• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I sucks that people take things too far but this event was absolute garbage and i'm glad they got blasted for it because it was absurd.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody asked for a SP Star Wars games.
yeah, that thing that gamers have never ever rabble-roused and bemoaned the lack of in the wake of another MTX fiasco. hell, there has never been a time in recent memory, like in the last year, maybe even in January of this year, when a singleplayer star wars game was canceled and it caused a large public outcry. classically, famously, nobody has ever asked for a singleplayer Star Wars game

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I bought so many packs of basketball cards as a kid hoping for certain things I usually didn't get. Knowing the real odds probably wouldn't have stopped me either. I'm not sure that's gambling but if it is, this is just that in a new form. I guess I couldn't spend as much because it's not like I had a credit card then or could just steal one to use it since it was a face to face interaction, but yeah. Also, yes, some people can't help themselves so it's not just "be responsible" but it's also something where it's not the only avenue to splurge if you're going to do it. It's just easier to do it in this area than some others.

Anyway, this controversy is tired. I don't have a problem with there being more regulation around this stuff, or it being cheaper or getting exactly what you put money in for. I also don't have a problem with being called a freeloader, because I am with this game. I get that there's sticker shock and yeah it felt overpriced, but I also don't feel slighted.

I also barely come to this part of the forum, but I hoped maybe there wouldn't be so much melodrama about this after I saw the story on Polygon, but there is. Oh well.
Ha, I can agree with this. I was heavily into getting those Jordans and what not too. But the odds were not all that great. Still got plenty of them though, and even a couple that are worth a couple bucks.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
yeah, that thing that gamers have never ever rabble-roused and bemoaned the lack of in the wake of another MTX fiasco. hell, there has never been a time in recent memory, like in the last year, maybe even in January of this year, when a singleplayer star wars game was canceled and it caused a large public outcry. classically, famously, nobody has ever asked for a singleplayer Star Wars game
Yeah, maybe from HER. I didn't ask for EA to cancel the project people were excited about and then give another random project to Respawn. Who asked for that?

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
And constantly bringing up harassment toward devs as a way to dismiss predatory microtransactions is akin to gaslighting in this case, want to try again?

I said it earlier, it may come across as untimely to criticize the devs monetization schemes after they've been harrassed, but it is not an endorsement of it. I'm still waiting for anyone to offer a good defense of the monetization on this game, I'm starting to think there isn't one.

To make it simple for you: people defending the developer's decision to lash out are not defending the monetization model chosen by the developer. We, as consumers of video games and members of an enthusiast forum, should be acutely aware that developers often receive an absurd amount of directed harassment. Saying "this developer is right in saying gamers are toxic" is not the same as saying "this monetization model is fine."

Using this thread to discuss the monetization model is arguing the merits of whether or not it is egregious enough to justify the kinds of messages the developers receive on a daily basis. The dissonance comes here. Some people, like me, believe there is no monetization model egregious enough to justify the amount of vitriol sent towards the developer, therefore, it is pointless to discuss about the model itself. By doing so, you are detracting from the main issue, Gamers' inability to be respectful toward other people in the internet, specially those that provide their entertainment.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I totally agree with Respawn here. It's a good thing to voice dissent over poor pricing and decisions made by developers and publishers, but keep it on topic and don't resort to ridiculous personal insults.

I also feel headline here is just trying to stir up trouble. Freeloader was used as a term of endearment for example. Do you want soulless PR or do you want to have an actual conversation with the people in charge? You can't have it both ways.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Sad that for some in this current climate, their initial reaction is to completely fly off the handle when a shred of criticism is fired their way.

It couldn't possibly be that they need to see why the those Developers are calling them out, nope. It's Respawn that are wrong. And in response, time to shit on them.

Respect to those 2 Respawn devs for telling it like it is. I mean the game is free to play...and they are skins. The tools are there to access all content for free. Why is it worth hurling such toxic shit their way over the pricing of a skin you can obtain for free?

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
That's exactly the way I feel but I don't play this game. I just know how absurd the prices are. I mean 200 bucks for lootboxes... jesus christ.

You would've needed to buy around 136$ (depending on which coin packs you buy & if you add the bonus currency you got from the lootboxes) in coins to buy 22 lootboxes (like 7$ each) and get all of the cosmetics from the event and be able to spend another 35$ for Bloodhound's heirloom axe. After deserved backlash they changed it so you can just outright buy the stuff you want now without the lootboxes. It's still obviously overpriced as fuck and deserves to be called out, but isn't a fucking excuse for gamers to verbally abuse them and send them death threats and all the shit that's way too fucking common nowadays.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Woof the polygon author framing it like the big bad developers are so badly insulting the wonderful Gamers. Can't help but think he loves that ridiculous Reddit post.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
This guy is a clown, I won't be buying Respawn games in the future. I don't even play Apex. "I've been a developer for x amount of time so this is how this relationship is supposed to go, bend over and take these transactions. " LMAO

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Not only do you get playable characters for free, they absolutely blast you with the currency that is used to do so. I didn't play this game between March and July—even so, they could release like 8 characters right now and I'd be able to buy them all.

They what? I haven't played the game in a while because I had to rebuild my computer, but did they change the currency system? You used to only get the free currency to buy characters from leveling up, which became increasingly more difficult to do as you leveled up, which means longer and longer grinds or paying them money (which is the point of the reward structure).

Did this change? Because I was never "blasted" with currency, it was a horrible trickle that was barely stomachable even when you won games.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry bud don't care about people calling themselves gamers.
That wasn't directed at you.

All I have seen over the past three years is a mass exodus of lead devs from EA to other places, and it has affected every single one of their games. Nobody asked for a SP Star Wars game.
This is quite literally revisionist history considering the reaction to Amy Henning's game being restructured and the rhetoric where a journalist misconstrued EA's statement about single player titles. Maybe have some humility and realize that YOU specifically not asking for a SP SW game does not=a VERY large amount of people asking for one, enough to justify spending tens of millions of dollars to develop and then spend an equal amount to market one.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The self-loathing here is maddening. Aren't we all gamers? I just find it bizarre... ResetEra is a gaming forum. I know for one that I'm no entitled dick, ass-hat or free-loader. Fortnite has loads of $20 skins and you know what, I don't pay for 'em! I still play the game! But I just don't understand people in a video game forum so vehemently insulting "gamers". All of us literally play video games. I need this logic explained to me.

Not self loathing. If you don't think the gaming community can be and is toxic, then you aren't paying enough attention or ignoring it.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
They what? I haven't played the game in a while because I had to rebuild my computer, but did they change the currency system? You used to only get the free currency to buy characters from leveling up, which became increasingly more difficult to do as you leveled up, which means longer and longer grinds or paying them money (which is the point of the reward structure).

Did this change? Because I was never "blasted" with currency, it was a horrible trickle that was barely stomachable even when you won games.
Don't think they changed it, nope. But I level up a couple times a night, I think. Doesn't take much! Sorry to hear you can't stomach the blast.

Sep 14, 2018
Using this thread to discuss the monetization model is arguing the merits of whether or not it is egregious enough to justify the kinds of messages the developers receive on a daily basis. The dissonance comes here.

Yes, it does because I don't think discussing the monetization is that. But it's true that it's not technically what the thread is about (even though it's directly related and it's not exactly just me talking about it), so I'll let it go.

For what it's worth, I have no problem with anything the devs said.

I just have an interest in all this downplaying of predatory practices, I wonder what causes it? Anyway, that's the last thing I'll say, carry on.

By the way, thanks for keeping it simple for me, how nice of you.

Last edited:

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
You would've needed to buy around 136$ (depending on which coin packs you buy & if you add the bonus currency you got from the lootboxes) in coins to buy 22 lootboxes (like 7$ each) and get all of the cosmetics from the event and be able to spend another 35$ for Bloodhound's heirloom axe. After deserved backlash they changed it so you can just outright buy the stuff you want now without the lootboxes. It's still obviously overpriced as fuck and deserves to be called out, but isn't a fucking excuse for gamers to verbally abuse them and send them death threats and all the shit that's way too fucking common nowadays.

You mean there aren't any group of normal gamers with level headed opinions dissatisfied with this? Of course... this is just another extreme gamer group who think they are personally insulted over this as if it is majorly affecting their lives. Okay... if that's the case then I certainly dont condone that behaviour.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
gamersriseup.jpg

I haven't been playing regularly since launch, and I have gained enough currency to buy two characters with enough to buy a third (I don't really care for Caustic or Octane).

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Don't think they changed it, nope. But I level up a couple times a night, I think. Doesn't take much! Sorry to hear you can't stomach the blast.

Hahaha, what the fuck.

Dude above this post has been playing since launch and still can't afford all characters, maybe tone down the MTX defense force bullshit.

"Blasted", Jesus fucking Christ.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This guy is a clown, I won't be buying Respawn games in the future. I don't even play Apex. "I've been a developer for x amount of time so this is how this relationship is supposed to go, bend over and take these transactions. " LMAO
I'm pretty sure saying that people shouldn't go straight to personal attacks, and verbal harassment because they aren't happy about these transactions is pretty reasonable.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
That wasn't directed at you.

This is quite literally revisionist history considering the reaction to Amy Henning's game being restructured and the rhetoric where a journalist misconstrued EA's statement about single player titles. Maybe have some humility and realize that YOU specifically not asking for a SP SW game does not=a VERY large amount of people asking for one, enough to justify spending tens of millions of dollars to develop and then spend an equal amount to market one.
AFAIK people wanted Amy on that game. When she left I lost interest and so did a lot of people at least on forums.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
For people who are late to the thread this is whats up.

-Combating toxicity with toxicity is a bad idea.

-Capitalism sometimes makes games way worse.

-Some people think a "gamer" is someone who plays games and others think gamers are people who play games and also shit on devs on reddit.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
AFAIK people wanted Amy on that game. When she left I lost interest and so did a lot of people at least on forums.
I would honestly be surprised if most people who were excited for that game tracked the personnel working on it.

Maybe 'a lot of people on forums' lost interest. And, based on the E3 showing this year, a lot of people are very excited for this new one!

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The worst part about the "freeloaders" post isn't actually the freeloaders comment (because in context he is saying that they love people who don't buy skins as they make up the majority of the playerbase and keep the game alive.)

The worst part is actually the subtle admission that only a small number of the playerbase actually spends money on these things, "Whales" as they are known, it basically just clarifies that microtransactions prey on people who are prone to addiction and just proves that the link between gambling and lootboxes is a very real and dangerous thing, I would even go as far to say that the people who these publishers prey on are the very reason free to play games even exist in the first place which just makes me sad and not want to ever play another one.
Admitting a small conversion rate doesn't imply that it's a whale business, especially when you have as many active players as Apex.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
For people who are late to the thread this is whats up.

-Combating toxicity with toxicity is a bad idea.

-Capitalism sometimes makes games way worse.

-Some people think a "gamer" is someone who plays games and others think gamers are people who play games and also shit on devs on reddit.

Pick whichever topic you like and accuse everyone else of supporting the negative version of the other two.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
They're not wrong though...

But the problem isn't the developers or community managers. They don't decide how to nickel & dime the player base. Those are decisions made at the corporate level and are a common enemy for both the developers and the gamers.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Hahaha, what the fuck.

Dude above this post has been playing since launch and still can't afford all characters, maybe tone down the MTX defense force bullshit.

"Blasted", Jesus fucking Christ.
If anybody has been playing "since launch" and don't have all the characters they are 100% bullshitting.

Xbox puts me at 14 days played (this is including afk time) and i've been playing on and off only really coming back like 2 weeks before this update and bought both the new characters the day they came out and still have 60,000 something red coins.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Well at the very least that "most of you are freeloaders" comment actually fills me with hope that gamers aren't as gullible and stupid with their money as I had originally thought.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I genuinely dont know what distinction you are making from the 3 topics, lol. But these 3 things are very much different topics.

No as in, one can come in as being anti-gamer and support the push back from the devs, or as being anti-corporate and support the push back from the playerbase.

Whichever cause that person pick is the righteous path of course.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I agree with them, but at a surface level.

The original RNG-based skin purchase model wasn't sustainable. Basically was a scam.

A fixed price is good, but is high for me. Could just save up for or buy an indie game with that.

Think EA is reaching that limit where most customers won't accept their in-game economics. Respawn is kinda stuck having to follow executive decisions. But, Vince is an executive now, isn't he?

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
No as in, one can come in as being anti-gamer and support the push back from the devs, or as being anti-corporate and support the push back from the playerbase.

Whichever cause that person pick is the righteous path of course.

I didn't know Shin Megami Tensei V was gonna be about the games industry, but I guess it makes sense.

benj

Oct 27, 2017

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
You mean there aren't any group of normal gamers with level headed opinions dissatisfied with this? Of course... this is just another extreme gamer group who think they are personally insulted over this as if it is majorly affecting their lives. Okay... if that's the case then I certainly dont condone that behaviour.

There definitely are people with level-headed opinions dissatisfied with their microtransactions! Even in this very thread. I'm literally one of those who hates what they're and many others are doing with MTX, especially with fucking lootboxes. But I can voice my dissatisfaction without being a piece of shit hurling slurs etc. at them. With how much shit they're getting most likely everywhere it's no fucking surprise that they'd break sooner or later and get snarky. And in my opinion it definitely is on those specific Gamers™ for throwing hissy-fits over devs calling them rightfully asshats & dicks. Personally thought the "freeloaders" was tongue-in-cheek and not meant to hurt anybody, but I guess I'd understand if someone didn't like it. Still. Doesn't mean they deserve all the harassment they've been getting. People shouldn't be fucking surprised if the devs are having a hard time having a proper discussion about the way they're doing their MTX when the majority (or at the very least most vocal) are absolutely toxic shits who won't stop harassing them no matter what.

Said it like 20 pages ago already, but I really wish gamers would have the same energy for calling out devs who are actually transphobic, homophobic, ableist pieces of shit.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
oh boy, sure those that are angry because the use of the word gamer, are the same as those who are mad when a woman says men are trash.
#notallmen #notallgamers

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're using "gamers" in the same way those replies are using "developers". They don't mean every gamer.

The post is very, very clearly referring to gamers who've been sending them abuse.

It's like when someone uses "white people" to refer to some white people, and people just get so fixated on it, and use it to discredit the point the other person was trying to make.