• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AP is reporting that NASCAR is looking to avoid the George Floyd protests, something that has Bubba Wallace frustrated:

apnews.com

NASCAR looks to steer clear of protests over George Floyd

HAMPTON, Ga. (AP) — NASCAR has a checkered racial history. From an affinity for Confederate flags among the fan base to a driver losing his job just this season for casually uttering a racial slur, the good ol’ boys have never been known for diversity. Maybe it’s not surprising this mostly white...

HAMPTON, Ga. (AP) — NASCAR has a checkered racial history.

From an affinity for Confederate flags among the fan base to a driver losing his job just this season for casually uttering a racial slur, the good ol' boys have never been known for diversity.

Maybe it's not surprising this mostly white sport seemed hesitant to join the national outrage over the death of George Floyd while in police custody — a striking contrast to its rush to be the first major sport to return during the coronavirus pandemic.

Trucks driver Matt Crafton was asked about the protests in all 50 states and around the world demanding an end to police brutality against African Americans.

"I just try to stay off social media," said Crafton, clearly uncomfortable with the subject. "At the end of the day, there's a lot to talk about. I don't try to get involved in a lot. That's a terrible thing that happened to the gentleman in Minneapolis. But there's a lot of things going on that I'd rather not talk about."

Bubba Wallace, the only African American in the top-level Cup series, expressed frustration that so many drivers were reluctant to speak out.

"A few drivers — a very few — have given their opinion on the day's matter and I appreciate that," Wallace said on Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s podcast. "But the silence from the top drivers in our sport is beyond frustrating. ... Our sport has always had somewhat of a racist label to it. NASCAR — everybody thinks redneck, Confederate flag, racists — and I hate it. I hate that because I know NASCAR is so much more."

"I said do you all not care about what's going on in the world?" Wallace said. "That's not the right way to go about it. Our voices carry so much more weight than Joe Schmo from down the street. I mentioned we've got to do better, we've got to step up for everybody to say what they feel."

Seven-time Cup champion Jimmie Johnson, in his final season as a full-time driver, reached out to Wallace to ask what he could do.

"That's a big question I have for myself right now," said Johnson, who will be honored on what could be his final race in Atlanta by having a grandstand named after him. "When you sit down and listen, you realize there's a lot of injustices taking place across a broad spectrum. As a representative of our sport and just a citizen, it's really time to listen. I look forward to the journey that takes me on and the ways I can be active."

Even though African Americans are rare in NASCAR, Johnson said he was taken aback at what Wallace has gone through to reach the top echelon.

"I had no idea the challenges he was faced with," Johnson conceded. "I want to have a voice. I want to stand up to injustices. I'm trying to find that voice. Part of that journey is educating myself. I'm very deep into that."

Johnson acknowledged that taking a stand against racism and police brutality could spark a backlash from some NASCAR fans.

"Obviously, this a very divisive topic," he said. "But you've got to follow your heart and positions that you believe in. It's hard to live your life worrying about other people. You've got to let the passion in your life shine through. The things you believe in, you need to follow that.

"Ultimately, I feel a need to have a voice in this. I'm still trying to find that voice, but I'm being pulled this way more than I have other times. There's just something inside of me that makes me feel like I need to do it."

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if the racist wheel nut fits...

Not surprised to see NASCAR reluctant in this regard. They're out to make money, and this would piss of a more significant part of their base than most of the other major sports. Drew Brees land.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
" Our sport has always had somewhat of a racist label to it. NASCAR — everybody thinks redneck, Confederate flag, racists — and I hate it. I hate that because I know NASCAR is so much more."

...maybe not that much more, when taking a stand against racism and police brutality is "a very divisive topic"

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
AP do you really have to make a driving pun? DO YOU REALLY?

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
They literally just had drama 2 months ago with one of their drivers dropping hard Rs on stream. People in the comments on the story were angry saying that was damaging to the perception of NASCAR.

It's what NASCAR is.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): inflammatory generalizations
Of course not, NASCAR fans are racist, mouthbreathing, brainless hillbillies. That's their bread and butter and that's why the sport will disappear one day.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Bubba guy defended that racist driver by saying everybody deserves second chances and now no support for him from that community, you played yourself

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
I for one am shocked that a sport whose fanbase is dominated by white trash is hesitant about taking a stand against racism.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Bubba being as good as Lewis Hamilton is Nascar's only hope. Lewis has been dragging F1 along all by himself but it's shown a lot of the younger drivers that they can have a voice.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
" Our sport has always had somewhat of a racist label to it. NASCAR — everybody thinks redneck, Confederate flag, racists — and I hate it. I hate that because I know NASCAR is so much more."

...maybe not that much more, when taking a stand against racism and police brutality is "a very divisive topic"
could be a good slogan though

"NASCAR: More Than Just Racism"

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
and like that, decades of "NASCAR ISN'T JUST FOR REDNECKS" dissipated yet again in an instance. Again.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds about right. I was telling somebody last night that if the ALM crowd actually stuck to their promise of not buying from BLM supporting companies from now on then all that they'd have left is Nascar and cousin fucking.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

Although the NHL could and should do better, you can't put the two on the same level. A quick look at the Twitter feeds of the two organizations shows a stark difference. The NHL's has been tweeting and retweeting supportive messages everyday for the last week.

NHL players have been a lot more outspoken than NASCAR racers as well.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
anyone surprised by Nascar being racist just've just heard about Nascar.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has always lived in a metro area, I've never met anyone who's outwardly a NASCAR fan or has told me they are one.

The sport might as well not exist in my eyes if not for the ESPN highlights and car crash videos I see once in a blue moon.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
One of my good friends as a kid in Texas does stock car racing, I haven't kept contact with him in like 20 years but I'm sure at the lower circuits that was a struggle for a person of color. Same with a girl I kept a little bit closer too, to be honest, I doubt it's easy for women either. It sucks their hobby is so ingrained with bullshit.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just waiting for those 2 or 3 pro NASCAR posters to turn up to defend them just like they did in the last racism thread. Or maybe they won't because this is institutional racism rather than on person where they can claim plausible deniability and argue #notallnascars.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Frankly, I'm surprised the NFL made any statement - toothless as theirs was. But NASCAR absolutely isn't going to get involved - unless they go full Blue Lives Matter.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
I have always associated them with Confederate flag loving ignorant rednecks. If they aren't, then prove me wrong Nascar.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Although the NHL could and should do better, you can't put the two on the same level. A quick look at the Twitter feeds of the two organizations shows a stark difference. The NHL's has been tweeting and retweeting supportive messages everyday for the last week.

NHL players have been a lot more outspoken than NASCAR racers as well.
Sure. But we shouldn't forget where they were just a few years ago. They too have been slow for change.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Sad to see the governing body not do anything but the drivers and sponsors are, so that's good at least. It won't stop ignorant people here making shitty blanket statements though.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
89hkt90H_o.png

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see the governing body not do anything but the drivers and sponsors are, so that's good at least. It won't stop ignorant people here making shitty blanket statements though.

Yeah, it's about the best we can hope for, sadly. The governing body is just too far behind the times on the social issues front. I've actually been pleasantly surprised how vocal some of the drivers have been with support.