• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
ApeEscapeNACover.jpg

On this day twenty years ago, Sony Computer Entertainment released the 3D platformer Ape Escape on the original PlayStation, becoming the first game to require the use of the DualShock controller. It was loved by critics and fans alike, and went on to spawn several sequels and spin-offs, a remake, an anime, a cartoon series, appearances in other games like MGS3 and PlayStation All-Stars, and of course, hella toys. Feel free to drop some love for some of gaming's most iconic monkeys and also lament the fact that we haven't seen a new mainline entry in 14 years. RIP

4UejEgG.gif

tumblr_oo74dygqU11qjztgpo1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_ovvhwkv9Eq1sncd4to2_400.gif

TornCarelessCooter-small.gif

tumblr_o4npo1tVSG1rdsyzho1_500.gif

tumblr_nj7x9vxymr1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Jun 14, 2018
Wasn't there a rumour that Sony were doing something with Ape Escape? Something about a website being updated for the first time in like 15 years.

If Sony are willing to remake MediEvil of all things PS1-era, I'm sure Ape Escape will return. Wouldn't mind an Ape Escape title at launch of PS5. You know... instead of fellow Japan Studio platformer Knack 3.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first one, and recently played Ape Escape 2 (less brilliant, but still fun!)
I really would love to see another chapter... also the monkeys are so funny and a perfect mascot in my hopinion, they should use them more!

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, 20 years?! I remember going to Wal-Mart and buying it with saved up allowance money like it was yesterday.

OP
OP
Neat

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Wasn't there a rumour that Sony were doing something with Ape Escape? Something about a website being updated for the first time in like 15 years.

If Sony are willing to remake MediEvil of all things PS1-era, I'm sure Ape Escape will return. Wouldn't mind an Ape Escape title at launch of PS5. You know... instead of fellow Japan Studio platformer Knack 3.
That's right. The Japanese Ape Escape website updated recently for the first time in 8 years. Maybe we'll be seeing some Ape Escape related stuff very soon.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
i'm sure one day Ape Escape will come back, all these other PS1 games are so it has to be coming soon

(also 3 is the best game fight me)

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

This is probably what a modern-day Ape Escape would look like. Lots of fields and forests, trees everywhere, tall grass to hide in and kinda drab in its colour palette. And it's got to be open world. Obviously.

That's how Japan Studio convinces Sony to greenlight a new Ape Escape.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I need an HD remaster trilogy on the level of Crash and Spyro.

But just keep the original game's music. They butchered a number of songs in the PSP version of the original Ape Escape.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I just want to say that while I've never played an Ape Escape game, Spike was my main in Playstation All-Stars.

Easier than capturing monkeys!

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ape Escape was soooo good. Didn't know there was a japanese CGI series that aired for 6 years too and adapted some of the games story.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the demo of the first one dozens of times back in the day, but never got around to actually buying it. A few years ago a friend lent me his copy. The game still feels fresh and remains very playable, with nice colorful graphics.

But I have never played the sequels, I don't know if they are as good.

Oct 30, 2017
I miss the apes so much :-(

The original is still my favorite because of the music and atmosphere specially the last level, was pure genies.

.... will Sony ever gives us a new one? do they even care about the IP anymore?

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
The music in that game is without a doubt one of the best soundtracks ever released. It's like a really childish but more digestible Aphex Twin sometimes but there is some fucking amazing songs in there that inspired me to experiment with Jungle/IDM:

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't the biggest Ape Escape fan (not to say I'm a hater though), but it's crazy how hard the series has been dropped since the PS2 era

Though it's crazier how I'm almost expecting them not to do anything

(They better be doing something for the 20th anniversary)

This IP deserved better.

I don't disagree but this series got a crazy amount of support at one point

I mean I'm reading on Wikipedia right now that this series got 2 TV shows at one point

As far as like Sony owned series go, only like, Wild Arms and PaRappa are on that level (though they only had 1 show), and even then PaRappa petered out way quicker while Wild Arms didn't get nearly as many spinoffs overall

Like I said, it's crazy how busy the series was

I just want to say that while I've never played an Ape Escape game, Spike was my main in Playstation All-Stars.

Easier than capturing monkeys!

Spike was pretty fun, even if he was a solid character at best in that game

The Time Station stage in PSBR was great though. It had a damn good remix of Time Station that got me listening to Ape Escape's soundtrack for a while.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Felt like such an innovative game at the time with its use of the dualshock. Remember being blown away at my friends house and buying immediately once I got my PSone. Still one of my favorites of all time

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Games deserve more respect. I remember Ape Escape being the first game I played with my brand new analog stick dualshock. It was so incredible being able to swing the net in any direction I wanted.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Ape Escape was a series I always wanted as a kid but could never find anywhere, I would love a remaster collection or new one someday.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017

This is probably what a modern-day Ape Escape would look like. Lots of fields and forests, trees everywhere, tall grass to hide in and kinda drab in its colour palette. And it's got to be open world. Obviously.

That's how Japan Studio convinces Sony to greenlight a new Ape Escape.
I'm envisioning Bloodborne... but with monkeys.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I played the shit outta this trilogy when I was little. It was so good.
And that entire game within a game with Mesal Gear Solid: Snake Escape ?
Soooo goooood.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I need an HD remaster trilogy on the level of Crash and Spyro.

But just keep the original game's music. They butchered a number of songs in the PSP version of the original Ape Escape.

This is actually a bit of a misconception if i'm remembering correctly (and I may not be) because they actually "un"butchered them -- the PSP version uses Terada's original compositions where the PS1 version had to use simplified versions, similar to how Crash's music was midified and used smaller compressed samples. But I do tend to agree -- often the concessions they had to make translating the songs to the hardware on PS1 made them better musically IMO

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was the first game I got on my PlayStation back when I was 8 or 9 yrs old and it remains my favorite game to this day. An interconnected, semi-open world Ape Escape that's fashioned in the likeness of Jak & Daxter 1 would be great. Fuck Knack, that's what Japan Studio needs to work on. Anyway back on topic, Ape Escape some of the best characters, levels, gadgets, and especially music to grace any game. Happy Birthday Ape Escape, Spike, Jake, Specter, Professor, Natalie, and those 204 crazy ass monkeys!

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is actually a bit of a misconception if i'm remembering correctly (and I may not be) because they actually "un"butchered them -- the PSP version uses Terada's original compositions where the PS1 version had to use simplified versions, similar to how Crash's music was midified and used smaller compressed samples. But I do tend to agree -- often the concessions they had to make translating the songs to the hardware on PS1 made them better musically IMO

I've never heard that before. A couple tracks make me think that can't be the case. The castle theme, for example, is probably the worst offender of this.

PS1:

PSP:

The PSP version is just straight up different, from the more electronic-based moments to the fact that the amazing strings are almost completely drowned out for the "bass drop" sound.