• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Update 3: yet another new high today (13 Mar) at 218477

Update 2: another new high at 208,209 (7th Mar)

Update: new high again at 202,761 (6th Mar)
steamdb.info

Apex Legends · Apex Legends™ · AppID: 1172470

Apex Legends is the award-winning, free-to-play Hero shooter from Respawn Entertainment. Master an ever-growing roster of legendary characters with powerful abilities and experience strategic squad play and innovative gameplay in the next evolution of Hero Shooter and Battle Royale. Apex Legends...

Original:
Apex Legends has hit an all-new concurrent user peak on Steam.

The free-to-play battle royale game - which released on Steam in November 2020 after almost 18-months as an EA Origin exclusive - hit 198,235 simultaneous players on Steam yesterday, its highest ever concurrent user peak according to SteamDB (thanks, Dexerto).

Last edited:

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
This is the first season I'm determined to hit 110 in. So nice to have this on Steam instead of origin lol.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Any particular reason why? I know the game is getting really popular in Japan but is there anything else recently going on besides the new Hero?

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Deserved. Game feels so much better to play now compared to earlier seasons, the only thing that's needed are Rampart buffs.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Any particular reason why? I know the game is getting really popular in Japan but is there anything else recently going on besides the new Hero?
There's an anniversary event going, but also the game is probably in the best general spot it's ever been. Weapon meta is varied, and a lot of the legends have been balanced well. There are still some issues, but by and large it's at its best right now.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
The first and only BR I've played. Started playing a few weeks ago and have put a ton of hours into it.

I can't see myself going on to play it for several months and years, but it's one of the few multiplayer shooters I've gotten into.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who started playing this recently, I couldn't live without the Mozambique on the first 2 minutes

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
What is going on as part of the event rn that will end when the event does? Locked and Loaded will leave and we go back to naked drops?
Locked and Loaded. Honestly, I can't go back to naked drops. It's just so fun playing the mode as I can concentrate on looking and fighting enemy teams, instead of searching for loots.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Locked and Loaded. Honestly, I can't go back to naked drops. It's just so fun playing the mode as I can concentrate on looking and fighting enemy teams, instead of searching for loots.
Agreed. Hopefully they let it stay. I feel like I waste my time when I drop and get owned because some got lucky on what crate they opened. Mozambique at least gives you a fair shot.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely think they need to take a real hard look at their loot system and straight up eliminate white gear.

It is such a drag on naked drops, the Anni event feels so much more fun and freeing.

They have the most incredibly loot dense game on the market and that's fine, but just peeling back that one little layer won't hurt anything.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Deserved! I've never played a game for this many hours for such a long time. They make lots of great changes every season, and the rare time they don't...they are quick to react.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Hopefully they let it stay. I feel like I waste my time when I drop and get owned because some got lucky on what crate they opened. Mozambique at least gives you a fair shot.

I fee like Mozambique just makes me really annoyed more than I would otherwise because it makes me feel like I have a chance but honestly it sometimes just does absolutely nothing. Like someone, right in front of me, that I shoot, moving straight at me, as I continue to shoot, just doesn't take damage. It's not my connection or anything else because no other weapon does that to me. It's so annoying. I feel like it happens enough times that I think man, if I'd just had no weapon at all and could just run and punch them I'd have a so much better shot.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I haven't played in over a year. What's the difference in how it plays?

As someone mentioned earlier, legends and weapons are well balanced so there's ton of variety in meta right now. They changed the ranked system to make it less punishing and there are only Evo shields now in the game and you spawn with one that you level up by damaging or grabbing another rarity of Evo.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I dropped Apex 6 or so months after it released. I enjoyed the game so I'm not really sure why I stopped playing. It sounds like now might be a good time to check it out again.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
As someone mentioned earlier, legends and weapons are well balanced so there's ton of variety in meta right now. They changed the ranked system to make it less punishing and there are only Evo shields now in the game and you spawn with one that you level up by damaging or grabbing another rarity of Evo.
Apparentl I've forgotten everything. I don't even know what Evo shields are.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played in over a year. What's the difference in how it plays?

Keep in mind the spawning with an evo shield is temporary for the anniversary event.

Just think shields. Like armor.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I should really try the game out, but part of me is holding out for the PlayStation version to add gyro aiming.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They'd get me back if they fixed their dreadful servers. Not going to commit to the game when it constantly bounces between 30-150 ping at a second's notice.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Afew seasons ago, armor "evolved" with the more damage you did. White would evolve to blue, blue to purple, and then purple to red. Golds didn't evolve, but obviously had boons of their own.

The reason was to force players to actively engage instead of just hiding out.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It is but if you don't have a shield, you can still get a regular level 1 evo by dealing 50 damage.

Oh is that a new thing? I started last season and just kind of assumed that was always there.

I recently re downloaded it on Xbox. Really should give it a go again.

I play on Xbox with my friends on PC. Wanted to go for the achievements. Had a great time. Worth buying the big ol pack that I think normally is $40, but you can get on sale for $30 quite often. Being able to jump in and play a lot of different characters are great, and it'll mean the currency you gain to buy a hero can go towards whatever new character shows up. It's also great because the pack gives you all currently available characters, not just the initial available 8. Which is super great because the newest guy, Fuse, is a lot of fun. Been playing a lot of Horizon recently too and she's really great.

I'm just having a lot of fun with it all around. I feel like I can pick any character I'm feeling and have fun.

EDIT: Oh wait it's on sale for $28 right now for the next uhhhh 24+ hours? New sales start tuesday so till then.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Game looks so much fun, but I hate that I can't play it solo, I'm not that social to play it with strangers all the time.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Keep in mind the spawning with an evo shield is temporary for the anniversary event.

Just think shields. Like armor.

ed1VvRv.png

I was talking about this. My bad for not clarifying.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Oh is that a new thing? I started last season and just kind of assumed that was always there.

I play on Xbox with my friends on PC. Wanted to go for the achievements. Had a great time. Worth buying the big ol pack that I think normally is $40, but you can get on sale for $30 quite often. Being able to jump in and play a lot of different characters are great, and it'll mean the currency you gain to buy a hero can go towards whatever new character shows up. It's also great because the pack gives you all currently available characters, not just the initial available 8. Which is super great because the newest guy, Fuse, is a lot of fun. Been playing a lot of Horizon recently too and she's really great.

I'm just having a lot of fun with it all around. I feel like I can pick any character I'm feeling and have fun.

EDIT: Oh wait it's on sale for $28 right now for the next uhhhh 24+ hours? New sales start tuesday so till then.
That's tempting. Thanks!
Afew seasons ago, armor "evolved" with the more damage you did. White would evolve to blue, blue to purple, and then purple to red. Golds didn't evolve, but obviously had boons of their own.

The reason was to force players to actively engage instead of just hiding out.
Ah I see. That's pretty neat.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
ed1VvRv.png

I was talking about this. My bad for not clarifying.

I genuinely didn't know this was always there. It seems like such a good, nobrainer design decision. When I noticed it in the UI i was like...oh but of course Respawn would think of that. That's a good mechanic.

That's tempting. Thanks!

NP.

Seriously crossplay is such a wonderful thing for this. I never feel at a disadvantage against PC players with a controller.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely didn't know this was always there. It seems like such a good, nobrainer design decision. When I noticed it in the UI i was like...oh but of course Respawn would think of that. That's a good mechanic.

NP.

Seriously crossplay is such a wonderful thing for this. I never feel at a disadvantage against PC players with a controller.
Nice. Gonna have to talk my buddy into getting it with me.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Getting back into the game made me rewatch the Giantbomb video when Apex was first unveiled and they were experiencing it for the first time (well, Brad had played it, but Jeff and Ben were seeing it fresh).

It was not only a bit nostalgic seeing the original King's Canyon map, it also was a stark reminder just how flat the UI used to look, and all the mechanics Apex brought that now just seem like no-brainers.

I had legit forgotten that Apex was the first BR game (that I'm aware of) to include a respawn mechanic. I just remember playing Fortnite, and once you were out, you were out. But things like that, the contextualized ping system, etc. It's incredible to think that that stuff wasn't there before, and the game is only two years old. Going back to Overwatch after Apex came out made it feel just so primitive.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Getting back into the game made me rewatch the Giantbomb video when Apex was first unveiled and they were experiencing it for the first time (well, Brad had played it, but Jeff and Ben were seeing it fresh).

It was not only a bit nostalgic seeing the original King's Canyon map, it also was a stark reminder just how flat the UI used to look, and all the mechanics Apex brought that just seem like no-brainers.

I had legit forgotten that Apex was the first BR game (that I'm aware of) to include a respawn mechanic. I just remember playing Fortnite, and once you were out, you were out. But things like that, the contextualized ping system, etc. It's incredible to think that that stuff wasn't there before, and the game is only two years old. Going back to Overwatch after Apex came out made it feel just so primitive.

Thank you for this. I never actually was tuned in much when it came out. Interested to see the initial impressions.

StringM

Feb 7, 2019
Game looks so much fun, but I hate that I can't play it solo, I'm not that social to play it with strangers all the time.
This is honestly the only reason I don't play Apex that much. For me at least, it just doesn't feel right to play BR with people you aren't correctly communicating with.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly the only reason I don't play Apex that much. For me at least, it just doesn't feel right to play BR with people you aren't correctly communicating with.

While it is so much better with people. You will absolutely find games with people you just vibe with. The ping system is great. Sometimes duos can be better solo.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

Now add time penalties to quitters, it's fucking annoying when they get dropped and insta-quit right after, but not before finding out they actually had a mic that they only use to whine about the team being trash. Fuck off, seriously.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Apex is amazing, I switched over to pc and put a day into the game again after a week and a half. I'd still say that it's my favorite BR, it just does everything so right and it's mechanics are still well thought out and beyond other titles. A well deserved success

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I know a lot of the Destiny pvp community is picking up Apex recently. Surely somewhere in the mix of MAU are a bunch of us from Destiny 2 As of recent.