• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
They're using "gamers" in the same way those replies are using "developers". They don't mean every gamer.

The post is very, very clearly referring to gamers who've been sending them abuse.

It's like when someone uses "white people" to refer to some white people, and people just get so fixated on it, and use it to discredit the point the other person was trying to make.
giphy.gif

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Dude learn to seperate yourself from general consensus.
You haven't proven any general consensus that people wanted this game. In fact, I don't think this game is going to do all that well. Star Wars as a brand is not doing all that well. The first couple new movies did fine, but it's mostly been downhill since then.

So we'll compare numbers after this mediocre take hits the streets and see if it matches their projections, which are probably insane.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You haven't proven any general consensus that people wanted this game
Between the two demos of fallen order there are ten millions views on EA's official SW channel. The reveal trailer had 13 million views. It was one of the most praised games at e3. So much so that Era was an outlier when it came to the reception of the title.

In fact, I don't think this game is going to do all that well. Star Wars as a brand is not doing all that well.
wikipedian_protester.jpg

and no, the fandom menace aren't legit sources.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
The devs were right. You cant spew toxic commentary and then be upset and create news over people finally losing their cool in the most unoffensive way possible.
Entitled twats.

frugaljoker8

Mar 27, 2019
Between the two demos of fallen order there are ten millions views on EA's official SW channel. The reveal trailer had 13 million views. It was one of the most praised games at e3. So much so that Era was an outlier when it came to the reception of the title.

wikipedian_protester.jpg

and no, the fandom menace aren't legit sources.

The Fandom Menace is the biggest joke group of youtubers and this is coming from someone who loathes the new star wars. Fallen order will do fine, if there "SJW" hater fanbase doesn't buy it then they'll lose like 100 sales max.

Raidero

Mar 15, 2019
Gamers are fucking trash lol. Hopefully when the idiots getting upset by this grow up they'll cringe at how stupid they used to be.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They're using "gamers" in the same way those replies are using "developers". They don't mean every gamer.

The post is very, very clearly referring to gamers who've been sending them abuse.

It's like when someone uses "white people" to refer to some white people, and people just get so fixated on it, and use it to discredit the point the other person was trying to make.

They should just avoid the confusion and go with the much clearer to understand 'whypipo'!
Maybe we should go for 'gamerz' with the ironic z as well just to be extra clear!

benj

Oct 27, 2017
For those of you who don't visit the Apex Legends OT, Miles Davis has spent a lot of time there recently arguing that Apex Legends is probably failing terribly because people he knows do not like it right now. When people have shown him numbers about how well Apex Legends has been doing, he has dismissed them out of hand. Trying to convince him that his own attitudes toward something do not represent those of every other person in the world is maybe outside the scope of this thread.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Entitled gamers are the worst.
Still, I've never planned to spend a single penny on Apex, and after seeing this blowup I think I'll continue to freeload while also steering clear of the Reddit.

I like the game, but I'm not invested enough (emotionally or otherwise) to engage in this sort of debate.
Basically, I'm happy to remain a casual/ignorant player. Let me know if I'm wrong - I'm open to criticism of this stance.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think just everyone is looking stupid here. The bad PR, the "GAMERS RISE UP" types, AND the "Haha take that Gamers!" types.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
3USgt2g.gif

He's right, and capital-G gamers love hiding behind consumers rights to harass the creators and critics of games.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
The freeloaders term wasn't great, but on the whole I'm surprised we don't see more developers talk like this. A disappointingly large portion of the gaming community is scum.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The freeloaders term wasn't great, but on the whole I'm surprised we don't see more developers talk like this. A disappointingly large portion of the gaming community is scum.
Because this is what happens when people speak candidly and honestly to consumers.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

Pretty much this. Regardless of how poorly done/exploitative the event was done, the post the dev is responding to are incredibly inflammatory and rude (though, again, the "freeloader" bit is out of line especially when the critique about the cost of cosmetics is pretty obvious and sensible. Still, nothing warrnts this abuse slung at them).

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
While it's not the greatest way to respond to people sending vitriol your way, it's human to not be able to keep your cool 100% of the time and the things said aren't fairly minor in the grand scheme. A slap on the wrist from PR higher ups at worst for the guy talking shit about the assholes yelling at them. You can't expect good, direct communication with the developers if you're just going to be toxic assholes to them when bad decisions are made, so those people really need to calm down and rethink how they're talking to the devs responding on the reddit if they want them to get the message of what parts of the game need work and all that. It sort of seems like some of the people in that reddit are just getting offended in bad faith to try to make things seem way worse than they are in the hopes that somehow this huge amount of toxicity gets their message across that they hate everything that's going on right now. It seems like a perfect storm of internet BS contained neatly in the reddit.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017

edit: Specifically this hits the nail on the head:

Because of how poorly that was communicated (and this was the fault of the Oobletsdevelopers), people became even more upset. Some might've been wondering:

• Why are we being called "toxic" when we just have legitimate concerns about the launcher?
  • Why are we being called "immature babies" when we have complaints about exclusives?
  • Why are we being "mocked" and "demeaned" just because we're gamers?
The distinction was already lost on some folks because they assumed, incorrectly, that a wide net was being cast and that they were all part of it.

Oct 25, 2017
anyways, the solution to predatory microtransactions is not to verbally abuse individual developers or community managers, in the same manner that yelling at a random store employee over corporate policy doesn't really help anyone

Oct 26, 2017
The first 2 comments were bad but the third guy's comment was quite reasonable to me and doesn't deserve the ridicule.

The person does not want to be a "freeloader". He wants to support the game but finds the price of the items exploitative. I play free-to-play games but I only pay for microtransactions that are in the $1-$10 range.

I'm sure there's a ton of research into this subject but I don't see how not offering cheaper options would be a detriment to their revenue. It doesn't seem sustainable to base your entire business model entirely only on big spenders.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The first 2 comments were bad but the third guy's comment was quite reasonable to me and doesn't deserve the ridicule.

The person does not want to be a "freeloader". He wants to support the game but finds the price of the items exploitative. I play free-to-play games but I only pay for microtransactions that are in the $1-$10 range.

I'm sure there's a ton of research into this subject but I don't see how not offering cheaper options would be a detriment to their revenue. It doesn't seem sustainable to base your entire business model entirely only on big spenders.

Because if they satisfy that urge for a smaller price, they don't entice people with lower self restraint to go for the higher ticket items.

This is MTX 101. You create a competitive atmosphere where your only reward structure is cosmetic, and then you make the buy-in for prestige just comfortably above what would be considered reasonable, which forces people to sigh deeply as their failed impulse control leads them to type in their credit card number regardless of price.

Maybe they'll forego eating healthy tomorrow or buying their kid new socks - that limited edition skin will be gone by next week!!!

I'm sure someone reading that last sentence has felt that feeling. I have. You're meant to feel it. That's what these developers depend on you feeling in order for their executives to get million dollar bonuses.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I mean... gamers fucking suck so I have a hard time disagreeing with someone calling them "dicks" when they treat developers like shit.

Respawn deserves all the criticism for their shitty monetization, and people should absolutely vocalize their disappointment with it. Not just disappointment, because it is gross and fucked up, and 100% built on exploitation. But it shouldn't need to be said that personal attacks on devs are nothing short of fucking gross.

But also calling your F2P audience "freeloaders" doesn't help your message, because these same people are just going to validate their shittiness.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
They are not the ones in the wrong.

It's not constructive. It's not polite. It's not even mature or smart to say those things.

But they are not wrong.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
AAA greed and predatory monetization is at an all time high. Call a spade a spade.

Don't like how much something costs? Then don't buy it. They can't force open your wallet, but you're not entitled to anything either. It really is as simple as that. If enough people vote with their wallet in this manner, these companies will eventually be forced to change.

But no one — not you, not me, not anyone — is entitled to anything.

This is all assuming we're talking about rational, free-thinking adults, of course. Predatory monetization aimed at kids is an entirely different and much scummier story.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Because if they satisfy that urge for a smaller price, they don't entice people with lower self restraint to go for the higher ticket items.

This is MTX 101. You create a competitive atmosphere where your only reward structure is cosmetic, and then you make the buy-in for prestige just comfortably above what would be considered reasonable, which forces people to sigh deeply as their failed impulse control leads them to type in their credit card number regardless of price.

Maybe they'll forego eating healthy tomorrow or buying their kid new socks - that limited edition skin will be gone by next week!!!

I'm sure someone reading that last sentence has felt that feeling. I have. You're meant to feel it. That's what these developers depend on you feeling in order for their executives to get million dollar bonuses.

What kind of strawman argument hell is this? Lol. Why can't the consumer in this case someone with $18 to burn?

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Maybe they're right but I don't think it's ever appropriate to talk to a customer that way. In any line of work.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I would never call a customer a freeloader under any circumstance. As someone who works with customers who at times can be trying I understand wanting to say something like that but it's unprofessional and should be handled in a better way. It's the internet and people feel like they can say crazy stuff because it's not face to face, better to not respond than start a back and forth like what happened here.

As a regular Apex legend Player I purchase the season pass to help support the game because for the most part I enjoy playing it and I don't want EA to disband Respawn. Although on the other side I understand how some other players might be upset about MTX cost, constant error codes, poor loot payouts and infrequent updates. I don't buy any of the skins/Voice lines because I haven't seen one that I thought was really cool, found value in or looked interesting enough to purchase at the price point they are currently asking. Hopefully every one involved cools off

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
The self-loathing here is maddening. Aren't we all gamers? I just find it bizarre... ResetEra is a gaming forum. I know for one that I'm no entitled dick, ass-hat or free-loader. Fortnite has loads of $20 skins and you know what, I don't pay for 'em! I still play the game! But I just don't understand people in a video game forum so vehemently insulting "gamers". All of us literally play video games. I need this logic explained to me.

My dude "gamer" is not an identity. This bizarre need to categorize yourself by hobby is weird. You can't "self hate" yourself as a gamer, you were not born a gamer

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
They were right given how badly they were being treated, but it definitely wasn't a good PR move.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
So like...

Are people really bashing a F2P title - albeit a really good one - and the ability to play it and have fun on the fact that it's really expensive to acquire skins and loot boxes? When did this become a thing? "Sure I love the gameplay, and I have fun playing it, but F those guys at Respawn. Skins are too expensive and loot boxes are rampant. I'm never playing this game again."

If you're someone who finds that in-game cosmetics in F2P titles ruins your "gaming" experience, then I think there are other larger issues at question.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I for one don't have a problem with devs wanting to be angry once in a while at people. Doesn't phase me one bit. Tell it how you feel man. But dear god in defense of this scheme it almost makes me choke. Just gives me no faith in these people. And when it starts to be insinuated that maybe Respawn is the one setting these prices it just leaves a lot of questions.

Oct 26, 2017

Ah, it all makes sense now.

They don't price items reasonably because then the psychological trap that they've built doesn't work anymore. The people who recognize the trap for what it is are guilted into paying because otherwise they're a "freeloader".

I know "gamers" are shitty but the devs aren't being honest here either. The game is specifically designed to take advantage of the people who play it.

No wonder the comments are getting so ugly.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Good on Respawn for directly shaming this sort of toxicity.
They didn't shame anything. They fed into the toxicity and look where it got them. People are more pissed now than ever. Obviously they have a point when it comes to gamers being shitheels. But it was really unprofessional to essentially shit talk and confront those toxic fanboys in the manner they did.