• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
There are scales here that people don't understand. Facebook has become the internet to a lot of people... to a lot of the world for that matter. They are the primary source of news and information. They aggregate so much data that the world uses. People look towards Facebook to know what's going on in the world. And this wasn't done by happenstance, they didn't stumble into this. Facebook purposefully manipulated and engineered themselves to become this monolith. When they essentially become the sole source for news for many (by design) they can't suddenly say "Oh.. well... people should go independently research for themselves the claims of these rich politicians that choke ad networks with their lies. It's not our fault." Especially when they are actively working on stamping down any other alternative options to do that.

Their platform is the defacto platform, and they need to shoulder the responsibility as such.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
His position on this is completely at odds with basic functioning democracy. It cannot be allowed. The company should be massively fined until it complies with basic decency and honesty in relation to political advertising. Absolutely scandalous.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what actual substance was there in that exchange? I don't get what is so controversial about not explicitly fact-checking politicians. It isn't Facebook's job to make sure politicians do not lie. And "spin" is often just more subtle lies.

As a politician I'm going to run ads about NineConsonants being a child raping cannibal and his family being nothing but a bunch of in bred degenerates who also enjoy child raping and canibbalism. Going to run these ads non stop on facebook including places your friends, acquaintances and anyone else you might know will see them.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
His position on this is completely at odds with basic functioning democracy. It cannot be allowed. The company should be massively fined until it complies with basic decency and honesty in relation to political advertising. Absolutely scandalous.

As it stands, we allow political ads to be broadcasted regardless of veracity.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
As a politician I'm going to run ads about NineConsonants being a child raping cannibal and his family being nothing but a bunch of in bred degenerates who also enjoy child raping and canibbalism. Going to run these ads non stop on facebook including places your friends, acquaintances and anyone else you might know will see them.
We will also make a point that NineConsonants is a flag burning America hater and that he uses Constitution daily as a toilet paper, and at one point also worked to overthrow the US government with the help of other America haters, including the American Cannibal Society.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Because not everything is Facebook's responsibility. Politicians shouldn't lie. I think we all agree with that. He made his argument that the company believes that they shouldn't be the ones deciding what politicians can say on their political ads when it comes to fact-checking. It has consequences and it has merits. If they did take down ads based on fact-checking, it opens the flood-gates to dividing between lies and spin. Politicians lie a lot, and that's a part of their campaign. Look at how much Trump lies. Should his lies not be recorded for what they are? That's at least Facebook's argument. It's a decision that can be understandably disagreed on, but politicians are ultimately the ones responsible fir

Yes, they are responsible for their platform and as it is, there is no legal requirement to make sure politicians do not lie on your platform. So it doesn't make sense to try and use legal recourse for it.

Nah, I just find these Congress inquiries for both Facebook and Google really disappointing. I have different views about tech companies on here than most. I've been claimed to work at both Google and Facebook by people here as if having my views is so radical. Why is it that I'm on a "crusade" but the others aren't? I'm just sharing my thoughts on it. And to be clear, I do think there are issues with tech companies, but I really disagree with how these issues are prioritized.

I'm wondering, would Facebook take down ads from Pepsi that said that Coca Cola included cancerous toxins, or some other such over the top lie to smear it's competitor. I presume it would. Or it should. Why is politics different? If anything political discourse should be, needs to be way above that. This is democracy, this is the very crux of democracy, having facts, not disinformation. With such widespread acceptance of disinformation then you have to see that democracy is really going to be soon on the way out. Facebook is huge and it's influence is more direct and more widespread than any other media we have had up until now. It is almost ubiquitous among the population. This stuff is important and it changes minds. You cannot let lies seep out there among the masses. Facebook has the responsibility, just as a newspaper has a responsibility to ensure that everything posted on it's platform is correct and not inciting hatred or spreading disinformation. End of.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Then you clearly weren't around for 2017 when those were exact claims from "swing voters"

I'm sensing another sealioner like derder here..

His point is that he isn't letting humanity/Americans off the hook for falling for lies like trickle down economics and climate change being fake long past the time analyses proved these statements false. There is no need to be obtuse about him talking about the larger picture of how we process lies for years.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I watched some of this when they were airing on cnbc yesterday. Didnt catch the aoc part or they may not have aired it. Anyways watching this dinosaur congressmen and women ask questions that they have no idea what they are even saying was just embarrassing half the time. Zuckerberg clearly didnt want to be there at all and I'm surprised he still shows up for these things.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
His point is that he isn't letting humanity/Americans off the hook for falling for lies like trickle down economics and climate change being fake long past the time analyses proved these statements false. There is no need to be obtuse about him talking about the larger picture of how we process lies for years.
It's fine if he doesn't want to let people off the hook but at the end of the day he also shouldn't then put alcohol in front of alcoholics and pretend it's only their fault if they relapse. People will learn what's true when they aren't also fed a deluge of falsehoods at the same time.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
While I understand that nothing will come of any of this, because hey man we live in a society and all that, was it ever satisfying to see this guy get made to look like an absolute fucking clown.

I guess you missed the other twitter link in the middle of page 1. Congress didn't only send Facebook a set of questions that he was going to be asked about live. They also sent him preliminary legislation they were crafting.

If Facebook doesn't shape up they'll get regulated as long as the dems have enough political strength to do so in 2021.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm trying to find these cathartic, and am impressed by AOC's and Joyce Beatty's performances but it's all just noise, well intentioned, well researched noise, but nothing of consequence will come from this. Facebook is above governments. Zuck can squirm and wiggle all he wants, look like an idiot, but he can also totally get away with the Cambridge Analytica stuff, and just a book full of other heinous shit Facebook has it's name under. He will totally get away with this (maybe some sort of slap on the wrist or legislation they will stymie and lobby hard against in the future)

No consequences for the ultra-rich in the western world, none. Fuck.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the same reason ABC or any of the other networks won't let them run overt lies in political ads, it's dangerous.
Networks dont regulate campaign ads. The federal government does. They should do so in this case instead of leaving it up to facebook. They're the last company that should be given more control over our politics.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Networks dont regulate campaign ads. The federal government does. They should do so in this case instead of leaving it up to facebook. They're the last company that should be given more control over our politics.
yes i know this. ABC doesn't try and air everything offered to them because they know the government won't allow it. that's what i meant.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Everything is race focused in the US.
Why should there be a quota? This concept doesn't exist in Europe
You hire the best qualified regardless of their backgrounds .
The policy of hiring the best qualified people with no regard for their backgrounds naturally favors the privileged, meaning those with better social standing, economic status, and inherited advantages.

When you don't account for the inequality caused by factors like slavery, segregation, and past and current discrimination, you automatically reinforce the deeply imbalanced status quo that tends to hand more and better opportunities to people who have less bullshit holding them back.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That was brutal. But still, asking the CEO to know everything that is going on inside a company is a bit dishonest and the questions are obviously set up to make him look bad. :p

It sounds like he was given a packet explaining everything he was being asked that he did not bother to read or get the answers for.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

See below.

Section 315 of the Federal Communications Act of 1934 states:

"If any licensee shall permit any person who is a legally qualified candidate for any public office to use a broadcasting station, he shall afford equal opportunities to all other such candidates for that office in the use of such broadcasting station: Provided, That such licensee shall have no power of censorship over the material broadcast under the provision of this section."

It also specifically says licensees can't censor "material broadcast by any such candidate."

Broadcasters are bound by that act and therefore can't reject a presidential candidate's ad, even if contains false information. (The candidates do have to abide by disclosure rules to make it clear who paid for the ad.)

Cable news has carved out an exception for itself. So CNN, MSNBC and Fox News aren't necessarily bound by it but by and large they follow it as well.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, could be. :D I imagine he left that for team to take care of, and didn't get briefed before going to the hearing. Probably some heads are going to roll.

You imagine the CEO left something this important to someone else to handle and then didn't follow up with them before the hearing?

Am I reading that right?

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes i know this. ABC doesn't try and air everything offered to them because they know the government won't allow it. that's what i meant.
That still doesn't make it their job to create standards on what is acceptable, just as NineConsonants said.

AOC and all the other congressmen leading the way against facebook on this issue should be the target of meaningless, rhetorical spectacle. It's their job to regulate. Expand the FCC's coverage or propose the authoritarian legislation that forces facebook to comply. This begging is useless.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
That still doesn't make it their job to create standards on what is acceptable, just as NineConsonants said.

AOC and all the other congressmen leading the way against facebook on this issue should be the target of meaningless, rhetorical spectacle. It's their job to regulate. Expand the FCC's coverage or propose the authoritarian legislation that forces facebook to comply. This begging is useless.
it's the government's job yes. that's what i am saying.that's what i said to NineConsonants

Oct 27, 2017

I thought it was best practice to let companies have a chance to behave before forcing them?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
AOC hit him with a quick hook to the face.

This woman (Joyce Beatty) MURDERED him.

Zuckerberg came across like a kid who had just be caught pushing in front of another in the assembly line. He got a stern talking to. Zuckerberg to bed without cookies! Seriously, Zuckerberg looked forlorn. Shows how out of touch he is. All his miserable answers should have consequences.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This is a terrible take.

Facebook has a responsibility as a large corporation with a monopoly on social media to make sure that what they're displaying on their site is at the very least true. Zuckerberg knows how big of a role the site played in how the 2016 election panned out due to Russian bots and ads having a jolly old time manipulating old people and the rest of the gullible electorate to voting for Trump. That's why AOC brought up Cambridge Analytica as basically the first question.

If TV stations can draw a line as to what ads they air or not based on how true they are, why can't Facebook? And if Facebook can't handle that, why not just ban all political ads? It's just a drop in the bucket in advertisement money. The answer is because Zuckerberg is a piece of shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Corporations hate when the government has to come in an apply regulations so they tend to try their best to self regulate (to varying degree of success). A lot of the groundwork happening here by AOC and others is establishing that Facebook doesn't have the interest or event the capability to regulate themselves (and also that they have essentially formed a monopoly) so that in the future regulations can be brought forth on the back of the work done here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was best practice to let companies have a chance to behave before forcing them?

If you are referring to self regulation then they are doing precisely that. Any FCC oversight or legislation as presently constituted would lead to the same exact outcome, as the government doesn't regulate political speech/ads outside of the subset of buzzwords that Zuckerberg kept repeating.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Facebook has been around for years. Zuckerberg has been in these hearings several times. Companies period had their chance decades ago before the FCC regulated political campaign ads. This isnt a new issue.

Facebook isnt any different on this issue. There is no reason why online political advertising cant be lumped in with the existing regulations.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Then what should the legal recourse be for politicians that knowingly lie in their ads?
Yknow, I'm sure you're a great person irl, but can you please fuck all the way off with this derailing BS?

It shouldn't be controversial to say that a corporation with the ability to advertise to billions of people should have some oversight on their political advertising. I'm not gonna engage with you further on this because I don't think you're even remotely arguing in good faith.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
TV stations can draw a line as to what ads they air or not based on how true they are, why can't Facebook? And if Facebook can't handle that, why not just ban all political ads? It's just a drop in the bucket in advertisement money. The answer is because Zuckerberg is a piece of shit.

TV networks do no such thing. They are bound by FCC rules.

Yknow, I'm sure you're a great person irl, but can you please fuck all the way off with this derailing BS?

It shouldn't be controversial to say that a corporation with the ability to advertise to billions of people should have some oversight on their political advertising. I'm not gonna engage with you further on this because I don't think you're even remotely arguing in good faith.

The US doesn't currently regulate political ads/speech outside of the subset of exceptions he kept mentioning.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It does when you continue to do the same thing over multiple threads despite people's efforts to educate you
Excuse me, but "educate"? That's seems like a great way to stifle discussion, by assuming you have all the facts. That Facebook is a danger to democracy is after all an opinion, not fact.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I don't really see the satisfaction in all this. Most of what she had to say was clearly aimed at attacking him. And if that's her agenda, cool. But it doesn't do anything but get her political points, I suppose. Most of that time was spent her asking questions and cutting off answers.

I'm very affected by these diversity issues, and I don't see how my concerns are being addressed when even I feel like it's a unproductive exchange.

She showed me that cancelling Facebook years ago was good for more than 1 reason. Marks muttering over basic questions were "no" she asked him poignant specific questions. She told him to answer yes or no as the format dictates. There is no debate for what she was asking. There were no gotchas. Just amazingly simple questions that anyone who actually cared about the topic could answer. Esp if he said he would read the material previously. None of her questions had legal consequences. If he told the truth.

He had time to respond when the answers were yes. I didn't even know that sellout ben Carson even got in his ass for redlining.

This was probably the most important exchange on civil rights during the hearing.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
If they (FB and Twitter) start censoring political ads then it will most likely result in them being bound by FCA/FCC which in turn makes this a moot point as Federal law requires broadcast networks to run political candidate ads without vetting them for lies or falsehoods.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Facebook is isn't a broadcast network. It's unregulated and can reject/censor any ads it wants. Cable networks are still free to reject campaign ads, and even broadcast networks are free to reject issue ads from candidates (like the Trump vs migrant caravan ad) so what makes you think the FCC will magically come to regulate Facebook?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everything is race focused in the US.
Why should there be a quota? This concept doesn't exist in Europe
You hire the best qualified regardless of their backgrounds .
Generally, the people from Europe thinking this are white people, before implying racism isn't really an issue in Europe. Most minorities know better.

CaughtBeing

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It should be noted, that these line of questioning are completely valid. If facebook is to be the global face front of global currency, they should allow no form of manipulation, which they allowed during the election.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Every time I have seen her do one of these interviews, she is always so, so good at it. The question about running ads saying Republicans voted for her Green New Deal completely caught him off guard and you can tell.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you missed the other twitter link in the middle of page 1. Congress didn't only send Facebook a set of questions that he was going to be asked about live. They also sent him preliminary legislation they were crafting.

If Facebook doesn't shape up they'll get regulated as long as the dems have enough political strength to do so in 2021.
Man I hope it happens but my hopes are not high.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
This is a terrible take.

Facebook has a responsibility as a large corporation with a monopoly on social media to make sure that what they're displaying on their site is at the very least true. Zuckerberg knows how big of a role the site played in how the 2016 election panned out due to Russian bots and ads having a jolly old time manipulating old people and the rest of the gullible electorate to voting for Trump. That's why AOC brought up Cambridge Analytica as basically the first question.

If TV stations can draw a line as to what ads they air or not based on how true they are, why can't Facebook? And if Facebook can't handle that, why not just ban all political ads? It's just a drop in the bucket in advertisement money. The answer is because Zuckerberg is a piece of shit.

Yup. 100% this. TV, Paper and Radio stations have to abide by standards to ensure that they can't broadcast/print bullshit. Now it's understandable that facebook and other online social platforms do not wish to be regulated by government agencies and would prefer to self-regulate. This was perhaps OK many moons ago given that it was believed that many in silicon valley/tech industry have some form of moral compass and self-decency. This is unfortunately not the case any more given how Zucky and friends are basically allowing anyone to say whatever for profit. It's a sad situation but if Zucky is willing to compromise decency and authenticity and truth for dollars then there's no way he can be trusted to "self-regulate". Either have an independent regulations board (filled with people of all demographics, race, ethnicity, age...free of racist alt-right fuckers who pass off as legitimate) that keeps social media in check (kinda like the MPAA for movies...I know its not perfect example but its a good start) or get the government involved. The days of trusting the boys at silicon valley to "self-regulate" and determine what questionable content is acceptable to profit from needs to end.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
If fucking Facebook can't remove political lies from it's platform because oh hey it's too complicated, then it shouldn't allow political ads. It's that simple!

Oooh but Zucky will lose money folks it's not his fault!!

fuck this shit