require a legendary skin for that weapon as a requirement?

Level 25 now, Mirage is OP. I've wiped entire squads using that decoy.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
This game is pretty fun and fresh but I liked the TTK and weapons in blackout better at this point. I'd say about 75% of the guns in the game aren't even worth picking up, even in the early game, while in Blackout I won a game with just the semi-auto pistol (strife) because it actually does damage comparative to the enemy health. The elements surrounding the gun game are really good though. The UI, inventory management, pings, dialogue, and all that are super cool. Like armor in blackout, I don't know if I even care to have shields/armor in these games, just makes the fights a chore. I know they probably won't change something that substantial though.

billion

Dec 22, 2017
Has anyone experienced an issue where Origin shows certain friends as being offline when they aren't?

Depends if I have a lot of friend in my friends list or not. I add people and delete some constantly.

this is most likely a server related issue or even just a origin client side issue. Considering that 4m+ play a day. I wouldn't be surprised if EA's server are under heavy load. A quick origin patch might even solve the issue. Who knows.

I've actually had 3 matches like that today LOL. It's annoying when I have to waste my breathe to remind people of things like "HEY PING IT IF YOU DON'T NEED I MIGHT WANT".... shit get's tiring after awhile. But my first 10 were well. Second game ever I got a win. But sorry your last 10 sucked

Last edited:

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Great strategy here for sure. I will try this with my squad today. If you can believe it, I haven't even tried Bangalore yet. I've been running Mirage and his decoy is very very effective in team fights. His ult during the end game is very helpful too. I had a couple of really good long range players on my team yesterday and we were in a sniper battle with another team. I kept popping my decoy and having it run into an empty field in the middle of us and every single time the enemy sniper would shoot at it revealing their position.
Aye, I know that feeling for Bangalore. Trinity (a healing-based character) is all I play in Warframe, so I just instantly gravitated to Lifeline here. Currently sitting at about 270 kills I think, a couple other characters I tried add up to like 10 or so.

That sniper tactic sounds neat, we also have our way of dealing with them - I like big guns when my friend's got the Peacemaker, so I just suppress and get all the aggro with the Spitfire, he gets the speed boost while being near me as they fire at me and then just charges right in.

Or, when I'm feeling extra good and he's got a Longbow - I literally just charge in with a Wingman while he smokes and provides overwatch.

I love how many ways of dealing with situations there are in this.

This game is pretty fun and fresh but I liked the TTK and weapons in blackout better at this point. I'd say about 75% of the guns in the game aren't even worth picking up, even in the early game, while in Blackout I won a game with just the semi-auto pistol (strife) because it actually does damage comparative to the enemy health. The elements surrounding the gun game are really good though. The UI, inventory management, pings, dialogue, and all that are super cool. Like armor in blackout, I don't know if I even care to have shields/armor in these games, just makes the fights a chore. I know they probably won't change something that substantial though.
Sorry, I disagree about the weapons. I've won two matches with just using the basic semi-auto pistol. Good usage of the grenades and a steady hand aiming for headshots rocks.

The only weapon I've not used past the first round is the auto shotgun, that's one weapon I don't like the feel of.

I can't say much about the armor though from the receiving end. I always make sure to keep it full, so I don't know how it feels to be without it in fights.

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Is there a level up reward list? I'm 22 now but got no loot box, is this the area where you don't get them every level anymore?

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
This is the first BR game that has captured my attention. The movement and gunplay feel basically perfect to me and I love how the game stresses team play and MY GOD the ping system was sent straight from heaven hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.