• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, gamer expectations for anniversaries are so silly. They're just silly and now we've reached a point where you HAVE to celebrate every 5 years or it means you don't care about the franchise.

Anniversary stuff should be surprises and fun. Things like concert series, merch, etc. Not this expectation that we have to have games, collections, etc every 5 years.
Huh? These were expectations Nintendo themselves set.

In reality, the Switch should be backwards compatible with the Wii U.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo keeping those ports in their pocket for the next software drought.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be buying Zelda Game & Watch for sure, otherwise better hang on tight to your N64, GC, 3DS and Wii/Wii U copies of all the other 3D Zelda games that AREN'T Skyward Sword. Talk about just an incredibly bizarre decision not to do a simple console collection especially in light of Mario 3D All Stars.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Makes sense, there's no way they could fit in releasing WW/TP before the anniversary is over, there's just too busy of a time. Best leave it for later.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

What, you mean because of Mario? Because celebrating one anniversary that way doesn't mean that now every anniversary is set that way. In terms of what Nintendo promised, we're GETTING things like Skyward Sword for the anniversary.

Nintendo doesn't always celebrate their series anniversaries in huge ways. Sometimes it lines up, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes they can get a game out, sometimes they can't.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we need a reverse of this image.

9lVc5_nZouGzwTeGqJp0f2nXq3Hkd6iN4NcezGN8D3I.jpg

Metroid is actually getting a new game for it's 35th.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
They really should have done a collection of sorts. I'm not sure how Aonuma or anyone else thinks that one Zelda HD title and a Game and Watch system is enough.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still holding out hope for TWP HD, I've never played it and have been itching to. I just don't want to purchase a WiiU or Gamecube just for it.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What, you mean because of Mario? Because celebrating one anniversary that way doesn't mean that now every anniversary is set that way. In terms of what Nintendo promised, we're GETTING things like Skyward Sword for the anniversary.

Nintendo doesn't always celebrate their series anniversaries in huge ways. Sometimes it lines up, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes they can get a game out, sometimes they can't.
You can't see how people saw Nintendo porting a bunch of Mario games to the Switch meant they'd likely do the same thing for Zelda, and then instead they end up porting what is considered the worst 3D Zelda game, and creating some Game & Watch handheld?

Yikes at Pikmin, Star Fox, and Captain Falcon being in that

Oct 25, 2017
Big ol' bummer. It's crazy that, with all the HD remaster rumors, Nintendo just came out and were like "We're not gonna do that shit, stop asking."

Jan 21, 2021
I'm sure WW HD and TP HD will be re-released eventually, it just doesn't have to be this year. But at least we got a cool look at BOTW 2 and that Game & Watch looks great.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
This is incredibly disappointing. I still buy Nintendo, but they honestly just piss me off most of the time.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

How, how can you make the Switch backwards with the Wii U?

The hardware isn't anywhere close to being the same. Like they're not even in the same ballpark.

Just the CPUs themselves are so radically different that any chance of BC is basically not possible.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
FFS this presentation as a whole was awful for me personally besides Dread and the bit they showed of BOTW 2 everything was a miss for me, I really wanted to see OoT and MM Remastered so I could retire my Wii U

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
You can't see how people saw Nintendo porting a bunch of Mario games to the Switch meant they'd likely do the same thing for Zelda, and then instead they end up porting what is considered the worst 3D Zelda game, and creating some Game & Watch handheld?

People could expect that but it would be silly. There is no expectation of that. Nintendo has always done all kinds of different things. Sometimes Zelda gets more, sometimes Mario gets more. They're never treated the same, at all, when they do things for their anniversaries. I never once had the expectation that just because we got the Mario collection, we'd get the Zelda one.

On the GameCube, Zelda got a collection that Mario didn't. Sometimes one series would get attention for its anniversary. They've never treated every anniversary exactly the same.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Backwards compatibility with the Wii U was impossible. They have entirely different architectures (PowerPC vs ARM), different input methods (dual screen vs single screen), and media formats (discs vs carts).

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I kinda wish they would rerelease the actual Zelda Game and Watch. I mean I want both, but I've always wanted to try that.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yikes at Pikmin, Star Fox, and Captain Falcon.
How, how can you make the Switch backwards with the Wii U?

The hardware isn't anywhere close to being the same. Like they're not even in the same ballpark.

Just the CPUs themselves are so radically different that any chance of BC is basically not possible.
First off, Nintendo did that to themselves.

Second, Microsoft found a way.

Also, don't pretend like they're not in the Sony territory of doing this type of stuff intentionally so they can turn around and charge $60 for a port.

Artadius

Avenger
Jan 15, 2018
Lets spend time money and resources on making re-releases of Advance Wars (should have been held for a hopefully inevitable sequel) and old Mario Party boards (should have been DLC for previous game) and Mario Sunshine (one of the weakest games in the series).... but let us ignore what fans have been wanting for so long in terms of re-releases or remasters (Mario Galaxy 2, WW/TP) for Switch.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
$60 for Skyward Sword… yeah no, I have no interest in anything Zelda-related this year it seems.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Ooof, I was really hoping to play Wind Waker again, looks like I'm going to have to fire up the ol' Wii U.

Refuse to play Skyward Sword ever again.

Metro Cow

Nov 28, 2020
My quiet hope now is that they might announce N64/Gamecube NSO in September with some Zelda games on it. Only reason I can think of not to make easy money off some quick ports.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Was hoping we would get Zelda pin missions like how Mario got at least. Then again, considering how much of a hassle getting the Mario pins, maybe it is for the best.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
If anything I'm annoyed that the Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch was shorted a game compared to the Zelda Game & Watch.

Should've thrown Super Mario Land on there too for shits/giggles.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding out hope that they are waiting until after Skyward Sword since they dont want to canibalize sales of that port before releasing two other HD ports for more beloved games.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Going from PowerPC to a much more powerful X86 processor is not even close to going from PowerPC to a bit more powerfull ARM.

Not to mention, Microsoft has years of experience in things like virtualization. Microsoft can leverage that experience into getting older 360 and Xbox games to work.

Nintendo doesn't.

And if I remember, isn't the Tegra chips in the Switch just off the shelf chips with no customization.

starsleep3

Oct 25, 2017
Not trolling or being sarcastic - but was Jeff Grubb lying when he said there would be a Zelda collection? He seemed so certain...

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Basically why release Twilight Princess/Wind Waker in 2021 when we can just do it in 2022 when theirs a empty period

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Good that no other games are planned for the anniversary. Means that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess won't be delisted when they get ported.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Fine by me. Gonna avoid Skyward Sword and would've avoided buying those two other ~20 year old ports as well.

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
It is a bummer but I never thought they were going to announce it with Skyward Sword on the horizon- figured it would be announced after that release if it exists