• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

LAHORE, Pakistan (AP) — Page after page, the names stack up: 629 girls and women from across Pakistan who were sold as brides to Chinese men and taken to China. The list, obtained by The Associated Press, was compiled by Pakistani investigators determined to break up trafficking networks exploiting the country's poor and vulnerable.
The list gives the most concrete figure yet for the number of women caught up in the trafficking schemes since 2018.
But since the time it was put together in June, investigators' aggressive drive against the networks has largely ground to a halt. Officials with knowledge of the investigations say that is because of pressure from government officials fearful of hurting Pakistan's lucrative ties to Beijing.

The biggest case against traffickers has fallen apart. In October, a court in Faisalabad acquitted 31 Chinese nationals charged in connection with trafficking. Several of the women who had initially been interviewed by police refused to testify because they were either threatened or bribed into silence, according to a court official and a police investigator familiar with the case. The two spoke on condition of anonymity because they feared retribution for speaking out.

Several senior officials familiar with the events said investigations into trafficking have slowed, the investigators are frustrated, and Pakistani media have been pushed to curb their reporting on trafficking. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they feared reprisals.
"No one is doing anything to help these girls," one of the officials said. "The whole racket is continuing, and it is growing. Why? Because they know they can get away with it. The authorities won't follow through, everyone is being pressured to not investigate. Trafficking is increasing now."
He said he was speaking out "because I have to live with myself. Where is our humanity?"

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After seeing constant news like this how can anyone say they rather have China over the US as the world leader?

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oh no, who would have predicted the one child policy would result in this /s.

Glad the policy is done with, but the damage has been done for generations.

I'm a little surprised that they take non Han Chinese wives, though, or non East Asian wives. Figured that'd be a bigger issue, but I guess maybe when you're really poor and have no choice, it's acceptable?

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
The Chinese government is terrible, but this is not isolated to China. This is a global problem.

True but in China this seems to be orchestrated and encouraged by the state which is not the case in western countries, women from Burma(Myanmar), Laos and other southeast Asian nations are also effected by this.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I can see why the Pakistani government is turning a blind eye to this:

Christians are targeted because they are one of the poorest communities in Muslim-majority Pakistan. The trafficking rings are made up of Chinese and Pakistani middlemen and include Christian ministers, mostly from small evangelical churches, who get bribes to urge their flock to sell their daughters. Investigators have also turned up at least one Muslim cleric running a marriage bureau from his madrassa, or religious school.

Overwhelmingly, Christian girls are being targeted.

Also:

It said Pakistan, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea and Vietnam have "all have become source countries for a brutal business."
Almost all of east and south Asia are being targeted, specifically the poorest communities.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little surprised that they take non Han Chinese wives, though, or non East Asian wives. Figured that'd be a bigger issue, but I guess maybe when you're really poor and have no choice, it's acceptable?

"Wives"

within a month, the woman, who only wants to be known as Sophia to protect her identity, would be back at her parents' home. She escaped what she now believes was a racket to traffic Pakistani women into a life of sexual servitude in China.

Pakistan's Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) told the BBC that "gangs of Chinese criminals are trafficking Pakistani women in the garb of marriage into the sex trade". It said one gang posed as engineers working on a power project while arranging weddings and sending women to China for fees ranging from $12,000 to $25,000 per woman.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This is rage inducing on so many levels. From the trafficking itself, to the governments of both countries doing fuck-all about it because $$, to brokers enriching themselves off human misery, to the courts acquitting those fucks and giving the victims no justice. Fuck everything about this.

Activists and human rights workers say Pakistan has sought to keep the trafficking of brides quiet so as not to jeopardize Pakistan's increasingly close economic relationship with China.
Of fucking course

Meanwhile you have those brokers who are literally enriching themselves off from the systemic abuse and enslavement of women:
But the official said, "the lucrative trade continues." He spoke to the AP in an interview conducted hundreds of kilometers from his place of work to protect his identity. "The Chinese and Pakistani brokers make between 4 million and 10 million rupees ($25,000 and $65,000) from the groom, but only about 200,000 rupees ($1,500), is given to the family," he said.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Fuck Pakistan. This is built into their shitty culture. Not even including these girls sold to China, per UNICEF, Pakistan has the sixth highest number of forced child brides in the world at 2 million kids.

Also, fuck their Muslim-run right wing conservative government:

At the same time, the government has sought to curtail investigations, putting "immense pressure" on officials from the Federal Investigation Agency pursuing trafficking networks, said Saleem Iqbal, a Christian activist who has helped parents rescue several young girls from China and prevented others from being sent there.

"Some (FIA officials) were even transferred," Iqbal said in an interview. "When we talk to Pakistani rulers, they don't pay any attention. "

Asked about the complaints, Pakistan's interior and foreign ministries refused to comment.

Last edited:

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
We need leadership that will not only take a hard line on our own human rights abuses, but also not be afraid to put real pressure on China, Saudi Arabia, Israel, etc. A big problem though are the populations of our nations. Few have the desire to impliment real change.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After seeing constant news like this how can anyone say they rather have China over the US as the world leader?
Who are those people though?
I think most people that are bothered by US hegemony would like no country to behave like they do, rather than have it replaced by a different super-power.

p.s.
I'm not sure how that's really related to this thread since it's not like human trafficking is legal in China. I'm sure they have issues with enforcement, but that's a global issue more than anything I think.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Who are those people though?
I think most people that are bothered by US hegemony would like no country to behave like they do, rather than have it replaced by a different super-power.

p.s.
I'm not sure how that's really related to this thread since it's not like human trafficking is legal in China. I'm sure they have issues with enforcement, but that's a global issue more than anything I think.
Are you serious? That sentiment is on display all the time.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is a global problem. We need get politics and finger pointing at countries / governments out of it.

It needs to be addressed and solved at the UN level.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck Pakistan. This is built into their shitty culture. Not even including these girls sold to China, per UNICEF, Pakistan has the sixth highest number of forced child brides in the world at 2 million kids.

Also, fuck their Muslim-run right wing conservative government:

What a thoroughly depressing and disgusting sentence. 6th highest number... and that number is 2 million...