• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly struggling to see the lie in the devs words about gamers. And the "freeloader" comment just sounds more like a light ribbing seeing as they put in parenthesis "and we love that!". It's a free to play game, freeloaders are welcome.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been on ERA much in a while. Is the general trend now that the majority tend to take the side of the company over the consumer? Is it common place to accept exploitative pricing models as long as it's cosmetic? Also, is this no longer a gaming forum because many here seem to hate gamers?

I am really confused by the sentiment, and am genuinely wondering if I missed some sort of shift in the collective mindset.

People flying off the rails and flaming, harassing, belittling, snarking, and in some cases threatening developers over something they don't like in a video game is far, far, far, far, far more offensive to me than a video game not appearing on my preferred platform or not having my preferred pricing model for its items, so, yeah, I'm not going to identify with the former crowd. This sort of toxic behavior is also the norm now rather than the exception so I tend to come to the defense of people whose only crime is being a game developer and not doing a thing that gamers liked and are being harassed for it because that's really the only side I can come down on.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking no one is allowed to complain about $20 video game skins. Future of gaming not looking very bright.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't been on ERA much in a while. Is the general trend now that the majority tend to take the side of the company over the consumer? Is it common place to accept exploitative pricing models as long as it's cosmetic? Also, is this no longer a gaming forum because many here seem to hate gamers?

I am really confused by the sentiment, and am genuinely wondering if I missed some sort of shift in the collective mindset.

You don't have to agree with the monetization. But harassing devs is not acceptable.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It is not professional BUT quite a few gamers are entitled pricks and they insult the company I'm working for every single day.
And yes, sometimes it gets personal (to a point where some even stalked our LinkedIn pages)
Can't really disagree with Respawn here, sorry.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Was worried this would be an actual issue here with them using hate speech or something

This is whatever, they do need to rethink their monetization prices tho

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
We pour vitriol on them all day every day but god forbid a dev responds back with the unforgivable curse "asshat." It's almost like a developer is a real life human being, just like us.

100% this.

Gamers largely are a mob of frothing-at-the-mouth rage goblins. The shit that devs (or any reasonably visible gaming-related person for that matter, compounded by orders of magnitude if they are in any way divergent from the white/male/cis paradigm) receive on a daily basis is completely bonkers.

At this point, it doesn't really matter whether there is a kernel of justified criticism underneath, or if said visible gaming-related person is behaving "professionally". We shouldn't be focussing on that. I'm honestly super over this "we, the consumers" thing.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
The subreddit was a dumb mess before this event so I'm with the devs here.

But that freeloader comment was eeeh

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the community is embarrassing, the pr is embarrassing, the business model is embarrassing... yeah, no one comes out of this looking good. bold move, I'll give em that

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking no one is allowed to complain about $20 video game skins. Future of gaming not looking very bright.

If the skins were priced at $100 I'd still defend the devs against people harassing them.

You know, in my day, when something was too expensive for me to be interested in buying it, I just didn't buy it. I didn't seek out the people who made it and harass them. It's a new time, I guess, but it's an aspect of this time I really don't enjoy.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People flying off the rails and flaming, harassing, belittling, snarking, and in some cases threatening developers over something they don't like in a video game is far, far, far, far, far more offensive to me than a video game not appearing on my preferred platform or not having my preferred pricing model for its items, so, yeah, I'm not going to identify with the former crowd. This sort of toxic behavior is also the norm now rather than the exception so I tend to come to the defense of people whose only crime is being a game developer and not doing a thing that gamers liked and are being harassed for it because that's really the only side I can come down on.
But we are on a gaming forum to discuss not only these serious instances of harassment of devs. Saying nothing else matters because one is more serious than the other is nonsense and you know it, especially when people could make the argument that the exploitative nature of microtransactions is just as bad as the toxic part of the gaming fanbase.

The toxic behaviour is getting more frequent because these companies get greedier and greedier. The more shitty decisions they make, the more backlash there is, and the more backlash there is, the more opportunities the asshole gamers have to be assholes.

There's also always this notion of individuals getting harassed. That's often the case, I would never deny that, but here? In this situation with Respawn? Nah. We had this with the Pokemon situation, too. Tweeting how you think about a dev's decision isn't harassment.
Recently every disagreement with a gaming company seems to be seen as harassment and it's not doing anything but muddying the meaning of when someone actually gets harassed. Someone saying shit like "you guys suck I hate you" is toxic as fuck, but it's not harassment towards anyone in particular.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
What specifically needs citing?
Looking for a single instance (just one!) of a game developer not named Valve hiring a psychologist to work on monetization.

Extra super bonus points if they work at a major publisher as every time this rumor gets brought up it's in a EA/ATVI thread.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But we are on a gaming forum to discuss not only these serious instances of harassment of devs. Saying nothing else matters because one is more serious than the other is nonsense and you know it, especially when people could make the argument that the exploitative nature of microtransactions is just as bad as the toxic part of the gaming fanbase.

The thread is about what Respawn said. Within the scope of the thread, I agree with them and I'm sympathetic with them when it comes to the harassment and worse they've received just for doing their jobs.. If you want to discuss pricing models that's another thread... Right?

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a single instance (just one!) of a game developer not named Valve hiring a staff psychologist to work on monetization.

Extra super bonus points if they work at a major publisher as every time this rumor gets brought up it's in a EA/ATVI thread.
You think if Bingie used this stuff even while deciding which buttons players will push in Destiny, they didn't ask those people to help them with monetization? One of the first events in Destiny 1 was exactly the same as the Apex one with the exact same monetization.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Looking for a single instance (just one!) of a game developer not named Valve hiring a staff psychologist to work on monetization.

Dude, Destiny devs even had an article on how they studied Skinner box psychology specifically for their loot system. Sure, that's not monetised, but if they study psychology for loot they definitely do for monetisation. ESO is another big one that hired someone specifically for monetization boosts - they had previously worked on maximising profits from SWTOR's in game store. It definitely happens.

Sep 14, 2018
The thread is about what Respawn said. Within the scope of the thread, I agree with them and I'm sympathetic with them when it comes to the harassment and worse they've received just for doing their jobs.. If you want to discuss pricing models that's another thread... Right?

The harassment and the cause of it go hand in hand, are you telling that user he can't talk about it in this thread... why, exactly?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
How dare developers show frustration with their "fans" who treat them like shit and troll/harass/disturb them constantly for not doing exactly what they want, when they want it?

Now, I'm not justifying the shitty MTX model of this game but that's not a reason to make developers' lives hell. At the end of the day it's their job and you can choose to just not play their game. I suppose a big reason of that poor MTX model is EA, but devs know that if they'll say anything their job is gone so what do you expect?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
If the skins were priced at $100 I'd still defend the devs against people harassing them.

You know, in my day, when something was too expensive for me to be interested in buying it, I just didn't buy it. I didn't seek out the people who made it and harass them. It's a new time, I guess, but it's an aspect of this time I really don't enjoy.

The problem isn't just the price. The issue with these types of microtransactions is their predatory nature.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Let's not. The systems are designed by psychologists to best manipulate addictive tendencies no one said Respawn actually staffs one. The systems are already made, Respawn just implemented them. It's like distributing a poison. You don't have to have aided in the development of the poison to get in trouble for using it.
No.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love that they say they remember a time when players were not asshats to developers

I remember a time when developers would make games and not a product that tries to rip you off after the fact with predatory microtransactions

That said, I don't think anyone should be attacking or harassing developers, and at the same time developers shouldn't be slagging off their players

You can make any point or criticise something without being an ass

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The toxic behaviour is getting more frequent because these companies get greedier and greedier. The more shitty decisions they make, the more backlash there is, and the more backlash there is, the more opportunities the asshole gamers have to be assholes.

There's also always this notion of individuals getting harassed. That's often the case, I would never deny that, but here? In this situation with Respawn? Nah. We had this with the Pokemon situation, too. Tweeting how you think about a dev's decision isn't harassment.
Recently every disagreement with a gaming company seems to be seen as harassment and it's not doing anything but muddying the meaning of when someone actually gets harassed. Someone saying shit like "you guys suck I hate you" is toxic as fuck, but it's not harassment towards anyone in particular.
Majority of the time, the toxic behavior from gamers are not started by some kind of monetization practice. I've seen plenty of people in my time go off just because of a patch removing or changing something that needed balancing. Heck, remember when Jennifer Hepler left Bioware due to harassment and graphic death threats made to her and her family from gamers? What did she do to deserve that? She was just a writer for a game.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thread is about what Respawn said in response to something. It's not like this situation came out of thin air. When they got complaints about the pricing model, then fixed it, and then call the people who complained freeloaders after the fact, you can't rip this out of context just because it suits you.

And again, what qualifies at harassment for you? A mass of negative tweets? Some people being impolite or you know, asshats? You automatically imply "worse". Who at Respawn received death threats over this, got doxxed or anything like that? Can you name one or did you just throw that "or worse" in to make differing opinions than yours look unreasonable? There's a lot of really toxic shit going on in this community no doubt. But these sweeping statements, trying to lump every form of criticsm together and treat every instance like the worst that ever happened to some dev in the past doesn't help.

It's the same situation as it was with that Pokemon thing. People spammed a hashtag to voice their disappointment. The some asshole went overboard and suddenly the hashtag and people sharing it were seen as harassers and toxic. Why?

Last edited:

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The "freeloader" one is the one that crosses a line for me. You are calling customers of your F2P game "asshats" for calling you out on a slimy monetization scheme. Respawn just apologized and walked back said scheme in typical EA studio fashion. It's embarrassing tbh.

If they are a freeloader(as are 80%+ of F2P players), they are not a consumer.
That is not a bad thing, but acting entitled when they didnt even spend anything is peak capital G gamer.

And they called people asshats for acting like asshats, you can criticise something without crude language or personal insults.
If you cant, then you are an asshat and much worse they didnt say.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Defending scumbag actions from angry fans is just as bad. Do I think gamers should be entitled assholes when they're asking for something? No. They should be ignored if their tone is shit. But not everyone that wants these changes is an asshole. They just want something in the game that costs too much for what it is.

And why would I side with a developer that thinks selling overpriced cosmetics is good for gaming? The whole "don't like it don't buy it" argument is pretty bad here, since some people buying it already gives developers the idea to do it again, and then other developers will start to get the same idea. It is bad for the industry, period. If it's up to me, I advise my friends to stop supporting the game and let it die.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Majority of the time, the toxic behavior from gamers are not started by some kind of monetization practice. I've seen plenty of people in my time go off just because of a patch removing or changing something that needed balancing. Heck, remember when Jenifer Hepler left Bioware due to harassment and graphic death threats made to her and her family from gamers? What did she do to deserve that? She was just a writer for a game.
More often than not these days it absolutely is about monetization. Either that or some misogynists are doing their usual abhorrent thing.
Jenifer Hepler did obviously nothing to deserve what happened to her. I just don't think that lumping together people complaining about Respawn's monetization with people sending Jenifer Hepler death threats helps anybody, outside of people trying to shut up the ones complaining about Respawns monetization.

Last edited:

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
You think if Bingie used this stuff even while deciding which buttons players will push in Destiny, they didn't ask those people to help them with monetization? One of the first events in Destiny 1 was exactly the same as the Apex one with the exact same monetization.
User researchers do not make game design decisions as far as I know. Generally the designers make the decisions, and the user researchers validate the direction. So no, the user researchers at Bungie are not designing monetization.

I mean, have you played Destiny? They're not exactly trailblazing when it comes to making money.
Dude, Destiny devs even had an article on how they studied Skinner box psychology specifically for their loot system. Sure, that's not monetised, but if they study psychology for loot they definitely do for monetisation. ESO is another big one that hired someone specifically for monetization boosts - they had previously worked on maximising profits from SWTOR's in game store. It definitely happens.
Citation to who was hired for ESO/SWTOR? I'd love to see this.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The thread is about what Respawn said in response to something. It's not like this situation came out of thin air. When they got complaints about the pricing model, then fixed it, and then call the people who complained freeloaders after the fact, you can't rip this out of context just because it suits you.

And again, what qualifies at harassment for you? A mass of negative tweets? Some people being impolite or you know, asshats? You automatically imply "worse". Who at Respawn received death threats over this, got doxxed or the anything like that? Can you name one or did you just throw that "or worse" in to make differing opinions than yours look unreasonable? There's a lot of really toxic shit going on in this community no doubt. But these sweeping statements, trying to lump every form of criticsm together and treat every instance like the worst that ever happened to some dev in the past doesn't help.

It's the same situation as it was with that Pokemon thing. People spammed a hashtag to voice their disappointment. The some asshole went overboard and suddenly the hashtag and people sharing it were seen as harassers and toxic. Why?

It's worth noting that if they can cite research on their MTX pricing and calling everyone else freeloaders (love you guys though), did their research not also tell them their original implantation of the skins in expensive lootboxes wasn't going to work? If not, how much faith can we put in the research.

It's just very odd all around as like almost every non sports EA lootbox controversy, much of this can be avoided by, you know, not starting with the greediest monetization to begin with. Only to have to walk it back and appeal to the community for sympathy because of the collateral damage of poeple down low in the totem pole getting harassed.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

And again, what qualifies at harassment for you? A mass of negative tweets? Some people being impolite or you know, asshats? You automatically imply "worse". Who at Respawn received death threats over this, got doxxed or the anything like that? Can you name one or did you just throw that "or worse" in to make differing opinions than yours look unreasonable? There's a lot of really toxic shit going on in this community no doubt. But these sweeping statements, trying to lump every form of criticsm together and treat every instance like the worst that ever happened to some dev in the past doesn't help.

The developer is clearly addressing people that was personally attacking them or other developers from the team. There is no monetization model that will ever justify that kind of harassment. Gamers, as usual, like to make themselves the victim, and thought the developer was talking about literally everyone complaining about the monetization model. Even here it's very clear people are still conflating the two, believing the devs are upset at those who didn't like the lootboxes, instead of the people who harassed them.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking deathtreats, crude and abusive language are actually "criticism".

Hey now. Thats just how gamers talk man.

Seriously though, I dont blame the man for saying what he did. Cant even imagine dealing with the shitshow he does on a daily basis.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
So wait, players are pissed about paying for cosmetic items? I don't play Apex, so I don't know if are skins purely cosmetic.

And how exactly is a f2p going to make money without microtransactions? From the comments I read on this, the prices are exhorbant; since that's the case, let the folks who can pay for it pay for it.

I thought the point of playing games is to have fun, and not collect digital trinkets (says the guy about to pay for more warframe slots) then get pissed at developers wanting to get paid for their work.