• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just finishing my review as we speak - game is really good guys. Not very long but extremely satisfying with an incredible dynamic soundtrack and a super neat art style :)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the GiantBomb quicklook.

Man this looks fucking GREAT.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this game before, but the GameXplain review kinda sold me on it...

Oct 27, 2017
1. Yes, just search "Chimp Out" on Google. A Daily Stormer article is one of the first 10 results.

2. I agree that I'm probably making something out of nothing here. But I feel like other developers have done less and gotten more outrage.
Humm...it is indeed suspect, but I seriously doubt Devolver would let that shit fly if the devs are being malicious with the name.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Nah, that shit is suspect. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm def passing on this shit now just off GP.

I'm a bit torn. On the one hand I think the developer means no harm by the name. But at the same time I feel like there are better options. "Go Ape" would probably be just as effective and not have nearly the same level of skeeze.

The game looks really fun and I do want to support it.

s1lver

Oct 28, 2017
Chimp = A kind of Ape

"Chimp Out" - A common phrase used by the alt-right to describe black people going crazy.

Thank you for explaining that, I had no idea that that was an expression.
Frankly I still don't think it's a bad name and there was no bad intentions or any relation to that expression in here, but yeah there are way better options for a title.

I still want to play this, game looks fun and I believe there's no harm intended on that title.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
1. Yes, just search "Chimp Out" on Google. A Daily Stormer article is one of the first 10 results.

2. I agree that I'm probably making something out of nothing here. But I feel like other developers have done less and gotten more outrage.

I think you're being extremely unfair here. The game isn't even using the phrase you mention.

It's literally a game about an ape going crazy.

Calling out any phrase remotely similar to what some idiot bigots use on some websites normal people don't even know exist is giving them unnecessary publicity and power.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going Ape is an old adage, meaning to go crazy...which is what I'm pretty sure is meant here. (That and a play on the fact that it stars a gorilla.)

Edit: And after watching the quick look, it's literally about an Ape breaking out of some facility.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
And now there is a controversy on the name... Sigh...

It's a catchy name that sounds good, a pun on wipe out.
Maybe one should give devs that didn't show anything suspiscious before or inside the game the benefit of the doubt before immediately deducing the worst thing.

Smerdyakov

Nov 13, 2017
1. you're an ape going crazy 2. you are escaping a research lab. when you escape it flashes "APE OUT" on the screen.

So it's like a play on words.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Thank you for explaining that, I had no idea that that was an expression.
Frankly I still don't think it's a bad name and there was no bad intentions or any relation to that expression in here, but yeah there are way better options for a title.

I still want to play this, game looks fun and I believe there's no harm intended on that title.

I completely agree with you, I'm probably projecting way too hard on this and being very unfair. I have zero doubt the devs had no negative intentions with the name, one of them was Bennett Foddy who has worked as a philosophy professor and is by all accounts a super smart guy.