• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Is there something missing from the OP? I like the candid talk from developers and don't see any unwarranted disrespect to anyone. Also, $18 for a skin does not seem like a lot. It's within the range the biggest games do for the most coveted skins already, and is what has replaced loot boxes in most games that are getting rid of them.

The customer is not always right, and that doesn't conflict with a pro-consumer point of view at all.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Besides using the term "freeloader" for the players not paying, I'm 100% behind Respawn not taking the fucking abuse from those assholes.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The freeloaders thing even seems to have been said in good humor, and as to the rest I can't blame these people for trying to defend themselves from actual attacks, regardless of my feelings on their monetization schemes.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You have people complaining due to your bad practices, simple as that. People reacting wildly is also bad, it's a vicious cycle.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you aren't one of the toxic gamers they are talking about, you shouldn't feel offended by that message. I think you can agree that there's a very large group that it does apply to, and saying "only some gamers are garbage" gives that toxic group an opening to believe that it isn't talking about them. Non toxic gamers who just quietly let the toxic behavior of others continue, are just as guilty in my opinion.

The truly toxic gamers would look for any excuse to not implicate themselves (or who knows, maybe they revel in being labeled assholes or trash). I don't see how wrongly generalizing a large and diverse group of people is at all productive or helpful.

It lets me know that I really shouldn't make any attempt at cultivating a genuine sense of acquaintanceship with anyone on this site lmfao, the people I know from the old place know me and I'm good with keeping in touch with those individuals specifically

I have little faith in enthusiast culture for any medium, this isn't exclusive to gaming for me. Most people are pieces of shit until proven otherwise.

Isolationism works, now leave me be cause I'm still gonna shit on the enthusiast culture I actively participate in. Why? Because I know who I am lmfao and it passes the time

Okay. You do you, mate.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
Hence why I said consider it, but also people shouldn't be surprised when the community is called out for no support.

A game will ultimately die of its own failures or inability to compete, but if you like the game, don't shy from backing it.
I don't agree. Devs calling out players that don't buy MTX in a free to play game or in any game is just wrong and a huge PR blunder.

Also, it's a way for them to normalize overspending and frame supporting MTX in the game as supporting a noble cause. These are manipulative tactics to get people to spend money. And also it's toxic in that it tries to turn the community against each other...the freeloaders and those that support the game with MTX.

I'm not against all MTX in a free to play game, but is it too much to ask to be transparent about pricing and not use behavioral manipulation to get me to support the game?

Eriol

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
its funny to see posters that just literally yesterday they were in a thread how toxic has been the forum, with how often the words ttrash and garbage are handled, and now they keep doing, its hilarious.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
It doesn't take much bravery to jump onto Reddit to start taunting the people you're taking advantage of.
Ya thats why I see this as a problem. These particular couple of devs are actively participating in the internet rage machine. On their free time? On the internet? Raging about videogame related things? Its almost as if they're behaving like the mysterious shadowy "gamer" mass hivemind boogieman people love ta deflect towards. An its not healthy. I really feel like it'd be beneficial for devs/pubs/players/customers whathaveyou to take a whole buncha steps back from one another. Drop the commuity/family (pr has used family before its not just weird randos doing it) thing. Directly interacting with one another ain't working out.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
Gamers: "Wow these skins are pretty expensive, any chance we can see price cuts on cool looking skins"

Developers/corporate ballwashers: "Stop throwing a tantrum you freeloader"
The irony of this comment is incredible. You not only revised the original negative tone of reddit's opinion to be more reasonable but you also reverted back to toxicity when you went on to call people "corporate ballwashers".

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
lol respawn/ea getting all this free goodwill just because the posts were on reddit

Oct 27, 2017
F2P games should implement monetization strategy similar to tipping culture in the US

Or have every content drop be a proposed Kickstarter. Like hey, here's all the content we want to implement in the next 3 months that will be available to everyone no questions asked and get people to donate whatever amount they want to hit the goal and this way if the goal isn't met then consumers can blame other consumers for ruining their favorite game.

Boom goes the dynamite

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine if you don't like microtransactions, but I can't help but roll my eyes at the concern over its effect on children who somehow have unlimited access to their parents' credit cards.

www.polygon.com

Fortnite is free, but kids are getting bullied into spending money

The stigma of being a default

Judging from your post history, between slagging off unions, defending Epic Store buying exclusives, MTX for various games, and 'competition' provided by exclusivity, I assume you don't really care.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, this event was so fucking awful, I put the game down for good until they reverse course.

On the other, this is classic bullying tactics on the part of their audience: give the devs as much shit as they can take, and when they stand up for themselves, act like they're the real villains.

This audience has been cultivated for years, and amid the crushing conditions game devs have to work under and the absolutely despicable treatment they receive from supposed "fans" (who'll flip their stances on a dime), I wonder how much longer it's going to last before folks realize this isn't going to bring more folks into the games industry.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Those freeloaders are paying a ton of money on skins and intros and shit

I don't really think anyone should side with corporations that profit from gambling mechanics. Judging by this persons attitude it looks like respawn are cool with the way this game is gouging gamblers and children. Mtx are designed to do so.

Are gamers complainers? Yes
Is there a large alt right community inside the gamer community? Yes

Do these people make all gamers assholes?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Cool. I don't play the game, I took that $20 point directly from the post so maybe you're right. I wouldn't know.

Nobody is getting scammed if they're getting what they pay for. Are they being held at gunpoint to buy said skins?

Lootboxes are one thing, but if people can straight up buy the skin they want, even at $20, how is it a scam?

I think selling things at exorbitant prices can be exploitative. It's not a scam because it's transparent, but that doesn't mean it's immune from criticism

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Respawn absolutely deserve the criticism levelled at them at the moment, you'll always find extremes of anonymous posters on the internet and if Respawn want to shout back at those venting their frustration then they absolutely should, it gives everyone a better idea of what the community is like and who the developer is rather than just creating a false happy front, people can then decide whether they want to continue being part of said community.

I always find these things interesting though given people are always quick to blame publishers for bad decisions, EA in this case, it's such an easy out for developers who pitch these hated ideas like expensive MTX's to the publishers in the first place.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
This and the loot boxes scandal make me little excited for TF3 if it ever happens. Too bad because I really liked TF2.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I buy three $20 skins a year in a game I put 300 hours into (and got for free) , I really don't feel like I got ripped off or exploited.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Respawn's replies are not professionally written indeed, and they could have showed additional restraint ("freeloaders", "go find it", seriously?). But they seem honest, e.g. "I loved it when devs and gamers didn't have such a tumultuous relationship", "The amount of people who spend is crazy low", "personal attacks are not acceptable". It reads like the cries of an artist who is told what to draw from a supervisor, criticized for decisions beyond their control, and sickened by people who resorted to personal attacks instead of criticism.

They're definitely not the norm, but they are appreciated over the typical sugarcoated nonsense.

However, Respawn still needs to save face and learn not to make the same mistake again. They appear unable to accept criticism and seem blind to critics who complain out of love for the game and have a desire to see it improve. They should open their eyes and realize that some "tantrum throwers" are still worth their trust. They just need to filter out the good and the bad (i.e. weed out personal attacks).

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Lootboxes are meant to prey on children and people with poor self control who are already playing x game since it's free and so accesible. Several games have taken to launching without mtx and adding them a month later.

It's easy from someone outside looking in to say "just don't buy it lol", but it's a practice called predatory for a reason, and there's really no justification for it. The devs are wrong here, they admitted as much and they are still wrong.
Minors shouldn't have access to such content, never said developers are absolutely right but in any case such things exhist so people need to be well informed before to buy/download and act consequently. The only concrete way it's boycott such games indeed to waste time to post toxic discussions or childish insults.

Last edited:

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Respawn overstepped massively with this event and clearly people are still pissed. I cant blame the guys at Respawn for reacting but this was very unprofessional.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
BREAKING: dicks, asshats, freeloaders mad being called such.

Our weekly dose of gamer outrage. What would we do without it.

Edit: "asshat" is one of these inherently funny words, thinking about it. I should use it more.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
If I buy three $20 skins a year in a game I put 300 hours into (and got for free) , I really don't feel like I got ripped off or exploited.

It's all about being able to step out of your own shoes and look at the whole picture.

If gamblers and children are targeted by micro transactions are you ok as long as it doesn't affect you? Because over the past few days "it doesn't affect me" and "it's only cosmetic" have been posted regularly and I find those apathetic responses unacceptable.

I could write forever about the design of the mtx marketplace and also how they know exactly how shady to be and what makes the most money. But I'll just stop at that.

Do I think apex legends should be free? No I don't. They worked hard on this. People love the game. They are asking for $$$ for each season. They have gotten $60 from people who bought season 1 and 2. This is before $18 skins.

They really don't deserve positive feedback for their behavior.

Game is great. Their greed sucks.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed with the devs sentiment, but these companies really need to put PR in between devs and public. It will save a lot of stress to the dev team.

I don't work in the game industry but when I feel a customer is being unreasonable (my company is B2B) I call up my Marketing / Business Development folks to work it out. Given the gaming public has a sizable toxic mob just waiting to latch on these things, companies that have the means should always talk to the public via PR/trained community managers and they need to tell their devs to filter anything through the PR team if they want to be more direct/personal.

Oct 29, 2017
We pour vitriol on them all day every day but god forbid a dev responds back with the unforgivable curse "asshat." It's almost like a developer is a real life human being, just like us.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
He has a point but the wording comes across really unprofessional.

Id be fired instantly if I went to social media and started talking about my companies customers like that.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
It's telling that he chose to reply to the inflammatory remark instead of the top up voted comment in the thread calling him out for the "back in the day" excuse when way back when you didn't have hundreds of dollars in DLC.

The gaming community is absolutely full of assholes, but that shouldn't erase the reasonable ire that the team has been receiving.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
It's incredibly unprofessional but they're not far off the mark at all

I'm totally going to both sides this. I agree with the dev and the person responding. Which makes me pretty torn. I hate microtransactions and totally see them as a way of just manipulating addictive personalities into keeping throwing them money while making a game that doesn't want to make you pay to play more of it but pay to fix the fixes. But also agree how gamers (as a whole, I know plenty are not like this but the stereotype does work) can be total asshats and how they go about it can be totally awful too (especially when not talking microtransactions, they don't just reserve their vitriol for that and a lot of times they refuse to look at it from the business side. Yes, the business wants to make money, that's why they are there. They do actually have to make the game feasable too. I just wish they woudl go with monetization options that encouraged good game design and wasn't just playing on the psychology of addicts).

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's all about being able to step out of your own shoes and look at the whole picture.

If gamblers and children are targeted by micro transactions are you ok as long as it doesn't affect you? Because over the past few days "it doesn't affect me" and "it's only cosmetic" have been posted regularly and I find those apathetic responses unacceptable.

I could write forever about the design of the mtx marketplace and also how they know exactly how shady to be and what makes the most money. But I'll just stop at that.

Do I think apex legends should be free? No I don't. They worked hard on this. People love the game. They are asking for $$$ for each season. They have gotten $60 from people who bought season 1 and 2. This is before $18 skins.

They really don't deserve positive feedback.

If minors and gamblers are being targeted and affected that's not cool and should stop. But I'm responding to people talking about how $20 skins are automatically abusive. I disagree. In fact, I also think it's totally fine for a game to want $30 a season and still give the option to buy an $18 skin on top of that, and the idea that that's so unreasonable as to be obviously abusive is foreign to me.