• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
We're defending humans from other humans who are being vile, not the pricing model.

If you can't separate the two issues then you have another problem.
I think I missed something— what did the fans do that was vile?

as far as I know, they didnt accept respawns apology because respawn knew exactly what they were doing.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just find it weird lately that there seems to be a cherry picking of the worst comments and people who go too far, then those are pointed to as evidence that "gamers are trash". And "see devs are right" and the over critisism gets dismissed. We're in a high tension environment when it comes to customer-company relationships right now and I think it would be much more productive to say that collective voicing of displeasure is a good thing but the rude/asshole posts specifically are unacceptable, not the way to do it and should be pointed out as such.
It's not weird, it's working for them. Constantly pointing at the bad apples to never adress the point that is actually being made by everyone else. Get's you easy points with the "gamers are scum" crowd.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I'm struggling to believe Respawn's claim that price reductions have almost no uplift to revenue since most people are "freeloaders." Then why would they price items so high? Is it because they know that a small percentage of people (i.e. whales) actually buy this stuff?
That's correct. According to their "research" the percentage of people buying your cosmetics doesn't go up even if they drop the price, because freeloaders gonna freeload. Remember the skins might be $18, but you can't buy it for $18 outright. You have to buy the $20 pack first, so their actual price is $20.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I'll post what I've said in the OT:

[POST #1]
It's a bold move that in conjunction with your "you will be able to buy them for £15.99 now!!!" apology that you log on to the internet and then call people asshats, freeloaders, and dicks. I mean Reddit can be roiling shit, but if your job is Community Manager and you're stoking the flames with "reading comprehension" snark instead of just riding out the tough week, you've officially lost all ability to do your job going forward. That's not going back in the box, thats there now when you interact with your freeloaders.

The thing with the metrics on the store is that The Store Is Completely Shit, so any data gleaned from having one random skin with like 20% off its GIANT £15.99 PRICE TAG is not exactly gonna be the best. Especially when theres no fanfare on whats on sale, you're just expected to check the underwhelming store of 5 items every day and hope that One Of The Good Skins is up and you feel like finger blasting £12 on it. Things like Finishers have never been available on the store. They're unbuyable, Jerry! UNBUYABLE.

That they're still sticking with whatever their MTX designer is telling them is crazy after almost their entire base was enraged by their shenanigans last week. They just can't accept that the numbers have all been out of whack from the very start, and its the children that are wrong. Oh and perhaps not a good look for the health of the game to admit paying numbers are really low and that whale exploitation was gonna be the plan. Who are the "dicks" and "asshats" in that situation?

Beyond the people making the actual shootbang mechanics, they're not very good over at Respawn are they? They seem to make the most amateur level mistakes and decisions constantly that its baffling. EA must be consistently facepalming, which is saying something when they themselves fuck up consistently.

[POST #2]
(in response to it all being based on microenomic model data)
Its taking some microeconomics mathmatical model and applying it to a store where one single grody ass character skin is up for a week at £12.99, not £15.99, flanked by 4 shit gun skins, and trying to pretend the purity of the numbers alone should defend their wise choices.

What they've not done yet (but feels on the tip of their tongue) is point to Siege or Fortnite and say "we're just doing that, why aren't you buying!", ignoring the fact those games have more desirable skins and enamoured users. Instead they've pissed their base off in each Battle Pass and are now actively warring with them! If the numbers have been shit this entire time, they stubbornly decided to double down and assume people would find those skins worth it 'eventually'? Thats the kind of maniac you don't want calling the shots on your free-to-play game. You have to roll with the punches and change shit within the week, not three quarters of a year later.

Apex has a content production speed problem, progression problems, large network problems, and now a huge community communication problem. Might as well add a political opinions mode at this point.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't care for the freeloaders comment at all. These companies are here to make money. Anything they do will always come back to that, no matter what. Just like your boss, the company you work for, the government. Everyone will take from you, that is how the system is designed. The only way to resist is to let your voice be heard and hope you can gather a bunch of people on your side, in hopes of slightly tilting the balance back in your direction. Otherwise they'll just continue to screw us over and over again.
Yeah, that freeloader comment is rich coming from devs that design aggressive monetization to hook players into addictive behavior and overspending. I'm not excusing people for attacking devs, but the devs got to know by now that they will get reactions like this when they put egregious forms of monetization in their games. The moderators of that subreddit got to moderate better, and developers got to do better at communicating, because I'm highly skeptical at some of the claims the devs were making.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think we can agree on finding the whole spiel tiring, just for different reasons. I still remember when that out of season april fools joke guy at Blizzcon made game devs and jornos go apeshit on Twitter like he insulted everyone's family for voicing his disappointment.

Like, if death threats are made that's absolutely something that needs to be adressed and get handled appropriately. Toxic idiots should just get ignored though, and people who are the target of more or less legitimate cirticism should stop deflecting said criticism by constantly pointing to the inevatable assholes popping up.

Your example shows how the original point gets lost every single time. Is it because of the morons that post dumb shit or is it because the people who the original point is aimed at gladly take those morons' posts to not talk about said point anymore. Every. Time.

Okay, since you responded in good faith, I can at least do the same.

My original point was really that feel like there are a group of people who intentionally needle developers to get them to slip up and say something bad or mean, and then use that as additional ammunition on their crusade. I don't mean to downplay the concerns here, or to imply that the people with legitimate complaints are wrong.

I think the problem is that it's hard to ignore toxic idiots when you're the developer. Especially now, in the age of social media and Reddit and at a time when people are rightfully calling for greater transparency and communication in video games, it's harder to just ignore all the people who are assholes. For one, there are a lot of them. They form brigades easily. They can and will target games they don't even necessarily care that much about just to advance an ideological agenda (see: Ooblets and EGS). Then contrast that with people who, by the nature of their jobs, HAVE to keep lines of communication open to talk to their audience and keep them up to date. Especially if you're frontlines PR, you can't just close your DMs and your inbox. And even if you managed to do THAT, you'd still have to read Reddit and forums and Twitter to make sure you're taking in all the legitimate conversation surrounding your game.

That means that it's pretty likely that people working on games are going to have to read a certain amount of bullshit; it's unavoidable. And a couple of comments a week telling you what a shithead you are is probably easy to ignore. But roll out stuff like what Apex Legends did, and suddenly that's not a couple of comments, it's a flood.

We need a better way of handling this sort of thing. Is the current Apex Legends event over the line when it comes to abusive monetization? Yeah, probably. Is their most recent attempt to fix it sufficient? Jury's out. But there has to be a way to communicate this that doesn't immediately result in a portion of the audience going scorched earth. And it happens every time. Developers are just people too.

I know if I were in their place, I'd probably handle it even worse than that developer on Reddit. And I suppose that's fair if you want to say that would make me unfit for the job, but we're asking developers to not only be good at their programming or art or whatever jobs, we're also asking them to essentially take on the protective armor you'd normally associate with low-level celebrity. Not everyone needs or wants that kind of baggage, and increasingly it's a requirement of the job.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
And the industry continues to spiral into madness. I hope people don't end up getting actually hurt before someone manages to put a stop to all this.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Obviously I do not agree with attacking the devs about this.

But I'm also not surprised that they get reactions like this because we live in an environment where if you do not loudly voice your displeasure to businesses and companies about what you feel is anti-consumer you will be promptly ignored and nothing will change. That does not in anyway justify direct personal attacks against individual people are the company, obviously. They should be directing that displeasure in a broad sense toward the developer as a whole.

I just find it weird lately that there seems to be a cherry picking of the worst comments and people who go too far, then those are pointed to as evidence that "gamers are trash". And "see devs are right" and the over critisism gets dismissed. We're in a high tension environment when it comes to customer-company relationships right now and I think it would be much more productive to say that collective voicing of displeasure is a good thing but the rude/asshole posts specifically are unacceptable, not the way to do it and should be pointed out as such.

Instead I feel like we're getting this weird self-loathing "fuck gamers, I side with the devs" thing happening here lately whenever this happens when the reality is the vast majority of people are just trying to call out what they view as anti-consumer practices and are not acting this way.

Honestly I think it's just a mixture of things. The tone a lot of the loudest people take taint the conversation. You go on Reddit and see that a lot of dev posts are downvoted into the hundreds of negatives and lots of responses that aren't all that reasonable and the reasonable people are drowned out. Mix that in with some of the more unreasonable responses to things like Fl4K's nonbinary identity, BFV's tantrum over women and minorities (and BF1 to a lesser extent) and people start feeling disconnected with the community. That's where you start to see things like "GamersTM" coming from. Some users see the gaming community as always operating in hyperbole and it's tiring. I think that's a lot of what people are responding to here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I just find it weird lately that there seems to be a cherry picking of the worst comments and people who go too far, then those are pointed to as evidence that "gamers are trash" and "see devs are right" and the over-all criticism gets dismissed.

Did you read the same reddit thread I did? Cherry picking? Really?

Instead I feel like we're getting this weird self-loathing "fuck gamers, I side with the devs" thing happening here lately whenever this happens when the reality is the vast majority of people are just trying to call out what they view as anti-consumer practices and are not acting this way.

Because gamers as a whole do fucking suck. People here aren't siding with Respawn's pricing model. People are siding with their take that the way people treat them when they don't like something is appalling and it fucking is.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Can anyone answer what the cheapest amount is currently to get the Bloodhound heirloom axe cosmetic from the event?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I probably wouldn't have said something like that but it's the truth. The way I see people talk to and about developers even here about stuff that's ultimately just videogames is disgusting.

We're taught to take it on the chin where I work though.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That second comment is very toxic and fullm of expletives. Can't blame anyone for responding negatively to it.

But also the sentiment itself is one I agree with. The monetisation of modern AAA games has sucked.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Sorry but the title is misleading, the dick word for example was addressed to a specific person, not gamers as a whole. I avoid EA and imo they are in the wrong, the monetization in their games is absurd and they deserve the bad publish.

But let's not get carried away and spread lies.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Though call but reading that I'd say respawn is in the right.

Throwing a tantrum because you believe a skin is too expensive in a F2P game is childish. I don't have an issue with a game dev responding in an informal way to such claims.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's not weird, it's working for them. Constantly pointing at the bad apples to never adress the point that is actually made by everyone else. Get's you easy points with the "gamers are scum" people.

Oh, I didn't been weird for devs to point out the bad apples. I mean weird that people seem content to take a small number of (and let me reiterate - still completely unacceptable) posts and view that as the entire "gamer side" of the argument/issue being pointed out by the community or something.

Last edited:

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes you don't actually want a particular type of player in your game. That's when you tell them to fuck off.

Telling a forum full of unsatisfied consumers that they're freeloading dicks is just pathetic, unprofessional, and sad. Those posts have thousands of downvotes and is trending on Reddit now. So anyone not even involved will see him being a dickhead and view Respawn unfavorably.

Respawn don't deserve to be defended here. Just because some of the gaming community is toxic does not mean Respawn is in the right. It doesn't work that way.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
if you're someone whose closest relationship to this game is "I've played it sometimes," and you're arguing that their data (which you haven't seen) is bad, their MTX strategy (which you do not know) is not working, and their numbers (which you have no idea of) could be improved, I would really love to know why you think you have absolutely any clue what you're talking about

J.Gusto

Oct 25, 2017
Binghamton, NY
How are people defending the developers?! I dont care what provoked it, those are some very unprofessional replies. A lot of people have valid complaints towards their game right now, and they pretty much referred to all of them as "dicks", "ass-hats" and "freeloaders"

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Telling a forum full of unsatisfied consumers that they're freeloading dicks is just pathetic, unprofessional, and sad.

Where does he call them freeloading dicks? I remember him calling them freeloaders because they don't spend money on the game and one commenter a dick.

The only generalized insult was gamers not being asshats to devs and that's very much true.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
How are people defending the developers?! I dont care what provoked it, those are some very unprofessional replies. A lot of people have valid complaints towards their game right now, and they pretty much referred all of them as "dicks", "ass-hats" and "freeloaders"

It's just the mentality of gamers = toxic. In some cases, sure, that's on point but not here in my opinion. I mean we're talking about a game that's trying to charge upwards of $200 to complete a single in game event. They deserve to be checked here.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but the title is misleading, the dick word for example was addressed to a specific person, not gamers as a whole. I avoid EA and imo they are in the wrong, the monetization in their games is absurd and they deserve the bad publish.

But let's not get carried away and spread lies.
I mean if you want to be precise here they said "I remember when gamers werent ass hats", someone responds, "oh, here is one of those dicks I was talking about". So obviously "ass hats" and "dicks" are interchangeable in the broader context here. They are calling everyone dicks, so lets not split hairs over "they only called everyone ass hats"

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
It seems immature all around. Babies vs babies.

That's the industry these days though. And politics, and media, etc. These are indeed toxic times.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Ya know, I do remember a time when people weren't assholes to each other. It was when we couldn't communicate that easily through online that things went so well. Any Joe Schmoe can go online and a jerk now.

Now we have devs and gamers cursing each other out. What a time to be alive. Back in the days, we'd be happy receiving a written/typed letter back from a developer if we were lucky enough.

The internet was a mistake.

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
The inherent problem with dev hate is that unless we are talking like someone in a position of authority in development, most devs don't make the decisions gamers don't like. Monetization is not usually something devs love. It's a reality forced onto them by management or a publisher.

Do you think most devs wanted to make paid skins, or grindy content, or incredibly predatory monetization schemes? Most want to make a game. Not only that, but most love games with a passion. Otherwise, why would they stay in an industry that underpays and undervalues its labor so much?

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Did you read the same reddit thread I did? Cherry picking? Really?

Yes? I've been on that subreddit several times this week. Most posts are completely reasonable and just pointing out displeasure. Some, like in the OP, are trash and should be pointed out as trash. But the overall sentiment of the people complaining is not in any way unreasonable and it's in-fact a good thing that people are willing to point out when they are unhappy with something that a dev is doing (imo).

Even if you don't agree that it's anti-consumer, people pointing out that they think something is anti-consumer as a group is a good thing if done respectfully.

Because gamers as a whole do fucking suck. People here aren't siding with Respawn's pricing model. People are siding with their take that the way people treat them when they don't like something is appalling and it fucking is.

"Gamers as a whole fucking suck" just seems like such a disingenuous comment to me. Over 50% of all people who play video games suck? That just makes no sense at all. Allocating these (awful) posts to the entire community for a game (or the majority at least) just seems so disingenuous to me.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
That second comment is very toxic and fullm of expletives. Can't blame anyone for responding negatively to it.

But also the sentiment itself is one I agree with. The monetisation of modern AAA games has sucked.

Predatory mtx that is designed to exploit addictive personalities is as toxic as it gets imo. That is what makes situations like this very difficult. Lives are actually ruined by bad mtx and I think what is most infuriating is that Respawn did this AFTER the BF2 debacle. It's like no lessons were learned at all. These companies have very few morals when in comes to exploiting their players with systems that are literally designed for addiction.

It sucks that there are losers out there that can't form an arguement and just call people names and harass devs because the people at the top of these exploitative companies use these harassing posts to shield themselves and alter the discussion all the while making bank on addicts.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I think the freeloader remark is totally unwarranted. They decided to make it free to play and finance it by ripping off whales. It is their business model to give the game for free to people to get vulnerable people hooked instead of selling the game for a fixed price. To then have the galls to complain about "freeloaders", i.e. people who followed their scheme but did not get hooked as whales is not unprofessional, it is unreflective of their own business model. The whole system is designed to profit off people who use the game for free, as well, by improving the player mass and therefore the amount of vulnerable people entering the business place. If all the free players were gone, their whales would be gone with them.

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
I don't think the dev "shamed" anyone for not paying the game, they made a f2p game and understand that not everyone is capable of paying for stuff and said as much with the "and we love that," parentheses at the end of "freeloaders".
I see where you are coming from. Nevertheless I still think that it's not a good idea to bring such negative connotated terminology into a heated discussion.
I understand and see that a part of any community will always consist of toxic assholes. I just think that professionals should always stand above them and attack their ideas (where appropriate) but never the person or alternatively ignore them completely.

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Predatory mtx that is designed to exploit addictive personalities is as toxic as it gets imo. That is what makes situations like this very difficult. Lives are actually ruined by bad mtx and I think what is most infuriating is that Respawn did this AFTER the BF2 debacle. It's like no lessons were learned at all. These companies have very few morals when in comes to exploiting their players with systems that are literally designed for addiction.

It sucks that there are losers out there that can't form an arguement and just call people names and harass devs because the people at the top of these exploitative companies use these harassing posts to shield themselves and alter the discussion all the while making bank on addicts.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh no, western devs acting like kamya has been acting from 2 decades now, and even if we all love his games, how dare them!!

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
So respawn made a game free-to-play, and when people played their game for free, they're "freeloaders"? I don't fucking get it anymore. Why not put a price tag on your game then?