• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
at this point one shold expect not to be able to get everything in games like this.

at least it's f2p so a gatcha economy like that is understandable..what is not understandeable is when shit like this is on retail, full price games

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine still playing Apex in August 2019.

364.jpg

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
A friend of mine, who's fallen into the vicious cycle of the battle pass and who doesn't play anything else because, and I quote: "I must complete the battle pass", told me that there are new skins and stuff to acquire. My understand before I was told was that those EVENT SKINS where locked behind some cool EVENT CHALLENGES, but locking them behind loot boxes you not even earn every level up, is so boring, uninspired, blatant and more lazy like the first battle pass.

Oct 26, 2017
I love how some people think F2P meas right to do whatever you want.

It's their own game, there are plenty of F2P that work like that, there are plenty of F2P-P2W games and there are Premium games using F2P monetization scheme. They have the right to do whatever they want, if you don't like what they are doing don't play the game, it's simple, i give 0 fucks about cosmetics, when they add P2W stuff i'll grab my pitchfork and be mad as well, but right now i couldn't give a fuck about skins.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I would have spent way more money if I'd be able to buy what I want.

Sadly I already got bored at lvl 30 of the new Season.

I don't know if I'll go back the next time.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yes? It's their own game, there are plenty of F2P that work like that, there are plenty of F2P-P2W games and there are Premium games using F2P monetization scheme. They have the right to do whatever they want, if you don't like what they are doing don't play the game, it's simple, i give 0 fucks about cosmetics, when they add P2W stuff i'll grab my pitchfork and be mad as well, but right now i couldn't give a fuck about skins.

There's a moral question behind lootboxes in video games, especially expensive/manipulative ones such as these. You can disagree that it's in fact an issue based on your own beliefs or research, but the fact of the matter is that it's a questionable practice at best.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
To everyone saying things like "It is f2p. They are cosmetics. What's the big deal?" The big deal is that it locks enjoyment behind a paywall. It encourages high spending. It turns gaming into a compulsion for some people. Heck, kids call one another "Default" as a playground slur because they can't afford to buy Fortnite skins. The long & short is that it feels grimy and discourages enjoyment.

Oct 26, 2017
There's a moral question behind lootboxes in video games. You can disagree that it's in fact an issue based on your own beliefs or research, but the fact of the matter is that it's a questionable practice at best.

If you find it questionable i can agree with you, but honestly i don't care, i mean, it's not affecting me in a way or another as long as they are doing only skins and cosmetics.
I've been playing Apex since the launch and i didn't buy Battlepasses or skins, i only care about playing the actual game instead of dressing Wraith, Octane or friends.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
To everyone saying things like "It is f2p. They are cosmetics. What's the big deal?" The big deal is that it locks enjoyment behind a paywall. It encourages high spending. It turns gaming into a compulsion for some people. Heck, kids call one another "Default" as a playground slur because they can't afford to buy Fortnite skins. The long & short is that it feels grimy and discourages enjoyment.

What the fuck? This true?

If you find it questionable i can agree with you, but honestly i don't care, i mean, it's not affecting me in a way or another as long as they are doing only skins and cosmetics.
I've been playing Apex since the launch and i didn't buy Battlepasses or skins, i only care about playing the actual game instead of dressing Wraith, Octane or friends.

Not to sound harsh here, but no one is asking if you care. They're saying their personal opinions on the matter. For you to just shut them down with your own opinion treated as fact is disingenuous.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
when i was first reading about it i thought oh 24 items, 3 per box, no dupes that's not too bad...

then i learned it was one item per box and it was 700 coins per box. the game gives you two for free, so you have to spend 22*700 = 15,400 coins if you want to unlock 24 items.

on top of that you have to unlock all 24 items to get the privilege to spend 3500 on the bloodhound heirloom.

so anyone who wants to unlock all the items must spend at least 18,900 apex coins.

L
U
L

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Cosmetics and aesthetics are still very important, people like to look good and it feels good to look good. I still don't know how people can excuse this just because they personally don't care. The reason why they're so profitable is because people do care, it's a part of our psychology that pleases us when we look good and show off to others who see us. It makes no sense that people say cosmetics are fine to monetize because they don't matter, when cosmetics consistently make so much revenue because of how much they do matter. Just because it's they don't gate you from game mechanics does not mean they don't matter.

Remember kids, Respawn were supposedly free to make whatever kind of game they wanted, and this is what they made

Just because Respawn wanted to make a BR doesn't mean EA can't take advantage of it and demand more revenue from Respawn without them being the ones to push Respawn into making a BR. These are not the same things.

Capricorn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They seem to be following the same model Rainbow Six: Siege uses for its events, so it's nothing new.

I'd prefer having dupes but being able to earn more lootboxes via regular gameplay like with Overwatch, I really hate the way Ubi does this on Siege so I hope it doesn't catch on :(

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's a f2p game. it's supposed to lock enjoyment behind a payment, either of time or money.

it's still predatory, but i understand that games can't be made for free and money has to come from somewhere to fund development.

you don't go into a gatcha game aiming to get every little new character,same logic aplies here with these skins

different matter when the game is retail price and they try to extort money on top of that

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Jason Schreier could ask someone if Respawn or EA are to blame. Because I doubt that EA has so much control, with Respawn they basically let them do whatever they want. Respawn chose a release date for Titanfall 2, Respawn chose to make Apex, Respawn chose to use UE4 in their new game instead of Frostbite.

Maybe Respawn are greedy, not EA.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Haha that's not that accurate. People are called defaults in reference to them being noobs-- first time players will have the default skin. In most Fortnite games, people with default skins are first time players who play very poorly and trying to figure out how to build a basic box.

No one says anything if you unlock the free skins, as it shows you are experienced. Anyways, yes these practices are predatory, but default is just a way to call someone a noob

Oct 25, 2017
The big problem with the monetization here is that there's almost nothing to be gained from playing. It's entirely about giving EA money.

This game's battle pass is doing F2P monetization right. You have 110 levels of battle pass to get, but getting all of them requires a heavy time investment. But by buying the premium pass with 25 extra levels for 20 extra bucks you can make it easier for yourself. 30 dollars for a level boosted battle pass is not an unreasonable amount of money to spend on a free game that you enjoy playing.

This iron crown event has none of that. It's all about giving EA money and you have to give them a ridiculous amount of it too. You gain very little from playing the game. This isn't how you keep players interested.

Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck? This true?

Not to sound harsh here, but no one is asking if you care. They're saying their personal opinions on the matter. For you to just shut them down with your own opinion treated as fact is disingenuous.

I'm not shutting down anyone lol
I'm sharing my opinion on the matter, i didn't say you should not be mad about monetization in Apex Legends at all.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
This is why I still play Overwatch and don't still play Apex:

Overwatch will give you 1 lootbox, every level, forever.
Apex stops arbitrarily at some point.

The OW levels don't infinitely and exponentially increase in XP or anything, either. No bullshit. The Apex system is fucking shameless, it's like they think we are blind.
Overwatch also gives you boxes for a lot of other things. Role lock introduced box rewards for playing roles that are scarce atm, you can get 3 boxes per week winning arcade games, you get boxes for your endorsement level, you get 1 box for free every event.

To be fair though, Overwatch is also a paid game.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018

Exactly, it's encouraging high-spending by artificially locking content behind paid RNG, cosmetic or not. It's purely targeted at susceptible people.

Oct 26, 2017
Game being F2P doesn't mean they get to do this shitty thing and it's "excused" because it's a F2P game. That's straight up bollocks mate

I said that i don't care about how they are monetizing their own game because this is not affecting me, if this affects you, you have every right to be mad, i'm not saying you shouldn't not care like me.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Takes them this long to introduce solo mode (where the fuck is duo? Dumbasses)

Only to introduce it for a limited time

Time for us to accept that they might have just gotten lucky making a decent br rather than having any idea how to draw people in. Enough excuses for respawn. Apex slowly dying due to their failure to keep people in.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly how Siege's cosmetic events work, isn't it? No dupes but you only get one or two free rolls?

But Siege is a protected game here on Era
Everything is cosmetic in Overwatch too, but those lootboxes aren't seven goddamn dollars and they let you get them through playing a reasonable amount of time.

Probably higher quality stuff, too, based on what I've seen of the Apex cosmetics.
Both suck tbh. You get shit for chracters you don't want and they have a lot of garbage filling the loot pool including getting rewarded coins/crafting mats. I'd argue Apex is worse since they have MORE crap (kill lines, poses, banners, who cares?) and their highest quality skins are still mostly garbage.

Honestly I feel like half the reason there is outrage is they finally added cool looking skins and they made them hard to get.

What the fuck. Imagine not being able to get cosmetics in a F2P game "locking enjoyment" Is this what gaming in 2019 is now? Just play the damn game, its a first person shooter, who cares how your dude looks, you can't even see it!

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
it's a f2p game. it's supposed to lock enjoyment behind a payment, either of time or money.

it's still predatory, but i understand that games can't be made for free and money has to come from somewhere to fund development.

you don't go into a gatcha game aiming to get every little new character,same logic aplies here with these skins

different matter when the game is retail price and they try to extort money on top of that

I appreciate that you recognize the practice is predatory and I agree that these things cost money. My issue is that there are large industry players now that are building their contribution to the hobby of video gaming on these predatory practices. It isn't healthy for gamers & it won't be healthy for gaming in the long run.

Getting way outside the scope of this thread now but I have a difficult time seeing how these sorts of monetization practices can't help but cause some sort of crash in the industry.