• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you're calling for an end to unrest, but not calling out police brutality, not calling for health care as a human right, not calling for an end to housing discrimination, all you're asking for is the continuation of quiet oppression.

Resetera .... people are tired of being peaceful as they want change and can't stop as they don't want to just wait until it happens again.

Because we all know that it will.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, that's actually what most of them want. The number of "I am horrified by the murder, but can't they just be peaceful about getting killed" on my Facebook feed the last 48 hours is horrifying.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
She's absolutely right. I'm reminded of Dr. King's words about negative peace being the absence of tension, vs the presence of justice:

Dr. Martin Luther King said:
"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

There will never be a convenient time for real justice, and there can never be peace without justice.

As an aside, an excellent book relevant to these events is free online right now from Haymarket Books:
www.haymarketbooks.org

Who Do You Serve, Who Do You Protect?

Explores the reality of US police violence against Black, Brown and Indigenous communities.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that's actually what most of them want. The number of "I am horrified by the murder, but can't they just be peaceful about getting killed" on my Facebook feed the last 48 hours is horrifying.
Like I said about most of these allies a couple of days ago; they're adversaries, obstacles, or scenery. Anyone of that mentality is option B.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen so many "Murder is bad, but-"s the past couple of days and it's absolutely infuriating. They say murder is bad then spend 90% of their breath on why the protests are worse while completely glossing over systematic murder and oppression.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Regarding housing discrimination, that unfortunately goes beyond class and requires better federal legislation. And she's right, it's a crucial part of leveling the playing field for everyone. I have stories from black friends that are pretty shocking.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
Regarding housing discrimination, that unfortunately goes beyond class and requires better federal legislation. And she's right, it's a crucial part of leveling the playing field for everyone. I have stories from black friends that are pretty shocking.
It's no joke, and this isn't some historical artifact, that type of shit still happens to this day in many areas.

www.nytimes.com.

What Happens When Black People Search for Suburban Homes (Published 2019)

An undercover investigation on Long Island found that real estate agents treated people of color unequally 40 percent of the time.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another reason why people are protesting in every state... because it Happens all over America, people have had enough

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe this Bernie Bro would try and co-opt the protests by saying there are intersectional factors at play that contribute to a wider scope of oppression smh

Oct 27, 2017
This is the frustrating thing with politics. Local representatives tend to understand the problems and what's really as stake but the further you go up the chain the more Willfully ignorant they become to the actual problems.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the people who oppose the protests also know this but they don't care. If they did care they wouldn't oppose it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
its honestly time to slap some legislation call it the the accountability in policing act or something.

there is literally a full litany of things that would overnight help change the trajectory of policing in America.

If anyone is interested this site actually breaks all of it down.

www.joincampaignzero.org

Campaign Zero

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's 1000% correct.

One thing people need to come to terms with is that we are literally using the Police to tame the excesses of Capital. Cops are here to militantly and violently solve issues of poverty and homelessness. They make sure marginalized populations aren't causing issues for everyone else still useful to Capital.

In my state the governor had the very genius plan of fixing our transit system by literally hiring hundreds of cops to patrol stations and catch fare beaters. These cops were deployed mostly in marginalized areas where income inequality is stark and not surprisingly where mostly black and brown people live. Essentially we're taxing Black and Brown bodies To fund the transit system. the very people who have trouble paying the fare. We do this instead of redistributing wealth to areas where it's needed. The governor also decided the police needed billions more in funding while cutting funding to Medicaid and Schools in the midst of a pandemic.

This is what we do. Enact austerity and then use the Police to tame the consequences of such policies.

"We underfunded the transit system to the point where it's literally decaying? Welp guess we gotta get some cops in to terrorize people of color and tax their existence." "Our housing policies lead to homelessness? Welp, let's get the cops to remove them from our sights and bus them to a different state."

If we want to roll back the Police state we have to get away from using it to solve structural issues and demand redistribution policies.

Last edited:

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
She's literally going to be President one day.

mentalfloss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only solution to this problem is voting in the right government.

Calling shit out and rioting is just as useless as peaceful protests.

If AOC becomes president, she will deserve credit. Don't glorify her now, she's as effective as Bernie was.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If AOC becomes president, she will deserve credit. Don't glorify her now, she's as effective as Bernie was.
if you don't speak up now and do something about it... how much longer and how many more black people have to die before it all just happens?

people can't wait any longer

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What's the "right government"? A Democratic president and a Democratic Congress? You'd need far more radical politicians in larger numbers than we have at present to commit to anything that even comes close to solving the structural problems at play here. This stuff goes on when Democrats are in office too, because they have plenty of incentive to keep things "stable", to serve the capitalist class, to seek a negative peace, etc.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

What is the right government to you? Because Democrats basically control Minnesota and they let this shit fly. Hell one of the (now former thank god) frontrunners for VP literally let the cop that killed George Floyd off the hook years ago.

You shouldn't have to vote on whether or not you get to be slaughtered like cattle by institutionalized racists.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC

Unfortunately the state only speaks the language of money and violence, they don't even hear you when you peacefully protest. It's pure capitalist propaganda to conflate property damage with real violence. You don't register until you start blocking traffic, damaging property, or attacking police. Then, all of a sudden you get their attention. Why? Because capital runs the show, the cops serve capital.

That's the reason that when there's a movement that actually threatens the capitalist status quo - especially their wealth/power - it is brutally crushed. But when armed white nationalists occupy statehouses they are tolerated.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
AOC āœŠšŸ¾ I hope her huge presence signifies a more overarching shift in politics. We need people who first and foremost are about treating people like PEOPLE.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

ahhh classic moderate nonsense.