• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I would love to play as Zelda, but I hope she at least has a more active role in the present, and not be stuck trying to contain the evil.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
if this fucking thing is co-op and you can only play as Zelda in 2 player I'm gonna set the building on fire
office-space-gifs-9.gif

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
More reasonable to assume she'd be playable in some form with how they're presenting this trailer, from the ending of BotW, her new appearance, and the way this game appears to be framed as different and possibly more experimental in tone. Had this been a new entry I would've doubted it but I have a good feeling.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
You'll get your Yiga Clan stealth sections for Zelda and you're going to like it!

Please no, I want to play as Zelda as well, distinct abilities if possible, but I'll settle for a Link clone if need be. Cue the Ubisoft response of women animation is harder to create than men.

Apr 19, 2018
The Legend of Zelda: Depth's Exhale

My theory is that you play as both, and swap back and forth between them, with the partner being computer controlled/following you. Link will be the soldier, well-versed in all weaponry as per Breath of the Wild, with Zelda being able to use... magic. Yes, magic finally returns in a Legend of Zelda! :D There could be a small number of shrines to reacquaint players with the Sheikah Slate powers, as well as new ones to teach Zelda's magic.

The premise of the game would take place at the end of Breath of the Wild: while Calamity Ganon is indeed defeated, his physical remains are actually sealed in the depths of Hyrule Castle, and although Link and Zelda think Hyrule is safe after the events of Breath of the Wild, an external force continues its work in attempting to resurrect him. Personally, I would love for the lore of the Sheikah versus the Yiga to be expanded upon. Yes, the Yiga 'leader' in Breath of the Wild is a bit of a dope, but perhaps he is just a figurehead and the real leadership are elders who are not highly visible, much like Impa is to the Sheikah. Perhaps, like the wise men from A Link to the Past, there are Yiga elders that work to break the seal/counterseal/whatever you want to call it, and are then possessed (or conversely Sheikah elders are possessed) by Ganon when he is resurrected. Each hold dominion over a portion of Ancient Hyrule, with the main mechanism of exploration moving from the seeking of Shrines to the seeking of Ancient Dungeons, which could be hidden anywhere, with the final dungeon of course being located at the Forgotten Temple. ;)

Such a game would need to be much more story driven, which would work well. I'd play it!

Last edited:

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe someone else besides Link is playable just not Zelda. Perhaps it's Midna, or Sheik (Yes I know), or Impa

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still in the odd position of wanting no major changes to how Zelda is represented in the main series and have the same old adventure playing as a female Link.

I really don't like that it goes kind of overlooked that the player, regardless of gender, can share the motivation of Link to save Zelda and Hyrule when the protagonist is even named link in reference to Link being what connects the player to the world.

On the other hand, this game potentially being a co up game is the only thing from my point of view that justify a direct sequel to a Breath of the Wild which also revisits the same Hyrule as botw is the worst 3D Zelda in my opinion.

TheWill

Sep 24, 2018
Hoping she's playable, but knowing Nintendo I really doubt it.

Yeah... I'm kind of surprised people are taking the comment as if it's a good sign. Nintendo has continuously made Zelda either a complete damsel, or at best, an assist character in the games final boss fight. At least in terms of the mainline games, which BotW2 should be considered. I got the impression that she's in a precarious situation from the trailer, with the ground breaking from under neath her and quick snippets of her hand trying to grab something as she's fallen (only for the ghost hand to grab hers? I think? It was pretty quick)

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Even if she's not playable, if we can have her as involved as in spirit track, i will be very happy :

the game isn't liked very much, but this incarnation of Zelda's character is one of the best! She has so much more personality in this game, she's fun

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Even if she isn't playable I hope she quests with Link, I wanted more game after the end of BOTW, like an epilogue where Link and Zelda fix up the castle.

Superman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
日本
That kinda leaves out the thing where by the end of it she unlocked her powers and kept Ganon in-check for 100 years. Seems like this game would be the perfect place to explore these powers.
Sorry, I meant personality-wise but yeah I guess so.. Link could teach her how to fight and she could occasionally unlock more of her powers; even though Link is getting powers at the same time.
To be fair, that was before her powers were unlocked. She was just a civilian with no weapons then.
True, but that's what I meant.. she doesn't seem like the princess that fights unlike the OoT, TP, and WW Zeldas. However, she could learn how to fight so that's cool. Whatever works, I'm down for it.

Gorthaur

Oct 28, 2017
Sincerrly, I hope she's not playable. I find the botw version of Zelda really insufferable and whiny. Just give me a Tetra-like Zelda princess and we'll be fine.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I rather they build a game where you only play as Zelda than try to do something where you control both with different powers or the like, worse case scenario is that she is an npc that follows you around and you can take control for certain puzzles.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
To do Zelda justice she would require a completely different play style. Do people just want her to be a Link clone?

Oct 26, 2017
Saving it for the "big reveal." Long time coming and a huge shame if she isn't.

As long as it isn't forced co-op (friend or AI). Then we are good.

Hmm, it probably would be some form of 'forced co-op', if she's part of the plot at all. It could be as simple as the Cappy co-op in Mario Odyssey (OK maybe not quite that simple)

I can't actually people really believed this....

Some people were blindly posting a photoshopped picture as proof Link was a girl, it was weird.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something that I was thinking when rewatching the trailer and seeing Zelda's mannerism is.. how do you guys think that Zelda can be playable? Because she obviously can't use the same abilities of Link and she's more of a sorcerer. Even so, in Botw she wasn't at the front lines but using magic only at the end with the triforce to destroy ganon. So I wonder how she would be considering that she can't be link and she can't be OP like that ending. lol

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Something that I was thinking when rewatching the trailer and seeing Zelda's mannerism is.. how do you guys think that Zelda can be playable? Because she obviously can't use the same abilities of Link and she's more of a sorcerer. Even so, in Botw she wasn't at the front lines but using magic only at the end with the triforce to destroy ganon. So I wonder how she would be considering that she can't be link and she can't be OP like that ending. lol

In the full ending:
Zelda told Link that her power has dwindled and that she could no longer hear the master sword. It was not clarified that this was temporary or not, but this story element can be used to justify Zelda learning how to be more of a physical fighter.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Sincerrly, I hope she's not playable. I find the botw version of Zelda really insufferable and whiny. Just give me a Tetra-like Zelda princess and we'll be fine.

all the characters that spoke were over the top saterday-morning-cartoon-like. It had more to do with the performances for me. You'd probably get just as much of that wether she is playable or not.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I don't know why you do this to yourselves.

The first part of that answer seemed to imply he doesn't even understand why people would want it...

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Don't hold your breath, although I wouldn't put it past them with a "compromise" where she's an AI guided partner.

My bet however is when she falls and gets trapped with Zombie Gabondorf she'll have to find a way out underground, and Link will have to go his own way.

However, I'd not be against playable Zelda, nor am I ready to bet against a YOUNGER team making it so.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Aonuma always looks surprised when people ask him if we can play as Zelda. It's like that idea is so foreign to him.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Then let her be a sorcerer. It would make for 2 different gameplay styles which is much better than a skin of Link.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
There is zero downside to saying no if she is indeed not playable. So he's either not saying yes because he doesn't want to reveal it yet, or he actually hates everyone who wants to see her be playable.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Sexist concern trolling
I don't see how you can play as Zelda. Does she have the ability to climb?

I think it would have been possible in previous Zeldas or rather they could create a brand new premise to suit her capabilities

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then let her be a sorcerer. It would make for 2 different gameplay styles which is much better than a skin of Link.

Yeah, but that's why I find this difficult to happen because they'll have to create a new system for the entire world for her. And how is she going to climb things and such? It's quite a bit of a work for something reutilizing so many things

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I think the trailer has too much focus on Zelda than for her not to play a more important part in the sequel. More important as in: Not captured, not only needed for the final conclusion.

Leaning towards playable. Wether it's only in certain sections, co-op with the player controlling either Zelda or Link and the AI the other (char switch possible) or as a full blown character next to Link with different skills.

I actually love the idea that Link gets a whole new moveset by a possessed Shiekah/Goddess arm and Master Sword, while Zelda takes over the well known Link moveset from BotW and fights with weapons and Shiekah-Slate. Maybe have her get the weapons of the Champions as some base weapons?
Of course, basic skills need to be the same between them ... like Zelda using bombs to remove obstacles and Link arm-hammers them away, but i think they could add a nice chunk of variety in there.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's like: "I can't tell you."
But on the inside, he's like: "Fuck, why didn't I just say no? Now there will be huge backlash when we announce that only Link is playable!"

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Prediction:

There's 100% going to be an entire trailer dedicated to revealing that the game is focused around both being playable.

When playing by yourself you can swap between them and do like 80% of the content in the game primarily with either one. There will be like 20% that will need one specifically or both.

Since this is the first Zelda developed with the Switch in mind from the beginning, you can bet your bottom dollar that this will be the game that introduces full co-op to the series for the first time. Pass your friend a joy-con (or for most a second pro controller) and the entire game is playable in co-op.

Link will be focused on the Sheika Slate Runes from BotW, Melee, and Bow combat. He may lose access to the magic rods and elemental arrows from BotW to give Zelda a more unique flavor to her combat/puzzle solving.

Zelda will have Magic (accessed in a similar way to the rune menu from BotW, fire, ice, lightning abilities, plus perhaps some utility stuff like reflect and short range teleport), Bow combat, and some kind of science focus (unique interacitons with the environment, a small mobile Guardian turret, something like that).