• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
dotesports.com

Apex Legends hits $2 billion in earnings with continued growth

Apex continues to put up big numbers three years after release.

On the fourth quarter earnings call, Chris Suh, who is EA's CFO, reported to investors Apex continues to deliver mind-boggling gains for the company. Suh confirmed the game has now passed the $2 billion mark in total earnings, meaning the game has made about $2 billion in three years.
The game continues to grow at an alarming rate for a title that's been out for three years. In the last fiscal year, Suh reported Apex revenue had increased by 40% compared to the year before and that season 12 was the game's "most successful ever." Executives expect the franchise will eventually make a billion dollars a year.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, and the game pretty much shadow dropped with very little marketing. It's crazy what word of mouth tied to a good game can do.

Just wish they'd figure out a way to incorporate quads so I can get back into it without leaving someone from my group out. :(

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Apex is the rare example of a game coming in while another giant in the genre (Fortnite, kind of) was reigning and while another came along (Warzone) and still is extremely successful. What are the key reasons why? Besides being fun to play of course.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
well done. I remember it came out, was a nice fun surprise, played the shit out of it, and then it dipped for a while, but damn did it come back strong. mad props to the team.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Makes sense. I fell off of Warzone pretty hard and swapped over to Apex. Too many hackers, exploits, performance issues etc. on PC to really be worth playing, not to mention absolutely having to play within a really specific meta.

Apex just the best BR out there. I still have problems, but the game has polish for sure.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Respawn's resume is insane

Shit out a great battle royale that grossed $2 billion

Saved Star Wars video games

Fucking Titanfall 2

Insane

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they're lucky core gameplay is good enough to make up for their lack of content. The most recent season update is the lightest content wise in an entire year. Happy for the ranked changes tho

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I still think Apex is too unsatisfying because of the player count/third partying and Im still hoping they can incorporate a solo mode. There's an untapped market in solo mode

I like the map variety though.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Apex is the rare example of a game coming in while another giant in the genre (Fortnite, kind of) was reigning and while another came along (Warzone) and still is extremely successful. What are the key reasons why? Besides being fun to play of course.
Fun, on every platform, doesn't feel terribly monetized if youre f2p, consistent updates and variety. Steam support.

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
It's funny that the game where EA was the most hands off (reportedly) was the most successful

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
And this is why Ubisoft is shitting out all these GAAS games.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And this is why Ubisoft is shitting out all these GAAS games.

Yep.

I wonder what Respawn leaders do differently than others.

What a steal, Zampella must have got a hell of a loose contract and major bonuses. Funny as they couldn't get away from EA fast enough.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Think how much they've made in gaming through MOH, COD, Apex Legends etc. Insane streak.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
I think Apex's success can be pinned to how accessible it is for casuals while simultaneously being deep enough to capture a hardcore competitive audience.

It's kind of amazing how easy it is to jump into a match as a new player and have dumb fun while also offering unquestionably the highest skill ceiling of any BR currently out. They cater to both audiences extremely well (despite what both sides of the equation probably say about the other).

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
This is why I think most FPS games nowadays need a BR mode of some kind. It's like not having a death match mode back in the day.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
6fstiu.jpg

Raigor

May 14, 2020
they're lucky core gameplay is good enough to make up for their lack of content. The most recent season update is the lightest content wise in an entire year. Happy for the ranked changes tho

It's more than enough content when you factor that Respawn is also working on 4 other games instead of shutting down everything and only make content for Apex.

They don't have Epic Games or Warzone's support studios pumping content left and right.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more than enough content when you factor that Respawn is also working on 4 other games instead of shutting down everything and only make content for Apex.

They don't have Epic Games or Warzone's support studios pumping content left and right.

So? Im not asking for a Fortnite level content cadence, I'm asking for more content other than 1 POI change on an existing map and just a new legend.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
The casual FPS market is big enough for a couple of these big games to coexist. Many other genres are not this way.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
While i personally have barely played it, I do remember how hype the release of this was.
Just totally dropped live out of nowhere, no fanfare nothing and then just WHAM hit everyone like a storm

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Just a new legend" lol

Yes because creating a new character and balancing it with other 15 characters is nothing right?

Stop putting words into my mouth. I expressed that the content was lacking because compared to previous seasons, IT IS. Meanwhile they had a bunch of "please spend money" events in the last 6-8 weeks of the previous season that were basically nothing. I work in software development I know how the shit works. I still play the game and give them more than enough money habitually that doesnt mean that this seasons content isn't lacking compared to previous.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
The GOAT BR for me and mine. Everything feels so smooth - the TF dna is on full display and they at least put in real ass effort for balance...

poor lifeline tho - shafted hard this season lol