• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
It's part of why I'm more of a console gamer these days. Also as an IT guy that fiddles with system settings for the job I prefer the more locked experience on consoles as on PC I'm gonna end up fiddling with graphic settings trying to optimize frame rates which again gives that feeling of work.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Definitely not. Gaming on a 34" OLED ultrawide is the furthest thing from my laptop.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
I am able to completely separate work from when I use my PC for leisure, its not even in the same world to me.

Also all the comfy couch apologists should invest in a good PC chair.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Not WFH but I'm able to game at work during my free time so I find it hard to game when I get home because I want to get paid for it

jony

Oct 25, 2017
Psst, you're supposed to game while on the clock.

On a serious note. Get a standing desk and good chair (think Herman Miller not gaming chair). Work standing as much as you can.

Last edited:

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
100% OP.
If I'm playing a game, I don't want to be hunched over my computer. I already do that 8-10 hours a day.
I've really become a mostly console only player, which I never foresaw honestly.
Edit: Streaming PC Games to my shield has been a lifesaver too.

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you OP. For me it started before the pandemic, but being in IT, I'm already hunched over a computer 10 hours a day. I hardly touch my desktop or laptop unless I have to work

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
I really not envy that sort of problem lol, I just close my tools for my job and go have fun, I only play on my switch a little before bed or if it's too cold to be gaming on PC.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Happened to me some 10 years ago. I simply couldn't get home from work to fire up yet another PC in my free time. Went console gaming and never looked back.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
PC is still my primary platform but it's less enjoyable than when I didn't just spend 9+ hours at a computer screen.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Nope because I would jump off a cliff if I had to play shooters with a controller. Mouse and keyboard ftw!!! But I understand thr staring at monitor all day can def be draining

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
No, if anything WFH only makes me play on my PC even more since I bought hardware and stuff to make sitting on the front of my PC as comfortable as possible, either for work or play.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on what I'm playing , I often prefer to keep the laptop setup in my office, simply because it's much more comfortable playing with a m+kb on a desk than any couch solution I've coms across to date. Doesn't really matter if I've been on my Work PC all day as well.

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
I've felt this even before covid. Working an office job as an engineer means sitting at a computer for 8 hours a day. When I get home, it's couch time with my giant oled tv and a console.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
Been working strictly from home for 8 years. Still do most of my gaming from my desk because well I am already here. It's actually my consoles that collect dust because of it.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Jesus people why not just move the pc to the living room and use a controller? No reason to get rid of your PC.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I stopped gaming shortly after I started working in offices in 2004.

I couldn't face sitting in front of a computer all day then going home and doing it again.

I avoid using my PC for anything other than audio production these days. It only ever gets connected to the Internet when it's time to refresh plugin licences.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I haven't been pc focused in a long time, but spending hours on a pc at work even before pandemic WFH made me less interested in the idea of playing games on a pc. At one point I had my pc connected to my living room tv but I never really used it enough to justify it.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope I enjoy playing on my pc even more now plus WFH is the way to me, I don't want to ever go back into the office full time.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I rebuilt my PC when the 3080 launched.

Got one launch day. For retail price.

Carefully built it up with a nice tempered glass case (first for me, usually go metal), good airflow, Noctua cooler. Even some RGB (set to white). Ultrawide monitor.

Lovely bit of kit.

I barely play on it because that desk in our spare room became my office during lockdown for two years, and now we continue to wfh. I want to get the fuck away from that room at the end of the day. Its sad really.

My daugher occaisonally uses the computer to play Apex/Minecraft/Genshin but thats about it.

I have a preorder in for a steam deck, wondering if that might help with streaming to the living room? Also I did partly upgrade it for VR streaming, although I think I finished Alyx on the previous build so haven't really even pushed it there either

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I had to move my gaming PC out of my office. I couldnt work all day in there then spend more time after work gaming in the same room.

Last edited:

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
If I had that issue I'd just hook the PC up to the TV rather than give up all the benefits of the system. But I don't relate, I've worked from home quite a bit in my life and it never made any difference to me.

I really don't like the suggestion every time there's a "does this issue with PCs make you want to switch to consoles" thread that everything is so like for like anyway. There are whole genres I'd be giving up or playing in a fashion I'm uncomfortable with by doing that.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Since getting Starlink I've been able to actually use Steamlink, which has been a total game changer in how I use my PC. There's obviously caveats to the Steam Controller, but it delivers a pretty damn good experience thus far. That has enabled me the ability to extract myself from the study where the PC is, and enjoy some large screen viewing while also inviting my partner to join in.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao no

Imagine not being able to alt tab into Yakuza after a client say some bonehead stuff to piss you off

Throughly enjoyed wfh

Nov 2, 2017
I've been working in the gaming industry for the past 2 years and that's all been WFH so far. I have a very high-end PC with a 3080 but I don't have the luxury to separate my workspace from my work one so I've been playing more games on PS5 compared to PC. After working for over 8-9 hours a day, booting up a game on a PC seems like an extension of work to be honest. So even though my PS5 is connected to my 4K PC monitor and PS5 games being more expensive on console compared to PC in my region, I've been buying and playing games on PS5 more and more.

Oct 31, 2017
This idea that somehow sitting all day on your ass in front of a screen should supposedly be a whole different beast if you are playing on a console rather than a PC never fails to crack me up.

Look, if I'm feeling like I spent too much time in front of a screen, being it a monitor, TV or phone is not going to change a thing.
Chances are I'll feel the urge to do something else entirely.

And if we are talking strictly about comfort… Well, then it's just your own fault for not setting up your PC to be comfortable enough to use.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's not so much i don't want to play games on PC desktop; i'm just more peculiar with what particular games i want to play between my comfy couch and l33t GoKu420xx setup

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Weirdly enough, work from home has made almost all gaming feel like work, but PC gaming especially.

Which is weird cause growing up I always preferred gaming on my laptop to the console.

Nowadays I can only do VR gaming, it's weird. I'll play a bit of Overwatch here and there but after a few minutes I feel "Computer burnout" if that makes sense.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Another thing wfh has ruined for me is music.

That room used to be my music room. Well it still is with guitars/drums and my recording gear but it just feels like work to be in there.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I tried moving my gaming pc to my basement and keeping the office solely for my work pc, but I'm still playing quite a bit more on console than pc since the pandemic started. I use m/kb for most of the games I play on pc and I just can't get comfortable doing that in front of a tv.

My best guess is I went from 70% of my gaming time being on a pc to maybe 40%. There's just too many days where I don't want to be sitting at a desk and only relax by plopping down on the couch.

Nov 12, 2017
work in the tech/gaming/music industry my 'beast' pc is in my lounge room on my LG OLED with an easy setup and been working WFH or out of the office for just over a decade so it depends on what your lifestyle is like it, but sitting at a desk I can't do that anymore.

It doesn't make much difference to me and I just stream to my handhelds when I don't even want to see a monitor/tv screen, everything else I relegate to my PS5,switch, handhelds etc

mookie1515

Oct 25, 2017
This is totally a privilege I know a lot won't have, but I do my WFH in a specific office room away from my living room and gaming PC. The first few weeks of WFH I did work off my gaming PC in that living room, but I burnt out super fast being in the same room for that long. Delineating hard lines between where I work and where I relax was super important. Haven't had a problem since.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
It's actually u increased my likelihood for playing pc games, because I can clock out, switch input and play something on pc for an hour..that same hour I used to have to sit through traffic I now spend doing a little more pc gaming

CardsFall

Jul 31, 2021
100%. I sold my 2080ti back at peak value as I just had no interest sitting in this room after work. That and the consoles have 60 and/or 120fps modes in most games now.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Like others - I've ran into this well before pandemic (actually it's been in the 00s for me) which is why I since invested into having my PC connected to a living room TV since around 2006 or so. For a number of years that meant a wireless-HDMI setup, and more recently(because wireless hit a wall with 4k) an ethernet extender HDMI setup.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
I've been working remote for a while now. I really don't want to spend any more time in my office that I have to so I got a separate gaming PC and hooked it up in the living room.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
When work ends I simply close my work tabs/programs and stop working. Not really an issue for me.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Nope because I would jump off a cliff if I had to play shooters with a controller. Mouse and keyboard ftw!!! But I understand thr staring at monitor all day can def be draining
That's where my PC has basically become a fighting game and fps machine. Everything else i'd rather play in a more comfortable environment, but yeah hell nah am I playing Fortnite/BF/Cod with a controller

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I always use a dedicated pc for gaming and keep it hooked up to the tv. Doing work all day then playing at the same desk sounds awful. Imo playing at a desk sucks in general. a $200 refurb can handle all the work I have to do and I suspect most other people: several browser tabs, a few spreadsheets, pdf reader, and a videoconferencing app. The thought of having two pcs scrambles peoples brains tho.