• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
YF5vDiH.jpg

I wanted to highlight the fantastic art direction that's come together within the newest map in Apex Legends. I think this games artwork, particularly in olympus is tremendously well composed. This could easily be the setting for a much richer sci-fi game like The Outer Worlds or another game of that kind.

I think the art and design of multiplayer spaces is something that's actually very underappreciated. Folks write lengthy essays about the design of singleplayer titles, even a middling singleplayer platformer will have a tonne of analysis videos and critique, but the design of multiplayer games tends to be taken for granted.

I think they come with particular challenges too, which make good design in this space particularly remarkable. Most notably balancing aesthetic and function can be quite difficult. Even small details that look pleasant conceptually, can end up being a significant frustration for players.

Also, when you create a singleplayer game, you have a lot of control of what happens to the player and the experience they have. In multiplayer, you're only able to influence it, with the behaviour determined by the interactions between players. So designing creative spaces with this in mind, can be challenging, particularly when you're balancing the aforementioned aesthetic and function.

In any case, Apex Legends has a new mode that lets you walk around the map freely. It's a great opportunity to explore, and I used it to grab some screenshots of various areas of the new map. I'm really blown away by it. I've placed each screenshot inside of a spoiler tag so as not to overwhelm the page, along with a little description of that area of the game.

Similar to the shot at the top this mountain style structure is the centre piece of Olmypus. I'd say this ends up being one of the most active hotspots on the map, with players coming from all directions.

zCTEOa7.jpg

Interiors are equally pleasant and detailed, with fictional branding and artwork dotted around the walls.

J9KwxCZ.jpg

The map really pops with all the bright colours, and the bright orange zone actually feels like it compliments this aesthetic.

4vgyUL1.jpg

This industrial styled area makes for some interesting fights as it provides players with a tonne of different surfaces to climb and navigate.

sKJsqru.jpg

There's some crazy sci-fi stuff going on here too. This location is simply called rift, and while I'm not sure of the lore, it looks like this area is being torn apart by some kind of black hole.

VQguOxC.jpg

The skybox is particularly beautiful too, and as the map features a city that floats high in the clouds, you'll find clouds both above and below.

CkeyZkN.jpg

There's some interstellar / Halo style gravity manipulation stuff going on here too. Though I must admit I found it a little disappointing that players can't run on these surfaces.

ZBjTvmx.jpg

The bright colours of the outdoors are offset by these bleak, darker interiors. The oranges and yellows really pop in these areas though, sitting against the deeper blues.

mINDKkv.jpg

The map is pretty large too, and as such this portal helps players get around quickly.

MG5BJoa.jpg

I took many more but I found that these were the most interesting of the lot. It's a shame that Apex doesn't have a no HUD mode, so these shots are cluttered by the user interface, but none the less I found myself surprised by how pleasant this games aesthetic was. I'm a long time Apex player too, but I think Respawn have really upped there game here. I'd love to see a singleplayer game within this space in the future.

There's some nice HUD free shots on Respawns on website too for those that might like to see more. I just like showing this from the players perspective, as those pre-release images often have things looking a little better than they do in-game. Nonetheless, I think Respawn have really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Was playing yesterday and it's pretty cool. Was confused at first when I couldn't hurt anyone and thought the game was glitched/hacked but then realized it's a preview event so it's just about running laps and learning the rings lol.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Apex is probably my favorite BR this gen.

Can't wait to try it on PS5. Wish they supported 120fps on next gen though. Map looks pretty cool.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Was playing yesterday and it's pretty cool. Was confused at first when I couldn't hurt anyone and thought the game was glitched/hacked but then realized it's a preview event so it's just about running laps and learning the rings lol.

Yeah that's actually an interesting user experience issue. I didn't have that experience myself but I knew about the new exploration focused LTM before I booted up the game. I wonder how many other players booted up the game and found themselves confused by the default activity not allowing you to kill other players.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I've strongly considered re-installing Apex just to get a taste of this map. It really looks amazing and my friends are raving about it.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Apex is probably my favorite BR this gen.

Can't wait to try it on PS5. Wish they supported 120fps on next gen though. Map looks pretty cool.

Have Respawn / EA mentioned a PS5 / Series X patch? Would love one

Apex has an unlocked frame rate so I'm hoping just playing it on PS5 via BC it'll be locked 60?

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It was titanfall 3 concept, makes me wanna cry TF3 isn't a thing.
www.google.com

Apex Legends' newest map was a Titanfall 3 concept

It's hard to believe it's been four years since Titanfall 2 was released, but that's the milestone Respawn's beloved sc…

I'd love to see a more open Titanfall style game that took some of the learnings of the map design in Apex Legends. While I really like all of Titanfall 2 I think the wall-running stuff is most fun when you have many options in locations like angel city. It could be great to explore a space like Olympus with that kind of movement (though obviously it would need to be redesigned with wall-running in mind).

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Its a great map and finally feels like a worthy sci-fi setting. I feel like I could play an RPG or something on it.

Im not the biggest Apex fan for BR, so it feels wasted for me, but its great

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks awesome. I'm kinda done with Apex now, bit maybe a nextgen update could pull me back in.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great post.

I'm also really loving the new map. Feels very different than King's Canyon or World's Edge. Really emphasizes the 'multi-world' aspect of the universe. I especially love how the artificial plates that make up the world and grass areas are visible.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Most of the coolest stuff here is just straight out of Titanfall 2.

Y'all really need to play Titanfall 2.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Hard agree, OP. Olympus blows KC and WE out of the water imo. Respawn really nailed it here. The interiors alone are more intricate and varied than the previous two maps combined. I adore the lighting. Sliding down fields of flowers and waving grass with your squad feels amazing.

It's my most played game this gen, maybe ever. I play almost every day.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Most of the coolest stuff here is just straight out of Titanfall 2.

Y'all really need to play Titanfall 2.

I played a tonne of Titanfall 2 but it's a lot less upbeat than this art direction. More akin to the older Apex maps like the original Kings Canyon and Worlds Edge.

This one in particular looks like it takes a little inspiration from the 'beacon' mission, but on the whole I much prefer Apex's aesthetic to that of Titanfall.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Can't wait to hop in when this comes to Switch! Sucks to hear that we are missing out on a SP Titanfall experience in favor of this, but at least it saw the light of day somehow.

This could easily be the setting for a much richer sci-fi game like The Other Worlds or another game of that kind.

You've heard of the Outer Worlds

may have even confused it for The Outer Wilds

but now get ready for...

The Other Worlds!

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to hop in when this comes to Switch! Sucks to hear that we are missing out on a SP Titanfall experience in favor of this, but at least it saw the light of day somehow.

You've heard of the Outer Worlds

may have even confused it for The Outer Wilds

but now get ready for...

The Other Worlds!

Haha my bad :)

The Other Worlds sounds like an alright video game title though. I'd play it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I would start playing this game

Does this support cross save and cross buy? If I like this maybe I would buy the champion bundle with all legends, but don't know if they are going to be unlocked on xbox if I buy them on PC

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I would start playing this game

Does this support cross save and cross buy? If I like this maybe I would buy the champion bundle with all legends, but don't know if they are going to be unlocked on xbox if I buy them on PC

Sadly no cross save or cross progression.

It has cross play though. So you could play on PS4/PS5 and play with people on PC or vice versa. Also, the PS4/5 versions will cross save (obviously) so you could play now on PS4.

The screenshots in the OP are from a PS4 Pro, so it does look good there, I think.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly no cross save or cross progression.

It has cross play though. So you could play on PS4/PS5 and play with people on PC or vice versa. Also, the PS4/5 versions will cross save (obviously) so you could play now on PS4.

The screenshots in the OP are from a PS4 Pro, so it does look good there, I think.

That sucks

Cross Buy was maybe to much to ask, but dont know why cross progress isnt possible

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
More games are skipping 1080p/120fps modes than I expected, but maybe I expected too much.

I suspect that they would want to keep things fair for console players. For me that's the point of playing on console. An even competitive playing field for all (or close enough). From what I've read they'll be doing 1440p/60fps but will be considering other performance upgrades later down the road.

At the launch of next-gen systems it might be prudent to keep the PS5 version running at 60 FPS, as the majority of their player base will still be on PS4. Later on, as most of the community moves forward, they could allow for higher framerates.

Just a guess.

That sucks

Cross Buy was maybe to much to ask, but dont know why cross progress isnt possible

Probably very possible, it's likely that it's not a priority right now as they are focused on other things.

If I were to guess, they might want to get the game up and running on all target platforms first (Switch and mobile are still coming), then they can start thinking more seriously about cross progression between all of those devices.

www.dexerto.com

Respawn looking at options for Apex Legends Cross-Progression - Dexerto

Respawn have confirmed they are considering their "options" for Apex Legends cross-progression ahead of the game's launch on Steam.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I suspect that they would want to keep things fair for console players. For me that's the point of playing on console. An even competitive playing field for all (or close enough). From what I've read they'll be doing 1440p/60fps but will be considering other performance upgrades later down the road.

At the launch of next-gen systems it might be prudent to keep the PS5 version running at 60 FPS, as the majority of their player base will still be on PS4. Later on, as most of the community moves forward, they could allow for higher framerates.

Just a guess.
When you already have crossplay with PC, 60 vs 120 on console and both people have controllers isn't going to move mountains.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
When you already have crossplay with PC, 60 vs 120 on console and both people have controllers isn't going to move mountains.

They have no cross play with PC for controller players. Partially for the reason you describe. Playing against players with higher framerates is an unfair advantage. That's a big problem on Warzone with folks migrating to PC for an easier time against console players.

Izkda

Oct 25, 2017
It looks beautiful, but I don't know if It's good gameplaywise.
It's easy to fall off the map (especially with the new legend) and I'm finding quite hard to pinpoint where the enemy is vertically with the audio

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It looks beautiful, but I don't know if It's good gameplaywise.
It's easy to fall off the map (especially with the new legend) and I'm finding quite hard to pinpoint where the enemy is vertically with the audio

I like it a lot personally. I think it's a good balance between the design of Worlds Edge and Kings Canyon.

I think pinpointing audio vertically has always been a problem in Apex. But it's better here than on Worlds Edge because Worlds Edge had this problem of having 3-5 story buildings. So that meant that there were always so many possibilities as to which floor an enemy might be on. For the most part, Olympus is much flatter, more akin to the map design in Kings Canyon in that regard.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
They have no cross play with PC for controller players. Partially for the reason you describe. Playing against players with higher framerates is an unfair advantage. That's a big problem on Warzone with folks migrating to PC for an easier time against console players.

What do you mean? I just played with a friend on playstation using controller and me on PC using mouse. Or did I misunderstood you?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
it's super awesome and my favorite map. lots of fun hiding spaces, and neat attention to detail. plus, verticality! and it does it without explicitly feeling like 'video game map' like king's canyon or world's edge.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Haven't played Apex for a long time, but this map is really nice.

The buildings and grass stuff reminds me of all the pre-fabricated housing in Titanfall 2's

Housing construction plant level

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got back into this game, and I actually still really enjoy it. I only played a bit on the new map, but it seemed solid. I was especially a fan of how big some of the interiors were in the area I dropped in

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I recently got back into this game, and I actually still really enjoy it. I only played a bit on the new map, but it seemed solid. I was especially a fan of how big some of the interiors were in the area I dropped in

Yeah I just came back after a really long time and the gameplay loop is still fun as it was back then. Good game.

RebelDeux

Nov 20, 2017
It reminds me a bit of Titanfall (duh) and Halo, the map looks great and this game is just my favorite BR, easy to understand, great controls and awesome characters to choose.