• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
great, now make Titanfall 3.

eh, i'm resigned to the fact that they don't give a shit about titanfall anymore with how big a cash cow apex has become.

the original was getting DDOSed to hell and respawn failed to address it. instead of fixing it, they just gave up and removed the game from sale.
at least northstar exists for titanfall 2, no thanks to respawn.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did some basic division and that's the equivalent of selling 33.3m $60 games. Impressive stuff and it will still keep going strong for the foreseeable future.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Respawn is too nice to tell you all this so I might as well. No gives a shit about TF aside from a very small number of people who are VERY vocal online. And that number is so small that the people who control the purse strings are not gonna green light a sequel.

If they couldnt give enough of a fuck to get TF2 back working again, they certainly arent gonna pour tens of millions of dollars into making a new one.

So please stop shitting up every Apex thread with "make Tf3 plox". "Why are they making billions when they could be losing money" isnt as compelling an argument as you think it is.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Well deserved. I can't stand playing Warzone without an FOV slider so i've been on Apex heavy for the last couple months. If Warzone 2 has an fov slider i'll likely be back to that but Apex is just pure fun.

Ranked is still terrible though

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like development has slowed down for apex? Dunno, maybe just a feeling and not actually backed by anything, but there used to be a lot of modes and such every couple of months.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Respawn is too nice to tell you all this so I might as well. No gives a shit about TF aside from a very small number of people who are VERY vocal online. And that number is so small that the people who control the purse strings are not gonna green light a sequel.

If they couldnt give enough of a fuck to get TF2 back working again, they certainly arent gonna pour tens of millions of dollars into making a new one.

So please stop shitting up every Apex thread with "make Tf3 plox". "Why are they making billions when they could be losing money" isnt as compelling an argument as you think it is.

Honestly, I think any future for "Titanfall 3" is an Apex Legends co-op campaign experience that includes titans, either standalone or as an add-on purchase in the game client.

Apex Legends is an expansion of the Titanfall lore, and its characters, all while being infinitely more successful than the franchise ever was. People just have to make peace with that at some point.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think any future for "Titanfall 3" is an Apex Legends co-op campaign experience that includes titans, either standalone or as an add-on purchase in the game client.

Apex Legends is an expansion of the Titanfall lore, and its characters, all while being infinitely more successful than the franchise ever was. People just have to make peace with that at some point.
Yep, the only reason the bulk of people know who Blisk and Ash are is because of Apex.

And honestly? It's better than them not knowing at all...

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Neat, but I can't help but feel that the lootboxes and fomo driven monetisation strategies make me hesitant to celebrate this success. I love Apex and I love the games that Respawn make but I wish they weren't always pushing people towards purchases with such unpleasant strategies.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Yeah, Titanfall is dead. The only way it comes back is as an expansion to Apex Legends somehow; like a mini single player mode or something along those lines. As soon as both Apex and Fallen Order did well, Titanwell which was already dying got essentially buried. They might dig it up to wave it around a bit, Weekend at Bernies style, but theres no life there.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
And.Genshin Impact gained 3. Companies should learn their lesson and see that F2P and crossplay is the future. Dunno why games like FF14 and ESO and WoW are not F2p or fully F2P and still needing monthly subscriptions to continue playing even after buying the main game. PUBG got the snap out of it very very late eventhough it was one of the first BR games.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this game supposed to be on mobile this month?

And.Genshin Impact gained 3. Companies should learn their lesson and see that F2P and crossplay is the future. Dunno why games like FF14 and ESO and WoW are not F2p or fully F2P and still needing monthly subscriptions to continue playing even after buying the main game. PUBG got the snap out of it very very late eventhough it was one of the first BR games.
Well, you only need to buy Elder Scrolls online once. There is no monthly unless you want the plus benefits. I bought the latest edition on the game for 12 dollars.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The impressive part is that its a reworked spin off of a failed multiplayer game.
And without any titan that was unique to the franchise. Same how Fortnite partially ditched the building mode that made it unique in favor of no building (or more called noobuiliding) and attracted more players.

Isn't this game supposed to be on mobile this month?

Yes more players and thus more money incoming.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well, you only need to buy Elder Scrolls online once. There is no monthly unless you want the plus benefits. I bought the latest edition on the game for 12 dollars.

I know that is why I said the base games should be free but the extras should cost like what F2P games do. The more people you attract, the more chances you gain more money from those who may be willing to pay for those if they find the game interesting. That is why big games should be all F2P and extras should have a cost. You see how successful games like Fortnite Apex and Genshin are right now. Their profit alone is bigger than the value of some entire companies haha.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that Titanfall never got the success that Apex got. I guess we live in a world that doesn't deserve a shooter as good as Titanfall. But I'm happy for the team to finally achieve the big financial success they've deserved for a long time now.

OP
OP
Tsuyu

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017

Genshin did $3b in about half the time ( launch was September 28th 2020 ) on mobile platforms not including PC & Playstation iirc.

It's a beast akin to the fortnite of gacha games ( Fortnite did $9b in 2 years ).

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Genshin did $3b in about half the time ( launch was September 28th 2020 ) on mobile platforms not including PC & Playstation iirc.

It's a beast akin to the fortnite of gacha games ( Fortnite did $9b in 2 years ).

Yeah indeed. Some devs learn too late. F2p + cross play + mobile day one mostly being fun is what is needed to succeed. Some become F2p when too late, others add crossplay too late and others support mobille late. I think REspawn reliazed that goo late to drop mobile version. XD
No wonder Genshin did beat them in no time.
Just do that formula day one.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
You mean during its first peak. Wait till you see charts and records after no build mode. I bet even Epic could not cope with that.

Apex could peak again after mobile version.

I guess I mean it's cultural peak. When Fortnite was arguably all anyone would tk about for 6+ months Not sure it can ever reach those highs again

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
They release new skins all the time so there's always something new for players to buy. It's the only free game I've dropped any money on.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I feel like development has slowed down for apex? Dunno, maybe just a feeling and not actually backed by anything, but there used to be a lot of modes and such every couple of months.

Nah, they are constantly balancing the game, and every now and then they add something like a limited time mode or new areas to current maps. I believe that it's just that they don't crunch, so they don't release stuff as often as other games.

I rather this be the case than crunching the devs.

Neat, but I can't help but feel that the lootboxes and fomo driven monetisation strategies make me hesitant to celebrate this success. I love Apex and I love the games that Respawn make but I wish they weren't always pushing people towards purchases with such unpleasant strategies.

I think Respawn has the least predatory systems of these F2P games

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I just need a 120fps mode on console - its just a bit too off(?) for me coming from playing Halo Infinite at that framerate.

Good on Respawn though - they are a powerhouse of efficiency and quality

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah indeed. Some devs learn too late. F2p + cross play + mobile day one mostly being fun is what is needed to succeed. Some become F2p when too late, others add crossplay too late and others support mobille late. I think REspawn reliazed that goo late to drop mobile version. XD
No wonder Genshin did beat them in no time.
Just do that formula day one.
I'm sure Respawn would have had the mobile version out earlier but they have resource constraints the chinese developers don't have. Tencent (Epic) had the staffing necessary for Fortnite and Mihoyo has like 600 folks working 100 hr weeks.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I may not have much time to play Apex anymore, but I'm really glad to see Respawn got a major win here. The game is great and deserves its success!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think Respawn has the least predatory systems of these F2P games

Strongly disagree. I think the loot boxes are fundamentally manipulative and the way it slowly starves players over time to incentivise loot box purchases is very poor practice.

Battle passes too, require a fair bit of time and rely on the fear of missing out.

Let's compare to say Bloodhunt, which has no loot boxes, a battle pass but one with fast progression, and I think Apex comes off very poorly.

I think this is also true when comparing to games like Fortnite too.

Obviously there are others like Call of Duty and FIFA which I think are worse as they have pay to win elements on top of the rest, but those are a problem too. Their existence doesn't excuse the games that are slightly less exploitative.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Strongly disagree. I think the loot boxes are fundamentally manipulative and the way it slowly starves players over time to incentivise loot box purchases is very poor practice.

Battle passes too, require a fair bit of time and rely on the fear of missing out.

Let's compare to say Bloodhunt, which has no loot boxes, a battle pass but one with fast progression, and I think Apex comes off very poorly.

Obviously there are others like Call of Duty and FIFA which I think are worse as they have pay to win elements on top of the rest, but those are a problem too. Their existence doesn't excuse the games that are slightly less exploitative.
Skins are very expensive too, and if you wan't to get new heirlooms when they come out you'll have to spend around 160$ per heirloom.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

I'm not too sure. Battlepasses usually work on FOMO but that's how it is. I stopped opening most of the loot boxes a some weeks ago (maybe two months at best?) and have about 30+ there, so I'm really not too sure about them having starving players to purchase them.

FOMO with Fortnite battle pass is much stronger. Because if you don't have it you're gonna basically miss the entire point of it being a platform for cross-media stuff. You can pick stuff to unlock which is cool, but it's still locked based on playing a lot and that's just the usual thing.

I have no idea about Bloodhunt so that's good at least.

I mean, it's not that Apex is super open with its stuff, just that it doesn't really pushes you to spend money. I have only spent on a battle pass several seasons ago and always get a lot of stuff plus the coins to renew the next pass, and it's been like 3 or 4 seasons in a row I haven't completed. Always have enough materials to craft a skin I really like, etc. Barely a splash screen that tells you to visit the store. Games like Fortnite reminds you quite often about how you can spend money in there.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I strongly despise the way Respawn handles the Apex stores bundling of content with often times the inability to separate purchases. Like here's a bundle, too bad that you only want the R-301 skin tough luck. You're getting a Bangalore skin with it. That's ~$22 (CAD).

amethyst-bundle.webp

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
GOAT BR and one of the all time great FPSes for sure. It's what I wish Halo could have evolved into, movement-wise.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Skins are very expensive too, and if you wan't to get new heirlooms when they come out you'll have to spend around 160$ per heirloom.

I think the skins are expensive, yeah. But I don't think it's fair to say that in itself is exploitative or manipulative. I think it's fair for developers to price skins however they wish.

The heirloom is in the same ballpark really for me. I think it is a little exploitative that it's tied behind $160 of loot boxes, but the price isn't as much of the issue as the loot boxes themselves here. Even if you are anti-loot boxes but just want to buy the heirloom at a fixed price you are still forced to spin the wheel some 15 times to get there.

Even players who are only interested in fixed-price items are still encouraged to go through a process akin to gambling, to get an heirloom.