• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

abcnews.go.com

Supreme Court hands down major decision reaffirming abortion rights in Louisiana case

The Supreme Court announced its ruling on the Louisiana abortion case June Medical Services v. Russo.

The Supreme Court announced a major ruling on abortion, deciding that the Louisiana law should not stand.
The opinion was written by Justice Stephen Breyer, joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan. Chief Justice John Roberts also filed an opinion concurring for the majority.
The case, June Medical Services v. Russo, was a challenge to a Louisiana law that required abortion providers have admitting privileges with a nearby hospital -- an agreement between a doctor and a hospital that allows a patient to go that hospital if they need urgent care.
Abortion providers argued this was an unnecessary requirement unrelated to health outcomes that only served to prevent them from being able to provide abortion care. Admitting privileges can be difficult for abortion providers to obtain as hospitals do not want to be associated with them due to the stigma and as abortion is a statistically safe procedure, requiring extremely limited numbers of patients to have to go to hospitals for care.

Last edited:

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
That's a great win but I'm so tired of these 5-4 rulings. What is it with this conservative judges?

also, is Roberts doing this as an anti-Trump movement because if so lol

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Thank God.

It was the clear and obvious decision, since it was basically the exact same fact pattern as a case from 2 or 3 years ago, but nonetheless, thank God. You can never be sure how these howler monkeys are going to contort themselves to justify doing what they want, so this is a relief.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Roberts with a great vote again. A conservative with a conscience. I was told they exist, this is just the first time im seeing one in action.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Kavanaugh votes exactly like everyone thought. Susan Collins is very concerned.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I think we are in a situation that while yes the SC has more conservatives now, the GOP is so far right now that they have turned some of the conservatives on the SC moderate?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trump:

aTTWiNN.png

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
This was like the biggest thing Evangelicals expected from Trump in their unending love for him. Makes me happy that a bunch of bigots are crying today.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm crossing my fingers that this will disparage a number of Trump voters in November.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Roberts maybe actually looking at that legacy angle and doesn't want to be seen as a Trumper.
Roberts not wanting his judicial legacy to be presiding over a nakedly partisan SC is the thread holding these 5-4 rulings together. He values the institution over his personal politics, but if the balance was switched I have little doubt it'd go the other way for the same reasons. Not an ally per se, but still a sorely needed perspective given the current makeup of the court.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
This Roberts redemption arc is pretty interesting. Wonder if the writers will have it lasting through the rest of the season.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Roberts with a great vote again. A conservative with a conscience. I was told they exist, this is just the first time im seeing one in action.
His vote gutted the Voting Rights Act that possibly gave us Trump. That act is unforgivable.

Did you see those huge lines in Atlanta, in black neighborhoods? That was because of him.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
That's a great win but I'm so tired of these 5-4 rulings. What is it with this conservative judges?

also, is Roberts doing this as an anti-Trump movement because if so lol

Yup. Annoying isn't it. It's why when I hear 'What about the Constitution?!!' for whatever argument being made by the right I do a little chuckle. Lot's of conservative tentpoles would fall apart if looked through a true Constitutionalist lens

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Great news. Thank god the Texas case came when Kennedy was still in so Roberts had to follow that precedent.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
I think we are in a situation that while yes the SC has more conservatives now, the GOP is so far right now that they have turned some of the conservatives on the SC moderate?
Not quite, but arguments before the court are now more explicitly tailored to the specific kinds of conservatism represented on the bench, whether it's Gorsuch's "textualism" which helped in the CRA case or Roberts's fondness for stare decisis which provided the 5th vote here.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I think Roberts didn't want to screw over Kennedy in overturning his previous decision.

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
Great news. Makes me happy for people in my state seeking safe, legal abortions. It's still way too hard to access them, but hopefully this ruling will stick and open the door for a better future.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A lot of people seemed to think this was going to go the other way. I had a feeling Roberts would do the right thing here though.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was a nice test case in that they basically already had this case but wanted to try again with gorsuch and kavanaugh

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
A Bush appointed judge is literally holding the fort down. Who would have predicted that? Roberts doesn't want his court to look like a mockery.

Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing but I am terrified of having another Conservative Justice anytime soon, Biden HAS to win this year.

Anyways, a win is a win.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
This Roberts redemption arc is pretty interesting. Wonder if the writers will have it lasting through the rest of the season.

Ah as has been mentioned already, his vote here isn't one where he actually supports the decision. He voted as to not overturn a previous ruling on a similar case.

OP
OP
cameron

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Craig Caplan @CraigCaplan

Alito dissented along w/Gorsuch, Thomas & Kavanaugh: "Today's decision claims new victims.The divided majority cannot agree on what the abortion right requires,but it nevertheless strikes down La law that the legislature enacted for asserted purpose of protecting women's health."

Kavanaugh dissenting: "In short, I agree with Justice Alito that the Court should remand the case for a new trial and additional factfinding under the appropriate legal standards."

10:39 AM · Jun 29, 2020

Ronald Brownstein @RonBrownstein

But Kavanaugh, despite assurances from @SenatorCollins that he views abortion rights as "settled law," votes to severely restrict abortion access in LA.

10:32 AM · Jun 29, 2020

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I think Roberts didn't want to screw over Kennedy in overturning his previous decision.
It's not about Kennedy specifically. He already stated he didn't agree with it, but won't vote to go against something they already ruled on. Hence the change from yes then, to no now..

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's trying to make the SCOTUS not look like a partisan joke, which has been their goal for decades.
Or at least make it so it can't be blamed on him.

Yeah right now he's the sole conservative who actually cares about not breaking the hell out of precedent for the sake of Republican goals. If conservatives take over the SCOTUS he'll probably join them because he'll just be a voice in the choir. He doesn't want to be the dealbreaker.

Like Lincoln Project, Roberts is an ally of circumstance, not of choice. Use him while we can, but be ready to toss him when the time comes.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I think he's trying to make the SCOTUS not look like a partisan joke, which has been their goal for decades.
Or at least make it so it can't be blamed on him.
Yep, it's a legacy thing for him. He can see the writing on the wall with this administration. I think if Trump had been a more traditional evil republican president... say a Bush, he might have had better cover to go the other way. But now, in Trump times, he doesn't want to be seen as a political stooge. I could be wrong of course, but seems like it might factor in.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great news. Sad that my democratic governor tried to pass such a bill.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Even though Roberts only ruled the way he did because of precedent (which an honorable conservative justice should respect), I still appreciate that he chose to not be a hypocrite and go against it just to appease his beliefs.