• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
imagine having such little faith in your GOTY game developers that you think that just because they played a game that they found inspiriational they'll suddenly copy every single aspect of it.

And of course they found it inspiring. It's the highest rated game of the gen alongside BOTW, and in many ways the 2 games complete eachother. They are both incredible.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
its not my fault you have the worlds narrowest view of what inspiration means

Ahh, a personal insult, with zero connection to the discussion that was taking place beforehand. I reckon in some circles that's the official offramp from discourse or rather the: "I've got nothing."? Alright then, good evening to you too.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Thats interesting. Botw is like the polar opposite of rdr2 in open world design.

I hate rdr2 passionately.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Thats interesting. Botw is like the polar opposite of rdr2 in open world design.

It honestly is. I have a hard time understanding what people mean by "They complete each other". That's a take I haven't heard before at ALL. So very different in approach and design. About as polar opposite as you can get without changing the genres involved.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
And? I mean, if we were talking about RDR3 then you would have my sword. But we are talking about Zelda. Put it this way, when designing he next COD lets have them start talking about how much they love splatoon... RDR is RDR. And Zelda aint RDR. Its nothing like it outside of a horse and open world which these days damn near every adventure game has to some degree. I don't and MANY OTHERS don't want anything from RDR seeping into this franchise. Its great as it is. Let RDR do RDR.
So how do you feel about the fact that the devs of BOTW have gone on record saying that they were influenced by Skyrim, Far Cry, AC, and The Witcher 3?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
So how do you feel about the fact that the devs of BOTW have gone on record saying that they were influenced by Skyrim, Far Cry, AC, and The Witcher 3?

I remember the Skyrim quote from a long while back before I played BOTW even. I remember feeling about exactly the same: Let me quote myself from this thread:

I mean. I don't blame people for being a little worried. Have a little faith though, but yeah still....

Ever so slightly apprehensive, but faith nonetheless. These ARE professionals we are talking about.

Oct 26, 2017
Being inspired by doesn't mean copying something. We're talking about some of the best game Devs currently working. Inspiration to any creative is being excited about how someone else solved a problem and getting the input to pursue your own solutions.
You can bet your ass that RDR2 Devs were also inspired by many games including Botw.

That's just how creative work... works.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
I've got hundred of hours play time on BotW. I've only got 4 hours play time on RDR2 before I sold it. Then again it's the over realistic gameplay that turned me off completely from RDR2, not the world. The world is pretty but everything else is a chore.

Jan 10, 2018
Not playing RDR2 when you are trying to develop a major open world game would be very awkward. It's a great example of what works well and what doesn't work well in the genre. Any good game director would recommend his team to play it.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
And? I mean, if we were talking about RDR3 then you would have my sword. But we are talking about Zelda. Put it this way, when designing he next COD lets have them start talking about how much they love splatoon... RDR is RDR. And Zelda aint RDR. Its nothing like it outside of a horse and open world which these days damn near every adventure game has to some degree. I don't and MANY OTHERS don't want anything from RDR seeping into this franchise. Its great as it is. Let RDR do RDR.

Really odd that you guys seem to somehow feel threatened by that
Not us feeling threatened thats just literally what you guys are feeling over it. Botw took from skyrim and far cry so did we get guns, drug dealers, bethesda jank etc? So younger devs playing rdr2 is somehow bad coz yall dont want anything coming in here from that like what lol. Did yall even play rdr2? Tell me who's threatened here 😂 poor zelda will have too many animations now amirite? You gave a childish respond to which i quoted you. Still childish.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Not playing RDR2 when you are trying to develop a major open world game would be very awkward. It's a great example of what works well and what doesn't work well in the genre.

Well, we can agree on that. Gameplay flow and narrative are the things I would worry about them changing. It worked well in BOTW and came in the right doses. I really don't want to have to experience another "Other M" situation where it felt like whoever had the pen was trying too hard. But I have faith, they did such a great job the first go around I don't think they would blow the shop on the sequel. But I've seen other studios do it, so I remain cautiously optimistic.

????????? coz ?????????? 😂 ?????????? poor zelda ???????? amirite? ???????? Still childish.

Okay.... Good talk friend.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"Why are you guys so threatened that I'm freaking out over a sequel of an open world game that already wore its influences on its sleeve heaping praise on one of the most popular and critically acclaimed open world games ever?"

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aonuma: "I've heard that a lot of younger staff on our team played RDR2 and are inspired by it. So you'll definitely see stuff from that game in the next Zelda, especially the deez."

IGN: "What are deez?"

Aonuma: "DEEZ NUTS! HA! GOT EEEM!"

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If they took inspiration from Skyrim and turned it into BOTW just imagine what they'l do when inspired by RDR. Im hyped.

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Not the first time they've been inspired by the West. RDR 2 is fantastic game, with one of the best Open Worlds of the gen

Oct 27, 2017
Not that we needed another example of gamers not understanding game development or even what the word "inspired" means but here we are.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of good things and a lot of bad things to take away from RDR2. Those bad things deter me from probably ever returning to RDR2 and the good things aren't enough to make me want back in.

It's a great game to take inspiration from. Characters and world blow BOTW out of the water, so it's a fantastic idea to do some borrowing.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
First though: "Fuck... Can't wait to accidentally attack Zelda when I'm trying to talk to her."
Second thought: "Ah well, as long as we get proper dungeons I don't really care."

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully the young staff were inspired by the sense of awe from Red Dead 2 open world and not the poor game mechanics from it.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure they will limit the RDR2 influence to not ruin the game. I mean RDR2 has its good parts too, right?

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2 and BoTW are my 2 favorite games this gen, so that could be interesting. Wonder what specific elements that's inspiring them.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If they take inspiration from the world building and storytelling then awesome. I just hope they stay clear of the control and mission design. RDR2 was a beautiful story but a bad video game.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda designers will lift the things that work and ignore the mostly terrible parts of RDR2.
I trust Nintendo.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love how Zelda is embracing Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Skyrim and now RDR2.

The salt from people calling those games garbage is delicious.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I would love to play a Zelda with an emotional engaging story. The gameplay of RDR 2 should be no inspiration for any studio.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I hope what they take from it is storytelling and voice acting

If link refuses to run in hub areas and has brush epona all the time I'll be pissed

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see people aren't overreacting in the slightest, because that would be embarrassing.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
RDR2 is better than BotW, so I'm ok with this.

I dunno.

The gameplay (in mission) of RDR2 is very on rails and feels a generation or two behind the free form gameplay of BotW.

In BotW you approach every situation as you see fit. Similar to Phantom Pain.

In RDR2 if you step a few feet off the designated path or don't go along with the scripted events then the mission is over. Similar to GTA.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I dunno.

The gameplay (in mission) of RDR2 is very on rails and feels a generation or two behind the free form gameplay of BotW.

In BotW you approach every situation as you see fit. Similar to Phantom Pain.

In RDR2 if you step a few feet off the designated path or don't go along with the scripted events then the mission is over. Similar to GTA.

BotW became boring for me well before RDR2 did, and I massively prefer fantasy to modern settings. I don't know, everything felt kind of meaningless in Zelda.