• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
So?

You could have used many other words and phrases to get the same point across that do not have the negative baggage that comes with it. The situation is already heated and you use a word like that and people are going to tune out anything else you say after the fact and see red.

I agree it's stupid to say, but I think they were trying to make a joke out of it, is my point. Bad timing no contest.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
That's the thing.

Why not take their fury out on EA?

Yelling at a developer on reddit is gonna do jackshit. It's not like they can tell their bosses they won't do this.

The thing is for awhile now we have been getting told that it's not EA and the various EA devs continually say that EA is hands off and lets them do what they want. So which is it? If the Dev heads keep telling us EA doesn't make these demands then attacking EA makes no sense. I don't believe this of course and I think this is ALL EA but who am I to challenge what Dice, Bioware and Respawn have said themselves and that is that they pilot the ship not EA.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4O1jhFu.jpg

Holy shit

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So to get the top event item (the heirloom) you need to spend £130 minimum (buying the most efficient coin packs).

Nuts for a single event.

I was fine dumping money into Apex (and had done) for awhile yet but this really sours it, especially after you can spend £350 getting the last one. These transactions aren't micro. It's absolutely ok to criticise this pricing despite the game being free, especially if you're engaging with it.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
You need to accept that these videogame companies are trying to make money. It doesn't matter how big or small they are.
you know how it goes—when a smaller studio is owned by EA, they never have to make money again. that's why all these big studios keep buying small studios and then keeping them alive forever without budget cuts or layoffs.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I disagree that it's an insult, but I do agree in the wider context of the situation that people will take it as one. The way it's phrased points to a more light-hearted tone in my opinion.

I think the subsequent parenthesis pretty much solidifies it as a non-joke, to be honest.

But eh, it never looks good when a developer tries to guilt trip their players--where a significant margin consists of children--into paying up just because they're playing a game that is free. He could definitely use a better word there, no matter his intentions.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, since you responded in good faith, I can at least do the same.

My original point was really that feel like there are a group of people who intentionally needle developers to get them to slip up and say something bad or mean, and then use that as additional ammunition on their crusade. I don't mean to downplay the concerns here, or to imply that the people with legitimate complaints are wrong.
First of all thanks for that! Sorry if I came across as snarky.

To me these people always existed though, ever since the idawnof the internet. If these people just got put on ignore by the devs they woudn't get any ammo though. They are not obliged to communicate with toxic people. What it comes across as to me these days is the devs engaging with these people to paint the entire argument being made as toxic, and it's working looking at this thread. You have people in here that defended their monetization model in other threads using this to deligitimize the other sides argument
Again the Blizzcon guy in resepect to the mobile Diablo game was the perfect example of this in every way, except even him being toxic is debatable.

I think the problem is that it's hard to ignore toxic idiots when you're the developer. Especially now, in the age of social media and Reddit and at a time when people are rightfully calling for greater transparency and communication in video games, it's harder to just ignore all the people who are assholes. For one, there are a lot of them. They form brigades easily. They can and will target games they don't even necessarily care that much about just to advance an ideological agenda (see: Ooblets and EGS). Then contrast that with people who, by the nature of their jobs, HAVE to keep lines of communication open to talk to their audience and keep them up to date. Especially if you're frontlines PR, you can't just close your DMs and your inbox. And even if you managed to do THAT, you'd still have to read Reddit and forums and Twitter to make sure you're taking in all the legitimate conversation surrounding your game.

That means that it's pretty likely that people working on games are going to have to read a certain amount of bullshit; it's unavoidable. And a couple of comments a week telling you what a shithead you are is probably easy to ignore. But roll out stuff like what Apex Legends did, and suddenly that's not a couple of comments, it's a flood.

I can agree with that, the job of a PR person in gaming is getting harder and harder. But what does stooping to their level do? As you said, some of these assholes just wait for a reaction like that. If ignoring doesn't work, they should at least make a distinction between these assholes and people voicing their concerns in a normal manner. But that's not really happening. In this case, they didn't just call the assholes freeloaders. The whole situation is really dumb anyway because they already backtracked on the model and now call people who criticized said model names again. Like...why. Just makes their original apology ring hollow.

Negativity is always louder than positivity, and that's even more apparent in a job like this. I'm just not sure if this mixing up of assholes with everone else is just a genuine human defensive reflex or by design to silence criticism.

We need a better way of handling this sort of thing. Is the current Apex Legends event over the line when it comes to abusive monetization? Yeah, probably. Is their most recent attempt to fix it sufficient? Jury's out. But there has to be a way to communicate this that doesn't immediately result in a portion of the audience going scorched earth. And it happens every time. Developers are just people too.
Agreed. I edited my earlier post where I said the inevitable assholes popping up is a problem in itself that needs adressing. I just don't agree with bringing it up every single time it occurs, or even sometimes making a mountain out of a molehill, because it's always leading to the original point being lost.

I know if I were in their place, I'd probably handle it even worse than that developer on Reddit. And I suppose that's fair if you want to say that would make me unfit for the job, but we're asking developers to not only be good at their programming or art or whatever jobs, we're also asking them to essentially take on the protective armor you'd normally associate with low-level celebrity. Not everyone needs or wants that kind of baggage, and increasingly it's a requirement of the job.
See this is what I don't get. When someone says "the developers fucked up", it's not an attack on an individual. Almost never individuals get called out outside of legit harassment campaigns we saw with Gamergate. If I was a dev I would just not engage in this nonsense, PR people are there for a reason. I get the problem with Indie devs who don't have people relegated just to community issues, but at least when it comes to pricing models indie devs rarely have problems anyway. Especially when the criticism is directed at a genernal thing like monetization (and let's face it, that's the topic more often than not these days), it's unlikely most devs had a say in it outside the higher ups.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
I read the freeloader remark before this outrage happened and didn't think anything of it, as the dev is clearly being humorous in the post, but I could see how it could be taken as an insult. The rest of the comments aren't a great look for either side though.

I've grown tired of the exploitation that's grown more common in games though, be it alternate currencies to psychologically mask how much money you're spending, rotating store items to give your purchase urgency, or lootboxes that feed gambling addictions (Apex has all three sadly), all just feel so scummy to me at this point, even if they are commonplace now.

I get that it helps devs work and improve games with a consistent source of income instead of the cyclical $60 game launch every 2-4 years, and I'm all for additional ways of gaining revenue, I just wish it could be done ethically and without trying to exploit basic human psychology, particularly in the case of children, but that's more of an issue with mobile games than Apex specifically.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
While personal attacks are too far on an individual, do you guys think "Fuck EA" and "Fuck Respawn" are too far too?

Oct 27, 2017
The same EA that has a reputation as "killing" companies that aren't making money for them? The same EA that had a flop with Anthem and BFV with little getting hyped lately?
Don't worry, come September and they will make that money many times over with FIFA 20
While personal attacks are too far on an individual, do you guys think "Fuck EA" and "Fuck Respawn" are too far too?
Punching up is not the same as punching down.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The apologism for devs calling the player base, that they hire psychologists to better make gambling addicts out of, freeloaders is fucking frightening.

It's like the scene from Breaking Bad where Jesse unloads at the self help group.

"You know what - why I'm here in the first place? Is to sell you meth. You're nothing to me but customers."

You know who aren't freeloaders to these devs?
  • Kids who run up their parents credit cards without their knowledge.
  • Kids who have been manipulated to beg their parents for V-bucks.
  • Kids who are ostracized at school because they can't afford a fancy skin in this digital slot machine.

Seriously, fuck this entire predatory industry and their entitlement to people's money via addiction. They aren't creators, they're fucking parasites.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Unprofessional, but they are right. The gaming community is so toxic. Be it Reddit, Twitter, Era, etc.

I would imagine the official forums with the most dedicated fans can get bad when they don't like what you're doing.

Nothing idiotic about that. Let's call a spade a spade here. If you work for EA, you are part of the problem.

No.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
>Makes a F2P game
>People play the game for free
>People don't buy $18 skins
>People don't take part in cosmetic events that cost $200
>YOU'RE A BUNCH OF FREELOADERS (BUT WE LOVE YOUUUUUUUU)

SonicThrust

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I mean it's backlash to the ongoing microtransactions exploitation that's been getting completely out of hand in the industry.

Until government intervention happens outrage and harassment is basically the only tool the exploited have to try and fight back against it. Just ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away by not buying it or quitting the game, the sickness will only continue to spread that way.

This isn't backlash over something like females being an option or other cases like that where the backlash crowd deserves vitriol, its capitalist exploitation. The devs if they stand up to defend it deserve the vitriol that comes their way in that case and need to take it because the exploitation is not ok. It should never have been ok.

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
The freeloader comment rubs me the wrong way. You didn't make this game free out of the kindness of your heart, so don't try to guilt and bully players into spending money.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, fuck "professionalism", go off King. I fully support developers dragging shit-fuck entitled gamers. I mean look, we agree that loot boxes suck, etc. But I havn't felt the need to buy shit in Apex, and it's still one of the best games of the year. /shrug

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Said he remembered when players weren't asshats to developers.

I remember when color swaps and skins weren't $20 bucks a piece.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
You need to accept that these videogame companies are trying to make money. It doesn't matter how big or small they are.
fans are not upset about the existence of expensive skins. No one is against Respawn profiting off their game. Fans say "$18 is too much, but at least I can buy it straight up". They are asking for better quality at $18, but the major backlash isnt about this.

They are upset about lootboxes. There are posts by former addicts on the sub begging these companies to stop exploiting people. The reason why the discussion has lost civility is because this is one of many attempts by EA companies to normalize lootbox addiction.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
For all the "it's just cosmetics" crowd here, do yourself a favor and watch this video. Probably Jim's best video on the matter, with testimonies of people affected by "harmless cosmetics MTX"

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They knew the monetization would be received this way. "We have psychologists" blah blah just proves that they knew exactly what they were doing and figured there was a 50/50 chance that this would either go unnoticed because of built-up goodwill or explode, and the gamble would be worth it either way because $

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I dno I'm with the "toxic" gamers on this one. If your business strategy is legit psychological warfare designed to defraud people from as many of their "whale" dollars as you can get you deserve this sort of pushback. You can't subject people to this F2P exploitative, abusive, and borderline fraudulent nonsense and then roll out your OMG we're just poor developers why does everyone hate us spiel without expecting some sort of response.

I dno it's awfully hilarious to me when they're making a free product and then calling people freeloaders when they don't pay for it. lmao. Maybe they should start selling polaroids infront of tourist destinations.

I agree with you.

Nov 1, 2017
I have many issues with all of this. Respawn deserve a lot of the criticism they have received recently for their terrible monetisation "strategy" and the ridiculously hostile guy that couldn't spell needs to learn some manners and tips on how to talk like a rational, normal human being. It's easy to tar all people with the same "gamers are entitled and toxic" brush and lately that would appear to be the case but it's more representative of our society today and how the internet has gotten completely out of control rather than anything specifically isolated to gamers themselves.

You look at any "fandom" and see how the conversation goes. You have that insane youtube/instagram influencer culture where people are regularly going nuts over the slightest bit of drama, telling people to kill themselves and the whole <insert random person here> is CANCELLED etc etc. Kids at school are targeted for bullying and harassment far more than they were before the internet gave people the tools to completely infiltrate someones entire life.

It's basically shitty all around, none of this is exclusive to gamers. Then on the other side of the track we have developers and publishers using every greedy, horrible psychological trick in the book to pray on people's weaknesses and extract as much cash as possible from people. To that developer who remembered the "good old times"? Yeah, we remember too, when games were released as a whole package, didn't need constant day 1 patches to make things playable, didn't charge for cheat codes, didn't make you pay stupidly large amounts of money for cosmetic nonsense, the list goes on. In this respect Respawn can respectfully fuck right off. They released a game using the "whale" model where they themselves admit that they get the most revenue from exploiting whales and deliberately pushing out skin events that go way over the top hoping people don't kick up too much of a fuss that they have to "walk it back" after some "soul searching". If you release a game like that you don't get to sit on some sort of high horse, you're part of the problem.

In short: People are dicks, but that's always been the case, the internet just makes that voice that much louder. Publishers are dicks, but that's always been the case, lately they have just taken it so far that the internet is pushing back hard.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, nothing against making money. But their business tactics are disgusting. Especially since they tried to market Apex as 'PapEA going easy with the monetization and letting Respawn do whatever they want'.

I'm just pointing out that the idea that there is a "not greedy" game company out there is a fantasy. All companies are balancing what amount of money they can get vs. what market is willing to bear. Even for games that you deem ethical, it's because they determined that particular business practice was in their best interest.

That's not to to say that you have to buy microtransactions or support games that have monetization practices that you don't agree with. I think it's just important that people realize that making money is the top priority and no developer or publisher will be handing out or discounting stuff because of the kindness of their hearts.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I didn't been weird for devs to point out the bad apples. I mean weird that people seem content to take a small number of (and let me reiterate - still completely unacceptable) posts and view that as the entire "gamer side" of the argument/issue being pointed out by the community or something.
That's what I meant. It's not like game journos aren't doing the same more often than not when something like this pops up. It's the easiest way to deligitimize the other sides argument, by lumping everyone that disagrees with them together with the toxic parts.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, he is right.

I skimmed to the responses to the apology and some of them are just being dicks.

Respawn can charge whatever they want for skins and players can obviously voice their opinions without name calling or offending anyone. If you can't explain why you don't like something without offending the developers then you should be called on it.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Fortnite offers high quality reasonably priced MTX and because of that 70% of their playerbase spends money
Fortnite almost certainly does not have a 70% conversion rate.
I'm assuming you got that information from this article: https://lendedu.com/blog/finances-of-fortnite/

That study is good for pointing out what converters are paying for, but is not an adequate measure of actual conversion rate. This is because 3rd party surveys are almost all done with paid user acquisition campaigns (typically through Facebook), which means that only Facebook users who have posted enough about Fortnite for Facebook to associate them with the game will be targeted by the campaign. Past that, they must self-select into the survey, and the result is you have a hyper-engaged audience who is not representative of the actual playerbase.

For reference, when running similar campaigns for products I've worked out, we saw that respondent conversion rate could be up to 10x what the actual global conversion rate was. I would estimate Fortnite's conversion at a maximum of 25%, which is already extremely high.