• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I think we need a sticky at the top of the forums explaining what a battlepass is :D

Maybe add more general jargon in there

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they added a description to that livestream and it has nothing to do with the battlepass.

RIP

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am fairly interested to see what they do with the battlepass in terms of challenges. Fortnite's passes are super fun because they add some stuff to do that isn't murder each week. Sure it's mostly silly stuff like dancing in front of signs, doing tricks with golf carts, or diving through rings, but it added a nice amount of variety to the game just so you're occasionally doing something besides trying to win.

I'm not sure that kind of stuff really works with Apex. Since it squads you up always, anything that encourages people to not play in the most efficient way to win is gonna just result in a load of complaining. "BATTLE PASS MADES RANDOMS SUCK EVEN MORE AHHHHH". So if it's just "play the game a lot and unlock a skin more often" I'm not sure how compelling that's gonna be. There won't be the excitement of new weeks of challenges opening up if the challenges are just stuff like "kill X people".

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
What's a battlepass?

I could google it but can't be arsed and want someone to explain it to me so I don't have to do anything.

Although if I think about it the time it took me to type this I could have just googled 'what's a battlepass'.
What's google? I hear about this on the news sometimes.

Thankfully the battlepass provides some needed new content, as earning crates becomes extremely tedious after a while... and it's not like there are many modes, maps or anything else that can be done currently.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Sorry for being a scrub, but as someone who is new to BR/F2P games (AL is my first), what is a battle pass?

Edit: NM, will try and catch up with previous responses.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have this many of you really never even tried Fortnite?

The battle pass questions are blowing my mind.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Correct. Everything about Apex's monetization is so gross. I would have thrown way more money at the game if it didn't all feel so goddamn scammy. I'll probably pick up the season pass, but they need to look at their game economy and monetization schemes.

I expected better from Respawn.
What do you mean expect better? You are literally mad because playing dress up on your fake video game characters isn't to your liking. Just play the game and have fun with it.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This will end well....

tOOvibU.png

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah

Right like if this is your first multiplayer game sure ask it even tho you should just google it ya know.. but like battlepasses have been the hot thing the last 2 years and if your on this site then your pretty savvy to games so I find it hard to Beleive that so many people don't know what it is. But Mabey I'm just a BatTle royal maniac that's plays anything envolving me parachuting onto a island to kill people.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhhhh nothing is happening on that livestream.

Hope we will have some news later today

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
What do you mean expect better? You are literally mad because playing dress up on your fake video game characters isn't to your liking. Just play the game and have fun with it.

Am I literally angry? Am I not having fun playing Apex? You can like something and still be critical of aspects of it. Stay defensive because I questioned the market practices of a game you like, I guess.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
P
Geez. I really hope they announce it now xD
Ya I mean this is all one respawn. Love them but when people are begging you to let them give you money. Like literally begging to throw money at you, and you say it's coming out in March and then don't really say anything when March hits we'll that seems a little weird. But they diffenitly know more then me when it comes to game design so I'm sure they know what's up.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They could, you know, sell it for actual money instead of EA bucks designed solely to abstract purchasing and push people to spend more.

If the battlepass cost 10 dollars outright you wouldn't be able to buy it with the coins you get by subbing to ea access. So if i was already a sub to ea access id have to spend an additional 10 dollars for the Apex legends battle pass. This seems like a way to allow users to spend as little as possible if thats what they want. Also if this battlepass is anything like Fortnites, ill be able to earn the ingame currency that will allow me to buy the next battlepass, where as if it were just 10 dollars, it would likely be 10 dollars every season, similar to a game like RB6 siege that requires you to buy a season pass every year if you want instant access to the new operators.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'll probably give them money for this just because I've enjoyed the absolute shit out of this game and paid zero dollars so far.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Battlepasses are a decent solution to lootboxes. Tempted for this one, but i've been hoarding and holding off on getting heroes to see what the latest hero is.

Hopefully still able to buy Octane with in-game currency?

Still a relatively new concept to most people i think.

I experienced my first BP with Rocket League.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Really weird how hesitant they are to reveal information about something that will make them lots of money and people are chomping at the bit to throw money at.

Spruchy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really weird how hesitant they are to reveal information about something that will make them lots of money and people are chomping at the bit to throw money at.

Not really weird, first impressions are huge and if this is percieved as shite they may lose tons of potential $$$.

Nov 18, 2017
Fortnite's Battle Passes are amazing because of the challenges you need to perform to gets unlocks.

It's trickier for straight shooters to replicate as they don't have so many interactivity options. Like Black Ops 4's Black Market was basically just another time-based levelling system.

Interested to see what Respawn can do.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So if I throw $5 at Origin Access basic I get enough coin in Apex to nab the first season pass and I can play Titanfall 2 on PC for the next month?! That's a steal.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's cool. If they could ever fix the disconnects I get or add the ability to reconnect to an effing game I'd be in.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
My Access trial expired a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering if I should use the 10% for a bunch of Apex coins. If this rumor holds, I should have. There was another rumor before saying you'd have to pony up cash to buy it instead of Apex coins.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Fortnite's Battle Passes are amazing because of the challenges you need to perform to gets unlocks.

It's trickier for straight shooters to replicate as they don't have so many interactivity options. Like Black Ops 4's Black Market was basically just another time-based levelling system.

Interested to see what Respawn can do.
There are a lot of stats that are tracked, such as zipline use, portal use, and lots of other auxiliary stats, so I can see a lot of challenges based around those.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what we'll see

Fortnite has fun taunts and skins. This game seems a bit too serious for Overwatch styled content

Guessing animated gun skins and banner art

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017

I honestly think this is isolated to Era. Fortnite and how it works is pretty common knowledge to the most casual gamers I know. It's even all over media, including sports and the younger players talking about it.