• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to entertain the false equivalence, you know you're trying to enter the conversation in bad faith with it.

It's more like "That shirt looks great on you! It hides your stomach." It's just a rearranged backhanded compliment. No false equivalencies or bad faith in seeing it as an insult imo.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
The responses to the devs are pretty bad. Most of, if not all of, the usages for dick, ass-hat, and freeloader could be replaced with less inflammatory terms, and no one would bat an eye. The meat of their comments is fine, but in a professional setting, you should know not to use words that are just going to inflame people.

Basically, everyone sucks here: people suck with those replies, community sucks with their replies/response/reactions, and devs suck for lowering themselves to the community's level.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
God just reading that thread on reddit is hilarious.

cLsFYfJ_d.jpg

"Hey man! Atleast you don't work in retail. Grow up and learn to endure assholes"

Or you know, the devs should just leave the community.
The funny part is that this is the exact same kind of shitty behavior people working in retail have to endure.

It's amazing how someone could make the connection to retail and come to the conclusion that the devs should just "suck it up."

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Not wrong about toxic gamers, but their monetization scheme still sucks. Might as well sell the game for $60 at this point if they are going to charge $20 for a skin.

Lol what have games come too that $20 can seem normal for a fucking skin of all things.
I think most sensible people don't care. You can charge $500 a skin for all I care.

I just played yesterday and without spending money got a legendary skin for my char and a weapon. It's not like it's unplayable because of that stuff...

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Not wrong about toxic gamers, but their monetization scheme still sucks. Might as well sell the game for $60 at this point if they are going to charge $20 for a skin.

Lol what have games come too that $20 can seem normal for a fucking skin of all things.

When the game is literally free, I think it's understandable that people might not care the price of a cosmetic purchase, which apparently is what most do. Even if it were $2, I honestly wouldn't buy it.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean they're right tho

Like the comment is right there lmfao

The sooner enthusiast gamers realize that they're kind of garbage the better tbqh

I see this sort of comment all the time and I don't understand it. Why make such a sweeping, shallow generalization when it's clearly not even close to the truth? On this very forum, I would say most posters qualify as enthusiast gamers, and I'd be willing to be the vast majority of them aren't toxic assholes; and yet you'd have us believe that we're all "kind of garbage." What does that achieve?

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
If someone at Disney responded to a post like the one in the OP by calling the person a dick, I wouldn't hold it against them.

You might not but I'm pretty confident that Disney manager would.

If you have an ounce of professionalism in your body, you don't respond to your customers like a teenage forum troll.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
I see this sort of comment all the time and I don't understand it. Why make such a sweeping, shallow generalization when it's clearly not even close to the truth? On this very forum, I would say most posters qualify as enthusiast gamers, and I'd be willing to be the vast majority of them aren't toxic assholes; and yet you'd have us believe that we're all "kind of garbage." What does that achieve?
Nah, they call themselves "not-gamers" while waiting for Death Stranding and thinking which games will be in their top-10 in december.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
If you've spent over 50 hours enjoying a game you should seriously consider tossing the dev a $20. I have no issue with the devs tossing the lack of support back at us.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
...The freeloaders comment isn't an insult. The dev even outright says he's happy most of the community are "freeloaders".

Adding "teehee but we still love you" does nothing to remove the negative connotation and it just comes across as passive agressive. It's 100% an insult.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
From where I'm sitting, the *point* underscoring both attitudes is correct. "Toxic" gamer yells, rips at hair, but ultimately has a salient-if-whiskey-driven argument that isn't far off from the usual (totally correct) arguments someone like Jim Sterling would have. Meanwhile, angry and offended devs are, well, they're right about a lot of gamers. Maybe the one they're engaging with, too, but if they think for a second that the relationship and dynamic between them and this particular poster is the result of a healthy industry that isn't bleeding people and taking advantage of their minds and wallets, well, they're being stupid.

The larger business here -- the one that doesn't *have* to be outside, customer-facing, but rather internal and shareholder-facing -- is forcing everyone else to have combative relationships. This turns into, unsurprisingly, devs trying to screw people just as much as people are out trying to screw devs, if not more.

So, welcome to exasperation land, where both devs and the players of their games clash directly and we discover that behind those screen names are just ordinary people who get mad and call shit out how they see it, whether it's true or not. It sucks that this is the kind of shit we'll see more and more as industry level abuses continue, and gamers become more and more defensive and aggressive. But hey, that guy in the back room counting up the MTX cash who doesn't even know Reddit is a thing is doing okay. Lucky.
Yep.

The people actually *profiting* from such aggressive monetisation are not the ones who get the shit like this from gamers and they defend the indefensible because frankly, they have to.

It puts passionate developers on a collision course with their players and it sucks. Of course the toxicity from people who start verbally assaulting (or worse) Devs for shoddy business practices make things worse too.

It's sad all round and it's normal Devs and gamers who lose out when developers stop listening because of the arseholes while the people who are out to take as much money off us as they can continue to take it in.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, gamers can eat shit.

On the other hand, so can devs that put microtransaction bullshit in their games.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Playing Epic Seven on mobile, my mail box is flooded with apollogy items, because something happened that im not even aware.
Meanwhile in the west, devs call freeloaders to they playerbase because they cant take criticism about overpriced skins.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You might not but I'm pretty confident that Disney manager would.

If you have an ounce of professionalism in your body, you don't respond to your customers like a teenage forum troll.
I'm not a Disney manager though, and neither are you. It's possible to think something is unprofessional but also completely deserved, and calling a dick a dick is that.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not complicated.

instead of millions of people spending $60-150, they have thousands of people spending $1k+ and millions paying $0

lowering the price on the items doesn't bump up the thousands by much and actually decreases ARPU

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty crazy their complaint about spend being low when you really think about it.

A) They charged $20 per skin and couldn't get a reasonable number of people to bite.

B) they went back to the drawing board and decided they could extract more cash by preying on people, and offering $7 spins on a slot machine. And then if you pull the wheel 24 times you can spend $35 on the rarest thing in the game.

I don't know. I don't think it's hyperbole calling that scummy.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the comments about how few people actually pay are really interesting.

I wonder how reliant F2P games are on whales? Like I knew they pay a lot of money, but are they actually reliant on them?

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
There is nothing tongue in cheek about that. Someone made a comparison to how Trump said "I love the uneducated" that is pretty apt. Putting a "we love that" after your derogatory term isn't making it tongue in cheek.

I agree about the rest, negativity always drowns out positivity. But that doesn't mean devs (or a lot of people on here looking at the thread) should lump all negativity together. If there's criticism to be had it should be adressed (and in this case not being made fun of after it was adressed. Like...what?). If the dev couldn't handle the sometimes vitriolic backlash on a personal level that's an entirely different issue, but the PR guy shouldn't have typed what they typed, imo.
The very definition of freeloaders is: "a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return."

It's not at all surprising why fans dont take that as tongue-in-cheek, just because the dev softens the blow in the same sentence with "but that's okay, we love you too".

It seem as if the dev is frustrated, and I dont blame them. It is 100% human to feel attacked and overwhelmed and he/she needs a well needed mental break, but that term is going to be seen as throwing shade
You're right, maybe I was giving Respawn PR too much credit, but shade or not it doesn't deserve outrage.

There's genuine community feedback there, I understand because I dropped Apex partly due to the shitty monetisation. But it's become a scene because of misjudged comments that set fire to the ever present mob mentality that pervades the industry. It doesn't deserve be a scene just because of those comments in isolation.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

The people actually *profiting* from such aggressive monetisation are not the ones who get the shit like this from gamers and they defend the indefensible because frankly, they have to.

It puts passionate developers on a collision course with their players and it sucks. Of course the toxicity from people who start verbally assaulting (or worse) Devs for shoddy business practices make things worse too.

It's sad all round and it's normal Devs and gamers who lose out when developers stop listening because of the arseholes while the people who are out to take as much money off us as they can continue to take it in.

Which I think underscores the scummy nature of the publishers who encourages these monetizaiton scheme and then slink away and let their employees take the hit.

Not doubting the frustration felt by employees but if you work for EA, and your on a forum defending EA there is certainly a conflict of interest there and I've noted a strategy very similar to how those in power deal with protests.

Sit back, wait for 'extreme' elements in the community to do so something outrageous to police (or in this case your employee) and hide behind the outrage to play the victim card. It's a strategy they've tried to employ for years. Often without much success.

It doesn't lessen the reasons and causes for the outrage, but it sure is a conversation changer. It looks like they've had more success this time from scanning the responses in this thread. Shame.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's really not that hard to see that in essence he's saying many people don't buy anything from the marketplace and that's okay.

I'm not going to entertain the false equivalence, you know you're trying to enter the conversation in bad faith with it.
And his comment was not taken by me or others as playful jest so no need to explain to us that it's okay. It's not

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
People losing their shit at cosmetics skins that dont affect gameplay on a f2p game

The developer doesnt get it, neither do I

You just have to ignore the skin. People are going crazy because they can't buy the optional skin since it's too expensive?

Oh the entitlement

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
2d2.jpg

I haven't been keeping up with the Apex situation, and from what I've glanced at in this thread the monetization model does seem fucked, but that doesn't and never will warrant being a complete shitbag to developers. That being said, this should have been a case in which they just completely disengage from their community and worked on the game (making microtransaction systems that are fairly priced to the extent that people want to engage with/throw money at them) behind the scenes. If your fans are this toxic, just ignore them and improve things while you take whatever cash they'll throw at you. As right as the team is, this is still a bad look and one that didn't need to happen.

I can't stress this enough: the monetization being fucked up for cosmetics in Apex is a Respawn problem, not a player problem. They're the ones losing out if nobody fucking buys it, so there's no need to be a dick.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Why are these gamers being such meanies towards our monetization :(((((

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The cherry picking of these singular words 😅 In context they're perfectly fine, and the freeloader comment is a non issue entirely in context. But the outrage must continue!

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been on ERA much in a while. Is the general trend now that the majority tend to take the side of the company over the consumer? Is it common place to accept exploitative pricing models as long as it's cosmetic? Also, is this no longer a gaming forum because many here seem to hate gamers?

I am really confused by the sentiment, and am genuinely wondering if I missed some sort of shift in the collective mindset.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamers: "Oh y'all are crying about being called the n-word and homophobic slurs? LMAO you snowflakes wouldn't have lasted one minute in Xbox Live!"

Also gamers: "OH YOU CALLED ME AN ASSHAT. IT'S HARASSIN' TIME! DEATH THREATS FOR DAYS, BOY. "

This idea that game devs have to be courteous and polite even when their "fans" are being toxic, insulting, and just outright cruel to them needs to be killed. Stop being a gigantic insecure asshole to the human beings that make this game. I get you're unhappy about these cosmetics, but you Gamers have no right to pull the nasty shit you're doing to these folks because of them.

In short, Respawn dev is right, gamers continue to be insecure petty assholes, and the dumpster fire that is "gamer culture" continues to rage.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hah. "$20 for a skin I can't even see is too much!!!"

So don't buy it? What's the problem here?

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I think the comments about how few people actually pay are really interesting.

I wonder how reliant F2P games are on whales? Like I knew they pay a lot of money, but are they actually reliant on them?
Yes.

Studios and developers know that only 0.15 percent of mobile gamers account for 50 percent of all in-game revenue, so they model the entire in-game economy to capture the 0.15% of players (also called whales). Additionally, a survey by W3i found that "47 percent of total revenue comes from purchases costing $9.99 to $19.99" while only 6% of revenue comes from purchases ranging from $0.99 to $1.99.
(Granted this is five year old I see now, so conversion rate may have improved somewhat)

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
This "we did research in dropping this price" BS is hilarious. You still have to spend $20 since they dropped the price from $18 to $12 and you have to buy coins in bundles. On top of this, they've only dropped the price on skins that nobody wanted in the first place. And DO NOT COMPARE THE SKINS IN THIS GAME TO FORTNITE. That is a third person game where you always see your character. This is a first person game where you only see your character at the drop, which is maybe 1% of the time you're playing.
I feel like a lot of you don't play either game enough to know the differences, and with the amount of incorrect info ya'll have been saying, it's clear that you don't even know why the community is mad when we've been telling them since day one that they're shop prices suck which all came to a head in this event, but nah, the dev is right and we're all asshats/freeloaders even though I've personally dropped almost $100 into this game which I've vowed to not give them a single penny after this greedy ass event. I was ready to drop around $40 too since the skins looked so cool.

chilleverest

Jul 24, 2019
Everything was in perfect harmony in Reddit before their pricing model for the event. It came off as a blatant ripoff. Respawn/EA traded on tight rope. Not saying it warranted toxic reactions but its just cause and effect at this point.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
If you've spent over 50 hours enjoying a game you should seriously consider tossing the dev a $20. I have no issue with the devs tossing the lack of support back at us.
They chose their monetization system. No one should feel obligated to donate to multibillion dollar corporations.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Hah. "$20 for a skin I can't even see is too much!!!"

So don't buy it? What's the problem here?
1) there weren't any $20 skins during this event, they were in $7 lootboxes
2) kids/whales have to buy them so this game survives and they are getting scammed
3) this new event offers nothing more than these skins and a solo mode which is meh

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with him. Not liking something in a game or what launcher it's on or whatever is not an excuse to be rude or harass anyone. I'm not sure what the controversy is.

Dmonzy

Oct 27, 2017
If you aren't one of the toxic gamers they are talking about, you shouldn't feel offended by that message. I think you can agree that there's a very large group that it does apply to, and saying "only some gamers are garbage" gives that toxic group an opening to believe that it isn't talking about them. Non toxic gamers who just quietly let the toxic behavior of others continue, are just as guilty in my opinion.

chilleverest

Jul 24, 2019
I haven't been on ERA much in a while. Is the general trend now that the majority tend to take the side of the company over the consumer? Is it common place to accept exploitative pricing models as long as it's cosmetic? Also, is this no longer a gaming forum because many here seem to hate gamers?

I am really confused by the sentiment, and am genuinely wondering if I missed some sort of shift in the collective mindset.
I agree. If you look at any businesses and their customer support, companies deal with angry consumers with utter professionalism. What people here demand is that that devs need to be equally aggressive towards their consumers. I think this will never work in the favor of the company.